• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perro

Would love to see them distance themselves even more from MK, in both gameplay and art-style. Wouldn't mind an airdasher with teams and assists, whatever make superheroes abilities shine more.
Give me a 2 vs 2 with timmverse art-style.

literally hiring the dude who got famous for rising up at evo

smh capcom and their subtle marketing strat

4TspXSr.gif

Sayad

Discovering the errors of their ways. Set play are clumsy and the weapons of cowards and I feel disgusted by anyone who plays Millia.
Lol, we should play again, I'll only use I-No. :)
My I-No is probably better than my Millia now. ;p

Speaking of which, our Bahraini Bedman got 4th place at KoFGCC, you should watch top 8 if you missed it, excellence showing for Bedman.

NEO0MJ

What kind of scrub talk is this?

The realest talk. What's wrong with not wanting gimmick fighters?

Just kidding, lol. Well, mostly. It's still a pain fighting characters who can trap you, especially if your character is large/slow with no reliable way of getting people off you.

Lol, we should play again, I'll only use I-No. :)
My I-No is probably better than my Millia now. ;p

I'm so out of practice now, though ;__;

And I heard of him a lot. Should watch the matches.

Crocodile

Edit: what I'm, talking about is "limited animation", sorry.

Ok, I understand what you mean when you say Limited Animation. It's something that is the bedrock of the Japanese Animation Industry (thanks Tezuka :/) but its not something you often see in the West. All of Lab Zero's in-house animators and most of the contractors they work are Western-trained so I don't consider this surprising at all. I think we may have to agree to disagree on this point though - I think the Darkstalkers cast would be a set of characters that would look especially awesome with more expressive/fuller animation. It's not like they really had a choice nearly 20+ years ago and I think the distortive and monstrous nature of much of the cast compares favorably to how many of the Skullgirls cast animates (Eliza, Squigly, Peacock, etc.)

Hi guys, been busy getting legally alive(having a real job helps a lot)... just wanted to wish all of you merry xmas and a happy new year! And of course, a big hug to all of you.

*reads last couple of pages*

...well, see you around heh? kthxbye

good to see that your alive

Sayad

Ok, I understand what you mean when you say Limited Animation. It's something that is the bedrock of the Japanese Animation Industry (thanks Tezuka :/) but its not something you often see in the West. All of Lab Zero's in-house animators and most of the contractors they work are Western-trained so I don't consider this surprising at all.
Pretty much almost everyone outside big budget 2D animation movies(do they still make those?) uses limited animation now, Japanese or western, even if they use very different styles. The same way traditional animation can be used with anime style animation too, things like Akira or Asuka's final stand in End of Eva had some of the best traditional animations out there. It just cost way too much that we're seeing less and less of it in both anime and western cartoons now.

Pretty much almost everyone outside big budget 2D animation movies(do they still make those?) uses limited animation now, Japanese or western, even if they use very different styles.
Are western cartoons animated on 3s these days too? What an age we live in.

Beats

Pretty much almost everyone outside big budget 2D animation movies(do they still make those?)

I think the last big budget 2d movie was The Princess and the Frog in 2009. It cost around 100 million USD iirc. There was that Pooh movie a couple of years ago too, but the budget was way lower.

Was that a kof ripoff or something?

Yea it was. I did find it fun though, it was a mechanically sound game, though my big gripe were the normal throws were rather weak since they were 2 button throws, short ranged, whiff animation, low damage, and get beat out by stuff easily. I stopped playing when Benimaru and Terry were in the game though.

shaowebb

They look fine to me. Fine enough to be nominated for the 2012 Annie awards which is one of the highest honors an animator can get for this type of stuff.
EDIT: I would throw cash at Lab Zero on principle alone if they were to do a new Darkstalkers. Like not even for the game. Just as a tip and thank you. They'd be perfect. Just look at Rikuo vs Victor and tell me that all that morphing doesn't scream Lab Zero.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
My grandfather was thirstier than me. I'm one of 45 grandchildren :E

It's genetic. I blame him. :E

I think I'm around that same number too. My grandfather had 11 kids, while also having relations with other women to have step siblings. At my mom's graduation, dude was decked out in a pimp suit and cane, I kid you not. The man was made for pimping.

Marz

They look fine to me. Fine enough to be nominated for the 2012 Annie awards which is one of the highest honors an animator can get for this type of stuff.
EDIT: I would throw cash at Lab Zero on principle alone if they were to do a new Darkstalkers. Like not even for the game. Just as a tip and thank you. They'd be perfect. Just look at Rikuo vs Victor and tell me that all that morphing doesn't scream Lab Zero.

It screams 90s era Capcom. Everything else is just cheap imitation.

ShinMaruku

I think I'm around that same number too. My grandfather had 11 kids, while also having relations with other women to have step siblings. At my mom's graduation, dude was decked out in a pimp suit and cane, I kid you not. The man was made for pimping.

My grandfather had 23ish kids with 13 from my grandmother >_> He would have had 30 but child birth was rough in the 1900s

I think this is West Indian thing Yams because I got family in DR and Cuba too. My grandfather hit up all them islands and never taught us Spanish RIP
Thank good because Cuban spanish is fucked up

Marz

My grandfather had 23ish kids with 13 from my grandmother >_> He would have had 30 but child birth was rough in the 1900s

I think this is West Indian thing Yams because I got family in DR and Cuba too. My grandfather hit up all them islands and never taught us Spanish RIP

Im lucky i made it out of the 1900s tbh

Crocodile

Pretty much almost everyone outside big budget 2D animation movies(do they still make those?) uses limited animation now, Japanese or western, even if they use very different styles. The same way traditional animation can be used with anime style animation too, things like Akira or Asuka's final stand in End of Eva had some of the best traditional animations out there. It just cost way too much that we're seeing less and less of it in both anime and western cartoons now.

Actually sitting down and thinking for a bit, yeah you're right a lot of Western TV toons are using more limited animation nowadays than they have in the past. That being said, as long as you don't need to launch with 50+ characters (i.e. like Marvel or KOF) or add more than 4ish characters a year I don't think this is really an issue for a modern fighting game. Lab Zero makes games on budgets much smaller than a lot of the 3D games. One could argue they should probably be paid more but either way, as long as you don't need infinite characters fast, I don't think this is financially prohibitive. Darkstalkers has what like 20 real characters across all its versions? Launch with 12-15 characters and add 12-15 more over the course of say 3-4 years seems feasible to me given prior precedents. I think Darkstalker's relatively small cast (even including any new characters) makes this seem more viable than it would be for other IPs.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Is anyone down for USF4 PC tonight?

I gotta do one of those genetic lineages test and see what I am. I'm honestly confused with both of my parents sides of the family lol

ShinMaruku

Is anyone down for USF4 PC tonight?

I gotta do one of those genetic lineages test and see what I am. I'm honestly confused with both of my parents sides of the family lol

I need to do that test because my family has goddamn Jamaican,Cuban,Chinese and English and Dutch or something else.

Actually sitting down and thinking for a bit, yeah you're right a lot of Western TV toons are using more limited animation nowadays than they have in the past. That being said, as long as you don't need to launch with 50+ characters (i.e. like Marvel or KOF) or add more than 4ish characters a year I don't think this is really an issue for a modern fighting game. Lab Zero makes games on budgets much smaller than a lot of the 3D games. One could argue they should probably be paid more but either way, as long as you don't need infinite characters fast, I don't think this is financially prohibitive. Darkstalkers has what like 20 real characters across all its versions? Launch with 12-15 characters and add 12-15 more over the course of say 3-4 years seems feasible to me given prior precedents. I think Darkstalker's relatively small cast (even including any new characters) makes this seem more viable than it would be for other IPs.

It is possible but try convincing the head of a Japanese company that out sourcing 2D HD sprite work is more financially viable than 3D work. Remember you can't sell alternate costume packs at $25 a pop with sprites either, just alternate color schemes. No matter how you slice it 3D work gets you more bang for your buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom