• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Count, its really not that hard. Find a hard drive and put the windows OS in it, i think you gotta partition it or some jazz like that, then follow the instructions to run it on Mac.

Alright I set up fightcade, anyone want to play my scrub ass in Third Strike? Same name as username.

i got you tomorrow homie.

Tripon

Odd decision. There's little consensus on who are the best 32 players are in Smash 4. Who gets a seed vs. who doesn't. You're basically protecting each of the 32 players from a pool.

Melee is going with 64 players, and its less than an issue because orgs like Melee it on Me has spent years ranking their community.

I don't know why this was decided to be announced weeks before the tournament if this was the decision for the tournament from the get go. Don't care for it.

I don't think a FGC tournament would try to do this without prelim tournaments that would give out seeding points, which isn't happening here. There is no tournament feeding into Genesis 3.

:<. Ggs, you seemed to be getting the hang of Akuma. I only know how to play Urien apparently (badly).
BTW, that previous post was referring to the time I did a Shin Shoryu, you blocked it, and then I did another Shin Shoryu on landing because you missed the punish. lol

Yeah, if I ever took SFIV seriously, I would probably be an Akuma main. He's complicated, though. I tried maining him at the start of SFIV, but I got tired of playing so well for most of a match and then getting creamed. Looks like that's doubly a problem in 3S with how easily he stuns.

I like your Urien and your willingness to go for the crazy stuff. How do you do EX moves anyway? I kept trying to do stuff like qcf.PP, but it did a normal fireball.

Yeah, we'll do Alpha 3 next time.

BTW, that previous post was referring to the time I did a Shin Shoryu, you blocked it, and then I did another Shin Shoryu on landing because you missed the punish. lol

Yeah, if I ever took SFIV seriously, I would probably be an Akuma main. He's complicated, though. I tried maining him at the start of SFIV, but I got tired of playing so well for most of a match and then getting creamed. Looks like that's doubly a problem in 3S with how easily he stuns.

I like your Urien and your willingness to go for the crazy stuff. How do you do EX moves anyway? I kept trying to do stuff like qcf.PP, but it did a normal fireball.

Akuma doesn't have ex moves. I think he was too OP in 2nd Impact so they removed them in Third Strike, but same way you do them in SF4 (for everyone but Akuma).

petghost

Banned

Can't believe you didn't pick necro or oro.

Blanka is indeed for assholes
OKfaI3J.gif

:(

Can't believe you didn't pick necro or oro.
I went random for a while, but I went to Akuma as my pick because I figured his buttons are mostly the same between games. I wasn't in the mood to try and fight while also learning what a character does, especially without a movelist. :p

Why do you think I would like Oro? I couldn't find anything I liked with him in the 1 match I played, so I moved on.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

I honestly have mixed feelings on the matter. This should have been announced way in advance so people would be prepared for this, not a couple weeks beforehand. Second, sure a good spot in pools is granted, but this level of top player privilege is kind of offsetting. Throughout years in the FGC, every player who has gotten to be named the best had to fight for it throughout pools in multiple tournaments, which gives them the title of being a top player because they have a consistency with their performances. They have been able to get out of pools multiple times facing unknown opponents, testing their skills and ability to adapt in a live environment with the opponent having all the information on them but none on the unknown player. If this aspect is removed, it takes away the underdog element of it and allows the top player to just do well a couple times in tournaments of their choosing. They can choose which tournaments to go to depending on which players go, letting them deal their cards in a more cautious manner. This is an easily exploitable strategy and can bring fame to players who are otherwise not deserving of the title of being a top player. Capcom Cup did it very well, 32 spots were fought for and each player deserved that spot since they fought for it, not because they were recognized as a top player.

Morris

Disco Devil
I tried Fightcade a year ago, couldn't get it running without bootcamp so I said fuck that shit.

I finally got it running :::::::))))))))

Emulation still feels odd on mac but whatever. Anyone wanna play 3s or any poverty game?

NEO0MJ

I honestly have mixed feelings on the matter. This should have been announced way in advance so people would be prepared for this, not a couple weeks beforehand. Second, sure a good spot in pools is granted, but this level of top player privilege is kind of offsetting. Throughout years in the FGC, every player who has gotten to be named the best had to fight for it throughout pools in multiple tournaments, which gives them the title of being a top player because they have a consistency with their performances. They have been able to get out of pools multiple times facing unknown opponents, testing their skills and ability to adapt in a live environment with the opponent having all the information on them but none on the unknown player. If this aspect is removed, it takes away the underdog element of it and allows the top player to just do well a couple times in tournaments of their choosing. They can choose which tournaments to go to depending on which players go, letting them deal their cards in a more cautious matter. This is an easily exploitable strategy and can bring fame to players who are otherwise not deserving of the title of being a top player. Capcom Cup did it very well, 32 spots were fought for and each player deserved that spot since they fought for it, not because they were recognized as a top player.

Yep. I mean last few EVOs we saw a lot of upsets where people who were thought to be untouchable not making it out of pools.

Tizoc

I daresay I'm proud to have not missed a single week this year, with my posts being either delayed 1 day at worse.

Here's to a great FG year in 2016, even though MAHVEL 3 leaves us, Melty Blood will finally reclaim the throne as THE king of anime fighting games~

3 Hours of BlazBlue CF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYUfEbHnJwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F7t9020WUY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STSl-inpEcY

Street Fighter III 3S matches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV2beAUfeF8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWG8wXfrwAc

4 Hours of Melty Blood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSlDRW8RWxU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgDtvPZJNgE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNrPzjtKnYE

2+ Hours of Under Night InBirth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-EuEK6mz8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL7LmOcloM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqVlfv6PtGM

2 Hours of Sengoku Hime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60EpDjaJp2I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgZ2TNYnotg

BlizzKrut

Banned
Well Injustice certainly is a good game for those mashers, loving Bane though, even though it's a bit hard to win against Deahtstroke, gonna keep playing.

From a PM:

Karsticles said:
Hey Juicebox,

I just got around to watching your video on footsies, and I was confused on a point. Your description says footsies = the neutral, but you also said that jumping in isn't part of footsies. Yet it's clearly part of the neutral, especially if you are facing a fireball user. On top of that, you refer to a Hadoken within the context of a whiff punish, which means you must define fireballs as part of the footsies game, but jumping, one of the best anti-fireball tools, isn't.

Can you clear up how you think of all this? In my mind, jumping has always been part of footsies, and I don't know how it fits in otherwise.

Feel free to quote me in the FGW thread if you want to respond there. I just didn't want my question to get overlooked.

Jumping is a part of the neutral game. It can offer high rewards on hit and an advantageous situation on block in most games.

The purpose of the video is to illuminate key concepts of the ground game that occur when two players are both actively avoiding jumping. This is the specific kind of neutral game that many players have trouble utilizing especially if they are always trying to play in a safe way due to the online environment. In this context, fireballs are less about forcing someone to think about jumping and more about being a "poke" at a range where you don't have any normals that reach that far.

Of course, any player can choose to jump at any time, and a good player should be able to respond with the appropriate anti-air. But if you are always spacing yourself for a possible reaction anti-air, then you are often at a spacing that offers very little ability to go for whiff punishment and/or aggressive poking. Choosing to focus on particular aspects of the footsie game (ie anticipating a specific normal for a whiff punish or predicting that the opponent will allow you to walk forward a few steps) necessarily means having confidence that the opponent will -not- jump, thereby allowing you to narrow down the opponent's reactions to your actions to ground-based moves.

Infinite

So a new local gaming spot opened up in NYC yesterday. The store is called Xenozero inc it's located in lower Manhattan and they do TCG and street fighter on ps4. I figure this will end up being the go to spot for street fighter 5 after Next Level closes its doors. Here's the Facebook page if any NYC-fgcgaf wants to check them out https://www.facebook.com/xenozerogaming/

From a PM:

Jumping is a part of the neutral game. It can offer high rewards on hit and an advantageous situation on block in most games.

The purpose of the video is to illuminate key concepts of the ground game that occur when two players are both actively avoiding jumping. This is the specific kind of neutral game that many players have trouble utilizing especially if they are always trying to play in a safe way due to the online environment. In this context, fireballs are less about forcing someone to think about jumping and more about being a "poke" at a range where you don't have any normals that reach that far.

Of course, any player can choose to jump at any time, and a good player should be able to respond with the appropriate anti-air. But if you are always spacing yourself for a possible reaction anti-air, then you are often at a spacing that offers very little ability to go for whiff punishment and/or aggressive poking. Choosing to focus on particular aspects of the footsie game (ie anticipating a specific normal for a whiff punish or predicting that the opponent will allow you to walk forward a few steps) necessarily means having confidence that the opponent will -not- jump, thereby allowing you to narrow down the opponent's reactions to your actions to ground-based moves.
This is good, but didn't really answer my question. What I am wondering about is your usage of the word footsies, and whether jumping is part of footsies in your mind. If not, why not?

it takes away the underdog element

hell yeah

...nah in retrospect I like watching maulings too much

But seriously the whole "look how other sports/competitions do it" thing needs to fuck off. That's what annoys me the most.

Then again it's Smash, doing jumping jacks to get e-sports senpai to notice is their thing.

This is good, but didn't really answer my question. What I am wondering about is your usage of the word footsies, and whether jumping is part of footsies in your mind. If not, why not?

For me the word "footsies" means ground-based strategies involving normals/specials in poke range VS ground-based strategies involving normals/specials in poke range. I do not define jumping as a part of "footsies", but it is part of the entire neutral game.

If I included jumping as part of footsies, then I would say that a Ryu player staying at half-screen and simply throwing fireballs and anti-airing has great footsies. In truth, I would say that he has a good neutral game, but is specifically avoiding footsies (that is, avoiding the possibility of being poked or counterpoked by normals in most matchups by staying out of the range of the majority of them).

Zissou

Maybe the answer is 'jumping can offer high rewards if you get away with it, but vast majority of the time against any top level player (in SF at least) you will rarely get away with it and most of your game must be conducted on the ground." I feel like jumping is something you do to call out very specific moves on a read or to scare people off of them, i.e., against fireballs or other very high commitment pokes.

CurlyW

A few things on the Genesis 3 stuff:

1) I can confirm that the plan to pre-advance the Top 64 Melee seeds and Top 32 Wii U seeds into quarterfinal pools was decided on well in advance of today. I was surprised to learn that it wasn't public yet. (Yes I am doing the brackets for them too.)

2) Upsets in early round pools are extremely rare in Melee (and to a lesser extent Wii U), because the skill gap is much larger than it is for any modern FGC game. They still occasionally happen, like Ginger (#5 on the Michigan Melee rankings) sending Drugged Fox (Top 20 Melee player in world) to losers in Phase 1 pools at TBH5, and when they do happen it's near-historic.

3) From my vantage point, the FGC seems more upset by this than the Smash community is, and the Wii U community is more upset by it than the Melee community (Genesis 3 being a Melee event primarily). FGC's complaints are top player privilege and that seeding is subjective and rather arbitrary, Smash community's complaints (as Tripon said) are more that there isn't a well-defined Top 32 for Wii U yet, and it robs average attendees of a chance to get four-stocked by a top player on day 1.

4) This is unlikely to be a new trend for Smash tournaments, and it will never and shouldn't be tried at any FGC tournaments.

5) I don't think it's about trying to appeal to esports in anyway (though it is certainly an esports-type system). It's just kind of in-line with how the Smash community thinks about rankings and seeding and the huge amount of emphasis placed on it. I would say that the Smash community has a tendency to place too much value in rankings and very often will over-seed their tournaments, and this is just a symptom of that.

Dahbomb

One of the major appeals of the FGC is that you can go to a tournament and play against a top player as your first match in pools.

Even if you don't win you can have memorable personal moments like "oh man I took one round off Tokido!" or "OMG I hit FChamp with that crazy gimmick!"

CurlyW

One of the major appeals of the FGC is that you can go to a tournament and play against a top player as your first match in pools.

Even if you don't win you can have memorable personal moments like "oh man I took one round off Tokido!" or "OMG I hit FChamp with that crazy gimmick!"

This is (normally) one of the major appeals of Smash tournaments as well.

Karsticles, kirblar, ragingnight, whoever has beef with the Tekken folks, you need to get past the pettiness, apologize, and make amends. The Tekken people have completely shunned us and when I didn't initially add Tekken Tag 2 to my newbie thread they thought I was throwing shade. Fix this shit now and end whatever beef you have. Right now as a community we should be beyond pettiness and should be focusing on growth. Go into their thread and extend an olive branch for the love of God.

Next episode of Back in the Saddle featuring the SFV beta :)

Feel like I'm really learning this game and I can see my skills here are being transferred to Tekken.

@Cindi,

Its really not that serious. People are just more concerned with other games than Tekken. No need for anyone to apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom