• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Feng is swole.

CWPQSh8U8AAO_J0.jpg
CWPQUqHU8AA1rb1.jpg

Ooh, I did the stage on the botttom.

Lili looks fantastic as usual. Though I kind of need a different angle and different lighting to see if her face doesn't look awful Revolution style.

Dahbomb

That's what my thought was. Btw, why are you still a junior? Its been more than 3 months for sure... Or is it a permanent thing?
It's about to be a year actually. I honestly never got any message from a mod about it so I don't even know if it's permanent or temporary.

Shackzam

I only brought it up because this was the first blatant case of racism I have experienced in over a decade so I was a bit taken a back by it. I know there is more casual/indirect forms of racism all over but at least people try to hide it.. this example was just more like "man... some people really don't give a shit do they?"
That isn't too bad from some of the shit I've seen go down in Chicago. I was on the bus coming home from school the one day and this man sits next to this girl. He was mumbling stuff as he got the bus so he didn't seem to right in the head, but I noticed a lot of this mumbling was directed at her because she looked something of a Pakistan culture. She got up in a rage and left the bus because of how fucking disgusting this man was being, he tried to justify his horrifying insults because he was in the army. It's one of the few times I've seen such horrible blatant racism and him not giving a fuck about it. He was calling her things like "sand n-word" and "terrorist bitch". I wanted to beat the fuck out of this dude, but he fucking left the bus like a coward.

I was at my local lan center today playing some MVC2 on the arcade cabinet for fun.

A mom walked in with her 7 year old son. She looked around, saw me and then told her son "let's go honey, I didn't know there will be terrorists here".

As someone who has worked in ERs across different countries and helped save the lives of people who suffered from real terrorist attacks.. I was legit offended by that comment.

Sad part is that the place I am at is one of the very arcade/gaming centers in an area (people from a long ways come here) and her mother denied her child some quality entertainment that is very hard to come by these days... all because of her own prejudices.

I guess I should be happy she didn't pull a gun on me or something. That's actually happened before but not due to the color of my skin.

havent had that happen to me, but I am a lot whiter than most desi

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Can someone link the video where that gif is from? ^

It's about to be a year actually. I honestly never got any message from a mod about it so I don't even know if it's permanent or temporary.

I don't wanna cause any trouble but Shouta halp Dahbomb with clarifying this. I won't butt too much but I'll put my 2 cents in.

Sayad

Holly shit at Dahbomb story, why would someone go out of their way and deny their son some play time just to offend someone! Worst part is that's not even prejudices, if she actually thought Dahbomb poses any kind of threat, she wouldn't have said anything and just walked away.

Dahbomb

Being arab is probably worse than being black in America at this point.
You mean brown.

Your average American isn't going to ask you if you are Arabic to state you are a terrorist. Technically I am not even from the Middle East.

I know people who are Hispanic who have been called terrorist or sand n word. And they probably get more offended by it.

Nightii

Banned
Mexican that has gotten called Dirty Terrorist here, it's....not a pleasant experience, so much unbridled hatred and fear concentrated in such words.

The silver lining was that I laughed it off because Iwas told this by a tourist visiting Culiacan, my hometown. Like, how do you jump to the conclusion of a random dude you run into in the middle of Mexico being an eastern terrorist?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I came back to my game, and apparently I can still play in training mode although the servers shut off. I guess I'll see how long this lasts lol.

Sigmaah

I was at my local lan center today playing some MVC2 on the arcade cabinet for fun.

A mom walked in with her 7 year old son. She looked around, saw me and then told her son "let's go honey, I didn't know there will be terrorists here".

As someone who has worked in ERs across different countries and helped save the lives of people who suffered from real terrorist attacks.. I was legit offended by that comment.

Sad part is that the place I am at is one of the very arcade/gaming centers in an area (people from a long ways come here) and her mother denied her child some quality entertainment that is very hard to come by these days... all because of her own prejudices.

I guess I should be happy she didn't pull a gun on me or something. That's actually happened before but not due to the color of my skin.

If there wasn't a kid, I would've popped off. Fucking idiots these days.

I haven't dealt with anything like this yet but when I do and it's between grown people only, I ain't letting that shit slide.

I've seen all this isis shit get to some of my old friends from high school. All they do is repost shit about guns and all Muslims are terrorists etc on Facebook. I'm just sitting here like, nigga really? Were we not good friends in hs? Did you not realize then who are true Muslims and who aren't? I feel like those type of ppl just get lost and just ride on whatever hype train is happening atm.

NEO0MJ

You mean brown.

Your average American isn't going to ask you if you are Arabic to state you are a terrorist. Technically I am not even from the Middle East.

I know people who are Hispanic who have been called terrorist or sand n word. And they probably get more offended by it.

One of my friends who studied in the US said that sometimes people think he's from Mexico, a guy even came to him and started talking I'm Spanish right away but then stopped when my friend gave him this confused look.

WarRock

Dahbomb's story is just reminding me about some shit that is happening with immigrants from Senegal going on at the moment here.

Ugh, being born in Mixed Ethnicity: The Country and seeing institutionalized racism is the worst, and I don't even have to deal with it being white and all.

I wonder how Blackule did with Cloud last night.

IIRC, you are supposed to PM an admin and ask to be restored. If you have been behaving, they will consider the request. Maybe Shouta can give more detailed info.

Bae-yonetta confirmed.

oh happy day
Oh happy day indeed!

Sayad

Is it me or have system wars on Gaf been on the rise this past few days? Those Kojima threads... Not even KoFXIV's threads got away unscathed!

NEO0MJ

Is it me or have system wars on Gaf been on the rise this past few days? Those Kojima threads... Not even KoFXIV's threads got away unscathed!

They're always there, it just takes something major to trigger them. We had so many cross-platform games and dropped exclusives last gen that a lot might have forgotten how bad it could get.

Barely got to play any Cloud last night smh

Thoughts from the stress test;

Played Ryu only for the duration of the test and I'm still not sure what they're trying to do with him. Most of his links have been taken away, he has very limited juggles, I couldn't figure out a use for his st.HP crush counter if there is any. I Guess they want you to choose between cr.HK for the hard knockdown (best change) and st.HK.

Cr.HK hard knockdown on counter hit is definitely one of my favourite changes. Ryu (IMO) has a much shorter jump arc in this game so it can make cross ups/fake cross ups really ambiguous.

I saw this video about the normal priority system and tried to use knowledge of it to my advantage and the results were pretty good. By that I mean I got tons of counter hits from players trying to jab in between the st.MP's. I did get hit by a cr.HP from a Vega though.. I'm not sure if it was because I inputted the second st.MP too slow, or if his cr.HP just beats mine through the input priority.

Thanks to FACE for linking me to a frame data page. I noticed a lot of specials that seem safe are actually DP punishable on block. Example; Rolling Crystal Flash/Bison knee press isn't as safe as I thought it was either.

Unlearning bad habits. Few things that I need to stop doing; Thinking backdashes will get me out of trouble. I straight up lost a match because I tried to backdash on wakeup, I thought it'd at least hit me airborne and leave me in a juggle state to reset the situation but nope, ate that solar plexus and lost immediately lol. Another one was thinking that Ken had a kara throw, or thinking that any character (except for Vega apparently) has a decent throw range.

Matchups. Overall I did really well against Ryu/Ken players. I have to remember to incorporate Ryu's parry into my game
(I'll go more into that later)
. My.. should I say.. fundamentals
Which SFIV players don't have apparently
are enough to get me through Shoto matchups. The poor.. poor range on Ryu/Ken's cr.MK makes me sad. Cr.MK -> Fireball is mostly unsafe on block and you have to be closer than ever to get the cr.MK to touch with its ass range.

Against Vega players I was mostly free, definitely my hardest matchup. I had a good match against Graham Wolfe that went down to the last round but I ended up getting bodied lol. I really have to be aware that Vega can V-Trigger in the air to punish fireballs and he can CA to punish fireballs so when Vega has meter it's not.. that good of an idea to try to zone him out. The range on his ex command throw is a bit.. crazy in SFV standards IMO and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets nerfed tbh. I initially was getting bodied by RCF's until I learned that they're all (except EX) punishable on block (Thanks to FACE) which made the matchup a lot easier. He's a really tricky character to fight against and I should've spent my time learning him than playing Ryu lol.

Against Bison players I did alright. His walkspeed is garbage but that teleport dash.. Capcom pls. I went against a really good Bison player that used V-Reversals consistently (best use of it that I've seen tbh) and then would immediately go on the offensive which caught me off guard each time because.. Bison has a teleport dash, It's been really weird to adjust to. The character knocking me down while I'm on the offense with a V-Reversal, then teleporting into a low normal or into a throw or st.HK and fish for the CH. Really cool, but different. The good type of different I was hoping some characters would get (Ryu). Zoning Bison out also doesn't feel to effective. He's got the headstomp and his V-Skill which throws back a 2 hit fireball at you. I didn't end up taking the time to see what all his specials were on block except for knee press so I ended up letting a lot of Bison players get away with attacks that might've been unsafe. I got hit by a V-Trigger combo by him.. whew. I'm still not even sure what changes anymore but what I got from it is that Bison get's to go hamlet for a few seconds and has a crossup devils reverse that goes invisible before he starts to come down :/ and Ryu can't even get a damn juggle off a ex tatsu smh smh.

The connection for this stress test was pretty good. I had one absolutely terrible match out of like 50. I'm still iffy on the rollback netcode but hopefully they still improve on it as the game launches.

I read somewhere on here that they took out the changing sides on where you were last round.. I hope that stays. A few times I forgot which Ryu I was and walked into incoming traffic when I was trying to walk backwards :/.

I still don't understand the direction their going with Ryu. His Parry V-Skill is very underwhelming. Using it to parry jump-in attacks then getting jabbed out the recovery .. why. His fireball game outside of Denjin mode is very lackluster, especially with damn near half the cast having an answer for the fireball or using it to gain them meter. Cr.HK -> V-Trigger is my favourite change that he's received. If blocked, the cr.HK leaves so much blockstun that you can overhead go for an overhead afterwards or another cr.MK or charge a fireball. Out of like 15 attempts at CH cr.HK xx V-Trigger -> Unblockable fireball.. I didn't hit it once. I actually got command thrown by Vega for trying and from a pretty far range too :/.His cr.HK actually moves him forward which gives him additional range but LAWD if you swing with this button you bet not miss. His st.LK is gdlk though, easily is my favourite normal that he has.

Overall Ryu is still very boring. They keep taking away from him meanwhile Bison is outchea invisibly flying and teleport all over the screen and shit, Vega outchea pressing buttons -> stance changing then command throwing you for hesitating and Ryu can't even get a gotdamn juggle off an ex tatsu lmao

Also, Ken feels like a clunky mess.

tl;dr pls make Laura fun

Sayad

I still don't understand the direction their going with Ryu. His Parry V-Skill is very underwhelming. Using it to parry jump-in attacks then getting jabbed out the recovery .. why.
Can he parry meety stuff or does the parry have start up?

I wonder if Vega can V-Skill through cr mk xx hadouken.
Unless his V-Skill have been buffed since beta 2, I doubt it. Thing have awful start up before the upper body inv, even dodging full screen fireballs require some getting used to.

They're always there, it just takes something major to trigger them. We had so many cross-platform games and dropped exclusives last gen that a lot might have forgotten how bad it could get.

It's just a sign that the generation is still young. The PS3 vs Xbox360 got pretty heated the last time early on, but it eventually died down as microsoft became the clear winner and playstation eventually recovered.

I imagine all of this has to do with the situation flipping where Sony has the early lead but isn't a clear winner yet.

Why is my girl Asuka so busty now?

I'm so sorry you experienced this. Let's hope she doesn't come back.

mbpm1

Ryu's parry has like one frame of startup I think.

Boring ass character

The power of nothingness. I will win with my own strength.

He's got the power of nothingness alright, cos he's got nothing interesting.

At least in Ultra he had damage and good fireballs and decently linking normals.

Warxard

Banned

Stay up, man.

Kumubou

I can imagine all the stupid OSes that would be discovered.
Was the suggestion for special cancels on hit or completely empty? The former would probably be fine -- Melty Blood does that with its parries in Full moon and there's nothing broken about it there (but that game also gets rather nutty compared to SF). I could see some silly OSs if you could do specials on whiffed parries -- it would come down to how the game handled input during the parry startup and hit freeze (if any).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom