• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelish

tfw a true low tier character can actually get you to topanga a league
1439075046791.png

based kitasenju

Kumubou

What? How much was the Skullgirls indiegogo campaign initially? These guys already have a working engine that was gifted to them.
And they have no assets to put in the engine. ~500k is seriously lowballing the cost of asset production unless they want the game to launch with 2-4 characters.

They probably figured there's no way they could crownfund the full budget needed (and rightfully so, as even 400k is a huge ask). But then the question is what can they actually deliver on that budget? Do they have additional funding, or do all of their artists live in Eastern Europe or something?

NEO0MJ

There are better words than 'sicken deeply' when people say that they wish hell on other people. :p

111a1a84d394a0be5fe5cdf7a9a2db16.gif

guess I remembered ti a bit wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tfw a true low tier character can actually get you to topanga a league

based kitasenju

Probably because most were unfamiliar with the match-up. He's not playing SF IV the right way.

And they have no assets to put in the engine. ~500k is seriously lowballing the cost of asset production unless they want the game to launch with 2-4 characters.

They probably figured there's no way they could crownfund the full budget needed (and rightfully so, as even 400k is a huge ask). But then the question is what can they actually deliver on that budget? Do they have additional funding, or do all of their artists live in Eastern Europe or something?

The game will probably launch with only 5 fighters, with the sixth as a stretch goal no too far ahead of the main goal. Would explain why they're keeping her a secret for now.

ShinMaruku

So I see we got into community and halved the rate of growth of the threads.

I find it almost apt because it shows that people can be conned by the concept of Fighting Game Community There are communities yes, but it's all fractured and has very little cross over with each other and then you have people who say "eff anime" while screaming "HADOOOUUUKEEEENN" at a major not seeing the irony. :p

Tripon

I didn't realize the scope of the game. Always assumed this was a side passion project for the people working on it. So its a full retail release then?

Or most games from the 90s that featured anthropomorphic characters.

And thanks. Crazy there's like always varying degrees of backlash for crowdfunding campaigns because people don't understand what goes into game development.
Everybody is an expert when it comes to game crowdfunding.

Yeah, I expected a budget of around 1 million for six characters or so. The 400k was a surprise because I honestly consider that a super cheap "ask". They've got their consumer base and the MLP prototype was super popular, so I figure they'll breeze by the base goal.
The game will probably launch with only 5 fighters, with the sixth as a stretch goal no too far ahead of the main goal. Would explain why they're keeping her a secret for now.
I like that they avoided the mess of stretch goal complaining for now. When the time comes I do hope there is a PS4 stretch goal, online lobby stretch goal, PS4-PC crossplay stretch goal and so on.
I've played okami. Gorgeous aesthetic, no challenge. Got bored about a dozen hours in.

I meant in a fighter, though. Should've been more specific. :p
Why?

That art and design take up so much of the pie and programming so little worries me, but I'm hoping that's just cause Z Engine is mature enough that they don't have to tweak it much beyond what they already have.

ShinMaruku

No faith in the market to actually give a fighting game that funding. Also balance can be a big issue with a very limited budget then you add that western devs have often been very bad at fighting games, does not instill me with confidence on that way of funding. This game could be an excepton due to the skullgirls engine doing some work for them but the character assests and moves could be expensive. Only way I can ever see a crowd funding fighting game work is if somehow somebody used it to launder money. :p

Numb

Didn't know that charge kick was so good. Usually did 7+K is it? into the run.
Charge kick seems so much better. You can cancel it into the run after you condition them to think you will use it.

Numb

Yeah playing with friends i realized if i'm not attacking im in trouble. Try to condition myself too into not using the same stuff that gets blocked or holded while im in backturn like her butt attack or crit. The low punch seems like a good choice here as i watch this.
Especially since my defense is nonexistant.

shaowebb

Holy SHIT...I just spent an hour on Arcana Heart 3 Love Max Scharlachrott trying to beat story mode with Maori. The whole time I could hear Justin Wong yelling "NO YOU LEARN TODAY" as she'd summon this irritating as shit transformer looking wolf to fire a cannon at me. Couldn't block it at all. She would just go ham and do it 3 to 4 times straight and it puts you full screen and combos into itself for big ass damage. Eventually beat her, but fuck was I salty. That felt like a KoF boss syndrome thing for me.

A1k7kda.jpg

What I learned about Maori:
  • Her mixup game is ridiculous. Like insane. She has normals with B and C that are thrown tops and they can go behind. Forward C and C both have crazy range and can hit more than once allowing for high low mixups and really great combos that OTG forever. You can essentially do a 7 hit plus combo just with C moves off a knockdown.
  • You wanna play Marvel? She's it. She has her whole family as assist characters for specials. She can summon one that is essentially Vajra assist, one that dash forward thunderknuckles folks full screen and another on a paper crane that can appear in front of or behind them and sets up crazy mixups. She had another that dashed in low and fast and one that stood around but I couldn't get em to do much so I'm uncertain how to maximize them.
  • Girl loves meter. She has supers that can only be done during other supers meaning she has 3 bar combos. Otherwise her supers don't do much damage, but they allow for mixups pretty fucking easily because they again are summons and you are free to act during them.
  • Her jumping game is crossup city. She shoots that top and it works like Captain America's shield in that it boomerangs. This is her standing and air normal and she can send it behind you on any jump in and force you to block twice meaning if you do it on a low jump you can generally mash A on landing for a mixup and pressure.
  • Not a lot of dash cancels for combos, but given she has combos of pure heavies with C and tons of ways to stuff you and open you up she doesn't need em.
  • Not a full screen girl. Works great in the air and neutral. Didn't have a lot of clashframes so you had to backdash often. I paired her with EVIL arcana to gain poison effects and teleports to deal with this backdash syndrome she has trying to keep them at neutral so I wouldn't corner myself so frequently.
If anyone here has more experience with Scharlachrot or Maori please chime in on this because I'd love to know more.

Check Maori out. She's fucking cool.

Also the final boss is pretty fucking cool and unique. A giant mech has these 5 stones and is using them to fuel nukes or some shit to fire into Mt Fuji to take out japan. You fight on a stage with platforms vs 2 flying enemies and try to destroy the cores on the mech as they all fire bullets. Once shattered it loses certain attacks. You get one round and if time runs out it fires.

Check the final bosses platforming shmup stage out. Its pretty cool.
Neat write-up

I've only played the game a little, but I've never seen that character do work that way. Captain Commando and Parasoul can eat their hearts out. The grappler player did okay considering all the nonsense Maori can cook up and he even got a perfect in.

Thanks. I'll keep posting thoughts and impressions on cast as I go through the game as well as thoughts and impressions on Arcana. Its a pretty cool title with a LOT of cool movesets and stuff. Just the homing dash and dash cancels alone turns it into Magneto's family fun adventure of combos. The arcanas essentially being entire movesets you can equip onto other movesets though...yeah worth digging and posting about here. Folks should really give it a go on Steam. You'll have a ton of fun.

Man that Maori Vajra thing though when she summons that sister from above. Its super fast and dirty and you can use it to extend combos since her standing C or FWD+C tend to bop folks back up off the ground in combos. One knockdown and prepare to lose some life man. Really wanting to try her out with the arcana that grants hyper armor given her mixup game :D

I'll probably go back in on that girl that has the Hurricane Polimar cancels soon.Her name isAkane and she looked pretty safe in the neutral and combo heavy.That or the succubus roller girl Lilica...she felt like Kim Kap Hwan in a way for me. Gonna have to play her and see if I was right or not.

WarRock

where's your avatar from?
What irfanaator said =)

Love this artwork, guess I'll be playing some Project Justice later thanks to it.

shaowebb

Why are you quoting yourself?

Context. The write up itself was referenced in his post and I figured I may as well include it since it was 2 pages back. Besides, content is content. Might as well quote it since I posted it during a tourney and the thread moved while folks were busy in the other thread.

jerry1594

I'm guessing there are no YT links? Japan always has their own surprises when it comes to these old games.
There are. Game Newton has a link to their YouTube channel on their twitch page where they upload past broadcasts.
Here is the channel. Though the vod is still up.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIq8ow2OP3mRqWDVm7aRXCA

King of Wolves 3s/02UM is in about 4 hours also on Game Newton's channel. Esports square is awesome.

Marz

I didn't know you guys were still making a weekly FGC tournament thread. Of course the thread is going to get significantly less activity if you're still making a stealth FGW thread anyways.

shaowebb

So desperate for posts we quoting ourselves now.

So desperate for content I'm quoting it ;P

I miss how we used to talk character strategy and tech, and options based on characters. Now we just sorta post reactions to streams and trailers. Someone here has to be playing something. We used to post soooo much content and now its more us posting reactions.

Why not actively share some thoughts on a character in a game your playing or love to revisit? It'd be nice to get the ball rolling here on something deeper than "oh hey this player did this".I posted some Arcana Heart so its not like you gotta go with something current or even popular. Just post something that you found interesting about a character in any fighting game and explain it.

Wild Card

Hey guys a question for someone who just started using twitch. Was watching the TGS tournament live stream and didn't have time to finish it. Going back to the Capcom Fighters channel I've tried to load the videos up but I just get a bunch of different video links to other matches and I can't play anything.

Is this something where I would need to be a subscriber to get any of there videos that aren't live streamed.

P.S. I know they have a youtube channel, asking so I know how to deal with twitch in the future.

Hey guys a question for someone who just started using twitch. Was watching the TGS tournament live stream and didn't have time to finish it. Going back to the Capcom Fighters channel I've tried to load the videos up but I just get a bunch of different video links to other matches and I can't play anything.

Is this something where I would need to be a subscriber to get any of there videos that aren't live streamed.

P.S. I know they have a youtube channel, asking so I know how to deal with twitch in the future.

Yeah, you hit the paywall. But supposedly the off stream matches will be put on youtube eventually.

Go to madcatzjp twitch for tgs, but with japanese commentary.

Tripon

I didn't know you guys were still making a weekly FGC tournament thread. Of course the thread is going to get significantly less activity if you're still making a stealth FGW thread anyways.
Technically, that thread is for the weekend tournaments. And I don't think it's a replacement for FGW simply because people don't use the threads for what FGW used to be.

I only make the threads so people can see the stream info and have a place to talk. If people rather I post that info in this thread instead of making a new gaming thread each week, I can do that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom