• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
He meant world wide probably. There is like 60k more sales in Japan, no idea where Europe is at and some digital sales. And that 2 mil number was also world wide, probably shipped to retailers.
Yeah the 2 million is for shipped. They can flood the channel and the game gets heavy discounts at retailers.

DMC5 gonna outsell SFV?

DMC to be #3 best selling Capcom franchise now!

How did Capcom mess this up?

Dahbomb

How did Capcom mess this up?
Shipped a half baked product.

These days early impressions spread like wildfire with the easier access to online information. Word got out it was bare bones, people didn't buy it.

Also they probably have a bad rep now after all the editions they sold last generation, people are probably waiting for Super SFV at this point.

Finally, the online multiplayer landscape has changed dramatically. KI offers half as many characters but at $20 and has an actual F2P model. A lot of multiplayer focused games are F2P these days and they have way more content than SFV when it comes to the multiplayer. $60 is too much for the content this game provides in today's age.

This isn't even a case of fighting games are declining... MKX did really well as did Smash 4. The difference between those games and SFV is content.

TGMIII

Yeah the 2 million is for shipped. They can flood the channel and the game gets heavy discounts at retailers.

I know the language used by devs/pubs is often loose when talking about sales (sellthrough/shipped) but a gamespot article from May 2015 says this:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/street-fighter-5-ps4-and-pc-release-window-sales-t/1100-6427197/ said:
Also during Capcom's earnings report, the company revealed a sales target for Street Fighter V. The game is expected to sell 2 million copies by the end of Capcom's current fiscal year. This figure includes copies sold digitally and through traditional brick-and-mortar retail outlets, Capcom clarified.

Surely that means sellthrough rather than shipped?

Busaiku

"Sell" for a company means they sold it, meaning a retailer bought it.
The only time you should consider sold through is when they specifically state it.

Amedo310

12799334_10156568666545366_8392077046253234956_n.jpg

Shipped means sold to these companies. They sold it to whoever retailer..

I think some can do charge backs or whatever for unsold units, but I am not sure. I think they just discount and clear them out.

Doubt Capcom will cancel any future seasons after 1, it's not like they have many other games out in the foreseeable future. Plus I'm sure SF5 will stay on the radar with esports and Capcom could get a good chunk for costumes and character dlc from a dedicated core base.

CO_Andy

Rigging up a single new character model a month and tweaking the balance isn't exactly breaking the piggybank. Shouldn't be too hard to recoup dev cost through dlc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, I think it's pretty squarely in flop territory.

Gonna say it's more of a shock than it was to be expected. For something that had crack betas, fantastic trailers (outside of those FGC-focused commercials), a "one disc" promise, and top class brand recognition, I expected it to do MUCH better off of brand recognition + service promise alone.

Sub-500k is a shocker even with the problems the game has. And truthfully, I'm having a hard time believing a CPU battle mode, or some character trials, or a survival mode tweaked and renamed Arcade mode with some artwork at the end, or an extremely short cutscene-laded story mode, or all of the above would have made that much of a difference. The trials are probably the biggest thing, I think.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Gods of Egypt made more money than SFV and that movie is the biggest flop of year so far and probably will be period.

MechaX

Man, I am curious to see how Capcom will handle SFV going forward (assuming they change any of their plans at all).

Drumming up interest with CPT and EVO is one thing, but you actually need to draw in fresh faces to actually buy the game, not just become an immortal stream monster. Unless the core crowd right now is enough to sustain the game, especially in the months/years to come after this shaky launch, I dunno man.

notworksafe

I told yall. I fuckin told yall

SFV is gonna fail which will cause a chain reaction leading to EVO becoming a Nintendo exclusive tournament. EVO 2017 will declared a disaster zone after the sheer number of unwashed Smash kids causes a poison gas cloud to form around the LVCC, which is declared a quarantine area, and President Trump decides to use tactical nuclear force to save the rest of the country.

MechaX

If Monster Hunter for whatever reason bombs (and I mean catastrophically), we're going to be seeing a lot more titles like Breath of Fire 6.

Man, I am curious to see how Capcom will handle SFV going forward (assuming they change any of their plans at all).

Drumming up interest with CPT and EVO is one thing, but you actually need to draw in fresh faces to actually buy the game, not just become an immortal stream monster. Unless the core crowd right now is enough to sustain the game, especially in the months/years to come after this shaky launch, I dunno man.

im sure you not buying 10 copies is what caused this

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

It's looking bad, but it can definitely be done and the game can get there. Question is, how bad will they squander the recovery?

They're still charging for Alex, which is dumb because it's just representative of a lack of confidence in prolongued sales. Right now they need to be aggressively increasing the value of the game in as many ways possible to incentivize purchases. Look at Driveclub. Similar situation, and they gave away a DLC pack for free as a sign of goodwill, and that game enjoyed some decent success over time for what they could salvage. They should give more character content up front for free and tack on extra characters to make up for the free ones in the season pass.

The real thing they will have trouble avoiding is the price going down at retailers and shipping units out.

Being aggressive is the only way to get out of this current rut and keep their heads above water prospectively. Capcom doesn't strike me as a proactive company, though.

XSEED teasing that they're localizing Trails the 3rd in the same day that SFV apparently sold like ass. Not sure how to feel about today.

I'm not too worried about SFV though. I imagine the long tail for this game will be great, though I have to wonder what Capcom is gonna do from here. I don't think they're gonna slap the panic button just yet.

jbug617

Banned
I think in a way SFV should of copied DOA5 Last Round release. Have a free download that locked out some modes with a free character and have a retail release that has everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom