• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilletor

How is it supposed to be pronunced?

I say Reeyou. I had a friend who said it's supposed to be Roo.

That's the name of a character in Winnie the Poo, though, so I'll never say it that way.

That's the name of a character in Winnie the Poo, though, so I'll never say it that way.

If you're speaking English, Reeyou is just fine.

In Japanese, the R has a slight D. Sounding almost like Drew.

Beckx

The problem lies in the heart of battl....in the fact that the syllables that we show starting with "r" in english aren't R at all. You can hear a really good example of りゅ (which is the same as the リユ that forms the first element of Ryu's name, リュウ) at Tae Kim's site (scroll down to Y-vowel sounds and click りゅ)

Accurate ryu/ryo pronunciation is hard and I wouldn't expect anyone not learning Japanese to actually do that. reeyou is fine. RAIyou is horrible.

Tripon

jYg9Ush.png

It's not fun to get hit guys.

The problem lies in the heart of battl....in the fact that the syllables that we show starting with "r" in english aren't R at all. You can hear a really good example of りゅ (which is the same as the リユ that forms the first element of Ryu's name, リュウ) at Tae Kim's site (scroll down to Y-vowel sounds and click りゅ)

Accurate ryu/ryo pronunciation is hard and I wouldn't expect anyone not learning Japanese to actually do that. reeyou is fine. RAIyou is horrible.

Are you a fellow student of the language?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dude! Thanks for the picture, it helps a lot with seeing what your talking about. I just tried to imagine doing half circle motions with my thumb like that and it seems...awkward. I need to give this setup a shot and see if I like it better than the thumbstick. You're right side thumb reasoning sounds like how I was playing during the Beta (and have played SNES games for ages). I'll give it a shot.

It might seem awkward to imagine and even for me when I'm not holding the controller it's weird as hell to imagine but once you are in game and see how little you have to move your thumb to get all 360 degree's of motion it just works perfectly.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHYhaa2w_C8

Ree-yoo isn't really correct because it's one syllable.

Roo isn't really correct because it's missing the "y" part.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not trying to force you to change. Ree-yoo is fine, if you're a native English speaker. It's not like we all pronounce "Paris" as "Pa-ree"

I don't expect anyone not Japanese or learning Japanese to pronounce Ryu the correct way. In English, Reeyou is the closest you're gonna get because the Japanese word has sounds not commonly made in English.

DunpealD

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHYhaa2w_C8

Ree-yoo isn't really correct because it's one syllable.

Roo isn't really correct because it's missing the "y" part.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not trying to force you to change. Ree-yoo is fine, if you're a native English speaker. It's not like we all pronounce "Paris" as "Pa-ree"

I think the easiest way to describe how to pronounce it is comparable to the Liu in Liu Kang.

Ever watch his stream? I don't know how I do it but I've tuned in many times and it's always him complaining about online non stop. Always saying the matches are laggy or that he input a move that didn't come out. PR Rog also hates playing online but he accepts it for what it is unlike Hamad who seems like he's torturing himself and wants to let everybody know how tortured he is. I'll watch every here and there but tune out eventually because instead of just talking about whatever he focuses too much on how much online play and online players suck.

BTW guys I'm doing a farewell to SF4 tournament. It's on PC and takes place this Friday, it's random select with Edition Select. I'm giving away a SFV Season Pass to the winner. The cap is 16, but only 2 slots have been filled so far. Please join if you want to play in a non-serious(but still with something online the line) tournament for fun. Sorry if you're disappointed that I'm not doing a more serious tournament. For those that want a serious tournament, hopefully Yams will be back soon because he wanted to throw one before SFV comes out.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/YBlJSLVBR1

Who's the guy organizing the final SFIV tourney?

we in there

DunpealD

Who's the guy organizing the final SFIV tourney?

You know what kind of tourny I want to see?
A 3v3 elimination online tourny.
You know. The mode everybody forgot about and nobody even played.

EDIT: Same kind of mode announced for KOFXIV btw.
From he Playstation Blog:
A brand new fighting game experience, Party Battle Mode!
Get ready to duke it out with as many as six people (three players on each team) in VS Online Party Battle. Feel the heat of an authentic fighting game tournament experience via PSN!

Nyoro SF

We don't even know if there will be online lobbies yet. I'm sure I won't be the only one pissed about non-existant lobbies at launch.

No online lobbies, no ping or latency checks playerside, and a quick search function only, that allows you to only filter from "1 to 5", whatever the hell that means

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom