• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

Yo damn, that was fast. I wanna build a Desktop on a budget of $2000 bucks that can run open world games on ultra. Is it possible on this budget? I'm trying to learn circuitry and assembly so I'm starting slow on learning the insides of a processor and all that jazz.
you can make a pc to run open world games on ultra for less than half of that lol. if you want a super boss over the top pc that's easy enough to do.

DunpealD

Nope!

lol :p

Next idea for testing. Instead of going into cr.mp, try st.HK again to check the duration of the parry. Also if you are interested you can keep trying the earlier test to see if there is any gap like Juicebox mentioned.

Does it?

All we really have to ask is, what is the startup on parry?

If it's active on its first frame, you can parry between any frame trap regardless of strength (as well as parry on wakeup).

If it's active on its 2nd frame or a later frame, that determines how big of a hole is needed for him to successfully parry. That is, if there's only a 1 frame hole in a frame trap, Ryu would get counterhit if he parries on that frame (If active on its 3rd frame, a 2 frame hole is needed, and so on). Do we know how many frames there are between Dictator's HK and crouch MP? Are we certain the tester was frame perfect?

In the Beta 2 build according tool assisted st.HK was +3 on block and cr.mp was 5 startup. Parrying between them did not work. Same as Karins cr.mp into st.mp.

I have tested this thoroughly in he Laura beta build. The Karin one is a lock. The question is if both tests are successful and legit, it either means that the parry got buffed or the frame advantage got overall reduced to make the parry possible.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
you can make a pc to run open world games on ultra for less than half of that lol. if you want a super boss pc that's easy enough to do.

Well I was including monitor into that. I'm not too well versed in gadgetry talk so I'm learning the basics. I want the best that I can get for like $1000, basically SFV, Counter Strike and etc. (probably the next elder scrolls game).

notworksafe

Well I was including monitor into that. I'm not too well versed in gadgetry talk so I'm learning the basics. I want the best that I can get for like $1000, basically SFV, Counter Strike and etc. (probably the next elder scrolls game).

Well this is my PC (pretty much, I have two of the 1TB drives) and it'll run everything you need and more http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6yX7t6

Add in $200-600 for a monitor depending on what features you want, kb/m, and a headset or something and you're good for many years to come.

edit: if nothing else go with the case i listed. it's cheap, very good at cooling cause it comes with a bunch of fans, and damn near silent.

Kumubou

$2,000 would result in an absolutely baller setup with a g-sync monitor and a videocard(s?) and CPU combo that would almost certainly be overkill.

$1,000 can still get you a really good setup, but the worse part is that you would probably lose the g-sync monitor (although you would still get a really nice one, just not with variable refresh rate). Frankly, you could put together a PC that will run all of that more than well enough (just maybe not at 4k x 120fps) for $600 or so.

Hell, even the mini PCs are getting pretty powerful now. I bought an Intel NUC a while back to replace my dying HTPC and I've gotten plenty of games to run at roughly the same graphical level as a Xbox 360. Yeah, that's old tech, but this thing is about the size of a cigar box.

Personally, I'm waiting until the 16nm GPU cards start shipping this year... I've been running a i5-2500K for about five years now and I've had zero reason to swap it out. The GPU is a bit on the weak side, but I don't want to lay out the money for a GTX 970 right now... that and frankly, if you're willing to adjust settings downward a bit, you can get a ton of mileage out of even middling hardware.

mbpm1

Almost every SF4 character had this quality in different amounts. I am thoroughly enjoying how unsafe everything is in SFV, it really makes you take a microscope to your game.

SF4 be like light light medium into fireball 90% of the time and you just gotta hold that

source: I do it

Dahbomb

GAF is probably even less than 1% of gaming.

And less than 1% of GAF even cares about fighting games.

So if you can do cr.MK Fireball you are better than 0.01% of the gaming population at fighting games.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Well this is my PC (pretty much, I have two of the 1TB drives) and it'll run everything you need and more http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6yX7t6

Add in $200-600 for a monitor depending on what features you want, kb/m, and a headset or something and you're good for many years to come.

edit: if nothing else go with the case i listed. it's cheap, very good at cooling cause it comes with a bunch of fans, and damn near silent.

I'll definitely keep this on my list, I'm researching bit by bit for when I have the money, I can go ahead and buy it.

$2,000 would result in an absolutely baller setup with a g-sync monitor and a videocard(s?) and CPU combo that would almost certainly be overkill.

$1,000 can still get you a really good setup, but the worse part is that you would probably lose the g-sync monitor (although you would still get a really nice one, just not with variable refresh rate). Frankly, you could put together a PC that will run all of that more than well enough (just maybe not at 4k x 120fps) for $600 or so.

Hell, even the mini PCs are getting pretty powerful now. I bought an Intel NUC a while back to replace my dying HTPC and I've gotten plenty of games to run at roughly the same graphical level as a Xbox 360. Yeah, that's old tech, but this thing is about the size of a cigar box.

Personally, I'm waiting until the 16nm GPU cards start shipping this year... I've been running a i5-2500K for about five years now and I've had zero reason to swap it out. The GPU is a bit on the weak side, but I don't want to lay out the money for a GTX 970 right now... that and frankly, if you're willing to adjust settings downward a bit, you can get a ton of mileage out of even middling hardware.

The dream is to run games on 4K, if the option is even available lol. Realistically, within 2-3 years, it shouldn't be that hard for me if everything works out alright.

Edit:

Since I program for a living, it would be nice to finally have 3-4 monitors so I can multi-task and run git on one, command line/eclipse/visual on the other, fighting games on the third and ??? on the last one.

The DP thread is insane to me. I never thought it was a big deal doing or learning the DP motion. I was an only child and got SF2CE for Genesis and still figured out how to do a dp motion on a pad without assistance. It was never that hard. I'm shocked so many people had issues with it.

mbpm1

The DP thread is insane to me. I never thought it was a big deal doing or learning the DP motion. I was an only child and got SF2CE for Genesis and still figured out how to do a dp motion on a pad without assistance. It was never that hard. I'm shocked so many people had issues with it.

Fighting games and their pretzal motions!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

You would be surprised, people's muscles aren't wired for intricate movements like that on a day to day basis. I can guarantee it took you a while to learn the motion since its an alien concept to everyone just starting out. The reason why everyone can write is because its drilled into us from the start of elementary school. That, plus they don't really care whatsoever about fighting games. We can do all the complicated movements since we've been doing it from a younger age, compared to folks that don't even know what qcdb or happy new year means.
Kappa on the last one for non-marvel folks

Supreme edgelord.

Its what people are used to or what they learned. Sirlin was talking about the execution trouble he was having with Smash and their back throw and what not.

Games are widening where future generation won't have a base game they all played. Everyone will be playing Minecraft instead.

Edit: Listening to UltraChen and realizing what they are saying about Sim; he is bad in USF4 relative to many of the rest of the cast. Am I a Q player?

Kumubou

Most people aren't used to playing videogames that demand the speed and timing that a fighting game does. Frankly, I think the timing requirement throws people off even more than the speed, especially given the variance in display lag that you have to deal with. Pretty much nothing outside of fighting games, assholish precision platformers (like I Wanna Be The Boshy) and niche music-rhythm games (ie: not Rock Band or Guitar Hero) even attempt to demand that kind of precision with regards to a player's timing.

That and that sort of input is rarely seen outside of the genre, so someone with no experience with it is going to look at it cross-eyed until they "get" it.

Or you could lock them in a room with a copy of Fate/Unlimited Codes and not let them out until they can do Lancer BnBs. They'll learn how to do DP motions real quick (or die trying).

You can get a nice monitor for under $200, variable refresh rate is like a $500 markup if you are looking for a good one. Well that or a 4K monitor, or say something like http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-31MU97-B-4k-ips-led-monitor

The dream is to run games on 4K, if the option is even available lol.
4K is not viable for all games. You need to be looking at specific titles if you want to run 4K, and depending on what those are you can do that with hardware that's 3 or 4 years old right now.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
4K is not viable for all games. You need to be looking at specific titles if you want to run 4K, and depending on what those are you can do that with hardware that's 3 or 4 years old right now.

I always confused you for Kimo back in the day when he was still here (rip). Its crazy that its worth that much but it looks so beautiful.

Nightii

Banned
Equips, yeah. There's no baseline for stats on them, and are fully randomized in terms of numbers in their groupings.
What did he say once you told him moves were ok but equips are a big nono? and...how does he think equipment will be enough?

I can't say it's weird, people do make weird assumptions when it comes to fighting games, but still lol.

Line_HTX

Before taking fighting games seriously and before I put time into them starting with Tekken, I always hated that motion because I felt the pic was too vague. I'm glad that Tekken showed me how to do a DP so that I could do it consistently well in other games.

It was that star on the in game command list that did the trick, LOL

Producer

You dont need to do such inputs for cinematic shooters

Dahbomb

Before taking fighting games seriously and before I put time into them starting with Tekken, I always hated that motion because I felt the pic was too vague. I'm glad that Tekken showed me how to do a DP so that I could do it consistently well in other games.

It was that star on the in game command list that did the trick, LOL
Same here.

I could always do DP but the Tekken notation spelled out every action accurately rather than show a Z sign. Mostly because I didn't play on stick and trying to slide a Z on a d pad like that isn't always the most effective.

Tripon

Who's making the SFV 3rd beta thread?

CWcbWRSU8AAiNNQ.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom