• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

In 2d like SNK backgrounds its fine. Just increases the loadtime before the match because you end up with more frames and bigger files, but at runtime its fine. Just has to load larger files into the stage. Its 3d that puts all the processing at runtime on those kind of things that sucks. Gotta be careful. That's why if there is a 3d animation you can prerender as a video and play across a model indistinguishably then do it. That way you take the load off runtime and just add it to load time for it to preload the video. Can't preload a model that at animates at runtime. Count em up before hand, test to see they look right and if they do turn em to video and shitcan that as video to play in the background as animated textures and watch your materials so the lighting engine doesn't make it look like a projected video on a wall. Can be tricky, but it nets you stuff.

Since we are talking about performance...

My 1440P monitor is overclocked to 96Hz. I am running an i5-6600K overclocked to 4.4Ghz and a 980Ti.

I read in a few places that the games were designed to run at 60FPS. Should I drop my monitor down to 60Hz?

And what about v-sync? Do I cap it at 96Hz (or 60Hz) with v-sync even though that introduces input lag? Or do I just let it ride uncapped no matter what the FPS is?

Sorry, new to fighters. :)

Kumubou

Then people should do their own thing in their hotel rooms, not beg Wizard to spend money to pacify them.
Evo's had overflow viewing rooms before. It's not a huge issue -- but it's bigger than it should be just due to how far apart the two venues are. Also, what happens when they get, say, 20,000 people to show up and the arena sells out? Everyone else is just holding an L? That kind of sucks.

My 1440P monitor is overclocked to 96Hz. I am running an i5-6600K overclocked to 4.4Ghz and a 980Ti.

I read in a few places that the games were designed to run at 60FPS. Should I drop my monitor down to 60Hz?

And what about v-sync? Do I cap it at 96Hz (or 60Hz) with v-sync even though that introduces input lag? Or do I just let it ride uncapped no matter what the FPS is?

SF5 (and most every fighting game in existence, really) is tuned to run at 60hz, and the mechanics and moves are tuned to those exact update timings, so trying to force to run the game at an unlocked framerate would be a really bad idea. (Yeah they could set up a full client/server system where the game logic runs at 60hz and the rendered scene runs at whatever, but that's way over the top for a fighting game).

From a playability standpoint, with a machine that powerful you could easily get away with turning VSync off -- the extra response time is really important at any competent level of play. I'm not sure what sort of frame pacing goofiness you would run into with a monitor that updates at 96hz with a game that's updating at 60hz, though.

shaowebb

Honestly, considering Necalli has BOTH his hair models on his body at all times but only one of them rendering with textures at any given time I wouldn't be surprised if his hair pushes some stages over on memory and causes framerate issues considering he seems to have cloth effects, light emitters and shit goin on there. The model rips people grabbed showed him with both the Super Saiyan and dreadlock hairdo's modeled on his head so its seems like they just set one shader to turn off and the other to turn on once he activates his shit.

Bet you get more frame drops with him after he activates on stages than before. Him vs a poison emitter abusive Fang or fire crazed Dhalsim would probably be a good way to bench mark stages.

notworksafe

Evo's had overflow viewing rooms before. It's not a huge issue -- but it's bigger than it should be just due to how far apart the two venues are. Also, what happens when they get, say, 20,000 people to show up and the arena sells out? Everyone else is just holding an L? That kind of sucks..
I imagine if 20,000 people register for EVO they will make a change. Let's work on at least filling the arena first. Also the overflow viewing rooms were part of the areas already rented out for the event. IIRC Wiz has said the area in the convention center they are renting will be used by another event on Sunday.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm seeing footage of the game out in the wild. It does not look pretty as it did during the beta.

Posting even once gets you on the wall. We should all be ashamed.

I wanna see it either way. PUT IT UP!

Think about what you are asking. You want folks to be paid to set up a separate venue with a stream (employee, equipment, chair, and venue rental costs) to accommodate folks too cheap to pay a measly $40 to go to an arena and want to just watch on a stream for free? That's better solved by telling folks to use a laptop in their hotel room. Seems like a waste of money for no reason.

If you are gonna make the trek to Vegas, pay for a hotel, flight, gas, taxi, food, tournament entry, souvenirs, monorail pass, etc and not shell out a measly $40 to watch the finals, then you should just go home a day early or not bother going at all. If you register the first week and get a general admission arena pass it's literally the same cost as last years EVO.

I just don't like arenas... :(

I'll be buying reserved tickets but the reason why I stated that is because people are gonna get fucked over with seating if they aren't holding the floor reserved ones.

are PS4 frame drops and stage lag confirmed? Or is it speculation/feelings? A ton of people can test it for real, can't they? Was this an issue during the beta (only played on PC)?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
BBCF spoilers
vrYFaOk.jpg

RIP saya

Swarna

The short answer is force off vsync and see if it bothers you. If it doesn't, great. Most fighting games are locked to 60 FPS, btw, so vsync on anything not a multiple of 60hz is gonna induce judder.

Two options here:
1) Vsync on @ 60hz

2) Vsync off @ 96hz

Tearing is less apparent the higher the refresh rate you run at since torn frames don't stay on the screen for as long. I bought a g-sync monitor but even when testing without g-sync the tearing is not a bother at all for me and I forget about it sometimes at 144hz. Worlds better than vsync-off on a 60hz monitor, for sure. If I didn't have g-sync I'd just run SF5 @ 144hz with vsync off.

Sayad

Even with fight request off? Seems wack.

Gonna try it later though.
Had some issues too(freezed frames, not just slowdowns) but didn't notice any while offline. Online, the game is always communicating with the server, the moment connection drops, it will tell you about it.

Deps

Its definitely early, but after playing the betas on pc, the ps4 version definitely doesn't feel as smooth. Special moves on some stages feel like they skip a lot of animations.

Xrd has some nice stages. But ASW went ham with animating and shading background characters in the same style as the player characters.

Also SFV stages are just weird. Mainly because they threw the kitchen sink at the first one. Then had to roll all of that shit back for every other stage. I bet the updated stages will be one of the things coming later down the line.

Edit:

Also am I the only one that actually follows the "Tekken" twitch profile? I don't even follow or care about the game.

because http://www.twitch.tv/tekken

I just wish they had somewhat more convincing proportions for the background characters. The New York stage probably looks okay in 2D but in 3D the janky perspective and midget BG characters are way too obvious.

or just make all of them kids like in the GOAT SF4 stage

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
So I'm thinking to myself what will be the use of fight money after buying characters and costumes? Capcom
(you better be reading this)
should introduce different pieces of clothing for the character while still introducing more costume DLC. I can give a simple example, for Cammy, she can wear have her gloves with spikes on the knuckles or have Nash wear black shades, this can really be expanded upon and make a very varied wardrobe for people who are into this. Team Fortress 2 does this with hats and for some odd reason, people go nuts for it. After a while, fight money will lose its novelty cause people can grind it out when there isn't anything new to buy, unless the store is updated weekly or first starts out with a ridiculous amount of content, which is probably not going to be the case. People can buy the pieces with real money if they don't wanna bother with the fight money, just as you can with DLC.

Another thing that could make fight money interesting is being able to have friendly wagers in lobbies with fight money and earn even more if they win or lose. Ratios can go into the equation just like it would in betting. To go even further with this, fight money is not purchasable. Granted, this idea can be abused so easily with people intentionally losing and boosting other people, even if it is in ranked.

mbpm1

So I'm thinking to myself what will be the use of fight money after buying characters and costumes? Capcom
(you better be reading this)
should introduce different pieces of clothing for the character while still introducing more costume DLC. I can give a simple example, for Cammy, she can wear have her gloves with spikes on the knuckles or have Nash wear black shades, this can really be expanded upon and make a very varied wardrobe for people who are into this. Team Fortress 2 does this with hats and for some odd reason, people go nuts for it. After a while, fight money will lose its novelty cause people can grind it out when there isn't anything new to buy, unless the store is updated weekly or first starts out with a ridiculous amount of content, which is probably not going to be the case. People can buy the pieces with real money if they don't wanna bother with the fight money, just as you can with DLC.

Another thing that could make fight money interesting is being able to have friendly wagers in lobbies with fight money and earn even more if they win or lose. Ratios can go into the equation just like it would in betting. To go even further with this, fight money is not purchasable. Granted, this idea can be abused so easily with people intentionally losing and boosting other people, even if it is in ranked.

Character Editor for SFV?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Character Editor for SFV?

Something close to that, but not like SFxT. Keep it simple with gear that can be swapped. One day I want Ryu to have sleeves, another day I want him wearing a baseball cap. You get the idea, it gives value to an otherwise imaginary currency. That's how its done with real money, so somewhat of a small parallel can be drawn from this and be used to its advantage to influence folks into grinding those points out and not feel as if they're worthless and makes it work like a feedback loop:

--> low on fight money --> grind for fight money --> more fight money in your pocket -> more buying -->
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

This generally promotes players to be more active and log in more hours.

Dahbomb

Something close to that, but not like SFxT. Keep it simple with gear that can be swapped. One day I want Ryu to have sleeves, another day I want him wearing a baseball cap. You get the idea, it gives value to an otherwise imaginary currency. That's how its done with real money, so somewhat of a small parallel can be drawn from this and be used to its advantage to influence folks into grinding those points out and not feel as if they're worthless.
Oh you mean like Tekken customizations?

Yyeeaaaahh......

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Oh you mean like Tekken customizations?

Yyeeaaaahh......

I was gonna mention that as an example, Tekken went a little crazy with it. Limit people with what they can do to just swapping clothes and small accessories and not go overboard with it.

petghost

Banned
Doesn't seem like anyone knows how to play him yet, too early. But hey that raw raging demon does a lot of damage.

it just doesnt seem like they attempted to make him a tekken character in the slightest. no strings, no korean backdash...its weird. just a sf character in a different engine.

I was gonna mention that as an example, Tekken went a little crazy with it. Limit people with what they can do to just swapping clothes and small accessories and not go overboard with it.

Tekken 5 was like that. The Customs were generally few and "in-character" and unique to them instead of the generic, often clashy pieces often seen in later games like TTT2.

VF4 started the wild custom thing, not Tekken imo.

Deps

English restream of T7FR loc test.
http://www.twitch.tv/levelupyourgame

it just doesnt seem like they attempted to make him a tekken character in the slightest. no strings, no korean backdash...its weird. just a sf character in a different engine.

I dunno, I like it because hes so different. While its very early, the potential of 2d style zoning in a 3d game seems really interesting. Tekken needs to do more stuff like this even if at first it seems janky.

He also still has a korean backdash, its just bad because of his short backdash.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
What's sad about it?

If Capcom wants the casual audience then they need to do the stuff necessary to get this audience. If not then they don't deserve those sales or the accolades.

I agree. Game deserves to get bopped if it's as barebones as people are saying. I mean it's sad that Capcom let this happen to a game as important as SFV.

How barebones was Splatoon in comparison?

Splatoon had a fully featured SP, but the MP was as barebones as it can get at launch. Only 20 levels, not many costumes/maps/weapons, and no lobby system. I'd say between SFV and Splatoon, it's about the same amount of content at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom