• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

I think people are already building unrealistic expectations for the shop. It's gonna have the story costumes and maybe some titles related to the new modes, but that's it.

I doubt dailies/weeklies will be ready for March. Probably the most important content IMO, since they need to both keep people engaged and keep their promise that those will subsidize the DLC characters.

It would be pretty bad if dailies/weeklies aren't in the March update given that they said they would be, and the game really needs more shit for people to do and other ways of earning FM.

At this point I'm just waiting for the March update to see what they do, I don't particularly care about Alex but other additions and changes need to come, I finally gave up a couple of days ago. Matchmaking is a mess right now and I don't know if it's their algorithms, low player pool, poor ranking point distribution on wins/losses etc or what. Stuck in the Super Bronze Ranked vortex where half of my matches are against people who have no idea what they're doing so I win and the other half are against Silver+ ranked players where I get demolished so I can't escape out of there. In Casual it matches me up usually with players at Silver or higher rank but I demolish them most of the time which makes no sense given that I can't escape Bronze/Super Bronze in Ranked. It's almost like there's a backend skill algorithm that matches me more appropriately in Casual matchmaking, but in Ranked it's going completely off my LP and since they set the bar so low needing a greater than 50% win rate in Ranked (you gain/lose equal LP once you hit super Bronze which is incredibly dumb IMO) too many people are stuck at this same LP range that shouldn't be and it's not allowing for a more even distribution of player skill levels across a smoother rank range. Also I think I've only had one ragequitter in Ranked, while I've had a ton in Casual. Like, why the fuck would you quit out of a Casual match??

Then to avoid the above issues everyone says just to do battle lounges, but battle lounges are STILL bustass for me despite having no problems with matchmaking or lag otherwise and the ports are open. It's incredibly frustrating, and I know the longer I go without playing the harder it's going to be to get back into it but I'm just not having fun with it right now since most of my matches are blowups one way or the other in either Ranked OR Casual.

It's so weird, even if the player pool is smaller than it should be the ranking/matchmaking just seems baffling to me right now.

Yes, I already discovered that the first week. It has it's uses but they just kick tech it really removes anything good about and it's not a safe jump anymore. If your opponent doesn't know and is not Chun or Ryu who both can reversal it for free, it's worth using it as a gimmick.

...? The video I just posted is it making Ryu's DP whiff.

That's the only reason I thought it was worth posting.

This pokken talk needs to stop. I've been watching videos of it, this is leading to terrible places.

At least put out a demo or have a demo station somewhere so I can make sure that I won't like it.

shaowebb

I'm seriously considering making an anime fighters general discussion thread sometime because of just how many of them came out recently and are still releasing this year. There is just a fuckton of them now and things happening in each all the time.

Maybe make it something like the Shmups thread that shows whats out and whats coming. What do you think?

Shun

There is no need to fracture and segregate the community more as is, even with the anime game suck posts.

It is great to keep it in one place because sometimes these games can overlap in interest and people will think about picking it up if they see it. FGC cannot just be Street 5 and that is it.

If there is a good game, just post it here show what is going on and maybe someone will show interest.

I mean there is a topic just for Gundam Maxi Boost and no one cares or sees there, more exposure here.

Infinite

This pokken talk needs to stop. I've been watching videos of it, this is leading to terrible places.

At least put out a demo or have a demo station somewhere so I can make sure that I won't like it.

the game has only been mentioned twice on this page of the thread prior to this post

I'm seriously considering making an anime fighters general discussion thread sometime because of just how many of them came out recently and are still releasing this year. There is just a fuckton of them now and things happening in each all the time.

Maybe make it something like the Shmups thread that shows whats out and whats coming. What do you think?

There's no need for that. I enjoy reading the anime fighter posts here as much as the street fighter/tekken/kof posts.

FGC-GAF community is already small enough as is. No need to split it even more.

CurlyW

Joey D said:
Smhhhh why they gotta have MSP front and center on the new poster tho
12805787_1048491235216703_3676402541074661528_n.jpg

via facebook

Dlent

I'm all for it, but you'll need to make the dangerous decision of what games to include. Marvel might be way more anime in gameplay than Koihime, but try telling that to anybody in America.

shaowebb

I'm all for it, but you'll need to make the dangerous decision of what games to include. Marvel might be way more anime in gameplay than Koihime, but try telling that to anybody in America.

I'm not out to reclassify or declassify things for anyone. Just a general news thread so people know a bit on whats out, whats coming, and what the games are like and then letting folks discuss them and ask questions with each other is all and hopefully find matches. Not like people wouldn't post here too by making a thread to keep folks abreast on poverty fighters.

is there anything you actually like thats ok to talk about?

EXVS
Most of the ASW stuff is ok I guess.
RPGs with a good focus on story "Trails" or "Witcher 1"
Shooters/Action games with fun mechanics or ones that are designed to be fun.
Anything SRW.
Anything Mecha in general is also ok.
Anime/Manga leaning more towards older stuff.
Tokusatsu shows are fine, but mainly Heisei era, less so on the Showa era.
Sci Fi/Fantasy - Douglas Adams, Neal Stephenson, Terry Pratchett, Philip K. Dick, Neil Gaiman.
Fiction set around Victoria Era is also not bad - stuff like "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell" or Sharpe novels.
Linguistics - stuff like Sapir–Whorf hypothesis is a very interesting topic.

That should cover a good of specific areas of interest.

tbh, looks a bit too marvel 3 tho

Yeah, I think it's mostly the lighting on the model and the muscles that give it more of a comic look like Marvel has.

EXVS
Most of the ASW stuff is ok I guess.
RPGs with a good focus on story "Trails" or "Witcher 1"
Shooters/Action games with fun mechanics or ones that are designed to be fun.
Anything SRW.
Anything Mecha in general is also ok.
Anime/Manga leaning more towards older stuff.
Tokusatsu shows are fine, but mainly Heisei era, less so on the Showa era.
Sci Fi/Fantasy - Douglas Adams, Neal Stephenson, Terry Pratchett, Philip K. Dick, Neil Gaiman.
Fiction set around Victoria Era is also not bad - stuff like "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell" or Sharpe novels.
Linguistics - stuff like Sapir–Whorf hypothesis is a very interesting topic.

That should cover a good of specific areas of interest.

Trails and mecha are some great stuff.

Beckx

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

soooo good. like this book can't be recommended enough times.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes vol 1 in english came out this week. I am loving it.

speaking of sci-fi, ever read Iain Banks' Culture stuff? it's really, really, really super good. i also dig China Mieville's fiction (mostly weird fiction but he did sci-fi in Embassytown). some of his books can be challenging reads but if you like Neal Stephenson and read Anathem (LOVE THAT BOOK) you won't be bothered by it.

speaking of sci-fi, ever read Iain Banks' Culture stuff? it's really, really, really super good. i also dig China Mieville's fiction (mostly weird fiction but he did sci-fi in Embassytown). some of his books can be challenging reads but if you like Neal Stephenson and read Anathem (LOVE THAT BOOK) you won't be bothered by it.
I've seen Culture mentioned a lot, I really should give it a shot.

I think I started reading Anathem at some point in time but stopped and can't remember why anymore.

Beckx

I've seen Culture mentioned a lot, I really should give it a shot.

I think I started reading Anathem at some point in time but stopped and can't remember why anymore.

you should. the culture books share a setting but otherwise each book isn't related to the other, so you can start anywhere. the first book, Consider Phlebas, is usually recommended to start with (Halo took a lot of ideas from it), but the first one I read was Surface Detail. that book has the best name for a starship ever written: the very fast picket ship named Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints. my favorite Culture book (and maybe one of my top 5 all time) is Use of Weapons, though it tells its story out of sequence and can be a more difficult read.

Beckx

I heard the Culture books have cool ideas but braindead characters

whoever said that may have been clinically braindead themselves, I think.

i, uh, may be kind of touchy about this.

oh I'll also throw out a recommendation for Sandman Slim on the fantasy side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom