• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

CO_Andy

Screen%2BShot%2B01-27-16%2Bat%2B12.51%2BAM.PNG

Folks would be a whole lot less saltier were it not another Nintendo game lol

i think you prolly right but its still a bit early to tell isnt it?
Even if SFV is a worse game, which I don't think it will be, these things take time. They take more than a few months to figure out. We're talking less than 6 months between SFV's release and Evo, and that's just not enough time for the hype to die for such a huge title. Even Brawl had more life than that, and that game is atrocious.

We've all played the beta. Some people are complaining it's too simple, or that walk speeds are too slow, etc., but no one is saying "this game is terrible and I won't play it". No one. We know what we're getting, and most folks are at least somewhat satisfied with it.

Perro

Nina's super is basura, all that shit for an armbar lmao
Pokken's gonna be a trainwreck, road to evo for the game will be full of laughs, can't wait.

Over SFV? No way.

Who would prefer to watch SFIV?
Who would prefer to stream SFIV?
Who would prefer to play SFIV?

The answer to all three is "no one".
Kars, Street Fighter fans will play Ultra. It's like players still play 3s & ST. Somebody will stream it.

But on different note did Smug say which character he using in SFV

Kumubou

I actually think the LVCC is going to be a huge upgrade space-wise (trying to run the event this year in a hotel ballroom would have been absolute madness), but the location is going to be a hot problem, especially if people end up at more hotels than normal.

Last year the two Bally's rooms sat 8,000 and they were at capacity. I think it's a pretty good bet that the finals are going to sell out.

If you're booking at the Westgate make sure to request a room that isn't falling apart and doesn't have sewage, bugs, uncleaned ashtrays and smoky smell, blood on the floors, stains on all the surfaces and doesn't have any holes in the walls or ceilings. Might be tough for them to find one that meets all those criteria but I'm sure it's possible if you book early enough.
Didn't that whole hotel get remodeled over the last couple of years?

It was a total dump for Evo 2014 though... yeesh. And I'm not the sort of person who normally cares about that shit.

Dahbomb

Unlike the other older games (like 3S), I think USF4 still has a lot under the hood left. USF4 was yanked in its prime. So I would imagine that some contingent of players would still play it.

Of course Omega mode Edition select shenanigans.

Unlike the other older games (like 3S), I think USF4 still has a lot under the hood left. USF4 was yanked in its prime. So I would imagine that some contingent of players would still play it.

Of course Omega mode Edition select shenanigans.

Which is the main reason I was so upset that Edition mode wasn't the default as soon as Ultra came out. I knew if it wasn't done at the onset we would never see it or omega mode tournaments in the limelight. I was right.

Tbh I think its best SFIV isn't there. Only reason Marvel is in is due to history and the lack of a sequel.
Naw.... USF4 deserves a spot because it's still popular. We have 2 smash games, why not 2 SF games? The way Wizard phrased it made it seem like Capcom may have wanted to subdue SF, maybe to avoid a SFxT situation? It was really awkward how he was just like "Yup it was it's time, but Mahvel which is struggling to get viewers that stays."

Naw.... USF4 deserves a spot because it's still popular. We have 2 smash games, why not 2 SF games? The way Wizard phrased it made it seem like Capcom may have wanted to subdue SF, maybe to avoid a SFxT situation? It was really awkward how he was just like "Yup it was it's time, but Mahvel which is struggling to get viewers that stays."

Smash games don't have the same overlap USFIV and SFV would potentially have.

So one of my friends is already making preparations for a room for EVO. Q, you of course are more than welcome to room with me again (my friend is telling me he's getting a suite, but he's also notoriously bad at planning, so *shrug*). But if you don't want to on account of me snoring, then that's also fine.

Either way, my EVO plans are underway.

1) Mr. Wizard said that the 2 Smash games have almost no attendance overlap.
2) People will be focusing on SFV; no one wants to see sloppy unpracticed play in an old game at Evo (this goes for Marvel, too).
3) Marvel has no replacement title.

Pretty different situations.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
EVO thread is going to be a bunch of kids now. That means no perverted shit from shin and no booty scratcher between Yams and Cindi.

Dahbomb

I imagine for EVO 2017, unless it's completely ass, that KoF XIV will probably be the one to kill Marvel.
"SFxT will kill Marvel"
"KOFXIII will kill Marvel"
"Persona 4 will kill Marvel"
"Injustice will kill Marvel"
"GGXrd will kill Marvel"
"MKX will kill Marvel"
"SFV will kill Marvel"
etc.

78146-Jesse-Pinkman-he-cant-keep-get-MlXe.gif

I don't know about that

If Evo is now always in a convention hall, I think the number of games is more flexible.

That would only further cement the game's dead status.

If the number of games continues to expand, then Marvel won't obviously die, but at the least it'll probably end up falling off the sunday slot.

Only Marvel can kill Marvel.

Marvel's too dumb to kill Marvel.

"Persona 4 will kill Marvel"

Don't even know who'd be crazy enough to think that lol

marvel killed marvel years ago

But yeah there's a huge contingent of people with a lot of influence in the broader community who only play marvel, it'll stick around even when they can't use hype or viewers as an excuse. I imagine if SF4 gets that sort of game loyalty (it won't) it might return next year.

jerry1594

The main thing I don't get is why they went with that fugly ass kpop barbie art style instead of trying to replicate the Playmore art in 3D. It can't be that hard and would look pretty good cel shaded.

Today(or yesterday, technically) was an eventful day for fighting games. EVO lineup, Nina in Tekken 7, and more characters confirmed for KOF 14.

I'm satisfied with the EVO lineup. It's a very ballsy lineup, and I very much respect that. Out with the SF4, in with the SF5. Also Pokken, which I'm pleasantly surprised by. I didn't think that game had a chance, but good for the Pokken fans! I'm eager to see how many entrants that game has, and if the players can bring the hype.

I'm sure it's been said, but almost everything this year at EVO will be new. Aside from the obvious new games, there's Season 3 of Killer Instinct, Kombat Pack 2 for Mortal Kombat, and Smash 4 will have had a bunch of new character additions since last year.

Marvel and Melee are the only ones that are genuinely not new. Marvel is Marvel and Melee is the Super Turbo that will never ever be taken off the main stage.

Otherwise, I'm glad to see that Tekken's first lady is back, and KOF 14 still has my interest. Yo, fighting games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom