• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelish

more details regarding street fighter crash (taken from r/kappa)

More details here: http://www.e-sportstv.net/community/noticeView.asp?ch_idx=&nidx=280&page=1&stype=&sword= (taken the liberty to translate the important bits)
1st Place: 30,000,000 KRW
2nd Place: 15,000,000 KRW
Qualifiers on the 3rd of April, first broadcast starts on the 10th of April.
Same format as Tekken Crash (so teams of 3 play against each other).
Four foreign 'teams' will be invited for the tournament.

Justin is so awkward.
Never forgot EVO 2010:

kcbxhj.gif

Kumubou

Capcom didn't do their netcode in house. What the hell, if they outsourced their netcode, why not just go for GGPO?
Two reasons I can think of:

-GGPO only provides the libraries to manage the connection itself. It does not handle anything else you would need, such as authentication, data management, matchmaking, load balancing, etc.. Capcom probably wanted (needed?) a full solution for their online functionality.

-To my knowledge, support is only available in English.

I do not know the licensing costs for GGPO3 (which I am presuming they would have used as SF5 is a UE4 game), but older versions would amount to a rounding error in an AAA game's budget. (That should be self-evident when indie games such as Skullgirls and Lethal League use it.)

Dahbomb

So they out sourced the visual assets, got a pre-created engine, outsourced the netcode, outsourced the art in the story mode... what exactly did Capcom do themselves with SFV?

jerry1594

So Bengus has been a freelancer for a while now. Dude probably hasn't drawn in years and no other former capcom artist wanted to do it lol.

Masaki_

Two reasons I can think of:

-GGPO only provides the libraries to manage the connection itself. It does not handle anything else you would need, such as authentication, data management, matchmaking, load balancing, etc.. Capcom probably wanted (needed?) a full solution for their online functionality.

-To my knowledge, support is only available in English.

I do not know the licensing costs for GGPO3 (which I am presuming they would have used as SF5 is a UE4 game), but older versions would amount to a rounding error in an AAA game's budget. (That should be self-evident when indie games such as Skullgirls and Lethal League use it.)

I was thinking of it could've been a lack of documentation in English, but then why is the Yatagarasu team apparently able to implement GGPO? I say "apparently" cause they haven't yet, and we don't know when or if they will at all, but they ARE trying. If a small japanese indie team can give it a try, I would expect a AAA developer to achieve it no problem.

In short, I bet Capcom could've used GGPO if they wanted to, but it probably would've taken more effort and money than they were willing to spend.

It looks like Poongko can't play SF4 because he'll get to FR at night.

Shame. The times I've watched his stream, he didn't seem to enjoy playing SFV very much. Always looked like he would rather be playing 4.

ShinMaruku

https://twitter.com/LegendofStarfy/status/71057077542245580

Capcom didn't do their netcode in house. What the hell, if they outsourced their netcode, why not just go for GGPO?

Many of these games probably don't do their netcode in house. As for why not GGPO, it could be something very technical. Also it's intresting that the guy had to clarify that blaming them for net issues is like blaming Unreal engine for other shit. Not quite as simple as people would like to believe.

DRE Fei

SFV is asscheeks.

Does this count as shitting on the game, or maybe I don't know how to read again? LMAO.

So when the salty sf4 players get what they want and this game fails, what happens next? Does everyone go back to playing sf4 in your ideal scenario? That's not gonna happen. What's gonna happen is another drought.

Maybe SF is just going through franchise fatigue right now and needs to go away for another 10 years. I think you guys really need to see what it's like again. Then you can be in the same position as the people who quit sf4 and went back to 3s.

Dahbomb

Does this count as shitting on the game, or maybe I don't know how to read again? LMAO.

So when the salty sf4 players get what they want and this game fails, what happens next? Does everyone go back to playing sf4 in your ideal scenario, because it's not gonna happen. What's gonna happen is another drought.

Maybe SF is just going through franchise fatigue right now and needs to go away for another 10 years. I think you guys really need to see what it's like again. Then you can be in the same position as the people who quit sf4 and went back to 3s.
Why do you assume that people who are not fans of the state that SFV is in right now are SF4 fans?

People don't seem to be going back to SF4, there is still a high contingency of top players playing SFV at the moment and tournament attendance is extremely high, record breaking even. Game is likely to be a main stay at competitive events for a while... the issue is that SFV was unable to break into a larger audience as it was intended to do and that's due to its poor launch. Sure they got the game play and mechanics right for the most part... but to get the casuals you needed EVERYTHING else.

So when the salty sf4 players get what they want and this game fails, what happens next? Does everyone go back to playing sf4 in your ideal scenario? That's not gonna happen. What's gonna happen is another drought.

its really not that serious tbh

Oh Marz.

Don't take his stuff seriously. I think I remember him saying he would skip paying rent to get SF5 & a PS4. I really hope you were joking Marz.

Beckx

This game legit looks a generation ahead of SF5. I wonder if the console version will be compromised.

It really does. The transitions, the lighting, the effects like Steve's hood coming off mid round, man this game looks great.

edit: holy shit at the texture work and lighting detail on King's cape and Kazuya's coat

Idk it sounds like something he would say

Akuma is Team Literal Translation

Oh Marz.

Don't take his stuff seriously. I think I remember him saying he would skip paying rent to get SF5 & a PS4. I really hope you were joking Marz.

"lol exposed"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom