• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinMaruku

Don't think Jebailey is white. I think he is Middle Eastern descent from Canada.
Still remember Jebailey versus TSB. It was funny for a little while during CEOtaku.

edit: I see Spooky responded to the Destructoid article. Just said Jebailey has to be ready for his tournament and if he is not it could be a humbling experience.

Jebaily is I think Syian or something like that. It's in his name. :)

petghost

Banned
Damnit, that never crossed my mind...

D:

probably because its incredibly irrelevant...a dude went to an event and didnt like what he saw. he happens to be another TO so maybe he is just stealthily bragging about how his tournaments run but i doubt it and i highly doubt it has to do with race man.

QONVIyz.gif

MrDaravon

To be somewhat fair though sp00ky has said multiple times in the past he's super tight with ShinBlanka/BigE and that whole crew (he credits one of those two for giving him his big streaming start, forget which), so while I honestly don't think he would lie or cover for people or anything he's going to be a bit biased here full stop.

Regardless of anything else, how he's coming across, and how accurate his statements are or not Jebailey has ultimately painted the biggest target on his back for his own events. You can make damn sure any sort of even minor issues are going to have a certain group of people posting all about it on social media. Even though I think Jebailey was probably in the right calling this out given how apparently lots of people have spoken to them privately about this stuff for years and how FR seems to have shit problems every year, his ego's probably going to bite him in the ass here.

they need to get that smash guy who said he could run a 64 man bracket rawdog

don't bother asking keits or jebailey how they run their brackets, get the secrets from that dude

Hopefully we will finally see some decent level of play.

SNK also announced that they will have an event for players to try the game out a few days before the tournament.

Yeah as someone who's still a little worried about the speed of hops and jumps I'd like to see how hop pressure looks in XIV and that requires players who can hop consistently in the first place.

Tripon

Did Capcom keep the same rules for repeat CPT Premiere winners as last year?
Changed it. Only first place can earn Capcom Cup premier spot. If a previous winner wins again, then the premier spot becomes an open spot determined by most global points.

Changed it. Only first place can earn Capcom Cup premier spot. If a previous winner wins again, then the premier spot becomes an open spot determined by most global points.

They should have changed the point system too. Instead of it being 256, 128, 64, and so on, it should be 256, 192, 128, 96, 64, and so on. Same with EVO. Instead of it being 1024, 512, 256, and so on, it should have been 1024, 768, 512, 384, 256, and so on. The higher placing player always getting double the amount of points is too top heavy and it doesn't distance premier events from ranking events enough.

Prioritizing ranking events > premier events was already the smarter choice last year and with less premier events this year, more ranking events this year, the new rule described above, and premier events only giving you global points, the choice to attend ranking events is much easier.

I thought Jebailey wasn't white.

Anyways, I don't under stand spooky point kinda. Is it a threat? Some volunteers are going to quit? He works them too hard? People are going to boycott?

It seems like Jebailey is coming from an angle that mistakes happen, but you gotta correct them and learn from past mistakes and use the resources that are available to plan better.

idk, seems people don't like that he kept it real and honest (from his big ego and opinion of course). Unless it came from a place of animosity (if him and shin have some kind of issue), seems just like negative feedback. I thought FGC liked keeping it real ;) I just want FR to be the best it can be.

Tripon

They should have changed the point system too. Instead of it being 256, 128, 64, and so on, it should be 256, 192, 128, 96, 64, and so on. Same with EVO. Instead of it being 1024, 512, 256, and so on, it should have been 1024, 768, 512, 384, 256, and so on. The higher placing player always getting double the amount of points is too top heavy and it doesn't distance premier events from ranking events enough.

Prioritizing ranking events > premier events was already the smarter choice last year and with less premier events this year, more ranking events this year, the new rule described above, and premier events only giving you global points, the choice to attend ranking events is much easier.
I think Capcom wants people to attend these smaller ranking events. Like Combo Breaker is a premier in all but name only. It should have been a premier. But at least the current structure encourages people to go to Combo Breaker.

Malice215

Final Round's problems have been around for years. Hasn't stopped the majority of people from going this year. Won't stop the majority of people from going next year.

If airing out problems publicly actually worked, then SRK's forums wouldn't look like a hot mess still. I just hope that some good comes out of all of this.

Anne

Oi, if anybody here knows any of the higher up FR staff please pass along that I'm looking for people to contact about what happened. My twitter is open and so is my email,. Just check @AnneP4U on twitter, my email is there.

Having a hard time getting a hold of certain people so making a last ditch here.

CurlyW

Worth mentioning that FR and CEO aren't really in competition, since they're 3 months apart. If anything, the success of one helps the other. Hence Jebailey probably wants Final Round to be well run, since it means first-time FGC major attendees will be more likely to attend another fighting game tournament, possibly one at the end of June that's also in the southeastern United States.

I agree that Jebailey's post does put more pressure on CEO to be well-run, and any small mistake will be pounced upon by detractors. That said, Jebailey's already decided that for the first time in CEO's history, pools will start on Friday for high-attendance games (and in doing this, he will raise the cap for events up from 512 entrants, which he had to put in place last year to keep Smash 4 at a manageable size).

Jebaily is I think Syian or something like that. It's in his name. :)

Lebanese, for the record.

Agreed. Capcom Pro Tour should use more of a Formula One-style point system. As it is, being a consistent top placer is not enough if you don't win an event. If I had the time and energy, I'd revisit last year's CPT results to see how it would look under a point system more like what you or I suggest. Hopefully somebody does.

kirblar

I think Capcom wants people to attend these smaller ranking events. Like Combo Breaker is a premier in all but name only. It should have been a premier. But at least the current structure encourages people to go to Combo Breaker.
Smaller ranking events are now part of the regional CPT- NA, LA, Asia, Europe. Hitting those up gets you to the regional CPT finals, and there are no auto-invites, it's all points. Top level players definitely have incentive to hit up a bunch.

Really appreciate Jebailey putting his neck out there on this one. Speaking of CEO- anyone have extra space in a room or looking for extras to split costs? I have relatives in the area but I'd prefer not to have to be shuttled at midnight each night and wake them up, since one of them works as a nurse with premie babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom