• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dlent

Arcana Heart on Steam is $30...I guess they figured they had to overprice it so everyone who buys it on sale for $15 dollars will feel like they got a deal. Even Gamestop has the game for $20 dollars new, come on Examu.

Shackzam

old-man-yells-at-cloud.jpg

I am a dummyhead who has no sense of the value of a dollar (let alone what "anime" even refers to in the FGC nowadays) and have purchased Arcana Heart 3 on Steam.

Let's see how barebones of a port this turns out to be.

try to play fundamentals against elphet brehs

bring a knife to a nuclear war brehs

put this game onto a pedestal when its just pure fuckery brehs

CurlyW

No top players back out of a tournament last minute and fuck up weeks of careful seeding and scheduling more than Smash top players.

Numb

try to play fundamentals against elphet brehs

bring a knife to a nuclear war brehs

put this game onto a pedestal when its just pure fuckery brehs

You'll understand how to fight that waifu one day

------

Been awesome not having to re-sub again and again each week to the new FGW thread like before
kappa

Tripon

No top players back out of a tournament last minute and fuck up weeks of careful seeding and scheduling more than Smash top players.

Multiple smash players even.

Big House 5 been taking hit after hit the last couple of weeks.

Edit: No Capcom Pro Talk for the 3rd week in a row. This is an outrage....

DunpealD

Unfortunately I feel that there isn't really a strong enough market for 3v3 fighters especially with complex team interactions (both good and bad forms of complexity) on top of having a drafting system which I can tell you right now... many people in MOBAs don't even know how to draft properly (which is why pubs are played with All picks). People struggle to play one character in a fighter well with limited air options and less disparity of toolset... it would be even more challenging for someone completely new to put out a team based fighter.

Only team based fighter that has any amount of relative "success" is the MVC series because of the all the big name characters attached to the series. That and KOFXIII I guess but that's a bit of a different beast right there.

Maybe if someone like S-Kill makes a PC F2P team based fighter like Rising Thunder with everything being easy in terms of inputs and combos.

The question is also what kind of 3v3( or other amount of players) would be feasible that includes drafting? Tag like SFxT? SBO 3v3? Marvel single player 3v3 with calling assists? KoF? A mixture?

In terms of simple and gameplay, KoF seems to be a working example of using multiple characters. There is also already a successful 2v2 fighting game with the Gundam EXVS series, at least in Japan. Though it does not have a drafting system and is different from the classic formula. Iirc there is also Gunslinger Stratos, but my knowledge is lacking on that game though.
BN at least tried with RoI to bring the EXVS gameplay to the west as an F2P game. But in the end... what is RoI? A miserable pile of bad decisions. Which needs a miracle to salvage it.

Yep.
You atleast held your own against that other Ky and even improved mid match. Now if only you got mirror matches of your own character that you know more.

Yea I do very bad against Ky. Always fall for the frame trap/counter hit setups.

Also, I really gotta start FD'ing my dashes.

Arcana Heart on Steam is $30...I guess they figured they had to overprice it so everyone who buys it on sale for $15 dollars will feel like they got a deal. Even Gamestop has the game for $20 dollars new, come on Examu.
I didn't know the game was even coming out on Steam until a week ago or so and now this. Anime and bad decisions go hand in hand. I was expecting something like $20, but this is a bit much, so I'll hold off until we get some impressions.

I wish them luck in convincing anyone not drenched in animay already.

Count Keiko is streaming XRD

gonna try online again, I really don't feel this shit is approachable at my level tho. Anyone still playing this game at this point are usually pretty good tbh

Don't you try to do me like Jazzism did!

Edit: I dunno all of this still just sounds like experience/practice. Where you just don't have a set of canned responses against the options in this game so you just lose out not even in scramble situations but "neutral" or more common situations because fighting games are like that.

You can always play Persona I guess.

BN at least tried with RoI to bring the EXVS gameplay to the west as an F2P game. But in the end... what is RoI? A miserable pile of bad decisions. Which needs a miracle to salvage it.
I am questioning their treatment of EXVS outside or arcades now too.

Dahbomb

The question is also what kind of 3v3( or other amount of players) would be feasible that includes drafting? Tag like SFxT? SBO 3v3? Marvel single player 3v3 with calling assists? KoF? A mixture?

In terms of simple and gameplay, KoF seems to be a working example of using multiple characters. There is also already a successful 2v2 fighting game with the Gundam EXVS series, at least in Japan. Though it does not have a drafting system and is different from the classic formula. Iirc there is also Gunslinger Stratos, but my knowledge is lacking on that game though.
3v3 with assists (or support characters). Basically a fighter in which there are more specialized roles on a team. That's because otherwise banning would essentially be "I am going to ban his 3 best characters". Banning assist characters would be a huge deal because they are the glue that hold a team together. Someone can draft like Zero/Magneto but if all the relevant assists are banned then the team wouldn't be that strong.

I know KoF has considerations for battery/anchor when it comes to resource management but the point of the draft system is so that players can't easily make ready made teams of 3 good characters. Synergy has to be taken into account and breaking synergy then reinventing synergy is the point of the drafting system.

shaowebb

I'll be posting impressions tomorrow of the steam version. Its installing now, but I gotta crash. Got work soon.
I finished making all the breakdowns of Arcanas though!

Tomorrow I have a helluva OT to post. Theres a lot to cover, some stuff to link to, and just a lot of graphics in general. I'll likely add more to the OT in terms of character breakdowns as it goes. In any case, we are gonna have a good quick reference on this title now to get folks able to jump in. So much needs said and a cursory impression of this title would just overwhelm folks without a point of reference.

Can't wait till tomorrow.

Skilletor

Lol, is that what that guy has been up to? How is it that these weirdos get any trust or faith? I guess the deeper question is how are people so gullible? Or maybe the more fundamental question is what's keeping decent people from stepping up and filling in the gaps, before some scumbag does?

And now I turn the question on my self, and I can find the answers in my own experiences. Hmmm..

Missed this post.

CO has, and always has, had other people throwing tourneys. We just don't have people that lie to sponsors and rip people off, so we have less visibility. DFG and NYVGA (For CO, at least) had tons of events at places that casuals would go to and get them signing up. He would advertise pot bonuses and get hardcore FGC people to show up, and then not pay. Then you had people defending him because of the effort (which even I admit would have been tons of work) to get the venues and events he did. You had people that attended his tourneys just because they wanted to play games. There's an old thread on our, now dead, CO forums about just this.

So, people didn't just let it happen. It's just that he had enough casuals showing up that the FGC didn't really matter.

Sorry for the days old response. I hate what DFG did to the scene here and have been outspoken against him for years. Here's a few pics of my almost finished cab. Wired up for PS3/PS4/PC. :)

Dahbomb

I'll be posting impressions tomorrow of the steam version. Its installing now, but I gotta crash. Got work soon.
I finished making all the breakdowns of Arcanas though!

Tomorrow I have a helluva OT to post. Theres a lot to cover, some stuff to link to, and just a lot of graphics in general. I'll likely add more to the OT in terms of character breakdowns as it goes. In any case, we are gonna have a good quick reference on this title now to get folks able to jump in. So much needs said and a cursory impression of this title would just overwhelm folks without a point of reference.

Can't wait till tomorrow.
But did you reserve the OT though....?

Zissou

3v3 with assists (or support characters). Basically a fighter in which there are more specialized roles on a team. That's because otherwise banning would essentially be "I am going to ban his 3 best characters". Banning assist characters would be a huge deal because they are the glue that hold a team together. Someone can draft like Zero/Magneto but if all the relevant assists are banned then the team wouldn't be that strong.

I know KoF has considerations for battery/anchor when it comes to resource management but the point of the draft system is so that players can't easily make ready made teams of 3 good characters. Synergy has to be taken into account and breaking synergy then reinventing synergy is the point of the drafting system.

Yeah- meaningful team synnergy would be necessary for a drafting system to be interesting.

@shaowebb- do you actually play arcana heart against humans? or is you liking the game theory-mode stuff?

kirblar

You know, I wonder if the SFV builds at shows have lower damage/stun right now just to let people play longer at the booth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom