• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

Like I said ArcSys and Bandai Namco have been kings for a while now.

Between Tekken 7, Gundam EXVS, BlazBlue, and Guilty Gear. Too much quality to compare.

I agree with this. I like Capcom's franchises but they've been pretty trash for the past few years. Have they actually released any good games on the PS4/One that aren't old DMC ports? RE6 had backlash. SFV is currently experiencing backlash. Not sure what else there is.

In comparison, I think Namco's output has been pretty damn good. Maybe it's my internal Namco fan speaking but they're actually one of the few developers along with RockSteady that can provide good games out of licensed properties. Their Xenoverse, Naruto, and Digimon games actually got received pretty well. Then top that off with quality production of other fighters like Smash 4 and Pokken. Tekken 7 was the one case of backlash but they actually addressed a lot of issues with the FR update. Then there's Dark Souls 3 and Ni No Kuni 2. Best third party Japanese company right now. They have the most quality output.

Wrong again. Ultra launched at $25. Nevertheless, the point is TTT2 was pretty price resilient and continues to be. I distinctly recall there being no sales or heavy price drops for the game for a long time. And I monitor sites like cheapassgamer and slickdeals daily.

It really wasn't and isn't. Resilient is how long retailers where able to sell it at the planned MSRP. I contend it didn't hold it's MSRP for the time wanted and underperformed there. If I am wrong, good for them. I don't think it did though (which is not a good thing). Or Namco didn't care, cause they sold them already. Or they cared because there were not reorders of stock.

Looking at an old zaibatsu thread, seems like somebody was saying also it was 20 less a 3-4 months later.
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=125158&perpage=20&pagenumber=4

Even looking at it's sales, it seems half it's total came after 2012 ended. It seemed it got to 20 around august 2013. I don't know the spread of 2013 and how that panned out though. I would need to hit up some friends. But I am gonna be lazy there, haha.

Even with all that. I am not happy it did that. TTT2 (and SCV) should had sold more and I wanted them to sell more. I want all fighting games to sell healthy so they can keep making them. I am not getting SC6 now for how these sales have broken down.

Seems like you are coming to this from some tekken vs sf angle and you are trying to be right and win an argument. Who gives a shit. We are just trying to look at the numbers and try to understand what is going on and be realistic on what and why this stuff is happening. Who cares who (franchise) sales more, like it' some competition. These game aren't sports teams we are rooting for. Lets just look at the numbers.

Dahbomb

Why was SFA3 the only real test with world tour mode? Why didn't it become a series feature?
Because SFA3 didn't do all that well sales wise and of course Capcom with their infinite wisdom attributed that to "no one cares about the single player content".

It happens in other game series too. There are good features in less well received games and developers tend to overlook the game almost entirely when making the next one.

Sayah

It really wasn't and isn't. Resilient is how long retailers where able to sell it at the planned MSRP. I contend it didn't hold it's MSRP for the time wanted and underperformed there. If I am wrong, good for them. I don't think it did though (which is not a good thing). Or Namco didn't care, cause they sold them already. Or they cared because there were not reorders of stock.

Looking at an old zaibatsu thread, seems like somebody was saying also it was 20 less a 3-4 months later.
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=125158&perpage=20&pagenumber=4

Even looking at it's sales, it seems half it's total came after 2012 ended. It seemed it got to 20 around august 2013. I don't know the spread of 2013 and how that panned out though. I would need to hit up some friends. But I am gonna be lazy there, haha.

Even with all that. I am not happy it did that. TTT2 (and SCV) should had sold more and I wanted them to sell more. I want all fighting games to sell healthy so they can keep making them. I am not getting SC6 now for how these sales have broken down.

Seems like you are coming to this from some tekken vs sf angle and you are trying to be right and win an argument. Who gives a shit. We are just trying to look at the numbers and try to understand what is going on and be realistic on what and why this stuff is happening. Who cares who (franchise) sales more, like it' some competition. These game aren't sports teams we are rooting for. Lets just look at the numbers.

You pulled up an old Tekken Zaibatsu thread that indicated a price drop to $40 in Canada alone. Never mind the other territories. I'm sure if TTT2 had any significant price drops shortly after release, you would be able to pull up old cheapassgamer threads. But you can't because they didn't happen.

GorillaJu

I think I'm too lazy to play fighting games. I'll never git gud. But I already bought the season pass so I guess I better not give up.

Shun

So how would you say "feeling sick, don't come near". Would be radically different to be easily understood without context?

気分が悪いです、俺に近づかないください

earlier was just casual slang.

yes

FINE!

(。◕ฺˇε ˇ◕ฺ。)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

9608570443_a15606ddf3_o.gif

Shun

I agree with this. I like Capcom's franchises but they've been pretty trash for the past few years. Have they actually released any good games on the PS4/One that aren't old DMC ports? RE6 had backlash. SFV is currently experiencing backlash. Not sure what else there is.

I am strictly speaking about fighting game but you are not wrong.

I have a bias towards both not just because I play games for both, but I'm also a big consumer of both companies.

They have far and beyond provided the most quality in the fighting game genre in terms of unique gameplay, technical skill, and overall fun and competition.

Both companies and games have provided some of the more unique characters, systems, and continue to do more in their own games.

It's been like that for a while.

Bandai Namco has been the king of everything for even longer just because of the variety they provide but that is off topic and not really relevant.

I personally think Ultra4 should have been stuck for one more year at least. Capcom is not in a condition to support a new game, especially with the finances now and since Ultra4 is still played in arcades and as a game and regardless of how you felt it was time to move on it was a too early. They definitely can't support both and the release of 5 fractured the player base with a strong number still playing 4 while another group move on to 5.

I mean you got bannam and arcsys chilling and still raking in ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ while capcom is shitting themselves thinking, shit we didn't make the 1.5 million threshold, how are we going to fund our other shit now?

Will they make an arcade version on Sega/Taito at 720p to recuperate costs and make more profit? To help culture the player base at home? They should, but they won't. The game can definitely be scaled back to work on a Sega Nu or Taito X3. Arcades may be rolling back, but other companies still making money where they can where as Capcom is banking on Mohun and hoping Street 5 somehow magically sells more.

You pulled up an old Tekken Zaibatsu thread that indicated a price drop to $40 in Canada alone. Never mind the other territories. I'm sure if TTT2 had any significant price drops shortly after release, you would be able to pull up old cheapassgamer threads. But you can't because they didn't happen.

Does this count? what does significant mean in this context?
https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/294547-amazon-ps3360-tekken-tag-tournament-2-4999/

Maybe it dropped more after that if it went down 10 that fast.. All I know, I didn't pay full MSRP and I didn't have to wait that long as I do for other games (imo), heh.

I would had liked it to hold longer, for Namco' sake.

Dahbomb

Have they actually released any good games on the PS4/One that aren't old DMC ports?
They haven't released a game on those consoles yet that isn't a port outside of SFV. So just DMC4SE, DmC Definitive edition, RE Revelations, REmakes etc.

But they have RE7 and DMC5 in the pipeline. And there are a hundred ways they can screw up either of those games.

Dahbomb

DMC would be a lot harder for them to screw up than RE7 at this point.

But if anyone could screw it up, it'd be them lol.
You are kidding right?

250px-DMC2FrontCover.jpg

Ever since DMC2, Capcom has continuously mismanaged the franchise.

DMC3 - Created an excellent game but botched the NA release by releasing it without the game's default checkpoint system (so you restarted a whole mission when you die) and defaulted the game difficulty to a tier higher than normal (so normal was hard, easy was normal). They had to create a Special Edition to fix this issue. Though if DMC3 wasn't made and the game wasn't as good as it was, the game would've died in the PS2 era just like Onimusha.

DMC4 - Another half baked, rushed out of the door product. Game was clearly only half complete before they decided to just reused stuff for the 2nd half. Was a huge step down in content from DMC3 in terms of bosses, weapons, missions, environments etc. Despite this, it's still the best selling game yet and got a DMC4SE release. If this game didn't have a god tier combat engine then the fans would disown it almost as hard as DMC2.

DmC - Never mind the fact that Capcom decided the series was in need of a reboot to begin with (which it didn't if you were following the numbers), they not only messed up the PR badly but screwed the game itself. They had to release a Definitive edition to fix all of the problems in it and finally it's a good game but the damage was done.

There are so many ways they can screw up DMC5. They can skimp on the budget, rush it out too early but the main way they can screw up DMC5 is by making it DMC4.5. They will completely forget DmC existed (or that any other action game since DMC4) and will forget to include all the advancements in the genre since then and just release a rehash product because they think that's what the fans want. Which obviously will not work because DMC4 wasn't the greatest DMC game to begin with and no one really wants a rehash of that game again. So they will go all in on the combat and will probably succeed at that but will skimp out on everything else and then will wonder why they didn't meet their sales target despite delivering a "true" DMC game.

You are kidding right?

250px-DMC2FrontCover.jpg

Ever since DMC2, Capcom has continuously mismanaged the franchise.

DMC3 - Created an excellent game but botched the NA release by releasing it without the game's default checkpoint system (so you restarted a whole mission when you die) and defaulted the game difficulty to a tier higher than normal (so normal was hard, easy was normal). They had to create a Special Edition to fix this issue. Though if DMC3 wasn't made and the game wasn't as good as it was, the game would've died in the PS2 era just like Onimusha.

DMC4 - Another half baked, rushed out of the door product. Game was clearly only half complete before they decided to just reused stuff for the 2nd half. Was a huge step down in content from DMC3 in terms of bosses, weapons, missions, environments etc. Despite this, it's still the best selling game yet and got a DMC4SE release. If this game didn't have a god tier combat engine then the fans would disown it almost as hard as DMC2.

DmC - Never mind the fact that Capcom decided the series was in need of a reboot to begin with (which it didn't if you were following the numbers), they not only messed up the PR badly but screwed the game itself. They had to release a Definitive edition to fix all of the problems in it and finally it's a good game but the damage was done.

There are so many ways they can screw up DMC5. They can skimp on the budget, rush it out too early but the main way they can screw up DMC5 is by making it DMC4.5. They will completely forget DmC existed (or that any other action game since DMC4) and will forget to include all the advancements in the genre since then and just release a rehash product because they think that's what the fans want. Which obviously will not work because DMC4 wasn't the greatest DMC game to begin with and no one really wants a rehash of that game again. So they will go all in on the combat and will probably succeed at that but will skimp out on everything else and then will wonder why they didn't meet their sales target despite delivering a "true" DMC game.

I'm not saying they can't screw it up. I know all about (and have played) DMC2 and the issues with 4 and the obvious stuff with DmC, but I kinda feel like they're starting to understand after DMC4:SE and DmC:DE being greatly improved over their previous versions.

You highlighted my post, but didn't see right after that I'm saying that it's harder to screw up at this point than RE7. At least with DMC5 they have an idea of what it might be. Capcom has shown that they no idea what to do with mainline RE and has been remaking/remastering older ones and making spin-offs instead.

Dahbomb

Thing is that after RE6, they can do a bunch of things and it will probably work. They can reboot the series, remake RE1 for PS4/XB1, make the same type of RE as RE5/6, do a survival horror mainline RE, try something completely new etc. They have a clean slate to work with.

With DMC it's different. They can't reboot it because they just rebooted it. They can't remake DMC1/DMC3 because they aren't even that old yet, they can't make a prequel game because DMC3 already did that and they can't try something completely new because they tried that too. They have a very narrow attempt on DMC that they can't deviate too hardly from, the fanbase isn't as large as RE where they can afford to take that risk.

Thing is that after RE6, they can do a bunch of things and it will probably work. They can reboot the series, remake RE1 for PS4/XB1, make the same type of RE as RE5/6, do a survival horror mainline RE, try something completely new etc. They have a clean slate to work with.

With DMC it's different. They can't reboot it because they just rebooted it. They can't remake DMC1/DMC3 because they aren't even that old yet, they can't make a prequel game because DMC3 already did that and they can't try something completely new because they tried that too. They have a very narrow attempt on DMC that they can't deviate too hardly from, the fanbase isn't as large as RE where they can afford to take that risk.

When you put it like that, it makes sense that they have more flexibility with what they can do with a new mainline RE compared to a new DMC game.

I guess I'm just hopeful after how much fun I had after playing DMC3/DMC4:SE/DmC:DE fairly recently that they kinda know what they're doing now with the series compared to back when 4 originally launched, even if they had their fairly significant issues along the way.

Sayad

There are no rules to when can you reboot or remake games as shown by Tomb Raider:

TR: Angel of Darkness (reboot, intended to be a trilogy)
TR: Legend (reboot)
TR: Anneversary (remake)
TR: Underground (sequel to Legend)
TR 2013 (reboot)

Though TR kept selling well throughout this whole mess.

Thores

UPCOMING IN DEVELOPMENT INDIE FIGHTER ROUNDUP
Fearless Night
E'sLaf 2
Omen of Sorrow
Them's Fightin Herds
Tzompantli
Trajes Fatais
Shaolin vs Wutang
Pocket Rumble

Dead:
Beast's Fury

Any other ones I missed?

As I said before, it's a very comforting sign that people care enough to try to break into this genre with new IPs.

Rising Thunder under "Dead" maybe, depending on how indie you consider it to be.

Oh, and Cerebrawl in development! Very, very early development.

Good list!

Any other ones I missed?

You may want to include Rivals of Aether, as it's still in Steam Early Access. I believe the final eighth character is due for a reveal soon. EDIT: The final eighth character has been revealed.

Also, Combat Core and Last Round I think are worth mentioning. Both of them are Power Stone style arena fighters. Combat Core is still in it's alpha phase, but all the playable cast has been added to the game. There's no info on Last Fight since it's reveal a month or so back.

shaowebb

Fearless Night
E'sLaf 2
Omen of Sorrow
Them's Fightin Herds
Tzompantli
Trajes Fatais
Shaolin vs Wutang
Pocket Rumble

Dead:
Beast's Fury

Any other ones I missed?

As I said before, it's a very comforting sign that people care enough to try to break into this genre with new IPs.

Nice list! Don't forget that the guy who made Rumble Pack (a free Mugen fighter) has been putting in the work on remaking the title for Unity and eventually you can probably expect to see him around. Here's him testing some basics in his engine.

Dude is pretty cool and shows a lot of potential. Rumble Pack had fun combos. I especially liked MC Supercut and hope to see him one day being tested in Lierro's Unity stuff too.

jett

D-Member

Beckx

Any other ones I missed?

Skyhook

Blind corporate fanboys of this sort are just the fucking worst.

eh, it's what happens when someone still thinks arguing on the Internet is worthwhile (or would ever change anyone's mind about anything), and their love for something clouds out all good judgment. not everyone is wired to ignore a sea of complaints about something they really like.

I love SFV but its fans are insane. People are really trying to convince themselves the ps4 version barely beating Fire Emblem on its debut month isn't a sign this sold poorly. The salt is real and SF fans are going nuts.

Beckx

I love SFV but its fans are insane. People are really trying to convince themselves the ps4 version barely beating Fire Emblem on its debut month isn't a sign this sold poorly. The salt is real and SF fans are going nuts.

to be fair what that really means is Fire Emblem had a huge launch in the context of that series and the localization whiners got owned pretty hard.

For Fire Emblem charting like that is a success story given people had to BEG for these games to come over in the past.

But for SFV, the latest sequel in the poster child of fighting games charting like that?

I'm not saying FE sold poorly. On the contrary. But FE selling well doesn't mean SF sold well. These two games have completely different expectations and the fact that the latest SF didn't chart in the top 5 on its debut month is not a good sign.

Of course, don't let the SF warriors tell you otherwise. There's no cause for concern apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom