• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just really hope Larry does get a new venue next year. It's just too freaking cramped at FR. And that has nothing to do with SFV setting attendance records. For that game they only run 8 pools every 2 hours. Basically their should only be 128 people there at a time and those 128 people are being crammed in maybe 1/5th of the ball room that isn't even that big to begin with. It's just such a giant cluster fuck of people. And it gets very hot and smelly because of that.

I'll admit, my experience when it comes to "Majors" is very limited. My experience might be similar to the experience you'll get at any major. I've only been to 3 with those 3 being EVO, FR, and TFC. EVO is amazing when it comes to space as we all know. I was like a kid at a candy store running around watching pool play from top players. TFC wasn't as bad as FR from what I remember. This is my 3rd FR and it's always been this way since I first went in 2012. If this is the way it is almost everywhere then I guess I just have to deal with it because EVO will be the only one where I can actually leave my seat after playing a pool match.

I can deal with the rest of the mess, I just want to be comfortable while I'm there. I really hope Larry can come through with something bigger next year. You know what, I'll just say it. If he can't do that then cut the smaller games and give more space to SFV players.....err I mean everybody else.

kirblar

Did the Asian players actually use any hidden tech at FR?

The jump/tech OS was already widely known, and I don't recall any character-specific thing that was new. Tokido abusing Ryu's j.LK was interesting but it seems like a bunch of people already knew about that too.

I mean, Infiltration won with backdashing as far as I could tell
j.LP and saving meter for Super every time w/ Ryu wasn't "tech", but those strats definitely weren't common knowledge, at least not in the US.
Thought srk had a bunch of writers? It has been a long time since I've actually read anything on the front page tho.
SRK exists basically to publish press releases for EVO at this point.

MrDaravon

Why is AJ all of a sudden pushing for Combo Breaker to be a Premier event? I don't disagree, but seems super random, and he's also talking about FR being water under the bridge at this point so I don't know if this is some sort of weird deflection thing or if something came up with CB I'm just not aware of?

vocab

j.LP and saving meter for Super every time w/ Ryu wasn't "tech", but those strats definitely weren't common knowledge, at least not in the US.
The culmination of information for capcom fighting games is poor in general. I don't really expect it to change anytime soon. People will just think random videos, small chats, and ghost town srk discussions is enough to level up a country when its not.

The jump/tech OS was already widely known, and I don't recall any character-specific thing that was new. Tokido abusing Ryu's j.LK was interesting but it seems like a bunch of people already knew about that too.

Asia is going to get even stronger man. Right now they haven't gotten much Sim practice, but YHC Mochi just started playing SFV 2 weeks ago. The same is true for a lot of other characters.

The number of talented players in Asia just far exceeds that of the US. The US scene is just going to have to hold that. It won't change even if US bands together.

vulva

Asia is going to get even stronger man. Right now they haven't gotten much Sim practice, but YHC Mochi just started playing SFV 2 weeks ago. The same is true for a lot of other characters.

The number of talented players in Asia just far exceeds that of the US. The US scene is just going to have to hold that. It won't change even if US bands together.

torimeshi been playing sim out there too to help with the practice

torimeshi been playing sim out there too to help with the practice

Yeah, he and PPN. However last year in SF4 they had access to 3 of the best Sims in SF4 with Torimeshi, YHC Mochi, and Darui. Now YHC Mochi is playing SFV so there's a better chance they run into him online or practice ft10s with. Uryo is playing Chun right now, but because of work hasn't been able to reach a level that he can and wants to be at. As time goes on he will get stronger. There's just a lot of top talent over in Asia so their online pool of players is just much stiffer and provides better practice. I think Chun is a great example of the kind of practice Japan or Asia will get. Nuki, Sako, Uryo, GO1, MOV, Tonpy, RF, and a couple of others are all playing Chun. Who mains Chun in the US? Ricki, Ludovic, crackfiend, and filipinoman? Those are all great players, but I don't think they're collectively on the same level as the that Chun army available for practice in Asia.

I saw a SFV replay of Vangief. I think the US could use a big gief talent like him back in the scene.

It's especially a bad look when Noel was calling out NY for trying to hide tech from each other before the tournament, and I think he was referring to Arturo.

Though to be honest I don't think US did as bad as they would have in any iteration of SF4. None of the US players could've beaten Tokido or Infiltration, but Xian/Fuudo/Bonchan/Poongko/Kazunoko were all eliminated before top 8 (Razer assist helped), and if the brackets worked out differently and Justin/Ricki/Fchamp/Snakeeyez were in the top 8, I think any of them could have had a good chance of getting 3rd.

Rhapsody

Banned
So I was persuaded to get Discord. Anyone want to secretly send me the link to the server to where all the cool people are hanging out?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Just reading the whole Jebailey thing. Having gone to both FR this year and CEO last year and planning to go again this year, I can assure you that Jebailey knows how to make a better atmosphere for players to enjoy themselves. Although, I hear ComboBreaker is a tournament for the players to have fun and relax. I spoke to TheHadou and told him who I was and mentioned you CurlyW, he doesn't remember me ;-; (so I'll have to blow him up in whatever game he plays).

Aside from that, the ballroom was basically a run down studio apartment with 20 people trying to fit in. Not only that, every person, yes every, I spoke to complained about the spacing, delays and pools. This one guy I spoke with dealt with it hard, he has 8 pm pools so he decided to sleep in and did not realize that they had updated the pools at 2 am (luckily I was awake at that time to know when my pool started). Ended up being eliminated and no one was reprimanded for these unorganized and irresponsible actions. A few folks wanted Jebailey to tell Shin privately but people have tried beforehand and if you can't get it right after 19 years, its more on the TO's end to fix his shit. Jebailey is a start and I hope this reaction is more publicly done to call out tournaments that are a clusterfuck so we can improve the quality of tournaments and let everyone have a great time playing games.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
This is blowing my mind, seems like nobody knew anything from what pools people are in to when the hell stuff is supposed to even start.

Apparently the decision to use smash.gg was extremely last-minute. I've been told from someone in the know, who I'm not going to name, that basically the only time they had to familiarize themselves with the registration/pools system was 25 minutes during Thursday night before FR.

Like... We do more prep work for our local tournaments than that.

Just to give my experience at FR.

I have to been to many, many EVOs and SCRs. This was my first FR. Was just there on Sat/Sun for SFV.

I just felt overall it was very disorganized. Nobody knew what was going on it seems. People would go up to bracket runners and ask about brackets. Some would be like, just check the website man. And people would tell them it is not up there. They would just shrug their shoulders. While standing around waiting (everything was an hour late), tons of people were bitching about everything setup and bracket related (and equipment layout, which I will get to later).

- Not enough stations. 2 for each pool seems low. Everybody was like wtf.
- The stations were way too close to each other. I was getting bumped while playing. There was no way to get out if other people were playing still. I am pretty sure I bumped other people. There was no back way in, because people were standing along the back wall blocking everything. I don't know why it was set up this way. Plus having stations next to main entrance, clogging that up. They should had taken those middle seats out.
- There was not even enough space to wait around your bracket to check in and wait for your match. So packed.
- No bracket times. Updating them late in the first place. Hard to see label stations). Not a great website. That thing needs as an update.

Those were the main things. There were other little things. I though the sound from the main stage screen wasn't that good. They should had dimmed the lights for Finals. The way the rows were set-up on Finals day.

I did love the arcade machine lobby. Played tons of SC2, haha. And I had decent fun on Sunday. Matches were great, but something was missing for me.

Overall, I didn't really think it was that great for a casual tourney goer. They new the number approximates from pre-reg. I don't know why they didn't plan better.

Apparently the decision to use smash.gg was extremely last-minute. I've been told from someone in the know, who I'm not going to name, that basically the only time they had to familiarize themselves with the registration/pools system was 25 minutes during Thursday night before FR.

Like... We do more prep work for our local tournaments than that.

That just sounds ludicrous. Were you told why they choose to go with smash.gg so late in the process?

Anne

2 stations per pool is what we use for 16 man pools. That is completely fine with a competent bracket runner and decent organization. You really need those last 2 things though.

We're hoping to put out an article on the Final Round stuff today on SRK, so please keep an eye out since the plan is to go into detail and talk about what happened. As far as results recaps go, that hasn't been a thing on SRK ever, but I can start doing pitches and writing them in depth since I probably know a lot more about what is going on than somebody at ESPN. The issue on that front is honestly SRK doesn't have the resources to consistently pump out stuff like that, so somebody would need to step it up personally. There are some more in depth things we might talk about later this week, but we'll see how that shakes out.

Sixfortyfive

As far as the FR postmortem goes, I was really only exhausted and frustrated during the event. Seeing some of the excuses that have come out afterward though (mostly from players, not the staff, btw) has made me legitimately *angry* about everything. Things are never going to improve if people let that kind of shit slide.

Nuu

Banned
Is SRK still relevant? Their forums used to be very active five years ago or so and were THE go-to place for fighting fans during the 2000s, but it seems like due to the Fighting Game Renaissance being led by mostly games not from Capcom, their users/potential users branched out to individual forums for their games leaving the site dry.

Sixfortyfive

Is SRK still relevant? Their forums used to be very active five years ago or so and were THE go-to place for fighting fans during the 2000s, but it seems like due to the Fighting Game Renaissance being led by mostly games not from Capcom, their users/potential users branched out to individual forums for their games leaving the site dry.

They killed their own forums and that had nothing to do with it.

There was a LONG stretch of time where they were basically nonfunctional, and plagued with Flash ads that played sound. It was literally the one reason why I installed adblock. It drove a ton of people away. They also broke a ton of threads when porting over from one kind of forum software to another.

Couple that with the rise of social media and the place just died out.

Seyavesh

They killed their own forums and that had nothing to do with it.

There was a LONG stretch of time where they were basically nonfunctional, and plagued with Flash ads that played sound. It was literally the one reason why I installed adblock. It drove a ton of people away. They also broke a ton of threads when porting over from one kind of forum software to another.

Couple that with the rise of social media and the place just died out.

yeah the srk forums basically stopped working for like nearly 2 years in a semi-formative era (2012-2013) where things were starting to really blow up
and after that point it seems like everyone just moved over to facebook and that was it

hmmm....do I want to try and learn UNIEL before Combo Breaker...5 games might be rough for me. I fucked up bad at winter brawl swapping between persona and blazblue

Dahbomb

2 stations per pool is what we use for 16 man pools. That is completely fine with a competent bracket runner and decent organization. You really need those last 2 things though.

We're hoping to put out an article on the Final Round stuff today on SRK, so please keep an eye out since the plan is to go into detail and talk about what happened. As far as results recaps go, that hasn't been a thing on SRK ever, but I can start doing pitches and writing them in depth since I probably know a lot more about what is going on than somebody at ESPN. The issue on that front is honestly SRK doesn't have the resources to consistently pump out stuff like that, so somebody would need to step it up personally. There are some more in depth things we might talk about later this week, but we'll see how that shakes out.
Good.

CurlyW

Also worth noting that all four of those articles (ESPN, Red Bull, DailyDot, and The Score) only talk about the SFV tournament at Final Round, with a main focus on the Top 8 instead of earlier rounds. Meanwhile, SRK at least makes an attempt to get the results for all the games at these tournaments. (Maybe EH too, but I haven't been there in years.) Just saying it's easier to write up a long recap when you're only focusing on one event instead of several, and focusing on a Top 8 instead of a Top 128.

Anne

Also worth noting that all four of those articles (ESPN, Red Bull, DailyDot, and The Score) only talk about the SFV tournament at Final Round, with a main focus on the Top 8 instead of earlier rounds. Meanwhile, SRK at least makes an attempt to get the results for all the games at these tournaments. (Maybe EH too, but I haven't been there in years.) Just saying it's easier to write up a long recap when you're only focusing on one event instead of several, and focusing on a Top 8 instead of a Top 128.

In all fairness, that is where the money is for these particular sites.

Thought srk had a bunch of writers? It has been a long time since I've actually read anything on the front page tho.

In all seriousness it's a very small team of 4~ people with duties split up pretty heavily. Why I said I could maybe pitch it, but between what SRK already does it's a bit hard.

MrDaravon

As far as the FR postmortem goes, I was really only exhausted and frustrated during the event. Seeing some of the excuses that have come out afterward though (mostly from players, not the staff, btw) has made me legitimately *angry* about everything. Things are never going to improve if people let that kind of shit slide.

Dunno if we're talking/thinking about the same thing, but I 100% agree. FR has been kind of a shitshow for years, there's tons of complaints every single year, and there's multiple verified accounts of folks speaking with staff privately about it and this still happens. I agree that Jebailey could have handled things better for sure if he was going to do a public letter about it, but I am incredibly disappointed in certain people like Art, sp00ky etc basically taking Larry's side and either taking passive aggressive potshots at Jebailey and saying it should have been brought up privately which it has been for years to no effect.

Looking in this very thread, on reddit, on Facebook, etc there are a LOT of highly specific complaints from people, including notable and known players/sponsors (the Winterfox COO was NOT happy lol) saying that this always happens, this is the last time they're going, or this was their first tournament and it was awful/got DQ'd etc, and I think that last part seems to be what set Jebailey off. We are way past the point of this stuff needing to get out there really publicly because if we want the scene to grow it needs to be a welcoming and good experience for new players. SFV is blowing things up which is great, but as the first Premier event for that game with blowout attendance to have it be a trainwreck is a bad look for everyone, and it honestly upsets me that certain players/streamers are trying to give it a pass and/or give Jebailey shit for saying anything publicly. I unsubbed from two twitch channels I've been subbed on for years as a result of some very sad and disappointing to see comments towards Jebailey going public with this. Incredibly disappointed in some folks, like honestly sad.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Dunno if we're talking/thinking about the same thing, but I 100% agree. FR has been kind of a shitshow for years, there's tons of complaints every single year, and there's multiple verified accounts of folks speaking with staff privately about it and this still happens. I agree that Jebailey could have handled things better for sure if he was going to do a public letter about it, but I am incredibly disappointed in certain people like Art, sp00ky etc basically taking Larry's side and either taking passive aggressive potshots at Jebailey and saying it should have been brought up privately which it has been for years to no effect.

Looking in this very thread, on reddit, on Facebook, etc there are a LOT of highly specific complaints from people, including notable and known players/sponsors (the Winterfox COO was NOT happy lol) saying that this always happens, this is the last time they're going, or this was their first tournament and it was awful/got DQ'd etc, and I think that last part seems to be what set Jebailey off. We are way past the point of this stuff needing to get out there really publicly because if we want the scene to grow it needs to be a welcoming and good experience for new players. SFV is blowing things up which is great, but as the first Premier event for that game with blowout attendance to have it be a trainwreck is a bad look for everyone, and it honestly upsets me that certain players/streamers are trying to give it a pass and/or give Jebailey shit for saying anything publicly. I unsubbed from two twitch channels I've been subbed on for years as a result of some very sad and disappointing to see comments towards Jebailey going public with this. Incredibly disappointed in some folks, like honestly sad.

Yea it's unfortunate that for many people FR19 was their first and last tournament due to the state of it.

Sixfortyfive

I am incredibly disappointed in certain people like Art, sp00ky etc basically taking Larry's side and either taking passive aggressive potshots at Jebailey and saying it should have been brought up privately which it has been for years to no effect.

The most comical thing about this is that I'm 99% sure that Larry won't even take "Larry's side." He'll at least own up to his fuck-ups. (Whether or not things get fixed remains to be seen.)

I'm sure he's not too thrilled about Jebailey's input in particular, though.

Renekton

There was also MP to combat the shimmy, but not a secret I guess.

MrDaravon

The most comical thing about this is that I'm 99% sure that Larry won't even take "Larry's side." He'll at least own up to his fuck-ups. (Whether or not things get fixed remains to be seen.)

I'm sure he's not too thrilled about Jebailey's input in particular, though.

Yeah, in general from what I've seen and heard Larry is a pretty cool dude, which if true makes it extra sad that this shit keeps happening.

Would like to reiterate how incredibly glad FR didn't wind up being my first tournament >_>

Tripon

So I was finally able to check out AJ's tweets (FGc manager of Evil Geniuses). Best I can tell why he is pumping up Combo Breaker is because Rick "The Hadou" Thiler runs it and he's basically the best/most experienced TO in the game right now. He works for EVO/CEO/etc. Managing those tournaments. He is also the Tao for the Wizard World cons that just started running FGC games in Portland and in a couple of weeks will be in St. Louis.

I did chuckle at people claiming that Combo Breaker year after year providing excellent tourney experiences because last year was the first year. USGT was a separate series of tournaments run by Kiets. I know Combo Breaker and USGT share the same staff for the.most part, but there was a reason why The Hadou went with a new name, and I think we should respect that.

notworksafe

stopped using srk when one of the regional board mods merged our city fgc thread with the thread of two other NM cities and mixed up all the posts. right after that they changed board software and none of the links worked anymore so we just all migrated to our own forum.

I tried to use SRK a year ago to find people playing fight games in Jersey before I found out they all moved to Facebook. I should finally start going to weeklies/local tournies now that I'm taking fighting games more seriously.

Line_HTX

Looking forward to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom