• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horseress

Cer4NFkXEAA5lQ6.jpg

pizzacat

Banned
Sorta looks like a nod for D.Dark, sorta looks like what he would wear for that time he was brainwashed and worked for shadoloo, well what I assume he would wear, iirc he just wore his default costume or was Shadow

I can see how he looks like an mk character tho

8aae047d-dc51-4e93-a183-2344467c4816.jpg

Is the fact that they're Japanese supposed to make their complaints more valid, or something?
domestic products being altered due to foriegn sensibilities? Even if they are exports it makes sense for them to be salty, and the fear is that the more drastic changes games like bravely second and fatal frame saw in the west could make their way into the domestic versions.

CurlyW

domestic products being altered due to foriegn sensibilities? Even if they are exports it makes sense for them to be salty, and the fear is that the more drastic changes games like bravely second and fatal frame saw in the west could make their way into the domestic versions.

Street Fighter V is anything but a Japanese-exclusive product though, especially since it's not even out in arcades. If the Japanese being mad about SFV changes is supposed to somehow carry more weight than people anywhere else being mad, then is American anger about Overwatch also more righteous?

(I don't know if Star Ocean is supposed to be a worldwide release or not, so that one may be a different situation, apart from the fact that it is one of the silliest things I've ever seen anybody get angry over.)

Also, video games are far from the first medium to experience alterations to domestic products to suit foreign audiences. (See: Downton Abbey blatantly pandering to American audiences in one of the seasons after the show became a big hit in the US.)

Street Fighter V is anything but a Japanese-exclusive product though, especially since it's not even out in arcades. If the Japanese being mad about SFV changes is supposed to somehow carry more weight than people anywhere else being mad, then is American anger about Overwatch also more righteous?

(I don't know if Star Ocean is supposed to be a worldwide release or not, so that one may be a different situation, apart from the fact that it is one of the silliest things I've ever seen anybody get angry over.)
the second sentence I wrote was "Even if they are exports". Japanese release of star ocean is like tomorrow or some shit. Worldwide is later this year. These japanese are salty because products made in their country are being altered due to foreign sensibilities. The corporations of course are making this decision on a worldwide reasoning (granted, I highly doubt they are being very analytical about it), but the Japanese themselves have no reason to give a shit about that.

So I'm not saying their view is more valid, I'm just saying that it is valid.

CurlyW

What happened with Overwatch?

Nothing important, really.

Any complaint about "censoring" SFV is dumb. The costumes for the women in this game are the most revealing in Street Fighter history to the point of stupidity like Laura looking like she's wearing a cartoon infant's pajamas with an open poop hatch. The slight repositioning of camera angles is nothing.

I agree. I'm just saying that I don't buy that just because there are Japanese people angry about it that I'm supposed to reconsider my position on the issue.

Pompadour

Also, video games are far from the first medium to experience alterations to domestic products to suit foreign audiences. (See: Downton Abbey blatantly pandering to American audiences in one of the seasons after the show became a big hit in the US.)

Any complaint about "censoring" SFV is dumb. The costumes for the women in this game are the most revealing in Street Fighter history to the point of stupidity like Laura looking like she's wearing a cartoon infant's pajamas with an open poop hatch. The slight repositioning of camera angles is nothing.

The butt slap was amazing, though.

CurlyW

The butt slap was amazing, though.

Yeah, I do think the butt slap on its own was fine, and it suited R. Mika's character. My main issues are the aggressive loading screen jiggling and the fact that Laura is just a real doll without the personality. (Though I will admit that I think much of the new cast is uninteresting character-wise. Maybe it's just because I don't know them as well as the mainstays? I dunno.)

Pompadour

Yeah, I do think the butt slap on its own was fine, and it suited R. Mika's character. My main issues are the aggressive loading screen jiggling and the fact that Laura is just a real doll without the personality. (Though I will admit that lacking personality is a problem I have with much of the new cast. Maybe it's just because I don't know them as well as the mainstays? I dunno.)

Laura's personality is the worst. Just because that dialogue may work in Japanese doesn't mean it should be transliterated in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom