• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurlyW

I'm in pool 40, no real big name in my pool. A few notables are Marvisto and some fradulent SF4 Sakura player that somehow got top 8 at FR three or four years back. I do see a guy named Adnan from Texas. I think that's Fourwude's name but I'm not sure if its him since he either isn't there or didn't use his nick name for this tournament. I hope I do OK, at least 2-2. I'll use every gimmick in my repertoire to not go 0-2 in this tournament.

oh boy

(also Four Wude is in Pool 51)

SlimXx

I'm in pool 40, no real big name in my pool. A few notables are Marvisto and some fradulent SF4 Sakura player that somehow got top 8 at FR three or four years back. I do see a guy named Adnan from Texas. I think that's Fourwude's name but I'm not sure if its him since he either isn't there or didn't use his nick name for this tournament. I hope I do OK, at least 2-2. I'll use every gimmick in my repertoire to not go 0-2 in this tournament.

Fourwude is in pool 51

I'm just joking, Joseph use to be a GAF regular years ago. We also met at EVO 5 years ago, we talked a little and played some casuals. I'm sure he would have said something himself, but he wasted his 1 post per year to laugh at someone for claiming Jlai is GAF's best SF player. It'll be nice to run into him again, although I'm not sure if he will remember me.

Oh and when I checked to see if Four Wude was there, I couldn't find him because I didn't put a space in betweeen his name.

shaowebb

the triangle goes: Attacks beat Grabs beat Counters

Counters and grabs are telegraphed a bit with color coding, and regular attacks are everywhere obv so no need to color code those.

Sounds like No Mercy back on the N64. I've seen the same formula used in wrestling games occassionally and in order to mitigate striking overwhelming the wrestling gameplay they incorporated so many startup frames of invulnerability to many of the grabs and less active frames to strikes. This meant you couldn't mash and actually had to time attacks in order to properly beat out grapplers.

It worked well. Since this is meant to emphasize fighter combat and not wrestling match dynamics though I dont see something like that as necessary. Just a fun fact for yall.

Nuu

Banned
Does anyone know if there is a list of how active each fighting game community is?

I wonder which games have the biggest scenes right now, which are dying, and which are rising.

Does anyone know if there is a list of how active each fighting game community is?

I wonder which games have the biggest scenes right now, which are dying, and which are rising.

Well, Street Fighter is growing at such a massive rate that it made a good number of people delusional about what portion competitive players make up of overall sales.

shaowebb

Thats largely regional. Just look at KOF historically. Never huge over here but majorly so overseas. Surprisingly enough anime fighters got a pretty solid following in Europe. Theres a pretty active Dengeki, Arcana, and Nitroplus crowd out there thats been running Melty Blood since lord knows when.

Heck some things are entirely within an area too like Daemon Bride, or that Chinese fighting game with KOF guest stars in it. Plus theres unique tourney titles like Senko No Ronde Duo which had tournaments almost exclusive to Korea and Japan and was a vs bullethell game with assists that I feel largely was the 2d prototype for what became the Gundam Extreme VS style of 3d combat.

It all depends on whats popular in an area. Some scenes just dont get support in some places. Just look at my tiny ass state...Southern WV is all Marvel and MK and northern is almost entirely SF and Smash.

Nuu

Banned
Thats largely regional. Just look at KOF historically. Never huge over here but majorly so overseas. Surprisingly enough anime fighters got a pretty solid following in Europe. Theres a pretty active Dengeki, Arcana, and Nitroplus crowd out there thats been running Melty Blood since lord knows when.

Heck some things are entirely within an area too like Daemon Bride, or that Chinese fighting game with KOF guest stars in it. Plus theres unique tourney titles like Senko No Ronde Duo which had tournaments almost exclusive to Korea and Japan and was a vs bullethell game with assists that I feel largely was the 2d prototype for what became the Gundam Extreme VS style of 3d combat.

It all depends on whats popular in an area. Some scenes just dont get support in some places. Just look at my tiny ass state...Southern WV is all Marvel and MK and northern is almost entirely SF and Smash.

Thanks.

I wonder how big the Skullgirls scene is.

Nah. EXVS is a clear descendant of Virtual On, with simplified inputs and fewer execution barriers, but added depth through team and cost system.

Wiki credits "Atsushi Tomita" with "Designer" role on what is more or less the lineage of these games. Either way this series has it's origins in Capcom before Senko no Ronde. I mean they started pretty early on and you can pretty clearly see how these ideas evolved over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam:_Federation_vs._Zeon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotcha_Force

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam:_Gundam_vs._Gundam

Shun

Scenes are as dead as you make them.

They are only dead if you let older games die.

Don't let that deter you from playing older or more niche fighting games just because smash and street fighter is popular right now.

Also depends on the kind of game you want, the community you want, and whether or not you mind foreign players and languages.

If someone wants to revive Virtual On or Hokuto no Ken or Jojo or whatever like how they keep vampire savior alive go do so. Its a shame people will flock to street fighter and play because they have people to play, not because it is necessarily fun to them.

pixelish

team behind tekken crash gonna do street fighter crash!

RΛZΞR INFILTRATION ‏@INFILTRATION85 10m
I waited so long time for this.
It's time to Street Fighter V Crash!!!
CdzdErFWoAEg711.jpg

Beats

Coach Steve said the netplay in Pokken felt like offline though he's just playing Fab who's in the same area. I've seen Shofu play people from all over the place in ranked and he didn't really have any bad impressions about the online.

edit: Rico Suave streaming Pokken too: https://www.twitch.tv/ImRicoSuave

Coach Steve said the netplay in Pokken felt like offline though he's just playing Fab who's in the same area. I've seen Shofu play people from all over the place in ranked and he didn't really have any bad impressions about the online.
It's probably like Tekken and Smash4 where there is a larger input buffer for offline play that is taken away when you play online..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom