• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

I guess this is Nintendo's console strategy from now on.

Failed console release? Just delay the next Zelda game for the next console.

And the Nintendo fanboys lap it up as always.
Something something Last Guardian.

Wii U has had excellent first party support so I don't know why you're salty that there's no Zelda, especially when you don't even own the console.

My PS4 has been collecting dust for the past 1.5 years. Wii U has been by far the most played system over the past two years.

sephi22

I would pop off about Nintendo and their fanbase but I am going to chill. Maybe I can unleash on Discord.
I see this Discord thing everywhere now. Dota 2 reddit, here, I think there was one in the Dota 2 Shanghai OT as well.
Is it like Teamspeak? Why are people suddenly flocking to it?

EDIT: Nvm. Looked it up. Should retire razer comms and switch to it myself

Dahbomb

Something something Last Guardian.

Wii U has had excellent first party support so I don't know why you're salty that there's no Zelda, especially when you don't even own the console.

My PS4 has been collecting dust for the past 1.5 years. Wii U has been by far the most played system over the past two years.
See me on Discord and I will tell you why.

I wouldn't shed a tear if Ono is fired, since I actually did state a couple of time that he should be relieved of his duties. :p I love the guy passion, but he seems to be lacking attention to details which is never a good thing if you are in the position that he's in (producer). He just seems like a man who's in the wrong spot, as I think he would be better suited in a purely PR position.

As for projects, Capcom is really struggling in general and we haven't hear anything on Deep Down in a while (another game where Ono is a producer...) . In fact, it's sad when a site like IGN is trashing Capcom for their overall performance lol. :p It's entirely deserved as well, because they are an atrocious company in 2016 and right up there with Konami as one of the worst in the world.

Wat? Konami? That's a bit extreme.

CO_Andy

fuck no. i dont want to fight an entire roster of boring fe characters and tiny nintendo characters the size of vjoe and rocket raccoon.
Unlikely Sakurai would be in charge of the project, so you wouldn't see too many FE characters.

Short characters are never the norm in a fighting game. If the game were made that way it would be a disaster.

mbpm1

Unlikely Sakurai would be in charge of the project, so you wouldn't see too many FE characters.

Short characters are never the norm in a fighting game. If the game were made that way it would be a disaster.

What about Giant Characters

Shoutouts to TvC

I don't see them hurting. I've been watching them play and they seem really good. Go watch today's Kao TV on gods garden's youtube. You can see Nemo, Haitani, Kazunoko, Nuki, Souji, Eita, Kindevu, Machabo, Ren, etc... playing each other. Japan still has more talented SF players than the US so they'll end up producing more talent. The US has a smaller pool of top players.

Think he said he wants to learn the game more before entering big tournaments.

It got uploaded to Youtube and I watched a bit of it today. I caught the part where Jiyuna translated his exact words about it. Jiyuna said that Daigo is practicing for the Red Bull Kumite(since that's his next tournament) because their is still a lot of stuff that he doesn't understand about the game so he still needs to learn a lot.

I guess it's safe to say that Daigo didn't grind during the beta like a lot of us did. He's got a lot of time so I think his gameplan with Ryu and match up knowledge against the other characters should be much more fleshed out by then. I think the other Japanese and internationals will do well at Final Round, I just don't expect domination. If I were to take a wild guess, I would actually predict Infiltration to win Final Round if he is there. But I haven't heard anything about him going though.

shaowebb

Yeah, MVC3 really stole any chance it had.
It didn't help that was for certain. TVC was already trying to compete with SFIV though and it had severe issues with decent sticks being around and how bad it was to try to pad warrior the game. Great game, but the hardware made plenty uncomfortable. Today folks mod their quality sticks for PS2 stuff and use converters.

Sentinel is a giant character though, just with actual mobility.
The Giants in TVC were far bigger and suffered zero hit stun except during very very particular stuff like supers. They were more like fighting Galactus than fighting Sentinel.

MrDaravon

It got uploaded to Youtube and I watched a bit of it today. I caught the part where Jiyuna translated his exact words about it. Jiyuna said that Daigo is practicing for the Red Bull Kumite(since that's his next tournament) because their is still a lot of stuff that he doesn't understand about the game so he still needs to learn a lot.

I guess it's safe to say that Daigo didn't grind during the beta like a lot of us did. He's got a lot of time so I think his gameplan with Ryu and match up knowledge against the other characters should be much more fleshed out by then. I think the other Japanese and internationals will do well at Final Round, I just don't expect domination. If I were to take a wild guess, I would actually predict Infiltration to win Final Round if he is there. But I haven't heard anything about him going though.

Agreed. Infiltration went in super hard on at least some of the betas though so that would hardly be surprising.

Zissou

As a Marvel player you would think you'd be used to faster gameplay. Then again it's different when you dont have the matchups down yet.

I think it's mostly what Swarna refers to below- I haven't internalized how to punish her rando stuff to the point that I do it consistently yet, and not punishing her consistently for doing random stuff means you're handing her matches for free. Punishing nuttiness is a lot less of a factor against say, Dhalsim, since all you need is a consistent punish on reaction to teleport, but outside of that, nothing is going to happen out of nowhere that's going to throw you off.

Karin is the Blanka of this game. Go into training mode and learn to punish her double kicks, overhead specials and all the follow-ups with all-in-one solutions. Bonus points for dealing with the lunging palm. You'll find that 90% of online Karins become easy-mode since they're used to playing brain-dead. Karin players are probably the most guilty of getting to high LP without actually improving at the game.

She can't quite be Blanka, since shenanigans aside, Karin is actually a good character :p

Didn't you frequently complain about how slow street fighter 4 was?

letgetouttaherebiqq5.gif

Just registered for Final Round, had to do it now because in a few days online registration ends and the price will go up. I only entered SFV, I wanted to enter SF4 but didn't because it's on a Friday where as SFV is on a Saturday. I've been making this trip almost every year for the past 4 years now because it double as a trip to visit family since I have 3 sisters that live an hour away from Atlanta. Didn't want to be gone so long on Friday and Saturday so USF4 had to be sacrificed. Honestly I'm kind of bummed about that because I wanted to brush up on that game since I haven't touched it since the day before SFV came out and that's been the only time I've played it this year.

But anyways, really excited to be apart of the first CPT Premier event of the year. But I'll be back home on the final day stream monstering like everybody else.

Tripon

That read like a fan fiction.
Sounds like esports.

Like, there is something about ESPN paying somebody to cover a tournament that features a couple hundred people at most, but would never offer significant coverage of the minor leagues of actual Pro leagues like Baseball, Hockey, etc. Despite proving they can draw thousnads each game on their own merits.

NEO0MJ

Maybe it wasn't so good after all.

OB9hLkt.gif

Though yeah it's kinda hard to deny that the game had some big flaws, like having to look up online how to actually play the darn game right.

The Giants in TVC were far bigger and suffered zero hit stun except during very very particular stuff like supers. They were more like fighting Galactus than fighting Sentinel.

I know, but he used to have a lot of armor as well. not as extreme as the giants in TvC, obviously.

W101 is definitely the most flawed full budget platinum game, but damn it's highs are so much higher than any other platinum game that it's not even close.

Amedo310

We must be in the same FB group or related ones, just read that today myself. Was a cute story.

D.M.V. Fighting Game Community Group? I've gone back and forth to the group over a few years, but I mostly spend my time playing at Xanadu Games. I just had a crazy old SNK games session at the monthly with a new guy and a couple of old buddies.

CO_Andy

Mahvel attracting younger talent than SFV

#dreamisdead

skLaFarebear said:
W101 is definitely the most flawed full budget platinum game, but damn it's highs are so much higher than any other platinum game that it's not even close.
If Platinum hadn't dove so hard on the gimmicks then it could have been a classic in the same vein as Bayo. Ah well.

shaowebb

I know, but he used to have a lot of armor as well. not as extreme as the giants in TvC, obviously.

Crouching M, The Skillet, Rocket Punch, launcher and Hard Drive I think maybe were his armored tools. Did I get that right? Did I miss any? Sorry, its been years. Thats not tooooooo much if so given his size and health issues.

NEO0MJ

Crouching M, The Skillet, Rocket Punch, launcher and Hard Drive I think maybe were his armored tools. Did I get that right? Did I miss any? Sorry, its been years. Thats not tooooooo much if so given his size and health issues.

I think he was much more Armored in MVC2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Seyavesh

no jumping normal of his is armored (he'd actually be really good if they were), no special is armored (so cross off rocket punch), and hard drive is just invin ("just", haha)
cr.m, st.m and st.S are his only armored moves. they all have 1 hit of armor- in vanilla S used to have hyper armor and cr.m used to have 3 points but that got nerfed.

from what i understand for mvc2 sentinel, he's armored at all times but armor loses to most fierces/roundhouse (as in it still puts him in hitstun?) alongside losing to various specials like capcom assist/cyke assist

saying sentinel is like the giants is a bad comparison anyway b/c it fails to take into account p. much everything about how those characters function within the context of their games and objectively in regards to their tools beyond the surface level stuff of 'they're armored, they're big, they're robots'

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Iron Galaxy is going to be having a 11 hour stream today

@TheKeits

The special Sunday KI Season 3 preview stream is planned for 10am to 9pm. Yes 11 hours of matches and testing YOUR requests.

basically going over a lot of the match ups of the 4 new characters... i assume time is CST

NEO0MJ

saying sentinel is like the giants is a bad comparison anyway b/c it fails to take into account p. much everything about how those characters function within the context of their games and objectively in regards to their tools beyond the surface level stuff of 'they're armored, they're big, they're robots'

Well, I only meant similar on a superficial level. And considering how unpopular they are I don't think they'll revisit that concept.

Iron Galaxy is going to be having a 11 hour stream today

basically going over a lot of the match ups of the 4 new characters... i assume time is CST

I'm impressed by how many more characters this season started with.

hypernima

Banned
We must be in the same FB group or related ones, just read that today myself. Was a cute story.

D.M.V. Fighting Game Community Group? I've gone back and forth to the group over a few years, but I mostly spend my time playing at Xanadu Games. I just had a crazy old SNK games session at the monthly with a new guy and a couple of old buddies.

What you guys are DMV too? I wanted to go to the monthly but I just wanted casuals and didn't wanna pay 10 :(

ArjanN

I think it's #1 and #3 the most. People don't like Sim because he's slow, is traditionally a defensive character and he doesn't look cool or flashy, also no titties. People who pick Sim are aware of his strengths and play to them, thus the win rate is higher.

People who pick Ken don't know where his best abilities are. No one I play against uses max distance neutral roundhouse, or target combo hit confirms, they do a crouching strong, back strong TC, hadouken combo to pressure and just wait for jump-ins to Shoryu.

This. I've fought Sim exactly once online so far. Everyone online is going to have at least 10 times as much experience fighting versus Ryu, Ken, Nash etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom