• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Is CEO even relevant for Smash, though? If I remember correctly least year the turnout for SSB4 was decent but it was tepid for Melee. This seemed to be a pattern for a lot of FGC events that didn't run Smash previously -- Melee players had no history with them and didn't really bother, but SSB4 players didn't have any history at all and were more likely to buy in. I'm not really sure how well that holds up though -- although I guess as long as the TOs are supporting their local communities, it should not be too bad.

Over 500 for Smash Wii U, and over 300 for Melee. And a ton of complaints to boot. Smash community is weird, man.

Why can't we get this.

CZmYzXuUYAANIBZ.jpg

https://twitter.com/ShaneWatch/status/691752026561232897

I want that middle game more than SF5

Kumubou

Give me a R Mika Wrestling management game.
I didn't even know I wanted this until you mentioned it... and now I want it. :(

They would need to design a ton of characters for it though, unless they made it more like Im@s where you only had to focus on one character at a time.

Over 500 for Smash Wii U, and over 300 for Melee. And a ton of complaints to boot. Smash community is weird, man.
That's more than I thought for Melee -- so the playerbase getting as tight as they did makes more sense. (That and I would never trust Alex Strife with much of anything at this point, but that's a whole another matter entirely.)

Give me a R Mika Wrestling management game.

Looking at tournament footage of Karin in SFV, she's just fucking Julia from SFxT.

She will now be my main until Ibuki comes out.

forget the management, just give me a game featuring all those ladies period.

in particular the big girls with the Heart shaped ponytail on top just for her hair alone!

Rhapsody

Banned
Is CEO even relevant for Smash, though? If I remember correctly least year the turnout for SSB4 was decent but it was tepid for Melee. This seemed to be a pattern for a lot of FGC events that didn't run Smash previously -- Melee players had no history with them and didn't really bother, but SSB4 players didn't have any history at all and were more likely to buy in. I'm not really sure how well that holds up though -- although I guess as long as the TOs are supporting their local communities, it should not be too bad.

A lot of smashers are considering just ignoring Apex and going to CEO instead this year. Apex may seem big to a lot of outsiders, but the smash community is actually willing to move on from it.

Tripon

I didn't even know I wanted this until you mentioned it... and now I want it. :(

They would need to design a ton of characters for it though, unless they made it more like Im@s where you only had to focus on one character at a time.

That's more than I thought for Melee -- so the playerbase getting as tight as they did makes more sense. (That and I would never trust Alex Strife with much of anything at this point, but that's a whole another matter entirely.)
Don't worry, Bifuteki is running Apex now. Hahahahhahahahahah.

CurlyW

Melee had 466 pre-registered at CEO, it was the second-largest game. Wii U hit the cap of 512, and we couldn't add any more entrants. CEO is extremely popular in the Smash community for not being a traditional Smash Bros. community tournament. Jebailey's not worried.

mbpm1

Floe is fighting in an early access 3D Indie fighting game and getting matches left and right and winning for free
bc nobody is online and he's just getting matched against empty rooms

Midscreen fish bubbles are not allowed. It's a waste of meter and this ain't SpongeBob Squarepants. Other than that you made good use of his anti airs. Obviously more work on his bubble corner unblockables is needed. Your Q.Bee is fine. Notice how I barely Tenrai-Ha'd against her? Characters with super low crouching hitboxes are a pain in the ass for Lei Lei since she needs to change her standard Tenra-Ha input to cr.lk+st.hk, cr.mp, u.mp. It's a pain in the ass and I couldn't deal with my current sleepiness. Crouching blocking with her may as well be blocking with magical SFxT defense gems to me. Her bubbles are also much better midscreen than Fish's, so that is a fine call. Work on the tech hits, GCs and grab resets and you'll do great.

petghost

Banned
Midscreen fish bubbles are not allowed. It's a waste of meter and this ain't SpongeBob Squarepants. Other than that you made good use of his anti airs. Obviously more work on his bubble corner unblockables is needed. Your Q.Bee is fine. Notice how I barely Tenrai-Ha'd against her? Characters with super low crouching hitboxes are a pain in the ass for Lei Lei since she needs to change her standard Tenra-Ha input to cr.lk+st.hk, cr.mp, u.mp. It's a pain in the ass and I couldn't deal with my current sleepiness. Crouching blocking with her may as well be blocking with magical SFxT defense gems to me. Her bubbles are also much better midscreen than Fish's, so that is a fine call. Work on the tech hits, GCs and grab resets and you'll do great.

Thanks man that's the exact kinda stuff I wanna hear. Gonna work hard on tech hitting and gc'ing.

Tripon

Idol thoughts. Bandai-Namco has two fighters on the Wii U (Smash 4, Pokken) and none on the XB1 and PS4 has Gundam: Battle Operation Next.

What a weird time for Bandai-Namco.

Zissou

Did people already post their pedictions for the Evo line-up? Tekken 7 being out in time is probably the biggest unknown at this point, no?

I missed this last week, but Bonnie Gordon, Rainbow Mika's English-language voice actress appeared on the Isometric podcast. She seems really cool; into tabletop gaming and favorite VG is Gitaroo Man, lol. She discusses her feelings about the SF5 ass slap controversy as well (sorry I don't have the timestamps).
Link here: https://www.relay.fm/isometric/89

Baleoce

So what are the chances of SFV emulating other popular competitive games like Dota2 and having each online game have its own ID that you can spectate? So say for example, I could watch EVO/Canada Cup/NCR 2016 SFV Top 8 (or even better, I could watch any single match in pools or off-stage matches in top 32) all from within the SFV game engine with or without commentary instead of having to stream it? Because having seen that functionality in other games, these kinds of companies should be trying to learn off of each other. It's a different genre, and that presents its own set of problems, but I think this is the kind of direction I want to see us go.

pixelish

i probably will get flak for this comment but i hope tekken 7 will not be part of the main evo lineup this year just because it's still not released on consoles yet. the evo illuminati should let other community-supported games shine instead and have tekken 7 as a side event.

So what are the chances of SFV emulating other popular competitive games like Dota2 and having each online game have its own ID that you can spectate? So say for example, I could watch EVO/Canada Cup/NCR 2016 SFV Top 8 (or even better, I could watch any single match in pools or off-stage matches in top 32) all from within the SFV game engine with or without commentary instead of having to stream it? Because having seen that functionality in other games, these kinds of companies should be trying to learn off of each other. It's a different genre, and that presents its own set of problems, but I think this is the kind of direction I want to see us go.

Don't get your hopes up. Capcom could surprise us but that's the sort of thing that needs rigorous testing and we've heard nothing about it.

Neoxon

What time will they announce the lineup? 10 PM ET?
That's what I'm wondering. As far as last-minute predictions go, I'm gonna play it safe with...
  • Street Fighter V
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Killer Instinct
  • Tekken 7

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Sounds like a cool idea, but you have to remember that most of the events on the Capcom Pro Tour are at the mercy of hotel internet.

Something like this might be feasible for the designated stream station, but I certainly wouldn't expect it in pools.

That's what I'm wondering. As far as last-minute predictions go, I'm gonna play it safe with...
  • Street Fighter V
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Killer Instinct
  • Tekken 7

I'm thinking the same except for USF4.

If it does make it through, it'll either be a Saturday classic or teams tbh

pixelish

if they're removing ultra from this year's lineup, then they also have to remove melee or else people will claim favouritism or some other reasoning and get pissed about the decision.

Neoxon

if they're removing ultra from this year's lineup, then they also have to remove melee or else people will claim favouritism or some other reasoning and get pissed about the decision.
This is why I think USF4 will stick around for one more year. The likelihood of Smash 4 & Melee continuing to coexist is high, so keeping USF4 may be just a means to show that there isn't any favoritism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom