• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
omg CFN integrating hit statistics to help players get better

my god it is uncanny how many things I've complained about not existing that have ended up in SFV

petghost

Banned
Yeah I'm not terribly invested either atm but am also comforted knowing the roster will eventually be quite large.

Worry more about the mechanics but that's probably silly too.

Infinite

my god it is uncanny how many things I've complained about not existing that have ended up in SFV
That's going to be sick.

What's some other features this game and other can steal from mobas?

Kumubou

I hope the statistics are useful. For all the talk that the World Tekken Federation got for TTT2, the statistics that were offered were pretty lackluster. I don't need to know how much damage I've done overall with light jab (however, a rate version of that could be mildly useful, mainly to show if a character's good buttons/options are being underused). However, if it can get truly in-depth in terms of being able to drill down to some combination of specific ranges, match-ups, and frame advantage situations then I could see that bring really useful for people wanting to become a student of the game and find specific issues to improve.

That's going to be sick.

What's some other features this game and other can steal from mobas?
The biggest feature I can think of would be an in-game broadcaster, where people can watch live tournament matches with commentary (even with multiple commentary tracks). You could then go a step further like Dota 2 and CS:GO do and have a whole event system built in the game for online and offline events where event organizers can set up their own ticketing system and sell event-specific items to help fund the prize pool. Having something like that for community events with fighting games could be a huge help for funding community tournaments.

Coda

We eSports now.

large.gif

Dahbomb

Late to the party but just read up on some CFN features and I am liking what I see. Let's hope the netcode is up to snuff because otherwise all of those features won't mean jack shit.

Oh and EEEEEEEEEEEEEE sports.

Zissou

you're missing the point (re-reading your post just has me mindfucked by just how far off you are, in fact) and calling me a dumbass. lovely. i wouldn't blame someone for thinking she's not japanese. that's not what the discussion was about. I never said or implied anyone was dumb for thinking she's not japanese, just that idea of making her (an anime style character) look 'more asian/japanese' requires some goofy assumptions about race and ignorance of the context of her creation. nice of you to bring that shit in here, though. you can PM me your grievances instead of flaming me in a separate thread. the whole thing got started out with me agreeing with zissou that she looks pretty white but acknowledging/referring to the fact that she's anime as to why that's the case. it's absolutely correct that random folks would think she's European or something. that makes perfect sense. trying to compensate for that by making her look unwhite just doesn't really make sense in the anime/japanese/capcom/video game context, though, and the idea of wanting people or characters to look more like a specific ehtnicity or nationality is not an idea to be taken lightly if we look at history or the world (big jump from anime, I realize, but that's why it's troubling; people slay others for fitting perceived profiles). I'm someone who definitely wishes we'd get more authentic representations. I'm low key butthurt about beard ryu for looking like ben affleck outta Argo, for example.

goddamn it!

it's all good, man. whatevs. I did kinda go on tilt because of some stuff that sounded really silly re: assumptions about race and perception, but let's leave it at that. zissou's a good guy, too, I'm subbed to him on yt.

most of my arguing is a consequence of my mostly braindead job, anyways. grasping for stimulation in all the wrong places. won't blame anyone for rolling their eyes at my self-indulgent paragraphs, I guess. sometimes I slip out of delicately aloof irony and it gets cringey and I edit posts a dozen times. yolo

I don't think we even disagreed all that much. I was never arguing for making characters look more like their backstory would suggest. I was just saying when people call it blonde fighter V or comment on the apparent lack of the diversity in the game, people who try to defend it with 'bu- bu- bu- only two characters are ACTUALLY white!' have a pretty weak argument.

Clawww

I hope the statistics are useful. For all the talk that the World Tekken Federation got for TTT2, the statistics that were offered were pretty lackluster. I don't need to know how much damage I've done overall with light jab (however, a rate version of that could be mildly useful, mainly to show if a character's good buttons/options are being underused). However, if it can get truly in-depth in terms of being able to drill down to some combination of specific ranges, match-ups, and frame advantage situations then I could see that bring really useful for people wanting to become a student of the game and find specific issues to improve.

The biggest feature I can think of would be an in-game broadcaster, where people can watch live tournament matches with commentary (even with multiple commentary tracks). You could then go a step further like Dota 2 and CS:GO do and have a whole event system built in the game for online and offline events where event organizers can set up their own ticketing system and sell event-specific items to help fund the prize pool. Having something like that for community events with fighting games could be a huge help for funding community tournaments.

being able to get data on individual moves/tactics will also help derive balancing data. what an era!

Clawww

I don't think we even disagreed all that much. I was never arguing for making characters look more like their backstory would suggest. I was just saying when people call it blonde fighter V or comment on the apparent lack of the diversity in the game, people who try to defend it with 'bu- bu- bu- only two characters are ACTUALLY white!' have a pretty weak argument.

yeah, for sure. also I think I was extrapolating some strains of your argument into real world scenarios, which was uncharitable and doesn't make sense in hindsight. I'm looking forward to some non-pale, non-yellow haired (why does everyone have that same bright ass color?) additions. even tho I really want guile, haha.

『Inaba Resident』;179195534 said:
CFN seems like its going to be really good. Just got to hope that the netcode is up to snuff or else those features don't really mean thing.
Seriously

They better get this right. So far I've heard nothing about GGPO, numerical pings, changeable frame delay pre-match or any of the stuff SG had implemented for online gameplay. It's already bad enough that ASW hasn't jumped on the GGPO train. I'm gonna flip my lid if we get stuck with delay based netcode for another six years in the biggest fighter of the generation.

Zissou

Seriously

They better get this right. So far I've heard nothing about GGPO, numerical pings, changeable frame delay pre-match or any of the stuff SG had implemented for online gameplay. It's already bad enough that ASW hasn't jumped on the GGPO train. I'm gonna flip my lid if we get stuck with delay based netcode for another six years in the biggest fighter of the generation.

Haven't they already confirmed they're using in-house proprietary roll back netcode?

Seriously

Well it already has rollback netcode instead of input delay so thats good.
We haven't heard anything about numerical pings or anything but I think we'll hear something soon. They seem to be serious about the online this time.
I really hope they tell you who is using a wired connection and who is wireless so I can avoid wireless like the plague

SFV would be my legit fighter of the generation if they could really figure out a way to differentiate wired connections from wireless ones (and we got a toggle option for camera zoom during supers).
Haven't they already confirmed they're using in-house proprietary roll back netcode?
Heard rumblings, but I don't know if this is true.
『Inaba Resident』;179197454 said:
Well it already has rollback netcode instead of input delay so thats good.
We haven't heard anything about numerical pings or anything but I think we'll hear something soon. They seem to be serious about the online this time.
I really hope they tell you who is using a wired connection and who is wireless so I can avoid wireless like the plague
Fantastic idea that sounds easy at a glance, but I don't know how feasible this is.
Has there ever been a multiplayer game that shows whether a player is wired or not?
Never heard of it, but I think I'll ask Mike if something like this is even possible if I ever see him on SG IRC. The online was good enough that the question never really came up.

mbpm1

SFV would be my legit fighter of the generation if they could really figure out a way to differentiate wired connections from wireless ones (and we got a toggle option for camera zoom during supers).

I'd like an option for slow-mo/instant replay like Tekken

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

All of the changes Capcom made were spoken mainly by me and Enzo. I won't look up the posts constantly discussing about this cause its gone in the abyss of NeoGAF but I remember strictly taking about eSports integration with SFV about tournaments and all that jazz. Also with finding a way to not only have the game based on PP and BP so that a loss didn't feel like a total loss, at least you can get something out of it or not lose anything. I swear Capcom is just lurking on GAF now lol. I SEE YOU HAUNTS!

ITS AN ILLUSION!

『Inaba Resident』;179198519 said:
Yeah, I don't know if its possible or not but it'd be really nice to have

I think that might reveal a couple vulnerabilities and make hacking a little easy on other player's accounts if modding became a thing on PS4's in the future. I don't know though since I just started learning about all this stuff.

All of the changes Capcom made were spoken mainly by me and Enzo. I won't look up the posts constantly discussing about this cause its gone in the abyss of NeoGAF but I remember strictly taking about eSports integration with SFV about tournaments and all that jazz. Also with finding a way to not only have the game based on PP and BP so that a loss didn't feel like a total loss, at least you can get something out of it or not lose anything. I swear Capcom is just lurking on GAF now lol. I SEE YOU HAUNTS!

ITS AN ILLUSION!

I think that might reveal a couple vulnerabilities and make hacking a little easy on other player's accounts if modding became a thing on PS4's in the future. I don't know though since I just started learning about all this stuff.

Lots of people have talked about wanting these type of things, in gaf and other places, for a while.

Its not secret and other games have done these things for a while.

Three years ago I would have laughed in your faces if you'd told me I'd be more hyped for SFV than Smash or Guilty Gear, but here we are. I really gotta get me a new laptop.
I'd like an option for slow-mo/instant replay like Tekken
Why not? Let's go crazy.
『Inaba Resident』;179198519 said:
Yeah, I don't know if its possible or not but it'd be really nice to have
SG already has connection strength bars (they pretty much look like standard wifi bars you'd see in any fighters) at the beginning of matches aside from the pre-match numerical pings. If we can't differentiate wired from wireless the former is a simple enough solution.

Kumubou

SG already has connection strength bars (they pretty much look like standard wifi bars you'd see in any fighters) at the beginning of matches aside from the pre-match numerical pings. If we can't differentiate wired from wireless the former is a simple enough solution.
The game can tell if the connection is wired or not -- the various DoA5 releases (of all games!) actually have a wired/wireless indicator.

The game can tell if the connection is wired or not -- the various DoA5 releases (of all games!) actually have a wired/wireless indicator.
Cool

It's honestly not surprising that this could be in DOA. This genre is great at having tons of innovations that are publisher and developer specific. It's greatest weakness is a lack of feature Osmosis, so we end up with a ton of innovations that just pass other companies by. Patents don't help the situation either.

you agree with him, don't you? lol

There's nothing wrong about being intrigued with a character you've never played before. But a lot of people have Annie from Skullgirls level fanaticism when it comes to those characters. And try to justify it by making their 5 minutes mashing on Alpha 3 max on the psp more meaningful than it actually was.

Zissou

There's nothing wrong about being intrigued with a character you've never played before. But a lot of people have Annie from Skullgirls level fanaticism when it comes to those characters.

It's more annoying that these people all come out of the woodwork and then are never seen again once the game actually comes out. There are people who spend more time on roster speculation/hype than they ever actually do with the game.

Do instant overheads even exist at all in SFV? Watching the breakdown I noticed Karin's j.LK was different and didn't look like it'd work like that.

Chun can definitely instant overhead her stomp. Since air legs actually is a decent pressure tool, you can get leg pressure off the stomp or bounce off and get a crossup attempt if you do it like on someone's wakeup. Some people like pressing buttons like if they were Nash, so if you get a counterhit stomp they get popped up into the air and the legs should actually combo after.

It's more annoying that these people all come out of the woodwork and then are never seen again once the game actually comes out. There are people who spend more time on roster speculation/hype than they ever actually do with the game.

A lot of people just play the game and don't really want to partake in discussion on forums. A lot of people just read up on what they want and move on. It's not like everyone needs to say some input, because many times they feel that they don't have anything to contribute to the conversation. There's nothing wrong with just stopping in and saying you are interested in something, they don't need to keep the conversation going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom