• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see Korea's KOF scene join in on SFV. Korea's SF scene could use more homegrown talent to challenge Infil and Poongko and to more importantly grow. I think SFV getting bigger over there is important for the whole 2d scene in Korea. I hope they stay.

It's pretty cool what Momochi and Choco are doing. They're gathering up 8 players under the age of 20 years old as Momochi's and taking one of them to EVO as his student.

So, I got a te2+ finally. I am going to be honest, the top panel creaks like a mufucker and flexes in. Its disappointing. I might return it and just mod my old trusty T5 hori up one more gen. Or get a plexi panel. Idk.

kitzkozan

Damn Ono must be taking the heat from Capcom after those sale numbers came in. Sucks for him, I do not believe that SFV is a bad game by any means but it was clearly affected by exigent circumstances mainly brought on my Capcom as a whole.

We can take solace in fact that SFV as a product will only get better from here on. I just feel for any other decent size Capcom project that tries to take off from here that isn't called MH or RE.

I wouldn't shed a tear if Ono is fired, since I actually did state a couple of time that he should be relieved of his duties. :p I love the guy passion, but he seems to be lacking attention to details which is never a good thing if you are in the position that he's in (producer). He just seems like a man who's in the wrong spot, as I think he would be better suited in a purely PR position.

As for projects, Capcom is really struggling in general and we haven't hear anything on Deep Down in a while (another game where Ono is a producer...) . In fact, it's sad when a site like IGN is trashing Capcom for their overall performance lol. :p It's entirely deserved as well, because they are an atrocious company in 2016 and right up there with Konami as one of the worst in the world.

ArjanN

I wouldn't shed a tear if Ono is fired, since I actually did state a couple of time that he should be relieved of his duties. :p I love the guy passion, but he seems to be lacking attention to details which is never a good thing if you are in the position that he's in (producer). He just seems like a man who's in the wrong spot, as I think he would be better suited in a purely PR position.

As for projects, Capcom is really struggling in general and we haven't hear anything on Deep Down in a while (another game where Ono is a producer...) . In fact, it's sad when a site like IGN is trashing Capcom for their overall performance lol. :p It's entirely deserved as well, because they are an atrocious company in 2016 and right up there with Konami as one of the worst in the world.

This is a silly post and you should feel silly.

Line_HTX

evoMindBlown triWAT

Zissou

My success in SFV is inversely proportional to the pace of the match. If I can play it slow (certain MUs facilitate this moreso than others) I do fine, but YOLO characters give me some trouble... and by that I mean fuck you, Karin.

this is your worst post yet

jerry1594

So I'm using the new hori pad, and the dpad is really not very good. Maybe cause i'm used to the Saturn controller which is the best ever and not + dpads, but this one is annoyingly stiff. Does the old fc4 feel different? Cant imagine how shit the madcatz pads are.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pokken Tournament will probably sell more than SFV. And it's on a dying console that has a fraction of a userbase.

Maybe I'm wrong but let's see.
It might, but that's also partially because there's nothing worthwhile to buy on a Wii U besides whatever is the next Nintendo game is, also why attach rates for certain games are stupidly high.

You only think he is in the wrong spot because you're assuming that spot is in control of all of the factors that lead to an underwhelming/underperforming product, which he's not.

Ono seems to be wearing multiple hats, but I don't fault him for that either if dude is out here collapsing from how exhausting his job is. Capcom is running a paper thin operation here, and while I think the executive producer bears some responsibility, the larger picture is definitely shittier.

NEO0MJ

It might, but that's also partially because there's nothing worthwhile to buy on a Wii U besides whatever is the next Nintendo game is, also why attach rates for certain games are stupidly high.

Explain The Wonderful 101, then. Why did such a good game bomb hard? And to a lesser degree Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

Ono is not the fun loving PR man you think he is. He's a business man who looks at numbers & statistics and makes decisions solely based on them. He is the reason things are the way they are. He was the producer, he's the one that pushed for the early release to meet the fiscal year deadline(It has nothing to do with CPT). Don't feel sorry for him. He's made terrible business decisions ever since SFxT and he should have to deal with the consequences.

JeTmAn81

My success in SFV is inversely proportional to the pace of the match. If I can play it slow (certain MUs facilitate this moreso than others) I do fine, but YOLO characters give me some trouble... and by that I mean fuck you, Karin.

As a Marvel player you would think you'd be used to faster gameplay. Then again it's different when you dont have the matchups down yet.

Sayah

That's not true. Just this month alone, along with Pokken Tournament, we're also getting Twilight Princess HD and four Nintendo Selects titles. I can finally play Pikmin 3 without having to pay insane prices.

For me personally, the Wii U has a more solid library than Xbox One and PS4 combined at this point in time. Only Bloodborne on the PS4 is interesting for me. Even then, I found Bloodborne to be inferior to Dark Souls and Demon's Souls.

Swarna

Karin is the Blanka of this game. Go into training mode and learn to punish her double kicks, overhead specials and all the follow-ups with all-in-one solutions. Bonus points for dealing with the lunging palm. You'll find that 90% of online Karins become easy-mode since they're used to playing brain-dead. Karin players are probably the most guilty of getting to high LP without actually improving at the game.

Sadly, this probably validates Capcom's trepidation to move forward with the series. The server issues and lack of content are not the reason people didn't buy the game at launch -- it's a general lack of interest, and that frankly is far scarier. Was their marketing completely misguided? Or was their approach completely off? (Thankfully for Capcom, the core player base has enough to have some patience for fixes -- they just need to show short and long term engagement).

I don't think it's a lack of interest for the series but a lack of interest for a bad product and a misguided marketing. Their marketing was probably hard to balance for a few reasons: they want the game to be competitive so they have to send the message they are going full esport as it's the thing of the moment. Not doing it could send the message they aren't serious about this which is bad for their future partners (esports leagues, potential sponsors, etc).

Except that putting an "esport" sticker on games is not selling them: games become esports because they both competitive and free (like lol or dota) or because the competitive scene exploded without nobody expecting it and was then institutionalized (starcraft, rocket league, call of duty). SF4 could have been in this position too but they didn't do it because they were too late and because there's a lot of problems with the game tech I suppose. Here they are institutionalizing Street Fighter 5 and they have a scene for sure so they are doing the right thing.

But the whole "Rise Up" marketing thing... I don't know, I feel like it was a risky thing. Even if there is a real comeback to hard games and challenge in video games, I wouldn't like to hear from TV spots that this fighting game I'm interested in will devour all my time, hurt my ego by kicking my ass and ask me to become the number 1 in the world. People are already asked to be better in life, at work, etc... Aren't video games supposed to be fun and relaxing, not remind you of pressure you already feel in real life? Ok some people like competition but are they the majority?

The fact NetherRealm devoted resources in MKX to the a global social experience (towers, guilds) that does not require a lot of investment but still engages you is very smart. It just challenges you to "beat a game while having fun" and be rewarded for it.

Capcom really fucked this up by trying to go with a Games As A Service model while trying to treat it like a standard retail release. They really should have ditched the retail release entirely (at least at launch) and went with some sort structure akin to LoL or KI. I don't think they would much of anything sales wise while getting much better margins on the existing sales and they could have done a much softer launch to help deal with server issues. They would have also avoided all of the negative PR that the game got.

Capcom did the right thing going retail for a game as a service model. If they had ditched the release the need to earn money to reimburse the development would have been a huge pressure on players. The game would have been fucked with micro-transactions everywhere on day one, even for game modes, basic costumes or titles. Also doing a game like LoL is WAY less expensive than doing a fighting game and the business model is based on players being bored by characters and switching, a thing that never happen in fighting games as most players are character loyalists. Fighting games and MOBA F2P models are not comparable.

What they should have done is pushing the game to march, give a build of the game at tournaments and just reward with points. Once the game in a respectable shape, release it. But we're blaming the wrong person here as the release date was Sony's call, not Capcom.

Sayah

Explain The Wonderful 101, then. Why did such a good game bomb hard? And to a lesser degree Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

You can also look at Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Pikmin 3. Nintendo is ho-hum about sales for all three of these.

NEO0MJ

W101's gameplay is too complex and messy. Tropical Freeze did not bomb.

It didn't crack a million though. That's why I said to a lesser degree. And the game came out at a time without competition. And more than a year after NSMB U.

You can also look at Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Pikmin 3. Nintendo is ho-hum about sales for all three of these.

Yeah. I generally dislike reading that a game only sold well on Wii U because it had no competition. Does it have an effect? Sure, but nothing major and it isn't a deciding factor in how successful a game becomes. Even the pokemon brand doesn't guarantee big sales as we saw with some spinoffs so there's no guarantee it will beat SF V.

Sayah

Yeah. I generally dislike reading that a game only sold well on Wii U because it had no competition. Does it have an effect? Sure, but nothing major and it isn't a deciding factor in how successful a game becomes. Even the pokemon brand doesn't guarantee big sales as we saw with some spinoffs so there's no guarantee it will beat SF V.

Yep. Yep. All quality titles that sold poorly.

And even so, in the case of Pokken, there definitely is competition this month.

Dahbomb

Talk of Wii U in 2016 when a new Nintendo console is coming out... LMAO!

Let that console die a swift death, Nintendo certainly wants to. Sell your Wii U and games then hope Nintendo offers some BC for Wii U down the line.

Wouldn't be shocked if they port over Pokken, the new Zelda game and Smash to the NX. Hell they already did that with Zelda once before.

NEO0MJ

Isn't it almost guaranteed that Smash and Zelda coming over? Pokken will probably depend on how well it sells and how long they plan to support it.

I certainly have no intention of buying an NX at launch, even though I've been more than happy with my Wii U. I'll just buy Wii U games until they stop supporting it then move on, or if there's a bunch of NX games I actually want.

Tripon

Let that console die a swift death, Nintendo certainly wants to. Sell your Wii U and games then hope Nintendo offers some BC for Wii U down the line.

Wouldn't be shocked if they port over Pokken, the new Zelda game and Smash to the NX. Hell they already did that with Zelda once before.
Don't think you should sell your Wii U until news of BC. But yeah, I want Nintendo to succeed as a company and would welcome a complete switch go NX development as soon as it releases.

ShinMaruku

Zelda was delayed to launch on NX.

Dahbomb

I guess this is Nintendo's console strategy from now on.

Failed console release? Just delay the next Zelda game for the next console.

And the Nintendo fanboys lap it up as always.

Line_HTX

image.php

The whole run was botched. They had a year head start and still managed to mess it up.

Doesn't really look that good in the long run. Most of the games are fun though.

Tripon

Are you really criticizing a company for trying to have a strong launch schedule?

Didn't you frequently complain about how slow street fighter 4 was?

Nightii

Banned
Man, I'd rather read Yams' anime posts than see this thread infected with NX speculation, it's impressive/depressing what a couple of letters with no hard facts behind what it actually is does to people on the internet.

the sad part is that Wii U still has better exclusives than the other two consoles, I'll definitely end up buying a Wii U before a PS4 or Xbone

NEO0MJ

the sad part is that Wii U still has better exclusives than the other two consoles, I'll definitely end up buying a Wii U before a PS4 or Xbone

No lie detected. Aside from Bloodborne there's nothing for me right now on PS4. Every other game I have I could have bought for PC.

Y'all hate Nintendo now, but once Nintendo vs Capcom shows up y'all be beggin' for the hype.

You mean like TvC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom