• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggNife

I've been going to multiple majors every year since 2010.

It's *extremely* rare that I don't spot at least one un-patched console over the course of the event.

I've seen it happen in at least three top 8s.

(This is one of the main reasons why I just burst out in laughter whenever someone suggests that fighting game tournaments ever be run on PC. If people can't check for simple patches, they sure as fuck can't handle a PC.)

Imagine having to set up Joy2Key in a tournament setting

lmao

PC really wouldn't be that bad with a bit of prep work. Set up a PC, install all the stick drivers you can, install SFV, patch it. Then make an image of the system and load that image on all your setups.

That sounds like hell for people who can't even remember to patch a console game.

Automatic update during Top 8 hype!

"Updating Windows. Your PC will restart several times. Please sit back and relax."

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
mothafuckas cant use a bracket website correctly and you're telling them to start running imaging software for pc setups

I'm not suggesting this for FR, they are beyond hope.

Just saying, that if someone wanted to run a tourney on PC's it really wouldn't be that bad.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
People defending ShinBlanka in the comments lmao, I wonder if these people actually go to tournaments or know what quality means. It was a shit show for the majority of the players and the TOs. If you get personal anecdotes from the volunteers themselves, there is no way he can be defended for this.

From KoF thread, Leona's hair animation, simple as it is, looks way better than any hair animation in SFV:

:3

This is too lewd, the jiggle is crazier than Chun's on P2 side.

Shouta

Doesn't the place that Valle runs WNF already have those PCs setup regularly for other means? That's a pretty different situation than having to rent or buy a ton of hardware to run it at events that are once a year.

BiggNife

Valle does it every week, so that counts for something.

Yeah but WNF isn't a major. More things are likely to go wrong when everything is at a much larger scale, especially when responsibility is handed off to volunteers who probably don't have any idea what to do when a PC fucks up.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Also I forgot, shout outs to SixFortyFive helping me out with my controller situation. Wouldn't have made it far as I did without you buddy. A toast:

tumblr_n0jmojZ6Ir1s0t6o2o1_500.gif

Doesn't the place that Valle runs WNF already have those PCs setup regularly for other means? That's a pretty different situation than having to rent or buy a ton of hardware to run it at events that are once a year.

The Foundry has multiple setups from what NerdJosh and a few other players were telling me. Its both PC and the portable GAEM setups with SFV on them. I really do think GAEM should talk with Capcom and a few local communities in making these portable setups more known and available cause they are really neat, bring them on the go whenever you want. Hell, I'm really interested in buying it.

Assembling dozens of setups that need to run for possibly hundreds of matches with complete consistency sounds totally feasible and affordable with PCs, people who run into issues just aren't setting them up correctly. Unpaid volunteers can definitely be trusted to fix any issues that come up.

It would be even easier if there was a consistent hardware setup that's very modular and extremely affordable, which also provides an easy compatibility target for manufacturers and modders. What if it's also widely available enough that it can be used to maintain hardware consistency over the entire pro tour, and not just a single major? Why hasn't anyone thought of this?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Those steam machines and alienware things are PC gaming for dummies. It's just like having a console. No need for the usual mess you have with a regular PC. Even the lowest end model will run any fighting game on the market at max settings.

BiggNife

Those steam machines and alienware things are PC gaming for dummies. It's just like having a console. No need for the usual mess you have with a regular PC. Even the lowest end model will run any fighting game on the market at max settings.

I'm actually curious to see how the SteamOS version of SFV turns out

That would probably eliminate the risk of forced OS/driver updates like Windows does

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Correct. It's basically a gaming LAN on steroids.

Aside: Anne - great job with the FR article! :)

Beckx

nope.

i have an alienware alpha in my cab and it's not that easy. the alienware custom frontend didn't even work out of the box (and never did). it also won't run SFV at max settings and keep 60FPS. dropping resolution and lighting gets you to 60FPS but the already not-great visuals take a hit (thankfully i didn't have to drop shadows because ho lordy SFV looks terribad if you reduce shadows by even a notch).

i like the box but only because i know what i'm doing and was able to get it to run just the way i wanted.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
nope.

i have an alienware alpha in my cab and it's not that easy. the alienware custom frontend didn't even work out of the box (and never did). it also won't run SFV at max settings and keep 60FPS. dropping resolution and lighting gets you to 60FPS but the already not-great visuals take a hit (thankfully i didn't have to drop shadows because ho lordy SFV looks terribad if you reduce shadows by even a notch).

i like the box but only because i know what i'm doing and was able to get it to run just the way i wanted.

Is yours a current model?

And LOL at Kbrad not knowing how to turn off Justin's stream. They are trying to go to Champ's house but Kbrad doesn't know how to turn OBS off.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PC really wouldn't be that bad with a bit of prep work. Set up a PC, install all the stick drivers you can, install SFV, patch it. Then make an image of the system and load that image on all your setups.
So basically, it's still not worth it.

The servers are off right now so I'm fully expecting at least shop when it comes back on
This happened last week to no end.

despite same release day/no arcade release/great netcode so no barrier to access, etc, some of y'all need to realise the players from asia are simply more talented in fighting games than their western counterpart.

i'm not saying they're inherently talented but more like their 'work ethic' or how they approach fighting games is what propelling them above western players. idk, maybe this is more of a cultural thing.

Yeah I'm of that thought. I don't know what exactly they're doing differently but it's working.

You probably shouldn't have used the word talented then, since most people associate that with being "naturally good". Their general success (as a group, not individuals) has to be attributed to culture. The way they approach fighters is definitely superior, and having a strong arcade scene just pushes it further.

This is what I think. I think arcades are the best way to produce talents. Information sharing is there because of the offline nature of them and because it's very easy to see players playing. So whether or not you want to share something, it will be revealed. Secondly, the competitive nature is ramped up because it costs money to play. Finally, they're in cities and thus get a good amount of players all playing at a single arcade.

These arcades developed players for Japan 10-16 years ago and in some cases 20 years ago when they were much bigger. So let's say hypothetically Japan produced 50 great players. In that same period, US developed 20 great players. Naturally, there will be players that rise to the top of that player pool. Because the player pool is deeper in Japan, Japan produced the most talented player rather than the US.

Arcades in the US have been virtually dead for a long time now. Up until SF4, US hasn't had a big pool of players to draw talent from. Japan still had arcades producing talents in a lot of games before the SF4 era. Those players are Nemo, Mago, Fuudo, etc...

All of those players do not need arcades anymore to be godlike at the game. They already understand fighting games at a master level and are the cream of the crop of their respective communities in regards to footsies, spacing, reading, etc... The fact that SFV is not in the arcades is irrelevant. Does Justin Wong need the arcades to remain one of the top talents in the US street fighter scene? No. His ability in footsies, defending, etc... was already developed a long time ago.

So Japan and Asia have all these monsters that were created from the arcades decades ago still competing in SFV. That number is larger than the US talent pool. The talent pool is deeper, so Japan will produce the better SFV players. So I do believe Japan has the more talented players due to the arcades producing a larger amount of top players. And like in anything, there will always be some that rise to the top making them the most talented. I ask the question, if you were to put up Asia's best 100 players and go against America's 100 best players in a SF4 100v100 exhibition, which team will win? Why? Now why, if those same regions make the jump to the new game, would the result change in 2016? It makes no sense to believe the US would do better.

vocab

Having a place with updated information helps people level up faster. If I walk away from a game and come back to it, I should be able to find the most up to date information about matchsups, ins and outs of a character and combos. I bet there's less up to date information about SFIV than SFV, and that game is almost 8 years. How fucking sad is that?

Say what you want about poverty games, NRS, or KOF, those guys actually have people who give a shit (some what) in terms of pooling information together. I can go to dreamcancel wiki and look about basic information about any character in most kof games and there's combos, established match up specific knowledge, and even basic frame traps to get going. The darkstalker wiki, for a game more complex than SFV by quite a lot, has more information. Anybody can by pass the years of experience someone has with a game just by looking at some of that information.

There's more uptodate information on marvel in a japanese fucking wiki than anywhere else on the internet. I thought it was our game? Then wheres the info? Oh that's right segemented youtube videos across years of the game people would have to sort though to find anything meaningful.

You can say the arcade cultural is what holds us back, buts it's more that the US cultural of holding shit for your self, and not caring about helping anyone is what holds us back. I'm really happy that you and 5 other "insert characters here" are sharing information. It doesn't help anyone outside of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom