• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
In three months, our local Smash 4 monthly tournament jumped in attendance from 47 players in December, to 100 in January (beating our all-time previous record of ~70), and then to 128 this past Saturday night.

We ran a 128-player bracket in ~6 hours, with 2 streams and a separate doubles bracket happening concurrently, with only 4 staff members (2 streamers, 2 bracket runners).

I'm proud enough of that logistical feat to pop-off about it.

NEO0MJ

In three months, our local Smash 4 monthly tournament jumped in attendance from 47 players in December, to 100 in January (beating our all-time previous record of ~70), and then to 128 this past Saturday night.

That's pretty cool. Well done.

https://twitter.com/JohnnyUtah_ng/status/696495212483497985

CapytHLXIAAuSLT.jpg

Maybe he got hit with whatever virus Birdie had and Laura's on a quest to find him so he can help Sean?

Bizazedo

We ran a 128-player bracket in ~6 hours, with 2 streams and a separate doubles bracket happening concurrently, with only 4 staff members (2 streamers, 2 bracket runners).

That is pretty good :).

I still don't understand the rise of Smash, though.

Beckx

I have a pretty silly question (sillier even than usual from me!): I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the game is just pretty fun with a lot of appealing characters to play? We go round and round here about what games can do to draw new players and maybe the fundamental answer is really simple?

Xcom 2 is a good game

There is a damn glut of good games. I am already at the point that I have more games than I think I'll ever be able to finish in my lifetime. Xcom 2 looks like something I would really like but then I think I'll just spend the $60 and never have time for it.

mbpm1

There is a damn glut of good games. I am already at the point that I have more games than I think I'll ever be able to finish in my lifetime. Xcom 2 looks like something I would really like but then I think I'll just spend the $60 and never have time for it.

Ah, I never really have this problem. My solution to that is usually: If it's older than a year I forget about it

Bizazedo

I have a pretty silly question (sillier even than usual from me!): I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the game is just pretty fun with a lot of appealing characters to play? We go round and round here about what games can do to draw new players and maybe the fundamental answer is really simple?
I wasn't bashing the game itself, though, was more thinking about how popular the Wii U is / isn't.

Smash is an infinitely more popular franchise
True that.

It being at EVO, the nintendo drama, and the documentary made it explode. It seems like those 3 things allowed the game to reach out to the big numbers that buy Smash, but weren't into it competitively.

Kumubou

How many setups were you running? 8 or so? I'm guessing that you had each bracket runner monitoring four stations.

The crazy part to me is that you managed to get singles and doubles done in that timeframe. I would have figured running both at the same time would cause a ton of blocking issued late in the tournaments (although smart player distribution could hold that off for a lot of the early rounds).

Good stuff, regardless.

How do I create opportunities? I haven't concentrated on combos for the same reason. But I don't know how to make opportunities yet.

You create opportunities for combos every time you "win" neutral, or every time you have a throw/frame trap situation.

Let's say you're playing SFV Chun. Any back+HP can combo to super. If you have full meter, any landed back+HP becomes an opportunity.

Jumpin. Your jumping HK is blocked. Mixup opportunity.

Simply think "how do I land the first hit of this combo?" The answer, the creation of that opportunity, usually starts with winning neutral and establishing close range. A different example would be an air reset setup (ie antiair with stLK, then walk under).

Even Bison knew to go for a Psycho blast in case he blocks it instead of a psycho inferno.
Depends on the version. Psycho Blast is unsafe in Beta 1 IIRC.

A look into Bison's Oki game in SFV

Looks pretty legit tbh, but without special spam bison is useless
LOL, EX meter for a 50/50 that doesn't even beat DPs, and Bison still only has a tick throw or low/crush for oki options. Plus it only works if they fail to tech, and you have to decide pre-emptively whether to use the oki tool because it's a charge move, meaning that you are just wasting EX meter if they tech. How are you impressed by this? It's mostly a waste of meter on a character with one of the best uses for meter in the game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Depends on the version. Psycho Blast is unsafe in Beta 1 IIRC.

LOL, EX meter for a 50/50 that doesn't even beat DPs, and Bison still only has a tick throw or low/crush for oki options. Plus it only works if they fail to tech, and you have to decide pre-emptively whether to use the oki tool because it's a charge move, meaning that you are just wasting EX meter if they tech. How are you impressed by this? It's mostly a waste of meter on a character with one of the best uses for meter in the game.

Did you not watch the full video?

and the charge move thing is a non-issue

WOW. Look at how good Psycho Inferno is at 1:30 in that trailer. :-O

Edit: I find that intro much less impactful than SFIV's. The C. Viper vs. Chun-li fight was so intense.

Did you not watch the full video?

and the charge move thing is a non-issue
The oki if they tech isn't any different from just using the move in the neutral most of the time. Completely uninteresting, and really old news.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah that Bison stuff doesn't seem that scary considering you have to spend bar to do it. Especially since Bison would also have to guess between immediate or late throw tech too. Not super familiar with Bison's frames yet but if I'm reading it right, there's a 5-frame gap between cr.lp and st.hk? So you can just mash jab between the lp and the hk? Might be better to do like, jab, then staggered jab or mk or lk or something and confirm into a counterhit combo. Or the shimmy to punish the throw whiff. If Bison's slow ass can even do that. I guess the rh is probably good against late throw tech.

I mean it's a useful tool that will be a good idea for Bison players to use sometimes but it's not like super crazy or anything. Ain't really scared of that shit.

notworksafe

Why that? I need some big cats in my life

CEO and Chairman resigned today, the day before their earnings report

http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/8/10939752/mad-catz-executive-board-changes-rock-band-4-earnings
For its last fiscal quarter, Mad Catz touted net sales of $38.9 million, boosted by the Oct. 6 launch of Rock Band 4 and its various controller bundles The company still posted a net loss for the quarter that was 75 percent greater than the same period in 2014, and a six-month loss 157 percent higher than the same period the year before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom