• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

OySVfuH.png

Prelim NCR schedule

Tripon

I just noticed that NCR has MKX has a Sat night game, with only top 4 played. Wow, does nobody play that game in Norcal?

BadWolf

Lots of new KOFXIV footage here from the Korean event: https://www.youtube.com/user/KofTheMania/videos

Cross posting my impressions of the game's mechanics so far, they are doing some interesting things:

There are some pretty big changes going on for sure.

The drive cancel system may have been removed but now ground bounce and the universal wall bounce (which functions differently from the Counter Wire that just a few characters in XIII had) have been added. These systems should make combos interesting both outside of and while in max mode. Wall bounce max mode combos should be pretty sweet, especially when combined with ground bounce, Advanced Cancels etc.

What's really interesting about the system changes in XIV is how the overall flow of battle and damage will change due to how meter usage works now.

There is quite a bit that you can do with just 1 power bar now:

1. Guardcancel rolls and blowbacks.
2. Max mode combos.
3. Raw activation for up to 5 or so EX moves.
4. Super.
5. Super cancels.

Rush combos will mostly be used by beginners, for anyone above that level it would be a complete waste of meter. This is how I expect players to use 1 power bar:

Beginner: Rush combo
Intermediate: Normals > special > super
Advanced: Normals > max mode > normals > EX moves > super

That is quite the difference in damage. What the advanced player in particular can do is pretty beefy for just 1 power bar.

So overall due to the removal of cancel systems and due to the way meter consumption now works, it seems the long combos from XIII will be gone and instead replaced with more abundant mid-sized combos.

A very important change with the change in cost of super cancels (i.e. there is no additional cost aside from needing 1 bar for the super) is that raw super canceling has become a whole lot more dangerous.

In particular, the risk of jumping has been increased by quite a bit. In XIII the risk/reward favored the jumper (if he hits then he gets a big combo, if he gets anti-aired then he usually eats very little damge) but in XIV the balance has shifted with the defending player being given a bigger opportunity to punish. Imo invincible anti-airs/reversals into super cancels will be a pretty big factor in XIV.

BiggNife

Yeah, I think MK has always been mostly an east coast thing. ECT last year was basically an MKX tournament first and foremost because they didn't have the CPT sponsorship and I think it had similar turnout to USF4.

destructoid wrote a piece on jebailey's final round callout
http://www.destructoid.com/ceo-gaming-s-alex-jebailey-slams-final-round-19-349896.phtml

not sure if it was necessary for jebailey to publicly criticise final round when he could've done so privately and with this article it's just gonna create unnecessary fgc drama.

why is destructoid getting in on this lol

someone call kotaku so I can get their opinion too

good stuff to jebailey tho, i'm surprised he didn't say "if you want a better tournament experience, please come to community effort orlando June 24-25, we promise it'll be better than FR" with a picture of his bobblehead

Kumubou

destructoid wrote a piece on jebailey's final round callout
http://www.destructoid.com/ceo-gaming-s-alex-jebailey-slams-final-round-19-349896.phtml

not sure if it was necessary for jebailey to publicly criticise final round when he could've done so privately and with this article it's just gonna create unnecessary fgc drama.
I'm about 90% sure Jebailey has tried to address this in private to no avail. He's not the only one, either -- take a look at sixfortyfive's post in the FRXIX thread here.

FR having logistics issues had been a known issue for years.

game journos have to write like a dozen articles a day so if they can just copypaste jebailey's rant then they're going to do that. All destructoid needed to do was write that one sentence about asking FR for comment

This whole mess kind of makes me think that a good number of the 1000+ people who registered for SFV won't be back for it next year.

Tripon

game journos have to write like a dozen articles a day so if they can just copypaste jebailey's rant then they're going to do that. All destructoid needed to do was write that one sentence about asking FR for comment

This whole mess kind of makes me think that a good number of the 1000+ people who registered for SFV won't be back for it next year.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/razer-street-fighter-5-ps4-fight-sticks-malfunctio/1100-6435855/
Or on gamespot's case, you make an article based on a neogaf's thread...

if final round is consistently run poorly, and attempts have been made to inform those in charge. Calling out publicly makes sense to me

I did however hear Larry at the end of SFV say he was gonna get a bigger venue. The question is though did Jebaily talk to Larry about it in the past and he did not listen. If so he's in the right.

It really is only Capcom and Nintendo games on Sunday.

Not even anime or KI can get an early Sunday finals.

Congrats dude, when will you be giving interviews and becoming eatsports.

Im signing a sponsorship deal with Food Network right now.

Please be excited for New Jersey's own FN | skLaFarebear.

don't worry guys i'm sure some other media is going to report on the breaking records of attendance and aspects of the community like the killtron matches! you know the positives!.

any minute now.

BiggNife

don't worry guys i'm sure some other media is going to report on the breaking records of attendance and aspects of the community like the killtron matches! you know the positives!.

any minute now.

Well I mean

Negative stuff gets more clicks than positive stuff, it's not rocket science

And it's not like this is relegated to the FGC, you don't see articles about how huge Dota 2 tournaments are now, you just see a lot of attention when Gabe Newell goes out of his way to fire people for doing a shitty job

notworksafe

any minute now.

in this day and age a game tournament having a lot of people coming is not news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom