• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man blue screen of deaths in this DOTA major. What a blow up.

That's why people should temper their expectations with e-sports. We are still going to have stream issues, still going to have heels and non sense drama and still going to have greedy corporations trying nickel and dime the players.

reminds me of the dota 1 chinese tournament that was a blowup b/c the computers there were crap and BSOD all the time

『Inaba Resident』;197581857 said:
The patch is already finished and is being quality tested by Sony right now.
Is this not the reason why they are supposed to have a content delivery system internal to the game? So they don't have to go through sony cert any time they have to put out a new character or update something?

Ferrio

Banned
Is this not the reason why they are supposed to have a content delivery system internal to the game? So they don't have to go through sony cert any time they have to put out a new character or update something?

Well after the fucked up launch I bet Sony wants to go over this stuff with a fine toothed comb.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As long as large amounts of content are downloaded through PSN servers it will go through Sony, I think.

Even the testing of the content delivery stuff in the betas was manipulating stuff on disk. I guess it's not referring to actually how the data is delivered but how they manipulate it in the game, etc.

Or yeah, maybe just not ready.

Glad that some top players share the same sentiment that Chun Li is ridiculous in SFV.

I really don't like the fact that she has something like her air legs, or is able to use them the way she can in this game. For all the talk about taking risk in this game, that move seems pretty safe and spammable and I really don't think that will change much. Unless people who are playing against her just drop every other aspect of the game to focus on blowing that up, it's going to be hard to deal with. The rest of her I can deal with even if it still makes her the best or top tier.

Shouta

I really don't like the fact that she has something like her air legs, or is able to use them the way she can in this game. For all the talk about taking risk in this game, that move seems pretty safe and spammable and I really don't think that will change much. Unless people who are playing against her just drop every other aspect of the game to focus on blowing that up, it's going to be hard to deal with. The rest of her I can deal with even if it still makes her the best or top tier.

There are a lot of things like in the game like air legs that made it in that seem strange when to me. Stuff like how many + attacks chars have compared to the hit/hurt boxes for buttons, and etc. I'm enjoying the game but some of it really annoys me.

Tik-Tok

That shit is v-reversal bait.

Anne

The little character kit quirks in SFV are making me not have fun with it tbh. The game itself I think is good and fine, but I'm not particularly finding it fun how character's work or how MU situations are playing out. Game needs more interesting ways for characters to interact desperately, especially in neutral.

Switched to Ryu and it's been more fun there but still bugs the hell out of me.

Nightii

Banned
The little character kit quirks in SFV are making me not have fun with it tbh. The game itself I think is good and fine, but I'm not particularly finding it fun how character's work or how MU situations are playing out. Game needs more interesting ways for characters to interact desperately, especially in neutral.

Switched to Ryu and it's been more fun there but still bugs the hell out of me.

I always enjoy reading your opinions about this kind of stuff, so could you please be a bit more specific? What kind of quirks are the ones you are talking about?

Anne

I always enjoy reading your opinions about this kind of stuff, so could you please be a bit more specific? What kind of quirks are the ones you are talking about?

Um, it's hard to write out because it's not a complete thought, but basically the way the toolsets are spooled out feels pretty uneven and can lead to some goofiness that I don't find fun. It doesn't mean characters can't work with their tools and do everything a good FG player needs to do to win, which is why I don't think the game is bad and why most chars can do well, but I do think it's really dull and uninteresting.

Like, Bison is a good example I think. Strong character IMO, but he just has these huge gaps in his gameplan for no real reason other than giving him strong tools in other areas of his gameplan. It leads to some situations where another character and Bison just need to sit on the situation and basically come up with another way to do things. That's not wrong in and of itself, I just don't find it fun. A lot of characters do this especially with footsies, where it's better sometimes to just not play the footsies and look for something else to be doing. I'd rather have characters able to have a better handle on those than to just try to get back to their direct gameplan.

The uneven part is honestly things like Chun existing. She doesn't have that issue and honestly she's a ton more interesting to play and interact with. I feel like Ryu and Cammy also have a lot to work with too. I'm praying that future characters are waayy more interesting to play as and to play against and that helps bring out the better parts of the more underwhelming ones. I think the game could be end up being really super good/fun with some character tweaks or new characters mixing up "meta" stuff but it's not quite there yet.

Shouta

I would agree on toolsets being uneven especially with general changes like Command grabs being 5 frames. Combine those with the plus frames on characters like Chun and Nash, it's pretty annoying. Not impossible but annoying.

That's why Snake Eyes doing so well at WNF with Zangief is kind of amazing. It's so much easier to bully gief in this game, lol

Anne

Small follow up is that I am strictly speaking about fun ways to interact with characters, not strength, but that can bleed into strength lol. Somebody suggested to me this is probably intentional in order to get players to jump around character select more and to make it easier for people to quickly get gameplans going with new char, but I'm not ready to jump into that conspiracy hole yet.

Nightii

Banned
Um, it's hard to write out because it's not a complete thought, but basically the way the toolsets are spooled out feels pretty uneven and can lead to some goofiness that I don't find fun. It doesn't mean characters can't work with their tools and do everything a good FG player needs to do to win, which is why I don't think the game is bad and why most chars can do well, but I do think it's really dull and uninteresting.

Like, Bison is a good example I think. Strong character IMO, but he just has these huge gaps in his gameplan for no real reason other than giving him strong tools in other areas of his gameplan. It leads to some situations where another character and Bison just need to sit on the situation and basically come up with another way to do things. That's not wrong in and of itself, I just don't find it fun. A lot of characters do this especially with footsies, where it's better sometimes to just not play the footsies and look for something else to be doing. I'd rather have characters able to have a better handle on those than to just try to get back to their direct gameplan.

The uneven part is honestly things like Chun existing. She doesn't have that issue and honestly she's a ton more interesting to play and interact with. I feel like Ryu and Cammy also have a lot to work with too. I'm praying that future characters are waayy more interesting to play as and to play against and that helps bring out the better parts of the more underwhelming ones. I think the game could be end up being really super good/fun with some character tweaks or new characters mixing up "meta" stuff but it's not quite there yet.

Interesting, would this be somewhat like when characters in other games are designed in such a polarized way that they would rather avoid aspects of a typical fighting game match entirely to win?

I know it's a pretty different beast, but using Smash 4 as an example: Little Mac has a close to non-existent air kit to compensate for his supertuned ground battle data and moves, so his playstyle doesn't really mesh with the typical Smash top tier, who is usually great at everything.

Am I correct in thinking SFV is like that but in a non-disruptive way because it's much better balanced?

mbpm1

Somebody suggested to me this is probably intentional in order to get players to jump around character select more and to make it easier for people to quickly get gameplans going with new char, but I'm not ready to jump into that conspiracy hole yet.

I mean with the small roster and simpler execution it's easier than before to just look at someone else for some cases. One might easily be tempted.
Fuck a Nash

kirblar

I would agree on toolsets being uneven especially with general changes like Command grabs being 5 frames. Combine those with the plus frames on characters like Chun and Nash, it's pretty annoying. Not impossible but annoying.

That's why Snake Eyes doing so well at WNF with Zangief is kind of amazing. It's so much easier to bully gief in this game, lol
Chun is less of an issue than Nash because she deals appropriately low damage in her combos. Nash, on the other hand, hits lile a truck for no reason especially w his super easy to land super.

Dahbomb

Chun is less of an issue than Nash because she deals appropriately low damage in her combos. Nash, on the other hand, hits lile a truck for no reason especially w his super easy to land super.
Chun's super is easy to land too. There are quite a few things that Chun does better than Nash.

kirblar

Chun's super is easy to land too. There are quite a few things that Chun does better than Nash.
Her super does much less damage, i think its the lowest in the game.

She does them better, but he gets paid off better.

The game definitely has too much overly safe stuff right now.

Dahbomb

You all just mad because GootecksShimmy is going to skate on by.
he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.gif

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So did that French Ebar whatever guy get punished? He should be number one on the list since he got as high as rank one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom