• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Going with non meme title for NCR this time. Blame/reason is somebody bumping up last year NCR thread and that had a regular title. Good enough for last year, good enough for this year.

I don't remember any recent competitive multiplayer game that allowed you to drop out of a game in order to prevent a loss. That and the uneven rollback situation are really huge blunders and go beyond trying to regulate toxic or disruptive behavior, it's just poor design.

What's your ideal fix?

I see a lot of people asking for Capcom to "fix" people dropping out of a match.. Other than sweeping people's points on a weekly basis (which they said they were doing), what would you like to see? It seems weird that this is a more vocal complaint than everything else that's wrong with the game.

At the very least i want it to count as a win for the player that sticks around and a loss for the one that leaves. Hell, add a proper in-game 'Retire' option for those people too salty to watch the remainder of a match.

But -ideally- i want the player that sticks around to get a bonus. Probably not bonus LP, but perhaps bonus chara xp or FM. And show this to the quitter. "Your previous match was not finished properly. Your points are deducted and your opponent gets a present. " I'm more a fan of the carrot than the stick. If ragequitting is visibly beneficial to the victim in some way i'm sure we'll see much less of it. No ragequitter wants to do the opponent a favour.

I don't see how it's a weird complaint. The last time i played i couldn't win a single match, because every time i got close to winning they quit. My friend said he played 9 matches one evening and got 8 ragequits.

So yeah, fixing that is high on my list of requested features. Second only after actually working lobbies.

Just make RQing the same thing as losing while giving the person who stayed their FM/exp/win. There doesn't need to be anything else. The reason people get mad over RQers is because they're not getting anything from it.

Just make RQing the same thing as losing while giving the person who stayed their FM/exp/win. There doesn't need to be anything else. The reason people get mad over RQers is because they're not getting anything from it.

Nah I'd rather they are punished harder for repeat RQs or DCs than caring about anything I earn from it. Forget any points I may earn, I simply don't want to play against RQ'ers at all.

It is not enough that I should succeed, other's should fail.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What's your ideal fix?

I see a lot of people asking for Capcom to "fix" people dropping out of a match.. Other than sweeping people's points on a weekly basis (which they said they were doing), what would you like to see? It seems weird that this is a more vocal complaint than everything else that's wrong with the game.

GloomyCalculatingElephant.gif

The ideal fix (the fix that damn near every game uses) is to give the quitter an immediate loss and the other player a win. It's not rocket science.

Nah I'd rather they are punished harder for repeat RQs or DCs than caring about anything I earn from it. Another point is forget any points I may earn, I simply don't want to play against RQ'ers at all.

It is not enough that I should succeed, other's should fail.

But why? If RQing is the same consequences as losing and they just quit at the end of the match, who cares? You're still getting your LP/FM/exp and they're still losing their LP.

This also helps the case in which accidently disconnecting from a match only counts as a loss instead of some big mark on your record where you're getting punished super hard for it.

Seyavesh

Am I crazy in thinking the SFV netcode is still bad?

it's genuinely unplayable for me right now for some reason i don't understand but at the very least that's prompted me to play fightcade a lot, lot more

when it's fine, it's alright but it's hard to tell because of that thing where it dumps 100% of the rollbacks onto one person only so what may seem like a great connection might be teleport hell for the guy you're playing and you have no way of really knowing

Like one of the reasons I believe many ppl rq is just due to the fact that there is a trophy linked to having 3k lp. I bet if that wasn't in there this issue would never have really blown up as much as it did

mbpm1

Like one of the reasons I believe many ppl rq is just due to the fact that there is a trophy linked to having 3k lp. I bet if that wasn't in there this issue would never have really blown up as much as it did

There's a trophy? Must not have noticed/come up for me.

It works great over good connections, but it drops off really quickly and even 4-bars are usually unplayable for me

The fact that a lot of the time only one person "feels" the lag because the other player is the one constantly getting rollback probably contributes to all these inconsistent experiences.

vocab

I dont like it. Theres something wrong with how it handles desyncs that it never recovers. Ive noticed this the most in lobbies. I cant play with a couple of friends because its so bad between us. Also it needs better ping display.

Messiah

Have made really bad experiences playing with friends. Matches on a wired connection with 3 and even 4 bars shouldn't be that bad. But even so I had matches against people in the same region and some were fine while others were unplayable. Their implementation of rollback is one of the worst ones I have seen so far.

I dont like it. Theres something wrong with how it handles desyncs that it never recovers. Ive noticed this the most in lobbies. I cant play with a couple of friends because its so bad between us. Also it needs better ping display.

My worst experiences were in lobbies as well. Matchmaking is usually okay but far from great, really.

BadWolf

Luong and Nelson are both looking great, can't wait to see the other new characters (about 8 more brand new ones to go + 2 bosses).

Kalamari

Japan probably hasn't encountered a quitter problem like other parts of the world. They assume players won't quit because it brings shame to their family or something.

BadWolf

Japan probably hasn't encountered a quitter problem like other parts of the world. They assume players won't quit because it brings shame to their family or something.

Just seems like a dumb oversight in general since it wasn't an issue in SF4 from what I understand.

I'd read that. I'd also read the GG/BB ones.

Previous posts about character design (personal opinion of course):

- Arc and following anime trends
- Why Xrd fall short with redesigns and new characters
- How FrenchBread mixes effective design with trendy things
- Comparing Hyde with Ragna and Sol design effectiveness
- The changes applied to Millia from XX to Xrd
- Same for Potemkin

I'll write something about KOF later.

Edit : you should read this article by Art Eater about what makes KOF characters so amazing. Watch a trailer right after and you'll probably start having an idea of the problem.

Perro

shit is not even a real ragequit, ppl quit cuz they dont wanna lose points, streaks and rankdown.

Previous posts about character design (personal opinion of course):

- Arc and following anime trends
- Why Xrd fall short with redesigns and new characters
- How FrenchBread mixes effective design with trendy things
- Comparing Hyde with Ragna and Sol design effectiveness
- The changes applied to Millia from XX to Xrd
- Same for Potemkin

I'll write something about KOF later.

Edit : you should read this article by Art Eater about what makes KOF characters so amazing. Watch a trailer right after and you'll probably start having an idea of the problem.

thanks, will read.

He picked a Japanese flag, doesn't mean he's from Japan.
you know he's not from japan?

hitsugi

it's the best and the worst netcode ever

This. When you get a good match, it's pretty damn good. But on the other hand....

I do wish Capcom had a way of detecting when a match spiraled into unplayable territory. If a match starts off as or suddenly becomes a slideshow, both players should be dropped. I'd actually put this higher up on my list of annoyances than ragequitting. Those matches are genuinely pointless.

FLCL made by a completely different studio, probably by nobody involved with the original.

Hell I bet next thing we know Nether Realm Studios are making a Darkstalkers sequel.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
SCV is $3.75 and SCIIHDO is $5 on the Xbox Spring Sale if you don't have them and are a gen behind like me

CurlyW

So this just got announced: http://avyd.com/championship.php

We are proud to announce that we will be hosting a $100,000 Fighting Game Championships to be played at our Winter Championships at the close of 2016. The event will be hosted in sunny Orlando, Florida and feature a massive prize pool. Prizing will be split between six of the most popular competitive fighting games, including Street Fighter V, Mortal Kombat X, Guilty Gear Xrd, Killer Instinct, Super Smash Bros. Wii-U, and Super Smash Bros. Melee! It wasn’t just that we wanted to host the most popular fighting games, but we also wanted to host the best players in those games.

With that in mind, we are also proud to announce that Avyd has partnered with some of the best fighting game community events in the United States to produce a Qualification Tour throughout 2016. Each event’s Champion will secure a qualification spot in our closed Top 8 bracket at our Winter Championships. On top of that, we will provide each Champion with a free lodging and a VIP weekend pass. We will also host multiple online qualifiers giving competitors a final chance to secure a qualification spot into our Top 8 bracket. A total of six out of the eight spots will be filled by this Qualification Tour. The final two will be determined at the event itself. Below you will find the details on when and where you can qualify for your chance at $100,000.

[continues]

No clue what Avyd is, but apparently they're working with NCR, Combo Breaker, CEO, SCR/LevelUp, and The Big House (and probably more) in some capacity.

eggandI

Banned
So this just got announced: http://avyd.com/championship.php

No clue what Avyd is, but apparently they're working with NCR, Combo Breaker, CEO, and SCR/LevelUp in some capacity.
Never heard of that company before.. 🙄 "unknown company promising good things" doesn't exactly have a good track record in the fgc

The lack of penalty for RQs in SFV is one of the most baffling things about the game. It's something so extremely basic that the only logical answer I can entertain there being is that they ran out of time/money and just shipped what they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom