• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

ASB isn't bad if you're a big Jojo fan and want some fanservice. If you want to play an actual good fighter with Jojo characters, the Capcom Jojo game is the way to go.

I just had a bit of money to spare and I tend to collect and research any and all fighters. I'm just a fan of the genre and like to see what stuff people have come up with over the years. Currently I just bounce from a week of one fighter to the next. Last week was BBCPE, then Nitroplus and this week I'm goin back in on Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition. I just circle through em in between bouts of TVC and Arcana Heart.

I suppose at some point I should get around to testing Blade Arcus as well, but I'll hold off awhile. Its tanking in price due to the offline only thing. Looks pretty barebones anyhow. I doubt it did much more than the basics from the vids I've seen.

At this point my house is like a fighting game archive. You'd be surprised what some of the more obscure ones tried. My god the Touhou fighter Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and its weather mechanics has to be one of the most particularly out there ones I've played. I wish Monster had gotten finalized by its original staff before some left for ASW. It looked like it had potential with its Freedom, Tranquility, Monster styles of play. Reminded my of grooves in CVS to a degree.

ASB for $5...damn I kind of want it.

Any diamond is forever impressions? They fix what was wrong with ASB?

If you're a fan of Jojo I'd say you'd have fun. The story mode is like a text wall but its voiced if that means anything. The main thing is that the cast seem like they had a LOT of care taken in their moves and body language to be accurate. I know how much Kamen Rider Chou Climax Heroes meant to me as a fanboy when I saw stuff like a character do a move that referenced something and those moments weren't even too often in that game. ASB feels like its referencing shit constantly that I dont get. If that sounds fun then its $5. Just dont expect it to be the next Guilty Gear for you is all I'm saying. Just relax, and mark out for your fandom. Its fine to do that once in awhile. Not everything has to be perfect to be fun.

GODDAMN lost soul IKing dogura in grand finals, after bracket reset by Dogura

and dogura runs two games back but lost soul wins it in 5. that match was amazing

Welp played Pokken for a few hours. Definitely feels like a more broad player base for this title, the lower ranked players probably don't even know most of the game mechanics. It gets better fast enough. Compared to SFV's launch month, the online play for this is stellar. Less than 5 seconds to find a match, out of like 50 matches I only had one bad match and one match that had a bit of stutter. You can play this coast to coast USA with no issues, it doesn't even have that noticeable delay like EXVS. Well that or maybe I don't notice it.

As for the game itself it's good. There are things you obviously will have to get used to, the damage scaling is crazy so getting a feel for the pace of the matches will take a bit. The transition between 2D and 3D combat will also be something to get a feel for. The camera moves around a lot so you can't always visually tell at a glance which mode you are in and the phase transitions go back and forth a lot. The game is great but a ton of nuances that you need to get a feel for, the more dedicated players will definitely have an advantage and be rewarded for it I imagine.

Definitely more fun than SFV. If you had to get a fighting game in the past 31 days, I sure hope it was Pokken.

Numb

ASB isn't bad if you're a big Jojo fan and want some fanservice. If you want to play an actual good fighter with Jojo characters, the Capcom Jojo game is the way to go.
I want a good fighter with all that fanservice tho
ASB for $5...damn I kind of want it.

Was given choice between ASB and a Fallout 4 mug..i chose the mug no lies
i got ASB on psn but i ain't downloading that shit again

Tripon

Cd3jvzIXEAE8ez0.jpg

Zero, get fucked.

https://twitter.com/JJtheGamerGuy/status/710974727850991620

Beckx

Welp played Pokken for a few hours. Definitely feels like a more broad player base for this title, the lower ranked players probably don't even know most of the game mechanics. It gets better fast enough. Compared to SFV's launch month, the online play for this is stellar. Less than 5 seconds to find a match, out of like 50 matches I only had one bad match and one match that had a bit of stutter. You can play this coast to coast USA with no issues, it doesn't even have that noticeable delay like EXVS. Well that or maybe I don't notice it.

As for the game itself it's good. There are things you obviously will have to get used to, the damage scaling is crazy so getting a feel for the pace of the matches will take a bit. The transition between 2D and 3D combat will also be something to get a feel for. The camera moves around a lot so you can't always visually tell at a glance which mode you are in and the phase transitions go back and forth a lot. The game is great but a ton of nuances that you need to get a feel for, the more dedicated players will definitely have an advantage and be rewarded for it I imagine.

Definitely more fun than SFV. If you had to get a fighting game in the past 31 days, I sure hope it was Pokken.

Super polished and fun game. We played for hours last night. LOL at the idea that it had less or same content as SFV. Story mode has a ton of production values and the shop (in game currency) has sooo many options.

Great game. Pikachu Libre's super is the best super of all time ever.

Sayah

I picked up the game yesterday but will start playing it next week.

Thanks for your impressions.

shaowebb

Holy shit at this Ouka combo

I knew you could extend off the witch easily because it came out so fast, but I had no idea that with Ouka you got this much off it. This is why I feel that using the assists for extensions is generally a better rule in this game than using both up simultaneously for unblockables. The damage and scaling in this game is really setup to avoid touch of death and you need any extension you can get in Nitroplus Blasterz.

BiggNife

I've been playing a bunch of Pokken and while I definitely think SFV is a better game mechanically I've still been having good fun with it

And holy shit lostconfused wasn't kidding when it comes to online

Literally takes 3 seconds to find a ranked match as opposed to 3 minutes with SFV

I've been playing a bunch of Pokken and while I definitely think SFV is a better game mechanically I've still been having good fun with it

And holy shit lostconfused wasn't kidding when it comes to online

Literally takes 3 seconds to find a ranked match as opposed to 3 minutes with SFV

Pokken looks like a lot of fun. No hawlucha still sucks, but pikachu libre looks great.

NEO0MJ

Pokken looks like a lot of fun. No hawlucha still sucks, but pikachu libre looks great.

I'm still baffled by the lack of Hitmons. You'd think that at least one of them should be part of the cast.

Rosalina as the best character in the game would make Smash 4 so boring to watch...

Considering she was untouched there's little doubt that she's the best character in the game right now. Still, she was always good but I don't think that many picked her?

Comboable seismic toss is great, Charizard might be my main. I normally don't play "gorilla" characters, but doing 200+ damage in 2-3 moves I like. Plus that tail swipe is basically like a large cr.mk in Street Fighter. Though landing the burst attack after a seismic combo only adds like 20 damage, even if it does look cool.

shaowebb

Just gonna repost this since its not something that gets mentioned often.

For those that missed it there is good news for those of you who liked Chaos Code but hated the lack of online play. The sequel Chaos Code New Sign of Catastrophe is coming to PS4 and had a bit of footage shown recently at the Taipei Game Show back in January. This game didn't get a lot of press over here but for those that didn't even know this game was happening it is and yes it has online play now.

You can see it on this screen even before they show it off

This was an ASW fighter by FK Digital that was pretty fun and had the ability like SFIV to pick one of several moves to equip before the match but unlike SFIV it wasn't just an Ultra. It was an extra special, a super and whether or not you wanted to have a run or a dash.

As far as poverty fighters go its pretty good and pretty great at tournament even.
Hikaru is pretty darned great as a rekka character. Its like Slayer with rekkas and projectiles. Hope folks try it out when it hits.

As always, thats me with your poverty fighter news reminders. ;D

The Light

Just gonna repost this since its not something that gets mentioned often.

For those that missed it there is good news for those of you who liked Chaos Code but hated the lack of online play. The sequel Chaos Code New Sign of Catastrophe is coming to PS4 and had a bit of footage shown recently at the Taipei Game Show back in January. This game didn't get a lot of press over here but for those that didn't even know this game was happening it is and yes it has online play now.

You can see it on this screen even before they show it off

This was an ASW fighter by FK Digital that was pretty fun and had the ability like SFIV to pick one of several moves to equip before the match but unlike SFIV it wasn't just an Ultra. It was an extra special, a super and whether or not you wanted to have a run or a dash.

As far as poverty fighters go its pretty good and pretty great at tournament even.
Hikaru is pretty darned great as a rekka character. Its like Slayer with rekkas and projectiles. Hope folks try it out when it hits.

Thought they were going to do a netplay update for the last version? Cool news for ps4 owners.

shaowebb

Thought they were going to do a netplay update for the last version? Cool news for ps4 owners.

I think the arcade version received continued support but the last version on consoles never got back around to updating or adding netcode. They may just be doing a full sequel as sort of a "relaunch" of the title over here without the history of the last title's lack of netplay floating around confusing folks. Word travels slow on poverty fighters and relaunching under a sequel on a new console probably had more potential for profit and brand strengthening IMO. Just a theory is all.

BiggNife

I am okay with no Hawlucha because Pikachu Libre doing a Stone Cold Stunner on a Machamp is maybe the best thing that's ever been in a videogame

My one real complaint is that the single player content isn't great. Ferrum League (the main mode) feels a lot like the first 27 rounds of so of SFV survival where you can just mash buttons at random and win. It's basically just grinding.

I am okay with no Hawlucha because Pikachu Libre doing a Stone Cold Stunner on a Machamp is maybe the best thing that's ever been in a videogame

My one real complaint is that the single player content isn't great. Ferrum League (the main mode) feels a lot like the first 27 rounds of so of SFV survival where you can just mash buttons at random and win. It's basically just grinding.

Was gonna wait for a price drop or sale before buying but I might have to rethink that.

Uraizen

Banned

Another reminder, they promised online play for the PS3 version post-launch and it never happened. I know it comes with this version, but that still annoyed me.

Saw it was discussed above, but it was promised.

Oh right also in Pokken assist summons are just armored attacks, at least some of them from the looks of it. So you can grab people out of those, like you would grab a burst or a v-reversal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom