• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cloth physics in SFV look fine for the most part, Chun Li's dress or Bison's coat all look pretty good. Nothing egregious like the capes in Injustice.

Laura's hair being a lego hairpiece is probably the worst part, but stuff like Mika's ponytails really shouldn't be clipping like they are. I realize there are horsepower constraints on the PS4 which don't allow this stuff to be modeled, but I hope someone figures out a way to do it on PC (I know Capcom isn't going to bother). That mod is way more important to me than the nude mods.

Infinite

Kaz is under 30, but he's getting there, not exactly new blood.

Between the arcade scene being harder to break into for new players than playing online at home, and the lack of interest in home consoles in Japan, it's really not looking good for them.

Seems like that's an issue the country has with everything.

The cloth physics in SFV look fine for the most part, Chun Li's dress or Bison's coat all look pretty good. Nothing egregious like the capes in Injustice.

Laura's hair being a lego hairpiece is probably the worst part, but stuff like Mika's ponytails really shouldn't be clipping like they are. I realize there are horsepower constraints on the PS4 which don't allow this stuff to be modeled, but I hope someone figures out a way to do it on PC (I know Capcom isn't going to bother). That mod is way more important to me than the nude mods.

Vega's hair when it gets stuck on his shoulder and just jitters non-stop makes me cry.

Messiah

I don't even mind the clipping ingame so much but seeing Rashids turban clipping in character select on player 1 side ...
Like they didn't even put enough effort into that pre baked animation.

Tripon

What went wrong with Final Round http://shoryuken.com/2016/03/22/bey...aise-questions-about-tournament-organization/

Most everybody should know by now but that's the entire story I heard from multiple staff members, can't get too specific for reasons.

Fantastic article. It's crazy how even if the numbers for SFV weren't high, they still would've run into a significant number of issues.

I'm also kind of shocked how this large a tourney being run had such little communication between the staff workers and the TO, and the staff and the players. It seems like FR wasn't fully prepared to host the tourney, and the problems only continued to snowball with the number of players increasing and with time.

Anne

Things I took away:

On site reg gives a lot of headaches.
Why use Smash.GG at the last second.
No chain of command?
Everybody was for themselves when the actual event was running.

Whatever chain of command existed went out the fucking window as far as I was told. Really should've put more emphasis on the schedule thing. That is actually a huge factor.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Whatever chain of command existed went out the fucking window as far as I was told. Really should've put more emphasis on the schedule thing. That is actually a huge factor.

Pool assignments got changed early on the day of the tournament.

You could be pre-registered, find your pool assignment on Friday night, go to sleep, then wake up in the morning and have missed your pool because it got changed to 8AM while you were asleep.

notworksafe

Final Round stuff just sounds like a blow up because of a blow up because of a blow up, etc.

Small venue plus poor communication with the volunteer team plus all the schedule stuff plus pools made in a vacuum (BIG ISSUE) plus on site reg plus an apathetic staff because they weren't properly given marching orders is just bad news from every angle.

To be honest I think Larry and crew deserve props for making this thing work at all. It sounds like they were driving a car with three wheels in a race. Good on them for crossing the finish line this year but I hope they realize all the work they'll need to do to get next year running correctly.

Anne, thanks for writing this. With all the stuff coming out of FR this year (good and bad) it's good to have someone focusing on the question of "how do we internalize this and improve for the next time?" (next time meaning "next major" not "next Final Round". Every TO can learn a lesson here) rather than just focusing on drama.

shaowebb

Pool assignments got changed early on the day of the tournament.

You could be pre-registered, find your pool assignment on Friday night, go to sleep, then wake up in the morning and have missed your pool because it got changed to 8AM while you were asleep.

Geez... thats absolutely horrible. Travel, hotel, food, entry fees and then that happens? Thats a pretty damned big loss for folks to take on. Did the tournament reimburse anyone this happened to? Because thats a few hundred dollars easily in the shitter for someone that got schedule swindled.

mbpm1

To be honest I think Larry and crew deserve props for making this thing work at all. It sounds like they were driving a car with three wheels in a race. Good on them for crossing the finish line this year but I hope they realize all the work they'll need to do to get next year running correctly.

1 Wheel. The whee cobbled together out of cardboard

notworksafe

Perhaps he preferred getting his exact words out over audio rather than running them through a writer? I dunno, weird choice but it is his to make.

Tripon

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sofaot

Jiyuna translated Daigo's thoughts on the 6 main skills for fighting games and strategies.

As for Shinblanka appearing the On Blast Show, he obviously showing up on a show that will allow him to be presented in a positive light. But its the On Blast Show, so I don't know who is going to watch outside of the Carny factor.

If he wanted a legitimate post mortem, I'm sure he could have shown up on either the Daily Dot or UltraChenTV.

On some level I feel like the discussion should be about the professional/personal divide necessary to run things properly when there's so much more at stake. By all accounts nobody working on this has bad intentions, and I don't think it's necessarily negligence that leads to all this stuff. It's just the problem of things that have been informal and "grassroots" for so long all of a sudden turning into big complicated undertakings, and I have a hunch that the reason things are the way they are is that the people at the top don't want to be in a position to tell people what to do. Just remember the backlash from the last UFGT, which was extremely well run but caught a lot of bad feelings from some players for not being as accommodating with their zero tolerance policies.

I'm just sad that instead of any sort of formal statement he's going on the On Blast show of all things, ugh.

Seems like the best "damage control" you can do in this situation is to focus even more on personal blowups and undermining criticism of your event by questioning the motives of the people being critical. I expect some sort of blowup towards Jebailey and no talk about actual improving the organization of the event outside of a basic apology.

What went wrong with Final Round http://shoryuken.com/2016/03/22/bey...aise-questions-about-tournament-organization/

Most everybody should know by now but that's the entire story I heard from multiple staff members, can't get too specific for reasons.

Very good article.
Hopefully FR will be able to resolve these failures going forward, cause it sounds like hell for everyone involved.

One random question, though, since the article mentions an unpatched SFV setup, which I assume refers to the day-one patch for PS4. Does anyone know what that patch actually changed?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It doesn't help that Japan doesn't want kids. People like Momo and Choco have to hurry up and make 20+ kids to make up for the rest of the population.

OBS is going to be interesting. Watch it not for anything else but to see what Larry's response is.

Ucchedavāda;198923182 said:
Very good article.
Hopefully FR will be able to resolve these failures going forward, cause it sounds like hell for everyone involved.

One random question, though, since the article mentions an unpatched SFV setup, which I assume refers to the day-one patch for PS4. Does anyone know what that patch actually changed?

r mika combo potential is one of them. She can do some combos that are only available after the patch

Chavelo

Popping in here to say good stuff to Anne for the SRK article. Very well written and I hope it helps people see what needs to be changed if we want to see the FGC go into uncharted land when it comes to events, competition and numbers.

Shinblanka on OBS tho... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I imagine Champ is probably going to have a ton of people over his house. Would like to see some pre NCR stuff.

Sixfortyfive

Ucchedavāda;198923182 said:

R. Mika doesn't have her mid-screen wallbounce without the patch.

This actually happened to me during 8AM pools against Haitani on the same station. I notified the bracket runner immediately and told him that the room leads need to know about it so that it can be fixed.

It apparently was not fixed, because more complaints about the same station came out during the afternoon.

BiggNife

Honestly if it were up to me I would just say get rid of on-site registration. Cut off pre-reg the Wednesday before the tournament. Causes way more problems than it's worth, and it's not like most people decide to enter a tournament the day of. If they miss registration that's their own fault.

Anne

Thanks everybody who liked it btw, was anxious about putting it out there lol

Kiets says he has some solution for doing on site reg well sooooo I guess check that out when he's done writing it up.

mbpm1

Seems like the best "damage control" you can do in this situation is to focus even more on personal blowups and undermining criticism of your event by questioning the motives of the people being critical. I expect some sort of blowup towards Jebailey and no talk about actual improving the organization of the event outside of a basic apology.

Sounds like the opposite of damage control to me

Ucchedavāda;198923874 said:
Ouch. Gotta suck to lose a match because you "dropped" a combo that wasn't possible without that patch.

That is exactly what happened and what brought about the realization of the nonpatched console.

notworksafe

Damn @ unpatched console? Is there a standard procedure or checklist for inspection of console hardware before the event ?

most tournaments will run through the consoles but sometimes shit happens. it happened to CEO, it happened at EVO, and it's happened at local events here

number47

Who needs their event to be a cpt premier?

Was this the largest event for final round?

hope someone doesn't bring up how staff is trained on these events.

should capcom just run their own events once a month?

Thanks for the details!

I can't say that I'm surprised that the console didn't get fixed, however, given the multitude of organizational issues that Anne described.

Anne

Unpatched set ups slip through. It happens, it can especially annoying on newer systems too. Still, when you see it stop running matches on that station and fix it ASAP.

Sixfortyfive

Damn @ unpatched console? Is there a standard procedure or checklist for inspection of console hardware before the event ?

I've been going to multiple majors every year since 2010.

It's *extremely* rare that I don't spot at least one un-patched console over the course of the event.

I've seen it happen in at least three top 8s.

(This is one of the main reasons why I just burst out in laughter whenever someone suggests that fighting game tournaments ever be run on PC. If people can't check for simple patches, they sure as fuck can't handle a PC.)

Beckx

(This is one of the main reasons why I just burst out in laughter whenever someone suggests that fighting game tournaments ever be run on PC. If people can't check for simple patches, they sure as fuck can't handle a PC.)

Preparing to update Windows (your computer will restart several times)

Progress 1%

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
PC really wouldn't be that bad with a bit of prep work. Set up a PC, install all the stick drivers you can, install SFV, patch it. Then make an image of the system and load that image on all your setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom