• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

I'm gonna support "Them's Fighting Herds" . They've put in a lot of work on the Z engine and from what I recall they made their own hitbox editor and developed their own line technique. Lots of effort here and the combos and characterization looks great. Definitely feel like I should be supporting this kind of effort from our indie scene to encourage more people to become a part of it. Also to try and drum up potential demand for the Z engine to be worked on more so it may one day make it into the hands of more folks willing to go the route of hand drawn.

Anyone else here feel like supporting their effort? It' might help to show some demand exists for more hand animated efforts in fighting games.

I'm gonna support "Them's Fighting Herds" . They've put in a lot of work on the Z engine and from what I recall they made their own hitbox editor and developed their own line technique. Lots of effort here and the combos and characterization looks great. Definitely feel like I should be supporting this kind of effort from our indie scene to encourage more people to become a part of it. Also to try and drum up potential demand for the Z engine to be worked on more so it may one day make it into the hands of more folks willing to go the route of hand drawn.

Anyone else here feel like supporting their effort? It' might help to show some demand exists for more hand animated efforts in fighting games.
All of this.

Fighting Games really need a massive boost on kickstarter. This genre is just niche as hell in some ways when compared to other genres. We also definitely need more high quality 2D fighters that don't use 3D models. The bonus of a much lower hardware barrier is just too good to ignore. Unfortunately a lot of 2D fighters completely miss PC as a platform.

It might help to show some demand exists for more hand animated efforts in fighting games.

Quantify "some".

The thing I don't like about a lot of indie games these days is that a lot of them straight up wouldn't be possible without large, up-front investments from customers who have literally bought into the idea. Granted, I'm glad Yatagarasu:AoC exists, I'm glad Skullgirls exists, etc., but it seems like indie games will never grow this way.

"There is 'some' demand for this idea", in my opinion, translates to:

"We think there might be around 50,000 to 100,000 people willing to put up a $10 donation so we can make this game, should we try it and see if we can make any money?"

Beckx

The thing I don't like about a lot of indie games these days is that a lot of them straight up wouldn't be possible without large, up-front investments from customers who have literally bought into the idea. Granted, I'm glad Yatagarasu:AoC exists, I'm glad Skullgirls exists, etc., but it seems like indie games will never grow this way.

Skullgirls had a privately funded full game release, no crowdfunding. The crowdfunding came later for additional content.

I mean, that seems like an example of how indie games *did* grow (not "could"). They built it, and after they built it, people were willing to pay to have them build more stuff.

Beats

I put in a few dollars. I dunno if it would really do anything for the demand of hand drawn work in fighting games though. 2d animation in general is basically close to the edge of a cliff. Only thing keeping it from jumping to its death are animation fans/otakus with lots of disposable income, government funding and crowdfunding.

Maybe if all these 2d works (not just fighting games or even video games) started selling loads of copies or generating lots of cash then that'd be showing something.

NEO0MJ

Join little one and I will have you under my wings.

Give me time, I' still a level 7 Titan. Plus, I need to get PS+.

Quantify "some".

"There is 'some' demand for this idea", in my opinion, translates to:

"We think there might be around 50,000 to 100,000 people willing to put up a $10 donation so we can make this game, should we try it and see if we can make any money?"

I don't think that any publisher will be willing to fund an indie fighter, though. Or at least, not a traditional one.

NEO0MJ

Did you get the spark of light for owning Taken King? Cruise right to 25.

Nightstalker Hunter is where it's at though.

Saving it for my second character (probably a Warlock). Considering I just started the game it made more sense for me to save it until I get a good grasp of the game so when I want to switch classes I can immediately explore all its options instead of having to grind.

Beckx

Saving it for my second character (probably a Warlock). Considering I just started the game it made more sense for me to save it until I get a good grasp of the game so when I want to switch classes I can immediately explore all its options instead of having to grind.

Yeah, I hear you. Having experienced how good the TTK missions are though, it's hard not to encourage you to get to the good stuff. I mean it's night and day, classic Bungie mission design and narrative is finally back.

Once I finally start working in a couple weeks, I'll toss them some money. Still can't believe the project is ongoing after that C&D from Hasbro.

kirblar

Level Up revealed the location for WNF (10/21-12/16)

I have no clue but I think it involves character tips.
Oh holy shit, he's actually opening a LAN cafe.

edit: Is he partnered in this or being loaned the space?

edit2: Loaned out. This looks great.

Kumubou

Fighting Games really need a massive boost on kickstarter. This genre is just niche as hell in some ways when compared to other genres. We also definitely need more high quality 2D fighters that don't use 3D models. The bonus of a much lower hardware barrier is just too good to ignore. Unfortunately a lot of 2D fighters completely miss PC as a platform.
I think the issue is with fighting games have a fairly high asset floor to make a game of, to the point where the budget required would far surpass what Kickstarter could return outside of the biggest campaigns. You need a fair amount of animation done (2D or 3D) and there's no good way to shortcut around that without making the game feel incredibly jank, and given how tactile fighting games are in general it's a worse problem to have than in most genres.

shaowebb

I don't wanna play as a horse though.

If its fun I'll play anything. I'm a fan of the genre more than anything. Heck I play Arcana Heart now because of all the crazy mechanics and tools so yeah if its fun I'm there lol. That deer with the Ice has a Glacius sort of thing happening and I really digged the combos on Arizona the cow. Can't wait to see how the rest handle. I'm also eager to play with the combo system in how you have a scaling meter...very KI in that regard since you can see when your combo is about to scale dump someone out of it. Instead of a hard limit this is interesting to see happening more and more out there. I kinda dig having a visual meter that shows folks the scaling on combos as they happen. makes folks go for resets and clever shit more.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Give me time, I' still a level 7 Titan. Plus, I need to get PS+.

Just killed raid boss in first try. My team is too OP.

Don't be afraid to ask me anything. You can level pretty quickly doing story missions but the real fun comes once you enter the raids and such.

Tripon

KO Fighting, the CPT Premier event starts on Thursday morning for America. I'll be making a thread on Wed. night.

8rSokCZ.png

Numb

Should I get Yatagarasu or a KoF game on steam? Don't have any experience with any other than seeing some streams.

Both good choices. Been a minute since touching Yata so not sure how the online is. Game is really fun and easy to learn.
KOF has more characters,look sweet and there might be more people interested in lately cos of the dissapointment that was the new one. It is basically a fav child now.

WarRock

The Steam version of #R has netplay at all or it relies on the old fan patch? And if it does, is it any good?

Me and a friend from another state are thirsting for some GG.

notworksafe

i don't support waifu games and i don't support furry waifu games. put money into this and next thing you know there's gonna be a "1000 year old demon with the body of a 10 year old dragon/wolf hybrid" fighter being kickstarted for the vita.

no thank you.

i don't support waifu games and i don't support furry waifu games. put money into this and next thing you know there's gonna be a "1000 year old demon with the body of a 10 year old dragon/wolf hybrid" fighter being kickstarted for the vita.

no thank you.

who says there isn't one in development already

Tizoc

no thank you.

Support fighting games, not what the fighting games contain.
And leave my swag OLED out of this.

notworksafe

that's a dumb statement. if i've got no interest in the content, i've got no interest in supporting it. plenty of fighting games that aren't weird horse nonsense out there.

Tizoc

that's a dumb statement. if i've got no interest in the content, i've got no interest in supporting it. plenty of fighting games that aren't weird horse nonsense out there.

I don't see any weird horse nonsense, they're just cartoony animals.
If there's any wacko shit about them it's all in your head.

Zissou

It's worth it. Not even close to as dumb as Marvel and you actually have a few defensive options.

Yea Melee has really good nuetral.

You really think there are more defensive options in guilty gear? They feel kind of similar overall to me (when it comes to defending in the neutral game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom