• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me the word "footsies" means ground-based strategies involving normals/specials in poke range VS ground-based strategies involving normals/specials in poke range. I do not define jumping as a part of "footsies", but it is part of the entire neutral game.

If I included jumping as part of footsies, then I would say that a Ryu player staying at half-screen and simply throwing fireballs and anti-airing has great footsies. In truth, I would say that he has a good neutral game, but is specifically avoiding footsies (that is, avoiding the possibility of being poked or counterpoked by normals in most matchups by staying out of the range of the majority of them).
Would you agree that this is different for a game like Smash, where aerial trajectory can be changed on the spot in a very ground-like manner, leading to attacks, counterattacks, and place attacks in the air?

What about a game like Marvel, where some characters are entirely aerial in their neutral? How would you apply the term there?

I think it is weird that the term footsies might apply only on the ground in some games, but not others. I am guessing you will agree that Smash has aerial footsies. But if that is the case, then why isn't Street Fighter jumping part of footsies?

I'm having trouble thinking of the term in a consistent manner across games, and I am hoping this conversation will help me solidify some concepts that are currently more fluid than I would like them to be.

Maybe the answer is 'jumping can offer high rewards if you get away with it, but vast majority of the time against any top level player (in SF at least) you will rarely get away with it and most of your game must be conducted on the ground." I feel like jumping is something you do to call out very specific moves on a read or to scare people off of them, i.e., against fireballs or other very high commitment pokes.
It's purely a semantic question, lol.

Karsticles, kirblar, ragingnight, whoever has beef with the Tekken folks, you need to get past the pettiness, apologize, and make amends. The Tekken people have completely shunned us and when I didn't initially add Tekken Tag 2 to my newbie thread they thought I was throwing shade. Fix this shit now and end whatever beef you have. Right now as a community we should be beyond pettiness and should be focusing on growth. Go into their thread and extend an olive branch for the love of God.
Huh? I don't have any problems.

pixelish

hey kadey, i think aris read your post about viewers potentially getting bored of him because of dark souls. he has been playing other games for the past couple of days now.

Dahbomb

Karsticles, kirblar, ragingnight, whoever has beef with the Tekken folks, you need to get past the pettiness, apologize, and make amends. The Tekken people have completely shunned us and when I didn't initially add Tekken Tag 2 to my newbie thread they thought I was throwing shade. Fix this shit now and end whatever beef you have. Right now as a community we should be beyond pettiness and should be focusing on growth. Go into their thread and extend an olive branch for the love of God.
None of these people have beef with Tekken folks. In fact I don't think anyone has beef with Tekken folks, they may not like the games but that's fine.

I didn't realize there was drama in that FG newbie thread.

notworksafe

Yeah, I've been posting about FG here for years and never saw any of these "problems"

edit:

Was mostly just Karst, kirblar, ragingnight and a couple others that just barked after them. More of a vocal minority. But you're right it did die down. Maybe with the major fighting games all branching out into their own dedicated tournaments like CapcomCup, KOTIF, ArcSysCup, etc. I guess people care less now?

What did you boys do?

None of these people have beef with Tekken folks. In fact I don't think anyone has beef with Tekken folks, they may not like the games but that's fine.

I didn't realize there was drama in that FG newbie thread.

There wasn't any drama some of us voiced displeasure at our game(like others) wasn't in the thread originally. That's been fixed so idk why Cinidi is trying to right wrongs beyond adding the game lol.

Sayad

That's funny coming from AAK since I'm pretty sure I've seen more Tekken 7 hate coming from him than any other member on gaf!

K.Sabot

Wow just read that smash drama....

fuck Genesis, open bracket is the best. The pros can protect themselves.

Open, mostly equal brackets (regional seeding still an issue), is the best thing the FGC has going for it. You'd need a College Football committee level of calculation to get seeding correctly, and even then you still get a lot of controversial decisions and accusations of bias (fuck the SEC).

Regional bias is almost guaranteed to infect the seeding decisions of smaller TOs and if shit like that ever happened in a FGC tournament, I'd not only not support them, I'd actively campaign against them.

Tripon

what about it? Its nowhere near out lol.

They had it last year? Even as an exhibition thing.

Edit:

More Smash drama, this time of the potty kind.

oxa2eCC.jpg

kirblar

....what? lolololol

I just have very strong opinions on the Tag system used in TTT/SFxT

Devid905

Update on Genesis' floating brackets controversy: http://shoryuken.com/2015/12/28/gen...-smashers-through-first-round-of-competition/
Speaking with Shoryuken, Zalewski explained the decision as a necessity due to scheduling constraints. “We have planned for Friday the TMG finals, Wii U Regional Crew Battles, Melee Crew Battles, and potentially a Brawl Tournament of Legends. These in total take up the entire day for each game (especially the crew battle brackets, which will be ~8 hours out of a 12 hour schedule),” he detailed through email. “We also wanted to allow for top players to have a 1-2 hour friendlies and ‘meet-and-greet’ session during Friday.”

Zalewski also reiterated that he brought the idea to a number of notable Super Smash Bros. for Wii U players and tournament organizers, and received no negative feedback. “I think any reasonable person in my position, seeing no complaints from 60+ respected people in the community for 2.5 weeks, cannot be blamed for making the same decision,” he continued. “I’m also not going to apologize for perhaps different values about the nature of tournaments/competition from others, which I’m willing to defend if necessary.”

At the end of the day, much of this conflict appears to be caused by the increasing bonuses of Genesis 3’s crowdfunding efforts, which expand the event past the boundaries of a mere tournament. While allowing a select few competitors to bypass the first round of competition seems like a small thing on the surface, the repercussions of elevating players to the level of pseudo-celebrity may be felt throughout the entire bracket.

notworksafe

Zalewski also reiterated that he brought the idea to a number of notable Super Smash Bros. for Wii U players and tournament organizers, and received no negative feedback.
No shit, moron.

"Hey I want to have you and other top players skip your first round matches"
"Sure!"

mbpm1

If top players are having that kind of an advantage, why not just make it invitational aka Capcom Cup 2014? Seems pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom