• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
somebody in justin's stream mention that he thinks that "japan is going to get bodied in SF5 because its releasing world wide at the same time".

Do you guys think this is true?

I think the biggest factor isn't the release worldwide thing, but SF5 not being in arcades. IMO that will kill a lot of drive of Japanese fighting game players to play SF5. Not the worldwide thing.

I mean Asia in general outside of Japan is dominating in SF4 and most of those don't have thriving arcade scenes at all. (Korea, Singapore, etc)

It'll be like Street Fighter x Tekken

Tripon

I honestly don't remember any of that outside EVO 2v2 which was stupid lol.

All I remember from SFvT competitive history was how stupid good Infiltration was.

Alex Valle current thoughts on SFV.

The 2 main concerns I'm hearing about SFV = clunky / something is missing. What are your thoughts?

The sound/clunky feeling can be fixed. The something missing part, we are too used to FADC/RC's as combo extenders. Many games have it.

I think Capcom is trimming the fat from what is easily exploitable. They may add new v-skills/triggers, critical arts, & new system mechs.

Would be a hot mess to trying to balance 3 v-skills/trigger/critical arts upon release lol. SF4 vanilla to Super wasn't that long of a wait.

Don't really care for extensive combos. I would rather have more neutral options into a 3-5 hit. OG vortex was making you mash on wake up.

SF4 players will not like SFV at first. This is normal. You want something more 'advanced'. These things will take time with a new SF game.

https://twitter.com/AlexValleSF4

2v2 was one of the most interesting things SFxT had going for it.

If the game had been good enough to stick around, the potential for team relationship drama and storylines as the game progressed would have made following that more interesting.

Marz

Fuck arcades. The quicker they die in Japan the better so we get localizations in the US sooner.

Why the fuck are you guys advocating for an arcade release?

Sayad

When everyone was competing for a car, grand finals was Tokido vs Infiltration
Full list:
1. WW|Infiltration (Rolento, Ryu)
2. MCZ|Tokido (Dhalsim, Cody)
3. KS|Sethlolol (Law, Kuma)
4. Yukimura (Ryu, Kazuya)
5. ER|Tatsu (Vega, Xiaoyu)
5. EG|Momochi (Cody, Rufus)
7. AVM|GamerBee (Julia, Jack-X)
7. EG|Ricky Ortiz (Rufus, Chun-Li)

9. Poongko (Ryu, Kazuya)
9. KS|JiBBo (Jin, Sagat)
9. EG|Justin Wong (Rufus, Cody)
9. Combofiend (Julia, Marduk | Others)
13. UYG|NuckleDu (Guile, Zangief)
13. Fuzzy (Cammy, Rolento)
13. Kingstonn (Ryu, Rolento)
13. Alioune (Jack-X, Lili)
Looking at this, top 8 isn't that much different from an SF4 evo top 8. Though SFxT wont be an exact indication, its first EVO being 2vs2 drove a lot of people away, SF25th anniversary probably had NA centric seeding and by EVO 2013 most top players dropped the game.

Full list:
Looking at this, top 8 isn't that much different from an SF4 evo top 8. Though SFxT wont be and exact indication, its first EVO being 2vs2 drove a lot of people away, SF25th anniversary probably had NA centric seeding and by EVO 2013 most top players dropped the game.
Watching Infilitration vs. Tokido. Can't believe how many of these are time outs or almost time outs.

Why does Infiltration almost never punish raw teleport from Sim?

Fuck arcades. The quicker they die in Japan the better so we get localizations in the US sooner.

Why the fuck are you guys advocating for an arcade release?

The more people that can play in a competitive environment, the better. Not every game has to take the Tekken 7 scenic route home.

I wish he had a normal that would cause knockdown and better hitboxes. So awful that things just keep going to neutral after his BnBs lol
Crouching medium kick would be a scary knockdown capable move. It's really good at stuffing air approaches. Besides that it'd be neat if his command grab were faster and he could combo into at least one of his supers.
I looked up the tier list. Anakaris is bottom, and Q-Bee is top. :p

Jedah is mid with Hsien-ko. If SolarPowered can enjoy the game with her, I don't see why I couldn't enjoy Jedah, though.
It's perfectly possible, but it just takes a unique kind of work ethic, I guess. It's like some characters take a particular amount of specialization. His vulnerable hitboxes make it a real chore to get in and the game has pretty good defensive tools that can ruin blockstun tactics and mixups real bad. I can't freaking stand guard cancels being meterless sometimes.
Dude needs to work on his defense though. I don't see him play much but I think he has gotten a bit better lately at not trying to brute force his way out of difficult situations.
That is the kind of guy Dyne is which makes him hard as hell to fight in my case. I thought it wouldn't carry over to Skullgirls, but he plays about the same with Eliza. One set brought on all the stress and salt from years of GGPO VSav. It was pretty amazing.
Holy SHIT...I just spent an hour on Arcana Heart 3 Love Max Scharlachrott trying to beat story mode with Maori. The whole time I could hear Justin Wong yelling "NO YOU LEARN TODAY" as she'd summon this irritating as shit transformer looking wolf to fire a cannon at me. Couldn't block it at all. She would just go ham and do it 3 to 4 times straight and it puts you full screen and combos into itself for big ass damage. Eventually beat her, but fuck was I salty. That felt like a KoF boss syndrome thing for me.

What I learned about Maori:
  • Her mixup game is ridiculous. Like insane. She has normals with B and C that are thrown tops and they can go behind. Forward C and C both have crazy range and can hit more than once allowing for high low mixups and really great combos that OTG forever. You can essentially do a 7 hit plus combo just with C moves off a knockdown.
  • You wanna play Marvel? She's it. She has her whole family as assist characters for specials. She can summon one that is essentially Vajra assist, one that dash forward thunderknuckles folks full screen and another on a paper crane that can appear in front of or behind them and sets up crazy mixups. She had another that dashed in low and fast and one that stood around but I couldn't get em to do much so I'm uncertain how to maximize them.
  • Girl loves meter. She has supers that can only be done during other supers meaning she has 3 bar combos. Otherwise her supers don't do much damage, but they allow for mixups pretty fucking easily because they again are summons and you are free to act during them.
  • Her jumping game is crossup city. She shoots that top and it works like Captain America's shield in that it boomerangs. This is her standing and air normal and she can send it behind you on any jump in and force you to block twice meaning if you do it on a low jump you can generally mash A on landing for a mixup and pressure.
  • Not a lot of dash cancels for combos, but given she has combos of pure heavies with C and tons of ways to stuff you and open you up she doesn't need em.
  • Not a full screen girl. Works great in the air and neutral. Didn't have a lot of clashframes so you had to backdash often. I paired her with EVIL arcana to gain poison effects and teleports to deal with this backdash syndrome she has trying to keep them at neutral so I wouldn't corner myself so frequently.
If anyone here has more experience with Scharlachrot or Maori please chime in on this because I'd love to know more.

Check Maori out. She's fucking cool.

Also the final boss is pretty fucking cool and unique. A giant mech has these 5 stones and is using them to fuel nukes or some shit to fire into Mt Fuji to take out japan. You fight on a stage with platforms vs 2 flying enemies and try to destroy the cores on the mech as they all fire bullets. Once shattered it loses certain attacks. You get one round and if time runs out it fires.

Check the final bosses platforming shmup stage out. Its pretty cool.
Neat write-up

I've only played the game a little, but I've never seen that character do work that way. Captain Commando and Parasoul can eat their hearts out. The grappler player did okay considering all the nonsense Maori can cook up and he even got a perfect in.
It's finally happening. I'm looking forward to putting in a few dollars for several reasons. It'll be nice to play another game that uses the Z engine, Bronies really helped out the SG IGG and TFH just looks fun.

Can't wait

jerry1594

Karst should've watched JMD3. Shimatsuya, an apparently amazing Jedah player was doing serious work. Very technical and careful, spacing and guard cancels were so on point.

Infinite

somebody in justin's stream mention that he thinks that "japan is going to get bodied in SF5 because its releasing world wide at the same time".

Do you guys think this is true?

I think the biggest factor isn't the release worldwide thing, but SF5 not being in arcades. IMO that will kill a lot of drive of Japanese fighting game players to play SF5. Not the worldwide thing.

I mean Asia in general outside of Japan is dominating in SF4 and most of those don't have thriving arcade scenes at all. (Korea, Singapore, etc)
Japanese top players will still be beasts; your Daigos, infiltrations, and Xians aren't going anywhere. However I don't think we'll see as much Aiais, Waos, and Michael Tans but there'll be more Smugs and Sethlololols

Beats

What? How much was the Skullgirls indiegogo campaign initially? These guys already have a working engine that was gifted to them.

150k, but that was just for Squigly character dlc.

Skullgirls' budget was around 1.7 million not counting the Indiegogo stuff.

USD

TOPANGA LEAGUE 5 (B) ROUND 7

MDR (Rufus) vs. Shiro (Abel)
3-2 ○●○●○
aiai (Juri) vs. NINOMAE (Rose)
0-3 ●●●
NISHIKIN (Blanka) vs. Hagejin (Zangief)
0-3 ●●●
Kitasenju DJ (Dee Jay) vs. Misse (Makoto)
3-1 ○○●○
Pugera (Ibuki) vs. Sasaki (Cody)
3-1 ○●○○
Kenzo (Akuma) vs. Matsuri (Chun-Li)
3-2 ○○●●○
NISHKIN (Blanka) vs. Shiro (Abel)
3-2 ●○●○○
aiai (Juri) vs. Kitasenju DJ (Dee Jay)
1-3 ●○●●
Gachikun (Sagat) vs. 6 (Poison)
2-3 ○●●○●
Misse (Makoto) vs. Mago (Yang)
3-0 ○○○

Karst should've watched JMD3. Shimatsuya, an apparently amazing Jedah player was doing serious work. Very technical and careful, spacing and guard cancels were so on point.
I'm guessing there are no YT links? Japan always has their own surprises when it comes to these old games.
Man, I just can't see myself playing a game with animals. Hope it makes it, but I know I'd never touch it.
This is one way to accidentally admit you've never played Okami.

Thanks to her being partially complete.
Yeah but not the actually game itself, right?
The IGG crowdfunding came far after. If L0G could crowdfund 1.7 million dollars for Skullgirls they'd probably stick to that model. No fighting game has yet to pass 829k.

See:

Infinite

I'm guessing there are no YT links? Japan always has their own surprises when it comes to these old games.

This is one way to accidentally admit you've never played Okami.

Thanks to her being partially complete.

See:

Or most games from the 90s that featured anthropomorphic characters.

And thanks. Crazy there's like always varying degrees of backlash for crowdfunding campaigns because people don't understand what goes into game development.

Karin is in breh

mPAwvQa.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom