• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite

This "market to the FGC" thing was absolutely insane.

The game is amazing for new/casual players, but they completely bombed actually advertising to them.
But also the dropped feature set which kinda forced them to bet on the fgc anyways instead of just releasing the game when it was actually done.

I feel like the writing has been on the wall for the whole SFV situation since the announcement.

Once I saw that trailer with live footage of players and clips of IV (with a few seconds of "oh by the way we have a new game" instead of a traditional in-universe CG one, the direction they were going was clear.

Anne

So something like Blazblue when you mistime a throw tech and you get that X over your head?

I made a more in depth write up somewhere, might be posted soon. Something similar to the TRM symbol, yeah. They already have a notification symbol for cross ups, could just use that.

Beckx

Feels more like a cheaper way to advertise rather than spending tons of money on TV adverts.

I've mentioned it a few times already, but Sony ran a ton of TV advertising on ESPN channels during marquee college basketball games, and even sponsored the game summaries.

DARKSTALKERS trademark has been renewed [in Canada] as of February 10th, 2016 - taking effect June 26th, 2016.

was it otherwise going to expire? unlike registration, renewal doesn't mean very much generally.

I've mentioned it a few times already, but Sony ran a ton of TV advertising on ESPN channels during marquee college basketball games, and even sponsored the game summaries.

was it otherwise going to expire? unlike registration, renewal doesn't mean very much generally.

Yep, it takes effect 15 years to the day of the last filing.

Sheroking

Soul Calibur V has sold way better than Street Fighter V at this point, think about that.

They released in the same month, with same-ish competition, only Soul Calibur had nearly 2 extra weeks in the NPD and charted exactly the same.

Nevermind that a bigger share of Street Fighter 5 is going to be digital than a PS360 game from 4 years ago, not only because digital is bigger now, but because there was a massive pre-order based opt-in program for SFV.

SCV sold like 2 million units LTD, which I think SFV will eclipse long before 2020.

CdN4vE2VIAAul4R.jpg

https://twitter.com/Feng_Shui_J

aaaaaaaaaaah!

lmao

Also aired during NBA on TNT, during RAW on USA and during the Saturday Night Toonami block on Cartoon Network. There's no shortage of SFV commercials/ads on TV.

CurlyW

Kim Wu looks much better now, I think she's a legit good design. All the females in KI look pretty great and then we have Capcom who seem to be going the opposite direction in models.

Yah, I was just being facetious. I was referring to how when Kim Wu was revealed, everybody in this thread (mostly Shin) started talking about how American devs can't make women's faces properly (despite there being no such complaints about Maya, Aria, or Hisako).

Soul Calibur V has sold way better than Street Fighter V at this point, think about that.

It did? If it did, it was not by much. I am looking here:
http://8wayrun.com/threads/soul-calibur-v-sales-discussion.11741/
He was basing a lot on vgfartz though.

Even TTT2 (according to unreliable VGpartz) did 300,000ish in first 2 weeks. 400,000 total for first 6 weeks.

Also on this, they had a more reasonable expectations for both games:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...isses-sales-target-soul-calibur-5-doing-fine/

Just in general, seems like fighting games sales are steady at the modest level they were at. I think FG devs need to keep expectations in check.

I think SF5 might pick up with the SP update hits, and when it starts getting discounted heavy at retailers, if they shipped a lot. I remember TTT2 dropping in price fast.

Beckx

Yah, I was just being facetious. I was referring to how when Kim Wu was revealed, everybody in this thread (mostly Shin) started talking about how American devs can't make women's faces properly (despite there being no such complaints about Maya, Aria, or Hisako).

when "everybody in this thread" boils down to Shin you know you're doing something wrong, especially on this topic

CurlyW

when "everybody in this thread" boils down to Shin you know you're doing something wrong, especially on this topic

It was plenty more than just Shin, he's just the one I remember specifically.

Edit: I just went back and checked and it was Oneida and Karst more than Shin.

vulva

I don't think I've ever complained about character faces.

mbpm1

Isn't Hisako an onryo? Why would people even bring up faces with her

Unless they were nightmare faces

Dahbomb

I have so many conflicting feelings regarding SFV.

I still think it has great game play and very easy to pick up and play for people new to fighting games. It does a lot of things mechanically right and it's very rare to play a fighter that isn't busted from day 1. In that regard it's poor reception is a bit sad.

On the other... Capcom deserved this. Rushed product should be met with tepid sales and bad public perception... otherwise they won't learn. However, Capcom will just take this lesson as "welp, guess the fighting game genre is done".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom