• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Infiltration won, he got the mic and put Capcom on the spot asking for an Alex trailer. Then Haunts pretended that they had something to show, and the whole crowd sat down and got ready to watch, then they played Rashid's theme and ended the stream with an Ultrachen recap and Alex's 3S theme lol.

wow that sounds amazing. i closed the stream after infiltration won so i missed this

jbug617

Banned
Razer is suspending any new FGC sponsorship until they get their PS4 sticks ready. Current sponsored players are still good though.
https://t.co/hSjd9tFrGP
It’s with great pleasure that I’d like to announce that RZR|Infiltration has won Final Round - the first premier SF V tournament.

However, while this is a great win for Team Razer and the FGC, it has come to my attention that there was a malfunction of the fighting sticks used by RZR|Xian and RZR|Fuudo at the tournament. These malfunctions have been due to the use of our PS4 prototypes which was also the same one used by Infiltration.

The good news is that we’re committed to the FGC and can confirm that we’ve been working on PS4 products given the move of the FGC to the PS4 platform. And in this case, like every Razer product (and now it’s an open secret), we field-test them all in actual tournament gameplay by our eSports athletes as part of our validation/testing phase before we go into actual mass production. In this case, it’s provided Infiltration with the win as he was using one of our prototypes in the tournament.

The bad news however is that despite our PS4 prototype sticks working flawlessly for the past couple of months, what looks to be a firmware bug resulted in a malfunction of some our prototypes that were used by Xian & Fuudo at the tournament. Rest assured that we’ll be resolving this issue before we go into the next phase of testing and before they go into mass production.

In the light of this, we will suspend any new FGC sponsorships until the PS4 sticks are ready for production. I understand this may cause some concern as we see other corporate sponsors pulling out from the FGC at this time but rest assured we will reinstate our sponsorships for the FGC when our PS4 products are ready and of course our existing support for our players remains unaffected.

The stick malfunctions are such a complete blowup and disaster. How many of them actually cost matches?

I believe Xian was knocked to losers because of a malfunction and Fuudo was actually eliminated because of it. I know Infiltration had some trouble with the Sony verification with his during one of his matches earlier.

Also, is this a common thing?

And in this case, like every Razer product (and now it’s an open secret), we field-test them all in actual tournament gameplay by our eSports athletes as part of our validation/testing phase before we go into actual mass production.

Isn't a tourney like the last place you wouldn't wanna field test a prototype?

jbug617

Banned
The stick malfunctions are such a complete blowup and disaster. How many of them actually cost matches?

Did you see that Snake Eyez Lariat button broke off during his match with Justin?
CeBwxV2UIAA5obk.jpg
https://twitter.com/Snake_Eyez_/status/711692743312072705

MrDaravon

That Razer thing sounds kind of ridiculous, I don't even know if I believe it? Seems absurd. I mean if they are bringing out PS4 stuff finally good on them I guess, but at the same time if this is all true this is giving them a bad rep already lol. Also what's up with the line about corporate sponsors pulling out of the FGC?

That whole post is kind of bizarre.

Line_HTX

I believe Xian was knocked to losers because of a malfunction and Fuudo was actually eliminated because of it. I know Infiltration had some trouble with the Sony verification with his during one of his matches earlier.

Also, is this a common thing?

Ouch to Fuudo.

What Sony verification? There was something with the PS4? Sorry, I didn't see any of it all day like I said. I was watching Sp00ky the whole time.

VariantX

That Razer thing sounds kind of ridiculous, I don't even know if I believe it? Seems absurd. I mean if they are bringing out PS4 stuff finally good on them I guess, but at the same time if this is all true this is giving them a bad rep already lol. Also what's up with the line about corporate sponsors pulling out of the FGC?

That whole post is kind of bizarre.

Yeah, doesn't make sense for sponsors to pull out when we have more viewers tuning into FGC events than ever before. If true, it must be for reasons I'm completely unaware of.

Ouch to Fuudo.

What Sony verification? There was something with the PS4? Sorry, I didn't see any of it all day like I said. I was watching Sp00ky the whole time.

Sony re-authenticates the controller every 8 minutes or so and certain controllers like Infiltration's Razer stick would stop working as it doesn't pass the authentication.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but when I tried to use my PS3 stick on a PS4 with Titan One, I would have to keep unplugging and plugging it back in every 8 minutes so I can keep playing.

MrDaravon

Yeah, doesn't make sense for sponsors to pull out when we have more viewers tuning into FGC events than ever before. If true, it must be for reasons I'm completely unaware of.

Yeah, it almost seems like he's trying to fire shots, but I have no idea at who or what. It's so weird.

can't sell peripherals if nobody bought the game, I guess

CPT had a whole bunch of sponsors last year but it looks like this year they only have Twitch and Xsplit. Might just be companies deciding to sponsor individual events/players, though.

Line_HTX

Sony re-authenticates the controller every 8 minutes or so and certain controllers like Infiltration's Razer stick would stop working as it doesn't pass the authentication.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but when I tried to use my PS3 stick on a PS4 with Titan One, I would have to keep unplugging and plugging it back in every 8 minutes so I can keep playing.

Wow, that's a terrible way of checking if it has a super short interval.

Damn the Capcom Fighters youtube has the top 8 and I believe all the top 128 today already. They also updated the standings on their pro tour site. They're working fast I see

Tripon

can't sell peripherals if nobody bought the game, I guess

CPT had a whole bunch of sponsors last year but it looks like this year they only have Twitch and Xsplit. Might just be companies deciding to sponsor individual events/players, though.

Capcom added sponsors as the year rolled by. Now that Final Round proved to be a rating success, they'll be able to recruit more companies.

Why doesn't CFN link to the premier tournaments on twitch? You would think that would have been an obvious thing to implement if they wanted to get bigger in esports.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It was a mess last year as well. I talked to someone about it that was on staff but I guess nobody listened to the person I spoke too if they had a retrospective about how everything went. It's good Jebailey is saying something though because real criticism of how events run never gets real traction and so there's no mechanism for improvement.

Last year, I wrote a novel of improvements that needed to be made and had a ton of correspondence with Larry in the days following FR. It's crushing to see some of those fundamental issues still present. Pool assignments not finalized until the early AM on the day of pools. Pool schedule posted nowhere until the day of pools. Literally NO rules posted for ANY game ANYWHERE (website, facebook event description, etc). Drove 12 hours to the event without knowing that legacy controllers are banned for SF5? Welp, your loss.

The fact that I didn't know which games I was supposed to stream on each day until the morning of those respective days is just bonkers. I still don't understand how the official Tekken stream basically showed up to the event unannounced (to the rest of us on the stream team); they were nowhere on the internal schedule and ended up bumping me out of where I was planned to be on Saturday. I'm not really upset about it since they scrambled to give me something that was still worth watching (and that I was happy to stream), and it actually ended up being more logistically convenient for me since I didn't have to move my setup from one room to another as originally planned, but it's just incredible that it even happened.

You can't really blame much of it on the size of the SF5 tournament, either. The core issues are basically proper communication and delegation. Pool assignments for different games were mostly handled by different people, and I don't think there was much coordination to prevent people playing in multiple games from having to be in two pools in different ballrooms at the same time... And I still for the life of me can't understand why some pre-registrants were moved from one pool to another very early Saturday morning. I had originally requested other staff to put me in 8AM pools for SF5 so that I could be done with it by the time I had to start streaming. Larry did that for me. Then pools were handed off to another staff member for finalization very, very late on Friday night. He moved me to a 10AM pool in SF5 for some reason (which happened to be the same time I was scheduled to play in Marvel). So, I had to wake up at 6:30 AM so that I could find him and get that fixed before the morning staff meeting started. And I was only sharp enough to get this done because I'm on staff and am fortunate(?) enough to have a glimpse at how messy some of this stuff is and how proactive you need to be in order to wade through it. Some players, through no fault of their own, ended up going to sleep Friday night thinking they were in a later pool, only to wake up and be informed that they're now in an 8AM pool that they can't get to in time... Why is that happening?

It's exhausting. I don't even like to post this stuff publicly because I feel like it just feeds the internet drama machine more than it actually helps. But I tried to level with the higher-ups about this in private last year and I don't think it did much of any good.

Sayad

From Razer perspective, a tournament environment is like a stress test, it's something you want to do to make sure everything works right, of course this is the last thing a competitive player want to do.

VariantX

Couldn't they simulate that environment via casual sets or money matches instead of during the actual tournament?

Doesn't seem to be fair at all to the players who put countless hours into advancing their skill and knowledge to have them test prototype equipment that fails on them at the most important time.

Line_HTX

For those of you who were glued to CapcomFighters, you missed TTT2's Swan Song tournament...

Eh, I was already over it at this point. I find myself watching Tekken 7 more now than Tag 2.

I loved Tag 2, but it had a great run. Lots of fun times and countless hours of learning new things were had.

Eh, I was already over it at this point. I find myself watching Tekken 7 more now than Tag 2.

I loved Tag 2, but it had a great run. Lots of fun times and countless hours of learning new things were had.

So did you watch GF? Because that was pretty much on Par with USFIV's GFs at Evo last year without the stick malfunction.

From Razer perspective, a tournament environment is like a stress test, it's something you want to do to make sure everything works right, of course this is the last thing a competitive player want to do.

Testing it in a regular tourney or a local tourney seems fine. But doing it for a premiere event seems like the last place a player (or manufacturer in case of error) would want to "test" something

Yeah if you have about an hour to kill the TTT2 Grand Finals is very worth the watch.

Don't really watch Tekken, but I'll give this a watch tomorrow. Thanks!

Razer is suspending any new FGC sponsorship until they get their PS4 sticks ready. Current sponsored players are still good though.

Damn. Skilletor and I were just talking about this in the stick thread earlier today. I had a feeling they were going to suspend/drop the team until they either figured out their sticks or if they decided to pull out completely.

It's not like this hasn't happened before either. EVO 2015 GFs was the worst possibly place for a malfunction. Glad they are finally taking it more serious.

honestly this would help a ton i think.

I mean, this was talked about in this thread a long time ago. I honestly thought it was so obvious. It doesn't make sense to make CFN a hub, but not include that. Maybe they genuinely thought the playstyle indicator was more important for esports? I don't know...

more details regarding street fighter crash (taken from r/kappa)
Still no coverage on Street Fighter Crash on any of the main fighting game sites. Scratch that, the big 2. Iplaywinner covered it.

vocab

Anyhopes of capcom implementing anything useful or forward thinking ideas in SF anytime soon is kind of a lost cause.

Anne

This is super smart. I imagine TO's probably are really afraid of losing a not insignificant amount of money/players from having emergency registration, but having no on-site registration allows them to get their shit in order ahead of time and is probably a million times better experience for everyone actually competing.

From the TOs I've worked with and others I've talked to, it's normally not something you have to do for money reasons, you do it because it's a thing the community has done and you wanna be the nice guys if you can handle it. If SFV is going to push these numbers and threaten to throw 200 players in on late reg, yeah no reason to have late reg. It's asking for trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom