• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumubou

What's sad about it?

If Capcom wants the casual audience then they need to do the stuff necessary to get this audience. If not then they don't deserve those sales or the accolades.
That would require far more of a budget than Sony -- never mind Capcom! -- was willing to spend. (Remember, Capcom was too conservative/scared/whatever to fund even this without outside funding.)

Part of me wants to think they're trying to move away from heavily front-loaded sales at retail and think/hope the game is going to have a longer tail than most games. It's not completely absurd -- USF4 sold what, 500k on console and 750k on PC? I don't know what people expect from an expansion of an expansion of an expansion for a game that wasn't heavily marketed. I think there's reason to believe it can work, although it could also blow up in their face. I think it really comes down to how well Capcom and Sony support the game (and, by extension, how often Capcom ends up putting their head up their ass like they're prone to). If they're really willing to make the long-term investment, I think the core community can blow this up for them even if launch sales are a relative disappointment -- but they have to be willing to spend that money and time, and then spend it in the right places, and I don't know if they're willing and able to do that.

Sayad

That would require far more of a budget than Sony -- never mind Capcom! -- was willing to spend. (Remember, Capcom was too conservative/scared/whatever to fund even this without outside funding.)
They are willing(and actually are) to spend money on those stuff, though! They're just not willing to delay the game for them.

shaowebb

Anyone else feel like a big fighting game announcement for a sequel is coming at EVO? I know we just received a ton of anime fighters and ASW is doin its stuff but I keep feeling like we got something big coming. Like folks are waiting for stuff to clear out and launch to mention they'll be putting out a title in the fall or later.

Likely candidate Injustice 2.

Sayad

Can't find the option to turn on character music instead of stage music during local vs. Those stages themes are awful. :\

Kumubou

They are willing(and actually are) to spend money on those stuff, though! They're just not willing to delay the game for them.
The content they're adding post-launch brings it more in-line with most fighting games but it's still nowhere near Mortal Kombat X or most other AAAAAAAAAAAAAA games.

I suspect that the game probably would have been better off being delayed to March (and that would have still allowed them to launch within this fiscal year). The launch perception would have been better, but I honestly wonder how much that's going to matter in the long run. If they really are expecting a long tail, then the launch won't matter. I think the real issue is that they're kind of stuck between launching as a traditional retail title and moving to a Games as a Service model and they're just half-assing everything, and that is probably what is going to cause the most damage long-term.

That and it's far different for a company to budget $20m of development costs over five years (with revenue coming in for the project for about half that time) versus spending $20m over two years straight into launch, and then however much more for additional content. (These numbers are picked effectively at random; I have no idea what the budget or development times have been.)

NEO0MJ

Can't find the option to turn on character music instead of stage music during local vs. Those stages themes are awful. :\

Did you check the audio setting?

Just kidding. Strange that you can't change that, though. You'd think they'd learn from how people complained about that in IV. In fact they should just let us choose whatever theme we want like Arc games do.

Quesa

I splurged on a PS4 hitbox that I ended up not needing for SFV. But it works with Amplitude, so I no longer regret it.

Tizoc

So any advanced combos worth testing out in SF5? Got my copy but far as Ryu goes I know he can do St. MP>Cr. MP for example :V

The short answer is force off vsync and see if it bothers you. If it doesn't, great. Most fighting games are locked to 60 FPS, btw, so vsync on anything not a multiple of 60hz is gonna induce judder.

Two options here:
1) Vsync on @ 60hz

2) Vsync off @ 96hz

Tearing is less apparent the higher the refresh rate you run at since torn frames don't stay on the screen for as long. I bought a g-sync monitor but even when testing without g-sync the tearing is not a bother at all for me and I forget about it sometimes at 144hz. Worlds better than vsync-off on a 60hz monitor, for sure. If I didn't have g-sync I'd just run SF5 @ 144hz with vsync off.

I think that is going to be a problem for me.

I notice tearing/jitter quite easily and usually play games with vsync on because well, they weren't fighting games or FPS games so input lag didn't really bother me.

Now that it is a concern... I may need to just let that go and get used to no vsync.

I think the real issue is that they're kind of stuck between launching as a traditional retail title and moving to a Games as a Service model and they're just half-assing everything, and that is probably what is going to cause the most damage long-term.

I would agree with that.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Kindevu will play a billion characters but that's just how he is. Can't really pinpoint who. He seems to go for characters with lots of mobility and mixups.

pizzacat

Banned
I'm thinking of buying this brook converter to use the RAP4 on my xbone, it costs 40 bones anyone know if it's any good

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Luffy is playing MIka? Well I guess he's still sticking to his principles. Have to give him credit for that.

Sayad

Did you check the audio setting?

Just kidding. Strange that you can't change that, though. You'd think they'd learn from how people complained about that in IV. In fact they should just let us choose whatever theme we want like Arc games do.

OK

im seeing people in the french tourney and even R Mika in cutscenes pronounce gief's name as:

Zon -Gih -Ef

i always thought it was

San - Geef

After understanding Ken's midrange game better, I'm liking him more as an option. I thought he was going to be straight rushdown.

Looking forward to the frame data on the release version.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
MXK has a valentine tower thing right now. Tru is playing it and it's so random and funny. One of the matches has the gamespeed like twice as fast as normal with chipmunk voices and everything.

El Sloth

Banned
Got the game urley yesterday (for a friend since I don't have a PS4 myself yet). It was my first time playing the game. Was a a lot of fun! Well, my opinion of the game could still change, but I'm really enjoying right. I really like Zangief and Mika. Mika especially, I love her buttons and her irish whip gives her some nice opportunities for setplay. Also letting somone think they just escaped the corner only to fling them right back in there with her command throw is the best lol. Nadeshiko is a pretty flexible tool, but I'm honestly not too sure how to best use her just yet outside of a single combo and making people scared to press a button and then scooping them.

Fang's hilarious, but he's a bit awkward to play for me at the moment. I need more time with him. I really like new Sim but I can't instant air teleport reliably to save my life on the PS4 pad. It's just weird trying to do it with my thumb on those tiny flat buttons!

Laura is less boring than she looked, but I'm not really interested in messing around with her right now.

Ken has some tiny T-Rex limbs lmao. And his fireball suuuux. Felt like a free punish everytime a Ken ends a blockstring with a fireball.

After understanding Ken's midrange game better, I'm liking him more as an option. I thought he was going to be straight rushdown.

From what I'm reading its the same.

But Yeah ken is supposed to be played Mid range. Knowing this I wish they would allow you to get V-meter by running since you're not gonna get much playing like that.

*and stop using Ken's fireball.

Part of me wants to think they're trying to move away from heavily front-loaded sales at retail and think/hope the game is going to have a longer tail than most games. It's not completely absurd -- USF4 sold what, 500k on console and 750k on PC? I don't know what people expect from an expansion of an expansion of an expansion for a game that wasn't heavily marketed. I think there's reason to believe it can work, although it could also blow up in their face. I think it really comes down to how well Capcom and Sony support the game (and, by extension, how often Capcom ends up putting their head up their ass like they're prone to). If they're really willing to make the long-term investment, I think the core community can blow this up for them even if launch sales are a relative disappointment -- but they have to be willing to spend that money and time, and then spend it in the right places, and I don't know if they're willing and able to do that.

i just want to point out that ultra didn't sell that many copies on steam. capcom just renamed everyones game to ultra from arcade edition. you had to purchase ultra separately to actually unlock that content even if steam said you already own the game because capcom renamed it.

Beckx

Sony advertising SFV on ESPN during basketball today. They're even doing "Rise Up" game summaries with logo.

The lifespan of this game is going to be interesting. A big launch and midling reviews wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if they will go the Destiny route and make the base game free at some point before season 2.

Essay

From what I'm reading its the same.

But Yeah ken is supposed to be played Mid range. Knowing this I wish they would allow you to get V-meter by running since you're not gonna get much playing like that.

*and stop using Ken's fireball.

I liked this interpretation of how SFV Ken will play. Didn't touch him in the beta because I assumed he'd be like his old self, but I think I could have fun with him if he's actually trying to stay out of midrange.

Infinite

Glad you found a character you can at least vibe with. I'm digging Ken myself.

I have my copy but I won't be able to play until Monday ;___;

I liked this interpretation of how SFV Ken will play. Didn't touch him in the beta because I assumed he'd be like his old self, but I think I could have fun with him if he's actually trying to stay out of midrange.

A lot of that stuff has been criticized as being impractical from Kenneth players.

The video gets the idea across though that's he's a different beast and "AGGRESSIVE" Ken isn't exactly how he's supposed to be played.

Lol according to Kappa it'll take 340 hours on ranked play if you can manage a 50% win ratio to earn enough money to unlock ONE DLC character. If that's true get wrecked.

vocab

Lol according to Kappa it'll take 340 hours on ranked play if you can manage a 50% win ratio to earn enough money to unlock ONE DLC character. If that's true get wrecked.

Playing plus level ups should get you a character in no time. Had 30k at the end of the last beta, and I barely played. Daily/weekly challenges will give a bunch too.

They aren't taking daily quests and such into account, which will provide the bulk of your money. The game is designed to reward playing daily, not grinding for long hours during the day.

Astarte

As long as the daily quests aren't some super tedious pieces of crap then I'll be down for doing them.

Beckx

They aren't taking daily quests and such into account, which will provide the bulk of your money. The game is designed to reward playing daily, not grinding for long hours during the day.

Though we have no idea how many dailies there will be or how they pay out.

March/April is the best time to decide whether the season pass is worth it.

------------

Glad you're safe MarkMan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom