• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tik-Tok

The bengus Street Fighter art has grown on me.
So that means you're all wrong.
but theres hope you might be right eventually... when you change your mind.

Kumubou

Tekken 7 I want you.
Unfortunately, it'll be out on console after it stops making Namco money in arcades
so it'll be a launch game for the Playstation 6

Oddly enough, I actually played T7 last night... it turns out one of the local Dave & Busters here has two of the old US loketest cabinets. Apparently they are the only two cabinets still in the US? Really weird. They were busy all night with a line about 7-8 deep -- first time I can remember having that old arcade experience in a loooooooong while.

Ah. Not usually a good idea but with the recovery on there just go for broke lol

That's just a part of the game. When he has two meters and does a midscreen loop that does kinda suck but you just need to deal. I get more annoyed by stuff that gets introduced that is not part of the game. Left right i assumed you mean midscreen setups? Tackles are pretty sick and ex chop is a nice simple confirm. I like how simple alex is to pick up and play yet gets so challenging to play at a high level.
Urien's midscreen game is scarier than getting cornered in my book. Those cross up head butts are no joke. As for Alex... I call playing him more desperate than challenging lol. His EX moves and specials have their uses, but everything is pretty weird. His flash chop is probably his best special and he can combo into it, but he can't super cancel it like he can his slash elbow which can't be combo'd into. Most of his best normals also can't be special or super canceled. Alex is the personification of clean footsies. I'm in the middle of some coop cup footage and it doesn't get more honest than this.
There's just so many fighting games and games in general) to play these days. It's kinda overwhelming.
I know the feeling.
Solar we gotta play VSav and 3S on fightcade one of these days.

Edit: You too pizarro.
After seeing your post I loaded up 3S and got destroyed by a veteran player. Then I found a newbie and had fun with him for a while. VSav is only ever full of killers, but I'm better at that game. That oldschool fighting game life is tough.

Perro

Some men just want to random select everymatch and make you look like a complete scrub
and watch the world burn.

jerry1594

Urien's midscreen game is scarier than getting cornered in my book. Those cross up head butts are no joke. As for Alex... I call playing him more desperate than challenging lol. His EX moves and specials have their uses, but everything is pretty weird. His flash chop is probably his best special and he can combo into it, but he can't super cancel it like he can his slash elbow which can't be combo'd into. Most of his best normals also can't be special or super canceled. Alex is the personification of clean footsies. I'm in the middle of some coop cup footage and it doesn't get more honest than this.

I know the feeling.
Slash elbow can be comboed into. You need to buffer or partition it. You can combo flash chop with super but only the heavier versions which can't be comboed into. I see Genki do it as read but he never or almost never combos into super. Either standing mp ex flash chop or stand mp ex slash elbow is what i see him do most. It does comparable damage and good corner carry.
He is pretty honest but he has some stuff gimmicks like stomp mixup and kara power bomb.
Crossup headbutt. You mean after hitting you with aegis then headbutting over you to push you into the mirror?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Cao18ffWwAAN_Tn.jpg

where's blanka?

I would totally fa... I mean buy this.
zmm8oXO.png

Some men just want to random select everymatch and make you look like a complete scrub
and watch the world burn.

This is how I feel against jlai.

FACE

Banned
After seeing your post I loaded up 3S and got destroyed by a veteran player. Then I found a newbie and had fun with him for a while. VSav is only ever full of killers, but I'm better at that game. That oldschool fighting game life is tough.

I lose to the all the whack ryus in fightcade cause I'm too slow to play 3s properly.

Edit: Are you on the discord chat thingy?

Old school fighting game isn't so tough when you meet the right people. Met a guy on Fightcade and he's teaching me ST until V.
Depends on the game and the community. VSav had a helpful community, but it's tough as nails despite being relatively simple.
Slash elbow can be comboed into. You need to buffer or partition it though. You can combo flash chop with super but only the heavier versions which can't be comboed into. I see Genki do it as read but he never or almost never combos into super. Either standing mp ex flash chop or stand mp ex slash elbow is what i see him do most. It does comparable damage and good corner carry.
Lots of nice tips here. I also noticed that most JP Alex players follow up HP flash chop with EX slash elbow. I just forgot about how the HP version of chop stuns people.
I lose to the all the whack ryus in fightcade cause I'm too slow to play 3s properly.

Edit: Are you on the discord chat thingy?
I am now.

Dlent

I kind of mourn the failure of PSASBR now that I've platinumed Gravity Rush and a character I now like is trapped in a bad fighting game that nobody plays.

ShinMaruku

I am half and half on Tekken. Josie looks fun as does Choloe and Asuka's honkers cannot be denied, but I dunno, that game seems like hell.

Salex_

Pretty crazy. Just saw a SFV TV commercial full of tournament players I've been watching in streams over the past few years.

pixelish

happy lunar new year to everyone here who celebrates it. i'm glad the lunar new year is this week as i get to distract myself from thinking about sfv thanks to the week-long festivities.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
happy lunar new year to everyone here who celebrates it. i'm glad the lunar new year is this week as i get to distract myself from thinking about sfv thanks to the week-long festivities.

happy lunar new year, wish i had a week of festivities to distract myself lol

Happy Chinese New Year!

Cross posted from my noob thread:

Great Dom101, but this quote in particular:

As a little aside, this is why I tend to be more interested in tactics generally than in combos alone. Combos never CREATE an opportunity, theyre merely ways of taking advantage of existing opportunities. A prime example is again the Japanese MVC2 players- in the few chances they got to land a combo, they put on a real exhibition. However, in 25 matches, I can count the number of such opportunities on one hand. Combos are only any good when youve already broken down an opponents defense- and against good players, that dont come easy. As such, the threat that goes with combo skills can be entirely neutralized simply by keeping yourself out of position to get hit with them in the first place. This makes things like positioning, setups, tricks, etc, primary in a way that combos (while still important) can never be.

http://shoryuken.com/2013/07/29/domination-101-critical-breakdown/

How do I create opportunities? I haven't concentrated on combos for the same reason. But I don't know how to make opportunities yet.

In SFV, opportunities for combos come in the form of crush counters.

This Dom101 completely changed my thinking with my current game plan but I want to know more. I'd love to learn about strategy and setups and positioning.

pixelish

What kinds of stuff do you do, and why? I'm curious about this.
i'm from asia so chinese new year is a big holiday here.
but what chinese families usually do here in malaysia is we would have a big family reunion dinner on the day before the first day of chinese new year and on the first week of cny, we would go visit relatives' houses and collect red envelopes (aka money) from them like this.
tumblr_n08yyrnA3w1qddd9qo1_400.gif

it's also the time where we become degenerates and gamble our life savings away.

vulva

i'm from asia so chinese new year is a big holiday here.
but what chinese families usually do here in malaysia is we would have a big family reunion dinner on the day before the first day of chinese new year and on the first week of cny, we would go visit relatives' houses and collect red envelopes (aka money) from them like this.
tumblr_n08yyrnA3w1qddd9qo1_400.gif

it's also the time where we become degenerates and gamble our life savings away.
Yo I responded to your question about non English films if you're interested and missed it

Rhapsody

Banned
Happy Chinese New Year!

How do I create opportunities? I haven't concentrated on combos for the same reason. But I don't know how to make opportunities yet.

This Dom101 completely changed my thinking with my current game plan but I want to know more. I'd love to learn about strategy and setups and positioning.

Creating opportunities really depends. Sometimes it can be player dependent on getting the read on what type of player they are. If it's a bad flowchart player, your opportunity is to let them hang themselves. Another is looking at their defense. Maybe this opponent is just really bad at throws and are concentrating on just high/low. See if the opponent is very bad at footsies and play too passively, end up walking them into the corner. You can also try to figure out if they're an impatient player if you end up ruining one of their strategies.

If we're looking at SFIV, definitely take a look at matches that end up having amounts of time where "nothing" happens. Take note on what breaks that. Just remember against a smart player, they'll be trying to create opportunities as well.

CPS2

Happy Chinese New Year!

If you want some examples of setups, theres a lot of examples but look up some of DJ-B13's CvS2 videos on youtube. A lot of them show block strings, hit confirms, frame traps, and then how to maximise damage when you land the hit. Then after the combo ideally you put them into some sort of option select scenario or 50/50 so that you can get more damage. What I do is try to figure out the most damage you can get from every move, in any situation (e.g. every move midscreen, in the corner, with no meter, with max meter, etc), and then you can see which moves you should be going for, and what you can do to make them expect something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom