• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite

There's nothing wrong about being intrigued with a character you've never played before. But a lot of people have Annie from Skullgirls level fanaticism when it comes to those characters. And try to justify it by making their 5 minutes mashing on Alpha 3 max on the psp more meaningful than it actually was.
Who cares? Let them be fascinated by a character they hope to play I say.

Clawww

There's nothing wrong about being intrigued with a character you've never played before. But a lot of people have Annie from Skullgirls level fanaticism when it comes to those characters. And try to justify it by making their 5 minutes mashing on Alpha 3 max on the psp more meaningful than it actually was.

I don't understand why you feel that excitement isn't as valid or intense because someone hasn't played the old games significantly (or played them at all). you just always seem to find some odd reason to be dismissive. they could just think the character is cool based on design or personality or fighting style. like, what's the underlying logic? that people who have played the character 'extensively' have a more authentic and more valid 'love' for 'their' character? I don't get it brah.

oddly specific

I don't want to accuse him of projection...

Crocodile

Why do you or anybody really care why other people like characters? As long as they aren't being assholes to you or others why does it matter?

It's more annoying that these people all come out of the woodwork and then are never seen again once the game actually comes out. There are people who spend more time on roster speculation/hype than they ever actually do with the game.

So you mean casuals (i.e. the majority of people who buy any fighting game)?

Sayad

『Inaba Resident』;179197454 said:
I really hope they tell you who is using a wired connection and who is wireless so I can avoid wireless like the plague
That's kinda hard to check for, a wired connection can turn into a wireless at a point where the PS4/Steam can't directly see(using a wired connection between your router and PS4 will show up as wired on your PS4, even if your router connection to your ISP was wireless), best they could do is check for ping and connection stability from previous matches.

Checking for stability is better than checking for wired/wireless anyway, as even a wired connection can be unstable.

I don't understand why you feel that excitement isn't as valid or intense because someone hasn't played the old games significantly (or played them at all). you just always seem to find some odd reason to be dismissive. they could just think the character is cool based on design or personality or fighting style. like, what's the underlying logic? that people who have played the character 'extensively' have a more authentic and more valid 'love' for 'their' character? I don't get it brah.

This is a funny post considering the last time I remarked about Karin before her reveal, it was about how a character like Lili is just popular with people without playing. And people jumped on me for even suggesting that idea, citing their alpha 3 stories. I even clarified that what I said didn't apply to everyone, as some people did in fact play Alpha 3 or Capcom Fighting Evolution but people still got butthurt at the mere idea of someone liking Karin just based on her design. If you want to talk about projection

Why do you or anybody really care why other people like characters? As long as they aren't being assholes to you or others why does it matter?

So you mean casuals (i.e. the majority of people who buy any fighting game)?
I think Zissou just means that it would be great if they stuck around and played the game, too.

Perro

I think Karin was really well done in A3 and didn't need the Birdie/Mika treatment. I wonder if Urien gonna get an overhaul.

Rhapsody

Banned
I think Karin was really well done in A3 and didn't need the Birdie/Mika treatment. I wonder if Urien gonna get an overhaul.

I'm still pretty happy with how Karin turned out though. She had a lot of moves in Alpha, but they basically ended in two rekkas to down+kick ender.
I'd say I would miss her command grab, but that move was annoying to execute for some reason, even if it was just a 360.

It's more annoying that these people all come out of the woodwork and then are never seen again once the game actually comes out. There are people who spend more time on roster speculation/hype than they ever actually do with the game.

Why? Who says they have to enjoy playing the game? There is no reason that they can't like the characters or designs or whatever but want nothing to do with actually playing the game.

Crocodile

1) LMAO
2) Boobs too small and wearing too much clothing! 1/10!
3) LMFAO
4) Why?
5) If I'm being sincere, the design looks cute though you'd think if you were developing a mascot for a fighting game tournament she'd look more like a fighter? Granted, tons of characters in fighting games don't look like "fighters" and I'm not asking for something super safe, generic or grounded to the point of boring but I think that might have been a better direction to take the character? Then again it seems her base was a Last Blade character so there is only so far you can move off from the template I guess.

I swear to God they better not name her "Anna May" or any variation of the sort.

I think Zissou just means that it would be great if they stuck around and played the game, too.

Just because they aren't posting in FGC doesn't mean they aren't playing it or enjoying it in their own way.

Zissou

Why? Who says they have to enjoy playing the game? There is no reason that they can't like the characters or designs or whatever but want nothing to do with actually playing the game.

I guess I care because these people have influence over the game (to some extent). They are voting in character popularity polls, voicing their opinion in visible places (GAF, twitter, whatever), etc.

Just because they aren't posting in FGC doesn't mean they aren't playing it or enjoying it in their own way.

I have a hard time believing there are people who post hundreds of times in the roster discussion thread and then the minute the game comes out, play it constantly without making a peep about it anywhere on GAF.

1) LMAO
2) Boobs too small and wearing too much clothing! 1/10!
3) LMFAO
4) Why?
5) If I'm being sincere, the design looks cute though you'd think if you were developing a mascot for a fighting game tournament she'd look more like a fighter? Granted, tons of characters in fighting games don't look like "fighters" and I'm not asking for something super safe, generic or grounded to the point of boring but I think that might have been a better direction to take the character? Then again it seems her base was a Last Blade character so there is only so far you can move off from the template I guess.

I swear to God they better not name her "Anna May" or any variation of the sort.
Anne Elizabeth Mae

aka

Anne E. Mae

like most 80s anime openings. mobile suit gundam is still the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn27jQAuoWw

But really https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPMRIXteZps

Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Not everything has to be viewed through a lense of tournament attendance. I imagine someone at Capcom realizes this as well since the whole "focus on characters" concept popped up with SFV. People engaging with your intellectual property in any way is a positive thing. Madden isn't a popular because of it's competitive play and Call of Duty doesn't sell millions of copies because of that either. Once you have an invested audience you can monetize them in one way or another.

I guess I care because these people have influence over the game (to some extent). They are voting in character popularity polls, voicing their opinion in visible places (GAF, twitter, whatever), etc.
That's fair, but you can't do anything about that. Capcom or whoever need to make money so that they can keep doing whatever it is they do, how they go about it is their choice. They have the right to try and chase the casual audience as much as they want, or cater to the hardcore. But yeah I guess you can complain, wouldn't be fair otherwise, I complain all the time that these games don't really cater to me.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yams bout to put us next to *****_

why the fuck is my company in delaware

cSyHoGN.gif

I can't wait for the day I finally get into the new Guilty Gear. Fifteen (ish) minutes in +R training mode a day gets a little boring. I'll probably still suck with Baiken, but God help everyone if Anji does come back.

I'll probably still be free to Axl and Chipp

rookiejet

Man, am I red in the face. I got that completely wrong. Clearly, the only real dumbass here is me, lol. I sincerely apologize. And now that I /actually understand/ the conversation, I agree with your sentiment.

I was only kidding btw, and didn't mean to be mean (even though i clearly was). As I said, I like your posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom