• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious. Was Blizzard determined to turn Hearthstone into esports like Capcom currently is with sf5? Or did it become a high viewed game unintentionally?

Shackzam

Was it - enough to be punishable? I'm even cool with it being -, just so long as it isn't punishable on block.
It didn't seem to be, but I didn't try a dp reversal to double check though.I was trying really hard to punish it with a 3 frame normal and it wasn't working.

kirblar

People of all walks of life play MOBAs. You don't need an insane PC to run those games, getting a PC for the price you put into console + games can allow you to play F2P games on PC cost effectively. These games are played globally in all sorts of countries.

MOBAS get bigger sponsors because they got more views and players on top of being on PC which means more stuff they can market to the viewers/players. Hearthstone doesn't get more sponsors because it's something only rich white people play (it's a free game for a phone which so many people have compared to consoles), it gets sponsors because it consistentry get high number of views.
You don't need an insane PC, but having a decent PC w/ a decent GPU is a minimum baseline requirement, no? You can sell someone a $100-200 FX card pretty easily.

PC/Internet access at home also still isn't a baseline thing in the US/world (unfortunately.) Electricity generally is.

Tech's evaporating barrier to entry is interesting and definitely changing how things function over the past ~5 years, but it's still a higher barrier to entry than FGs, and they're still generally looking at an audience demographic making/spending a lot more money on average.

Beckx

Woke up. Beta's still running in training mode :p

Not surprised. There was that point a few weeks ago where even though the beta wasn't running, you could start it up and it would show you the first set of tutorials and some story bits with Ryu and Ken.

Edit: looks like beta is dead now though? I just tried and just get the server unavailable message.

Anne

I'm curious. Was Blizzard determined to turn Hearthstone into esports like Capcom currently is with sf5? Or did it become a high viewed game unintentionally?

Yes. eSports don't happen naturally cause the game is good competitively, the entire eSport infrastructure is built from the ground up by the publisher.

It didn't seem to be, but I didn't try a dp reversal to double check though.I was trying really hard to punish it with a 3 frame normal and it wasn't working.
Looks like it got a small buff, then. In Beta 2, it was so negative on block that Karin could sweep it. :-(

Dahbomb

Of course it was built up by Blizzard, the game was still in beta and Blizzard was hosting tournaments for it.

Though Blizzard didn't really push it as much as they tried with SC2.

entire eSport infrastructure is built from the ground up by the publisher.
That wasn't always the case, Brood War and DOTA 1 started off from the ground up with community competition. People forget that there were high stakes DOTA 1 tournament and that has NO PUBLISHER backing because it's a mod. And these 2 games alongside Counter Strike actually started the whole e-sports thing (before it was even really called e-sports).

You don't need an insane PC, but having a decent PC w/ a decent GPU is a minimum baseline requirement, no? You can sell someone a $100-200 FX card pretty easily.

PC/Internet access at home also still isn't a baseline thing in the US/world (unfortunately.) Electricity generally is.

Tech's evaporating barrier to entry is interesting and definitely changing how things function over the past ~5 years, but it's still a higher barrier to entry than FGs, and they're still generally looking at an audience demographic making/spending a lot more money on average.
You can make a $500-$600 PC that can easily run these games on 60FPS or higher. That's about how much you would be spending for Console + online subscription + the actual $60 game.

Outside of US more people game on PC than on consoles because PC is just a household item that most people have as default. Plus in non first world countries where game piracy is rampant... PC is the preferred platform because well you can theoretically get all your high end games for free (not so much on PS4/XB1). And these PCs will also run the F2P MOBAs. And with the death of arcades globally... LAN cafes have taken that place and I will tell you right now that the cost per hour outside of USA is super cheap. You can easily play WAY more on LAN cafes these days than you could on arcades (unless you won every single game). So in general even people who don't have PCs at home, they can play these games at LAN cafes and get exposure that way.

And USA Internet is far behind many other countries, even non first world countries. My cousins abroad get faster Internet for cheap than what I get here. Of course latency is a different matter altogether because you are usually playing people outside of that country.

Anne

That wasn't always the case, Brood War and DOTA 1 started off from the ground up with community competition. People forget that there were high stakes DOTA 1 tournament and that has NO PUBLISHER backing because it's a mod. And these 2 games alongside Counter Strike actually started the whole e-sports thing (before it was even really called e-sports).

key word: wasn't. I'm not going to say it's impossible to have good competition organically, FGC did it, but to be what we know as eSports now you need to have a base built for it.

petghost

Banned
played 3s for the first time against a human yesterday on fightcade. its so much fun even though i got wrecked.

pizarro you play on fightcade?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Want to tell me the status of Psycho Inferno in this build?
+ or - on block?
qcb or charge?
Big or small flame?
Hard or soft knockdown?

You can really tell they don't know what they're doing with this move.

Actually, I just tried to switch characters, and it works now. Ken vs Bison now.

Line_HTX

People of all walks of life play MOBAs. You don't need an insane PC to run those games, getting a PC for the price you put into console + games can allow you to play F2P games on PC cost effectively. These games are played globally in all sorts of countries.

MOBAS get bigger sponsors because they got more views and players on top of being on PC which means more stuff they can market to the viewers/players. Hearthstone doesn't get more sponsors because it's something only rich white people play (it's a free game for a phone which so many people have compared to consoles), it gets sponsors because it consistentry get high number of views.

Sometimes tournament play can be hilarious and sometimes it can be disgusting to watch.

2-2-1449874213.jpg

This is the closest I'm gonna get to Robo-Ky in Xrd.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Want to tell me the status of Psycho Inferno in this build?
+ or - on block?
qcb or charge?
Big or small flame?
Hard or soft knockdown?

You can really tell they don't know what they're doing with this move.

Soft KD, seems like they're all punishable by SRK on block except for the ex version.

tariniel

I play a rush down characters and I like to be in peoples faces, but one of the things I notice I'm bad at is dealing with wake up command grabs from the likes of Gief/Hawk etc.

If I'm walking toward the opponent, waiting for them to stand, input some normal to try to start a combo, and then get command grabbed before the normal connects, how do I fix it?

Do I just not try to do combos on these characters?

Dahbomb

Sometimes tournament play can be hilarious and sometimes it can be disgusting to watch.
Hearthstone?

About as legitimate of a competitive game as RPS to be honest. Maybe even less because even if you have a read on an opponent you can still lose in HS.

jerry1594

played 3s for the first time against a human yesterday on fightcade. its so much fun even though i got wrecked.

Sometimes, but I haven't had much time to play in the past month or so. Only played a handful of days. Tomorrow I might have some time in the afternoon though.

Shun

I play a rush down characters and I like to be in peoples faces, but one of the things I notice I'm bad at is dealing with wake up command grabs from the likes of Gief/Hawk etc.

If I'm walking toward the opponent, waiting for them to stand, input some normal to try to start a combo, and then get command grabbed before the normal connects, how do I fix it?

It depends on your character you play and what your matchup is.

In many cases a backdash is what you want to do to escape since you're unable to break a command grab.

You need to know what options you have and how you are able to wake up. You can wake up jump, wake up backdash, normals or moves with higher priority and frame advantage.

If you play a rushdown character it doesn't mean be reckless. You should apply pressure to an opponent who is down but it doesn't mean stay extremely close. The most important thing is knowing which moves and strings are safe before going in for pressure. Learn what oki options you have and adjust. It's okay to be an offensive player, it's not okay to be reckless and moving without accounting for what options your matchup has.

VariantX

If you bought the SNK 25th anniversary humble bundle check your links. 4 new games including Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 and KOF 02 which should run on fightcade for GGPO.

Also for shmup fanatics like me Blazing Star and IronClad which are phenomenal! I got and played Blazing Star heavily on mobile, but Ironclad is another new release and it is fucking fantastic with its robot drone option.

Fuck Yeah SNK humble bundle.

I have no earthly clue how you can play Blazing Star or any shump on mobile. Its an exercise in frustration as im constantly waiting for my ship to catch up to my thumb to not get shot down by projectiles that I would never get hit by using a stick or a d-pad. I'm still searching for a way to play my kindle games on pc just so I can reasonably attempt to get good at them.

tariniel

It depends on your character you play and what your matchup is.

In many cases a backdash is what you want to do to escape since you're unable to break a command grab.

You need to know what options you have and how you are able to wake up. You can wake up jump, wake up backdash, normals or moves with higher priority and frame advantage.

If you play a rushdown character it doesn't mean be reckless. You should apply pressure to an opponent who is down but it doesn't mean stay extremely close. The most important thing is knowing which moves and strings are safe before going in for pressure. Learn what oki options you have and adjust. It's okay to be an offensive player, it's not okay to be reckless and moving without accounting for what options your matchup has.

I play Bison mostly, sometimes Decapre. I just installed the game again after about a year without playing and am still catching back up. Even so I've always done very poorly against the large grappler characters. My opponent was playing T.Hawk.

After a few times of it happening I started treating it almost like I was expecting a shoryu, where I would walk up after a hard knockdown, and then the last second walk back a step to block, but the throws have quite deceptive range, so perhaps that's the first thing I need to do is learn the range. Sometimes I would try to time a 'meaty' standing roundhouse from range but it always got grabbed every time I tried it.

Can I counterhit T.Hawks or Giefs command grabs? I remember Bison's standing fierce being good at that but I completely forgot about counterhits when I was playing yesterday. Now that I think about I might also bait it by neutral jumping at the last second? But I don't know how fast the grabs recover.

I got ex command thrown and uppercutted for trying :/, I didn't really have the timing down pat but I did go for it tons of times.

Shouldn't have put unblockable fireball, but you get the point

I actually got it the very first time I was in this situation. I thought a fun gimmick to try would be blocked sweep, V trigger, cr. MK, charged EX fireball to either catch them trying to jump out or maybe guard crush them if they stay still. So I'm in a Ryu mirror and when I go for the sweep to cancel into V Trigger, the sweep lands as a counter hit. This surprises me and I pause for a bit, then I charge the fireball and hit my opponent trying jump out of it. Which seems like it was almost exactly the perfect timing.

As for Ryu, I am enjoying playing as him, even this weak version of him. But I'll probably always enjoy playing that classic shoto as I've done for over 20 years now so I'm the exception. I don't blame anybody else for saying he's boring though. He's the least changed of all the returning characters and he has had so many options and combos removed. I was pretty upset about it all but I'm still going to try and make it work. And I'm still holding out some hope for some decent buffs before release.

kirblar

Hearthstone?

About as legitimate of a competitive game as RPS to be honest. Maybe even less because even if you have a read on an opponent you can still lose in HS.
Since the resource system took all the RNG out of the mana, they inserted it literally everywhere else they could to a degree that makes the game obnoxious (at best) as a competitive game.

Third Strike is an entirely different beast on fightcade in my experience. After several weeks I still haven't played a SINGLE Chun Li player. Sure, there are lots of Kens and Yuns, but there are also lots of Makoto, Hugo, Remy (who is really too good for Street Fighter imo) and Q players. You even get some Twelve, Sean and Alex action. It's a really healthy spread compared to what most people expect from tournaments. Too bad most of them will never be seen in another Capcom fighter.

mbpm1

Can I counterhit T.Hawks or Giefs command grabs? I remember Bison's standing fierce being good at that but I completely forgot about counterhits when I was playing yesterday. Now that I think about I might also bait it by neutral jumping at the last second? But I don't know how fast the grabs recover.

Don't try to counterhit a grab most of the time, especially online.

Neutral jump is like, the number one way people deal with it. Command grabs take forever to recover, if you bait one you can easily hit them for a full combo on the way down

petghost

Banned
Third Strike is an entirely different beast on fightcade in my experience. After several weeks I still haven't played a SINGLE Chun Li player. Sure, there are lots of Kens and Yuns, but there are also lots of Makoto, Hugo, Remy (who is really too good for Street Fighter imo) and Q players. You even get some Twelve, Sean and Alex action. It's a really healthy spread compared to what most people expect from tournaments. Too bad most of them will never be seen in another Capcom fighter.

i originally got fightcade to try to get some vsav matches but there is like nobody playing...

what happened? i was under the impression that vsav was big on fightcade

def gonna try to learn 3s and maybe st tho.

i originally got fightcade to try to get some vsav matches but there is like nobody playing...

what happened? i was under the impression that vsav was big on fightcade

def gonna try to learn 3s and maybe st tho.
Three years ago people in GGPO VSav used to joke about everyone being AFK. It doesn't surprise me that nowadays it's super slow. The best you can do is look for players here on GAF or something. US nighttime is also a good time to go looking for matches (especially the weekend). Just mentally prepare yourself because anyone good at this game will have seen some shit. The more tight knit the community, the higher the base skill level.

I play both VSav and 3S every once in a while.

petghost

Banned
it'd be so great if someone set up a naomi emulator with ggpo netplay/lobbies. im sure lots of people would wanna play ggxxac,mvc2 and cvs2 on a good connection.

vulva

anyone got a pc code for the beta? I upgraded my gpu and want to see how things go this weekend with the beta.

nm we good now

Tripon

Watson is still fighting for it, right? I'm sure he's not going to give up on it still.

Can't fight with no money. His burn rate would have bankrupt him already unless he has some super secret stash of money that is separate from the kickstarter money he raised.

shaowebb

I have no earthly clue how you can play Blazing Star or any shump on mobile. Its an exercise in frustration as im constantly waiting for my ship to catch up to my thumb to not get shot down by projectiles that I would never get hit by using a stick or a d-pad. I'm still searching for a way to play my kindle games on pc just so I can reasonably attempt to get good at them.

Ha! I play Espgaluda and Deathsmiles on mobile. Blazing Star isn't so bad after that. Honestly, Deathsmiles is awesome as a shmup for scoring and since the mobile version has a currency system that unlocks all kinds of powerups not in the console version for the new character it meant I got a lot of training.

You adjust really. There's a guy with a slick iFBA setup on his apple tablet running it via output cables to a TATE mode monitor on the facebook shmup groups rocking games that didn't have touch with it now.
36mznh8.jpg

^ I love his setup SOOOO much. He's running Esp Ra De on there through iFBA on a Mobile media stand with rotating TV mount, laptop stand, iFBA on an apple tablet, output cables. Esp Ra De never had touch play till iFBA and he set up a little minicade for anything he feels like scoring on via touch play.
Soooooooo good.

Some games it just works with once you make the adjustment. Sorta like how you gotta learn stick and there's an adjustment period.

No matter how you choose to play the SNK bundle though its worth it. Sooooooooo many incredible games, legal roms for Fightcade GGPO stuff, and soundtracks.

DunpealD

Actually, I just tried to switch characters, and it works now. Ken vs Bison now.

Can you switch to Dictator vs. Ryu.
Put Ryu into reversal parry after guard, use st.HK to gain advantage on block and try every single button if you can hit the startup of the parry. In Beta 2 Ryu would get CH after st.HK into cr.mp.

So I am in Japan. I reaffirmed my hate for stock japan arcade parts. I hate square gates and limp standard springs and ball tops.

Played Fighting Layer and SC3:AE for the first tine at Mikado. You fight a swimming shark in Fighting Layer. Also on one of the Karnov's Revenge machine, there was dial to change your button layout. I had never seen that before. That certainly is a GG arcade.

I went to all the major arcades. Some of the FGs are more busy at certain places of course, but goddamn those damn Gundam VS games are popular everywhere. Always somebody playing on a machine. WTF, haha. I saw alot of Dissidia machines, but I didn't see alot of people playing personally. I did get to finally play border break as well. I am out of the loop of course, but I saw tons of those card games, Actually, there was tons of stuff I have never heard of before.

The one thing that sucks is the smoking. So much smoke in the arcades. I wanna cough out a lung. Smoking in eating places as well. Smoking everywhere.

My DeeJay was getting rocked most places. I got some wins here and there though, haha. I have personally played alot of Elenas, Kens, Sims, Yuns and Seths so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom