• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

I've had Mortal Kombat X running at a locked 50 fps for months until the benchmarks that came out yesterday enlightened me. I don't even know how to explain myself or how I didn't notice the transition between playing on my PC and other people's consoles.

Picking up that gooteck's e-book on learning street fighter because by god do I need all the help I can get to not suck at fighting games.

Prolly want to get Patrick Miller's free book.

Horseress

yoo twitch with the html5 player

about fucking time

So in in short the real statement is that North America will continue to be mediocre at fighting games as long as this statement remains true "hey, fighting games are "supposed" to be played offline".

Well that or gets good internet infrastructure, but this is far less likely to happen.

K.Sabot

I think 3 things would need to happen to have netplay start to become a relevant factor in getting good at fighting games.

1. The US needs better internet in general, and wireless players need to be permanently banned from fighting games / thrown into the ocean.

2. Fighting games need better regional matchmaking parameters. (USEast, USWest, USCentral servers, can be more specific etc)

3. Fighting games need more players to fill those sub-regions or else everyone stacks into the same region and gets complacent with bad connections (GGXRD).

The 3rd is crucial for the 2nd to happen, the 2nd mitigates the distance / ping issue that america has as much as possible, and the 1st benefits everyone overall.

peter0611

Leffen is unable to attend BH5 this weekend. :-(
It's like a big major for UMVC3 missing Filipinochamp: having a super-talented player with the "villain" persona gets people way more invested in the matches.

Rhapsody

Banned
Netplay is such a weird beast. There's some stuff that obviously works better online, so it's always important to keep in mind and ask yourself is this still a wise option offline. Of course you can't limit yourself entirely because even offline, you need to know when you're able to mix things up. Then you have to deal with what your opponent is thinking and see if he's the kind of guy that is thinking along the same lines as well. Maybe he's the kind of guy that knows he'll get punished 4/5 times on an air dash or jump in, but that one time gets him this super good combo into a good mixup.

Playing people in ASW games, I see a lot of players make decisions through coin flips to avoid situations. Wakeup DP/roll/super/up-back instead of blocking then thinking of a way out. On the offense side, I see a lot of these kind of players focus more on combos rather than the neutral and defense side of things. Against these players, I feel like I get no adaptation from them and it's the same thing after 20 matches.

A lot of decisions just get watered down that you can't just rely on netplay practice compensating entirely for offline practice. I feel like I'm pretty good on being able to get what I can out of good connections, but a good deal of that relies on my opponent as well. Fortunately offline practice with friends isn't hard for me at all, but it's frustrating to help my online-only friends that don't quite understand why some of their gameplay decisions can be really bad.

Edit: Not that I'm top level player status or anything, but I'm still competent. Due to college, I grind a lot less in fighters, but I'm glad the above isn't what's holding me back.

Leffen is unable to attend BH5 this weekend. :-(
It's like a big major for UMVC3 missing Filipinochamp: having a super-talented player with the "villain" persona gets people way more invested in the matches.

I heard about this. Really sucks :/

DunpealD

I think 3 things would need to happen to have netplay start to become a relevant factor in getting good at fighting games.

1. The US needs better internet in general, and wireless players need to be permanently banned from fighting games / thrown into the ocean.

2. Fighting games need better regional matchmaking parameters. (USEast, USWest, USCentral servers, can be more specific etc)

3. Fighting games need more players to fill those sub-regions or else everyone stacks into the same region and gets complacent with bad connections (GGXRD).

The 3rd is crucial for the 2nd to happen, the 2nd mitigates the distance / ping issue that america has as much as possible, and the 1st benefits everyone overall.

In short, netplay needs a good ping filter.

Tripon

After seeing ZeRo's twitter about blowing people up that if you don't win a tourney, you have no opinion on the game and now this, this must be blowup Wednesdays or something.

If ZeRo was in charge of balancing Smash, I'd honestly wouldn't play the game anymore. That guy has no idea how hard it is to make sure the game is balanced for both casual play and competitive play.

Horseress

If ZeRo was in charge of balancing Smash, I'd honestly wouldn't play the game anymore. That guy has no idea how hard it is to make sure the game is balanced for both casual play and competitive play.

Zero has won more tournaments than Sakurai tho

Basically. And it gets frustrating quickly when you don't feel as though your opponents are putting in the effort you are. If you don't have a consistent list of easily available, similarly minded players, online play melts into monotony and skill atrophy.

Yeah, you're only as good as the best person you can beat. If there aren't any learned players to test your mettle against you essentially can't improve beyond a certain point, and that's though in an online environment where tons of people are just playing casually, which can happen locally, but the shared learning component is completely absent since there's a distance and communication barrier that isn't there with offline play. Even among FGCGAF you can find people to play against but I would say most are not in the habit of playing to improve to a high level (I am essentially a casual player since I complain and despair at my mistakes instead of fixing them).

Since online is so chaotic you are more likely going to run into situations where matches are going to go 20-0, 10-2 and in those situations you can't really learn much if the person you are wooping is losing to the same thing over and over again, which like you said leads to monotony and skill atrophy.

So in in short the real statement is that North America will continue to be mediocre at fighting games as long as this statement remains true "hey, fighting games are "supposed" to be played offline".

Well that or gets good internet infrastructure, but this is far less likely to happen.

Yeah, it seems like Japan is in a much better position environmentally and geographically speaking to closing the skill gap between middle and high level players.

Tripon

Welp. The Cheng Du CPT ranking event has no live twitch stream. Might be on Douyu, but that experience was terrible for me when I tried it for the Shanghai CPT ranking event. Think I'm going to skip out on this one.

Zissou

I played Iron Fist sure, but I left Marvel for a lot of reasons. School was starting to pick up some at the time but mainly I saw Doom, and Vergil getting out of hand at the time and left right around when I saw Morridoom debut. I enjoyed neutral stuff and after maining Ryu and Ironfist I realized that I wasn't gonna get a hella neutral style game from Marvel. Left for KoF 13 at first but didn't have the execution or time with college. Heard about Injustice and went in hard to the TYM community because I heard NRS listened to them and they wanted fan feedback as they developed. Made videos and had a lot of discussions over there. They did listen to a lot of what folks said and such and I had a lot of fun and learned NRS stuff for a few years. Got involved in the site as a mod and loved it there. I left recently though because I'd quit MKX.

I missed tag fighters and non string fighters though. Tried to find a game to come back too and since I'd first started watching streams with TVC and Marn (back before he used Alex and used Blade with Zero) I thought I'd go back in. Loved it and I've been trying to find a way to play folks at it to see what I missed. It didn't have the guide like MVC3 and its in game and booklet breakdowns were very gapped in info. Dug deep, couldn't believed what I'd overlooked and kept playing. Glad to find the occassional anything related to this. Not to say its without problems, but I enjoyed its footsies and playstyle more than Marvel so its closer to what suits me.

Watched EVO and saw Dorothy...didn't understand what her cards did or what they meant by "she's got them out" so I picked it up that weekend for the sale on PSN. Found it also had a thin in game description on how things worked so I looked stuff up online...same thing happened to it as TVC. Found it to be way deeper than I thought and stayed in. Currently I'm still diggin and the well is deep so I'd really like to share all this stuff thats in it with folks because its just that hard to tell whats in that game otherwise.

Thats basically been me since about...I dunno, whenever Morridoom debuted. I've bounced around with BB several times too alongside of SFxTekken. Liked aspects of each honestly though it took SFxTekken awhile to turn out well. That's why I play what I play. Marvel never left, I never took to SFIV, Injustice died out and MKX is something I only got on PC and that version burned me hard and is pretty dead online too. Don't own GGXrd or the latest BB so I'm behind the curve on them too. Didn't get Xrd because I played Testament, Bridget and Faust a lot...the roster is just sorta full of holes for what I came to the show for. Plus that was from way back in my casual days with XX reload too so I was never vested on the title. Basically I'm a fan of the genre and like to see whats in it. I'll buy up GG with the new edition. BB is likely my Birthday gift in Dec so I'm trying not to buy myself everything on my list.

Marvel still has ‘neutral stuff’ now (though no sane person would deny there are times the game devolves into 1 player game bullshit) A handful of characters can’t cut it at a high level, who unfortunately are the characters you like. I made my original comment because it seemed strange to me that you’d periodically post stuff about how much you liked TvC which is ostensibly more busted than marvel. I thought ‘Ahh, maybe the busted-ness of marvel is hard to ignore because you see it all the time, but it’s easy to ignore the busted-ness of a game nobody plays. Is is that TvC's playstyle suits you more, or is it that no one plays the game so no one can demonstrate your idea of how the game is played is (perhaps) inaccurate? Now you talk about AH3 a lot, and I wonder too whether this is based on the theoretical ways its mechanics play out amongst competitive players or if it's mostly speculative (you just enjoy theorizing about mechanics, which is fine).

Considering he's been posting a alot of stuff I'm looking forward to your breakdown on why his ideas and views are not correct. I trust this would not be said without some kind of basis to back it up?

Never said he was incorrect. Was just asking whether his stuff stemmed from theory or practice.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think that's particularly relevant to the process of finding cool things and stuff that the game could potentially let you do with its mechanics and options.

Think of it like desk's combo videos. How many of those combos for the various games that he/she has videos of are used in high level play for their respective games? My guess is that he/she does it for the fun and challenge of it, and not necessarily for the purpose that it be used by high level players in tournament play.

Unless he's making statements like "all of this stuff is used in tournament play" when it can be shown to be contrary then I don't think anyone can dog him for what he's doing. As far as I can see he is just expressing interest and sharing his findings of a game that not many people here play and explaining why he think it's unique options are interesting.

I bring it up because he's coming from a position of advocacy- he's trying to convince people to buy and play the game. No one is using Desk combo vids to convince people to play SFIV.

gutabo

*GAF FGC HELP AGAIN PLS*

So after I posted my last post regarding our issues here, I've had lots of help. Mike Ross( <3 ) came to the rescue(as suggested by one of you guys), the post had a thread on reddit, Justin and Sp00ky retweeted my post and many, many other things happened. Since then we finally narrowed it down to NGL Brentt(has the time, has a passport ready, seems like a very cool guy, went undefeated at his last visit to Mexico) and now we're trying to get him down here. Now our problem is, we've been trolled by jetblue. A week ago, you could choose a rountrip LAX - Lima - LAX flight from their website for $720. Now, as we prepared to buy Brentt's ticket(using our jetBlue credit), the Lima option is no longer available for that roundtrip, or from any city in the west coast(yeah, WTF). After a long call with them seems like you can still buy that same ticket we were targeting but for a more expensive price - almost a thousand dollars. A friend that works at a travel agency has just reserved some tickets for our friend in Avianca at little more than $600 but we don't have the cash, we only have the jetBlue credit.

So my question is, do you know anyone that might be interested in buying about $600 of jetblue credit(valid for 11 more months) so we can buy the Avianca ticket as soon as posible? Thanks in advance! :'(

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Hope everything works out for you Gutabo... If I had the money I would definitely buy it off of you so you could breathe in for once.

gutabo

Hope everything works out for you Gutabo... If I had the money I would definitely buy it off of you so you could breathe in for once.
Thank you so much Yams. Heck, if I had the money I would buy that credit and use it to go to EVO next year!

Now that is an understatement. Isn't Gutabo legally dead or something?
That's true and that's about to change in a couple months ;)

Kysuke

Maybe make one and post it here! Someone will add it to the OP. Not sure how PSN communities works though.

Hey I got about 100 members already, not sure it would be a GAF only thing anymore but should we just use that or should I make another one for GAF only? I met a lot of awesome people already, I'm loving this community feature.

Hey I got about 100 members already, not sure it would be a GAF only thing anymore but should we just use that or should I make another one for GAF only? I met a lot of awesome people already, I'm loving this community feature.

Make one just for GAF. And one for just people with GAF Gold as well.

Bakoery

What about connections with Europe, Asia etc. You're just talking about the US

On to your first point: You can't just ban people online for not having a wired connection. What's the worth in buying a game like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom