• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
argh xian's archive is sub only

unless we're in for another dark ages there's no way a numbered SF is going to fail, but if all it does is continue at the same pace as SF4 it would be really disappointing, imo.

All the effort put in to make the game accessible, all the learning/community infrastructure people have been putting together for 7 years, if that doesn't make SF5 a much bigger game than SF4 then I think that's a blowup.

I think that's a realistic expectation.

But I think if the game can remain the most popular franchise in the FGC without needing to be some spectacle to cater to minions, that itself is growth.

That said, lol @ the folks who said we shouldn't be talking about the state of the game durings its beta. The final version turned out so different, right?

This is faulty logic and a slippery slope.

A beta is a beta.

Betas are, by virtue of being betas, supposed to have issues.

A lot of people were doing more than just talking about the state of the game and you know it.

I'd just like for the whole game to get reanimated, more or less. SF4 was far better animated for the most part.
This is absurd. It's the exact opposite for me, with how no single aspect of SFIV's visuals has been competently executed. Only complaint I have is that Capcom's artists somehow regressed with the backgrounds.

but was it boring?

seriously asking this question cuz i wasnt around.
Yes, it was.

The notion of V being the same league as vanilla SFxTekken in terms of not being spectator friendly also made me laugh.

SlimXx

410b5e8bd9b6ea8952f2c66b1edd7ff7.jpg

Yeah, and that shot was in reaction to this highly technical SF4-specific moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksx0DZ5G54o&t=6m35s

kitzkozan

I think that's a realistic expectation.

But I think if the game can remain the most popular franchise in the FGC without needing to be some spectacle to cater to minions, that itself is growth.

Just the fact that damage output is on the high side should secure it's future. We all remember the high amount of timeout in SF X T at launch, mostly caused by the screwed up health regeneration pace vs the relatively mediocre damage output (especially when you had two bars to drain). :p

What should be boring for some is to see the same combos / setups over and over again since the system is strict (emphasis on short and damaging combos). It was nice to see a huge / long combo in SFIV from time to time to shake-up the routine setups that you eventually see over several hours of watching.

Yellow_Magic

Neo Member
Hello! Former Tekken player here looking to get into Street Fighter once V arrives in the mail. How much of a learning curve can I expect?

Neoxon

I feel like I'm already tired of watching this game.

I mean I don't think I'd go as far as to call the game garbage but renting out a fucking stadium to showcase an unproven game that has similar viewability issues to Street Fighter X Tekken was probably not the best idea.

I love fighting games so I hope I'm wrong but I have real serious concerns that the community isn't gonna experience much growth because of this game after the honeymoon is over.
How is this any different from when SF4 first came out? The game was showcased like crazy.

Well bison did, right?
Not much after that second Beta, which brought my concerns about.

Been posting more lately because I have more experience with the game now and am more confident in how I feel, but definitely talked about how I already felt bored of the game/feel like it's not a very good spectator game quite a while ago.
Gotcha.

Yea she's always been able to do that
Cool.

This is faulty logic and a slippery slope.

A beta is a beta.

Betas are, by virtue of being betas, supposed to have issues.

A lot of people were doing more than just talking about the state of the game and you know it.
There is no content to respond to in this post.

People need to be more patient. Wait for tournament play. You're comparing SF4 tournament play to SFV day 0 right now. SF4 was boring as shit outside of tournament play. It was hype during tournament play because of the high level displayed and the money/capcom cup seeds being on the line. I know I didn't watch casual SF4 last year outside of weekly shows like Topanga, Capcom Pro Talk, etc... I wasn't even watching NLBC or WNF anymore. I know a lot of people's exposure to SF4 the last few years was only tournament play and not everyday casual play like SFV right now.

If anything will kill the game, it's reputation that will be parroted by the chat.

edit: I will say this however. I want Ryu to have more usage out of denjin mode beyond just a faster fireballs. I want more people getting guard crushed. I also want Vega having stance switch combos.

"How is this any different from when SF4 first came out? The game was showcased like crazy."

No it wasn't. It hit a few trade shows and was basically not seen until a month or two before console release when they started the big marketing push. Even though it was already out in arcades, if you didn't live in Japan you'd have to live near one of the handful of arcades that picked up the game.

If you wanted any video of SF4 matches before console release, you were basically watching Nakano TRF/a-cho videos on nicovideo or the occasional Arcade Infinity/FFA ranbat.

BTW, you all should do yourselves a favor and go back and watch some 2008 SF4.

I just don't get how they didn't go with this direction of Fang. You see this pic and then watch his fight entrance cutscenes at the start of matches. Night and day. Look and act like completely different characters.

He looks so badass here.

Fang is awesome. Part of the reason why I like him so much is how goofy he is and the fact that his Japanese voice actor is Shigeru Chiba like Tizoc said. That's the same voice as Emperor Pilaf, Kuwabara, and Megane. It's perfect.

Speaking of FANG, his JP voice actor is Shigeru Chiba who voices Buggy in the One Piece anime.

BiggNife

Are people seriously trying to argue SF4 is better animated than SFV

That's absolutely absurd

Have you looked at SF4 lately

I thought SF4's animations were ok.

I then thought SFV's animations were good.

Then I saw Vega's animations. For some reason, that was what made me realize just how much better the animations are in SFV.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yes?
Like hell it is.
Yes.

SF5 animations are better, janky cloth physics are throwing you off.

It's like saying alpha has better animation than 3s
not really that extreame though

Also SF5 is fine, it's already miles better than SF4 was when it came out

Deps

SF5 animations are objectively better than SF4, except for light attacks which look like they're missing frames. Lights in SF5 remind me of NRS games.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I think the thing with SFV is the that the character models are far superior to the backgrounds in terms of textures and everything while SFIV character models is on par with it's backgrounds. SFV's background could look better.

BiggNife

Yes?
Like hell it is.
Yes.
Well i don't really know what to tell you except it sounds like you've played a different SF4 than I have

I actually think SF4 looks fine for a game made in 2009 but the animations were never particularly impressive. Serviceable, though.

Whereas I think some of SFV's animations look legit great. Vega, Ken, and Fang's animations are all really solid. The only issue is the annoying clipping some characters have.

I think the thing with SFV is the that the character models are far superior to the backgrounds in terms of textures and everything while SFIV character models is on par with it's backgrounds. SFV's background could look better.

What I don't like is the background characters trying to steal the attention of the fight. It's just silliness for the sake of being silly. In past games, the characters looked nowhere near as good as the fighters, but they were just standing in the back watching the fight. I also don't like the filter applied to the sky of each stage.

Ignoring the character models and a few parts of the stage, the sky looks much better without that filter. It's just makes the stages not as pretty. I don't think they're necessary. I don't think it makes the visibility of the fighters better, as the lighting on the characters is what makes that better.

So who is writing Daigo's tweets?

More important than that, who made Daigo follow people? This is the same dude that didn't even follow Bonchan. I'm guessing the madcatz guys are taking turns on his account. Probably Markman and now Zhi.

Only Lord Haunts is pure now.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm guessing the reason why certain people aren't streaming is because they are playing ranked since you aren't allowed to stream online play right now. I have a bunch of people on my list playing ranked.

Shun

I didn't know this was happening. Is there an archive?

It was on nico but it has been over. was not just sako and ogawa it was haitani and a couple guests too.

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv251860684

Here is some footage but it might be posted somewhere else later. or if you have nico premium

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/698829147238305792/pu/vid/1280x720/LNXSpzI4yHdwWN2o.mp4
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/698821267130978308/pu/vid/1280x720/X-P4yh7GI210L1Fm.mp4

.la1n

It's kinda depressing how cartoony everything ended up looking in SF V compared to the first reveal. I'm not saying Street Fighter needed to be grim dark but it was better without silly background characters and saturated colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom