• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurlyW

"We came up with a way to make all your tournaments run faster with zero effort on your end"
"Okay!"

I'm being pedantic, but it doesn't run faster, you still have the same number of matches to play total.

The change is that it frees up the scheduling on Friday to allow for special events and exhibitions that will receive far more viewership and interest than random early pool matches will. Genesis 3 has a Melee draft crews battle, a Wii U regional crews battle, and The Melee Games finals all scheduled to happen on the main streams on Friday.

(That said, for The Big House 5, we were able to make the Melee Regional crew battle happen on the Friday without any schedule conflicts and without advancing top players automatically into Day 2.)

Bottom line on this issue is that it's a decision made for the benefit of stream viewers to the detriment of ordinary tournament entrants.

Dahbomb

it's frustrating to see aris disliking any game that involves reading
That's me lol. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten stuck because I didn't read some text on some item. Before the Souls games I was of the TLDR type gamer but after those games I read everything lol.

ShinMaruku

fgc is illiterate dude
10407.jpg

notworksafe

Bottom line on this issue is that it's a decision made for the benefit of stream viewers to the detriment of ordinary attendees.
And there you go. The TO running this event has the wrong mindset. Pandering to stream viewers rather than the people actually giving money to and attending your event.

CurlyW

And there you go. The TO running this event has the wrong mindset. Pandering to stream viewers rather than the people actually giving money to and attending your event.

Tricky thing about that is that many stream viewers ARE giving money to the event. Genesis 3 has a compendium (as did TBH5) and much of the donation goals are for the benefit of stream viewership. So it's not quite as simple an issue as it normally is for all other FGC & Smash tournaments.

ShinMaruku

It's an intresting experiment. Such a great thing Smash has itself as seperate that we can see different approaches to see what works.

petghost

Banned
Does smash not do invitationals or something?

Also perplexed by the idea that the scene isn't sure who the top 32 players might be. Didn't one guy win everything for quite some time? Is everybody else around the same level? Even in a volatile game like marvel I would think it'd be easy to pick at least 10-15 people who are miles ahead of the pack.

Tripon

Capcom Cup was an official event, run by Capcom. Genesis 3 was supposed to be an open event run by an independent TO. Nintendo doesn't want to officially run things.

That's why you are seeing this pushback. This is also why I laugh when Smash people say they don't need Evo. Evo wouldn't have pulled shit shit of not announcing seeding until a few weeks ago. It's an amateur move at best.

notworksafe

Tricky thing about that is that many stream viewers ARE giving money to the event. Genesis 3 has a compendium (as did TBH5) and much of the donation goals are for the benefit of stream viewership. So it's not quite as simple an issue as it normally is for all other FGC & Smash tournaments.

What a mess. Still, imo, if you aren't valuing competition at the event above all else then why bother? Hell, why not just run matches off stream or on a secondary stream?

At the very least why wait til the last minute to announce this crap?

ShinMaruku

I know the whole story. That's Kasumi? Doesn't look like it.

I remember Ayane being seen as a bastard, I don't remember.

That's Honoka though

Yup, Honoka is Misty's cousin, their fathers are brothers. Honoka and Ayane's father is techically the heir to their clan but since he did the deed that made Ayane he lost his claim, however his daughters still belong to the ruling family. Ayane more so because her mother.

CurlyW

Capcom Cup was an official event, run by Capcom. Genesis 3 was supposed to be an open event run by an independent TO. Nintendo doesn't want to officially run things.

That's why you are seeing this pushback. This is also why I laugh when Smash people say they don't need Evo. Evo wouldn't have pulled shit shit of not announcing seeding until a few weeks ago. It's an amateur move at best.

Evo doesn't do seeding at all, for the record.

Does smash not do invitationals or something?

Also perplexed by the idea that the scene isn't sure who the top 32 players might be. Didn't one guy win everything for quite some time? Is everybody else around the same level? Even in a volatile game like marvel I would think it'd be easy to pick at least 10-15 people who are miles ahead of the pack.

There was the Smash Summit back in November that was an invitational, but it was run by esports people (BTS, the Dota 2 casting studio).

From what I've read, there is a definite top 10 or so players, and the rest is fairly muddled. Also balance changes, new characters, etc.

Yup, Honoka is Misty's cousin, their fathers are brothers. Honoka and Ayane's father is techically the heir to their clan but since he did the deed that made Ayane he lost his claim, however his daughters still belong to the ruling family. Ayane more so because her mother.

Yeah, the clan story was the most striking part I remember from DOA. I wanted more but they didn't give more. :(

The intro to DOA2U was and is still fantastic.

My favorite fighter on Xbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHnPQPlBv2Q

ShinMaruku

I don't know how it's laughable about them not needing EVO, if they have a consortium that does the same thing EVO does their numbers and network would help. They would be fine with or without evo.

CurlyW

Not even with their Road to EVO points or whatever a few years ago?

Well in that case, yes, they did use those for seeding back in 2013. The last two Evos, there has been extremely minimal, subjective skill seeding. 16 players at most for each game. (Though I looked over the full Marvel bracket for this past Evo and I'm not sure if that had more than 4 seeds.)

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
I saw let the Smash thing rock, if it burns them, they will learn.

Smash community is pretty god like look at there numbers always record setting or close to it at majors. I remember one person said like smash community its begging to be accepted by FGC. I'm like look at their numbers and tell me how and why are they trying to be accepted???????

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
DOA2U is the only fighter where I legit wanted to know what happens in the story because of the intro. Ayane~~~ ;_;

I used to be a big DOA fan. I should give Last Round a shot.

Last round is free I can help and if you main ayane there is Shin for that. I got Last Round for all 5 yep PC ps3 ps4 xbox one 360 ROFLMAO. I did buy it for ps4 but besides that... yeah Perks for being top tournament player team ninja gives me and other players free stuff. I love team ninja support for the offline scene these days

notworksafe

it's really not a difficult concept dude. take 3 seconds to obscure pointless tit pics to both help folks at work and avoid this thread possibly getting reported and taken down.

Last round is free I can help and if you main ayane there is Shin for that. I got Last Round for all 5 yep PC ps3 ps4 xbox one 360 ROFLMAO. I did buy it for ps4 but besides that... yeah Perks for being top tournament player team ninja gives me and other players free stuff. I love team ninja support for the offline scene these days

Last Round isn't free on steam

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
Last Round isn't free on steam

oh i ment I free for PS4 and xbox one my bad i'm still like just waking up well fully awake now. Oh you PC gamer oh i ment as in team ninja gvae it to me free. Like for example DOA5u a lot people was angry that me sweet revenge master etc. Cause we all got the game early jsut like Last Round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom