• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChits

Spring Fighter always has the dopest posters
sft_small2.jpg

That seems a lot more boring and sterile than real life assembly lines. Where the engineer screwed up so the machine spits out things backwards but it's too expensive to fix it so some poor schlob gets paid minimum wage to stand there and flip things around the right way.

pixelish

post-final round roundtable with scott popular, infiltration, tokido and sonicfox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rBmCf31xcg&feature=youtu.be

it's pretty neat and i wish more people would do this.
bornfree has another roundtable involving the 3 players but more comprehensive.

they talked about reasons why they chose their respective mains, most feared players/characters, the shimmy & overhead game, a bit on the scene in america and many more. great watch if you have 20 minutes to spare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHmn8bMD8uc

pixelish

So...what do you guys think about the results of the tournament particularly America still being the bridesmaid?

despite same release day/no arcade release/great netcode so no barrier to access, etc, some of y'all need to realise the players from asia are simply more talented in fighting games than their western counterpart.

So...what do you guys think about the results of the tournament particularly America still being the bridesmaid?

Nationally, nothing really surprising. America got humbled.

As for the individual players, Haitani is much better than I thought he'd be and I was really impressed with which American players made it into top 8. Brent/Nando/SonicFox are all really good.

Nightii

Banned
you need to explain whats going on in that video

My bad, the link doesn't show it, but that sequence is a blockstring infinite, it doesn't cause guard break.

Technically it can't truly go on forever because of chip damage and because Shadow Mewtwo spends his own life bar for specials, but still kinda wonky, I guess.

Infinite

No surprise there
Hmm I guess. I wasn't expecting an American to take the tournament (I thought Kazunoko or Tokido was gonna take it tbh) but they got humbled for sure.

some of y'all need to realise the players from asia are simply more talented in fighting games than their western counterpart.
That's bullshit. I don't think Asian players are inherently predisposed to be better at fighting games than everyone else lol.

Nationally, nothing really surprising. America got humbled.

As for the individual players, Haitani is much better than I thought he'd be and I was really impressed with which American players made it into top 8. Brent/Nando/SonicFox are all really good.

Yeah but they got blown up in top 8 big time although Nando played really well.

i always thought nothing was going to change with how americans place in tournaments featuring a large number of international players.

getting "early access" also didn't change a thing.

pixelish

That's bullshit. I don't think Asian players are inherently predisposed to be better at fighting games than everyone else lol.
i'm not saying they're inherently talented but more like their 'work ethic' or how they approach fighting games is what propelling them above western players. idk, maybe this is more of a cultural thing.

Infinite

i'm not saying they're inherently talented but more like their 'work ethic' or how they approach fighting games is what propelling them above western players. idk, maybe this is more of a cultural thing.
Yeah I'm of that thought. I don't know what exactly they're doing differently but it's working.

Tokido brings up a point I haven't considered though, which is that all the top Japanese players are over 30. US is getting new blood but maybe Japan isn't, won't matter for this game but might for the next one.

peter0611

You probably shouldn't have used the word talented then, since most people associate that with being "naturally good". Their general success (as a group, not individuals) has to be attributed to culture. The way they approach fighters is definitely superior, and having a strong arcade scene just pushes it further.

Sayad

Tokido brings up a point I haven't considered though, which is that all the top Japanese players are over 30. US is getting new blood but maybe Japan isn't, won't matter for this game but might for the next one.
Kaz is under 30, but he's getting there, not exactly new blood.

Between the arcade scene being harder to break into for new players than playing online at home, and the lack of interest in home consoles in Japan, it's really not looking good for them.

mbpm1

Kaz is under 30, but he's getting there, not exactly new blood.

Between the arcade scene being harder to break into for new players than playing online at home, and the lack of interest in home consoles in Japan, it's really not looking good for them.

Tbh I already feel like Japan will be overall weaker without arcades. No matter what it feels like America won't be seeing them at their peak even though the top will still be top.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
America wins via waiting for everyone else to turn into dinosaurs.

A real American victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom