• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
unless the PS4k has exclusive games, or the performance on the ps4 vanilla versions suffers horribly then why would you need to buy the new one.

Ill buy it since the current gen of consoles are weak and a middle of the generation graphics bump sounds good to me
Because I suspect that one or either of these things will happen. If rumors are true and it has double the PS4's GPU, there's no way that doesn't lead to significant differences between game versions.

Sega Genesis 4K

Sega-Neptune-1041428B8Z.jpg

Beckx

Because I suspect that one or either of these things will happen. If rumors are true and it has double the PS4's GPU, there's no way that doesn't lead to significant differences between game versions.

lower resolution, lower frame rate, reduced anti-aliasing or effects, yeah, all of those seem likely. you have to assume devs will take advantage of the added power and just hard code lower settings so that things work on PS4. that seems to be a best case. worst case you get things that actually run horrible on the launch console.

it will be interesting to see how the market reacts to consoles going with a phone/tablet like refresh cycle. i just don't have as much interest, i am very ambivalent about the current crop of consoles. i'm no longer in the target audience though.

Kalamari

Will developers really develop titles that take advantage of the increased horsepower of newer 4k consoles? I mean it will require extra effort on their part when the install base is rather low during the first year or two, it may be a few years before we see developers really taking advantage of it.

lower resolution, lower frame rate, reduced anti-aliasing or effects, yeah, all of those seem likely. you have to assume devs will take advantage of the added power and just hard code lower settings so that things work on PS4. that seems to be a best case. worst case you get things that actually run horrible on the launch console.

it will be interesting to see how the market reacts to consoles going with a phone/tablet like refresh cycle. i just don't have as much interest, i am very ambivalent about the current crop of consoles. i'm no longer in the target audience though.
I'm thinking of issues like Hyrule Warriors' multi-player mode, where the enemies on screen are cut by at least half because of processing issues. Those kinds of quality drops are significant.

Will developers really develop titles that take advantage of the increased horsepower of newer 4k consoles? I mean it will require extra effort on their part when the install base is rather low during the first year or two, it may be a few years before we see developers really taking advantage of it.
I think it's more likely that developers don't tighten the gears as well because the PS4K has all that extra power, and we see more botched PS4 launches. Especially if websites focus on the PS4K version.

BadWolf

Not sure why some are expecting devs to go all out like that with the PS4K when there will be about 50 million PS4 owners out there when the PS4K launches.

Beckx

what karst says. you know how people talk about downgrades now? that stuff seems like it's performance driven. now you'll see the 4.5 version look more like the trailer and the launch console either is downgraded or has bad performance. plus stuff that's available in the pc versions will be possible on one, but not the other. we're not talking about hiring additional artists to create assets just for that console.

I'm thinking of issues like Hyrule Warriors' multi-player mode, where the enemies on screen are cut by at least half because of processing issues. Those kinds of quality drops are significant.

does it really? I only play the wii u game co-op with my son, and it's my fav musou by far. had no idea it was cutting down the number of enemies, but i guess it doesn't matter since i'll never play it solo, heh.

what karst says. you know how people talk about downgrades now? that stuff seems like it's performance driven. now you'll see the 4.5 version look more like the trailer and the launch console either is downgraded or has bad performance.
I am personally excited for GAFer complaints that the PS4 is holding back PS4K development, too.

does it really? I only play the wii u game co-op with my son, and it's my fav musou by far. had no idea it was cutting down the number of enemies, but i guess it doesn't matter since i'll never play it solo, heh.
Play it alone once. It's a totally different experience. You can throw out special attacks all the time because there's so much more to build bar on with AoE.

Dahbomb

If DMC5 is 60FPS on 4.5 and 30 FPS on PS4/XB1 then I think I would actually buy a ticket to Capcom HQ to pop off on them then toss my PS4 in the trash can and buy a new PC.

I don't see developers going out of their way to heavily improve the performance of their games when one version of the same console is a niche vanity product and the other has an install base of over 30 million users.

Kalamari

I am personally excited for GAFer complaints that the PS4 is holding back PS4K development, too.

Oooooh man, the complaints will be of an epic maginitude. I think you're right, with the increased horsepower it just means developers will do less optimization to get their games to look decent. The real humor will come if PS4K games look only marginally better than their PS4 counterparts.

Sayad

PS4K and X1.5 seems like the start of the console industry realizing that gradual transition between generations is the way to go. It's basically what happened at the start of this generation with developers refusing to take the risk and drop last gen user base. This also address problems like PS4 slow start in Japan, and devs refusing to drop the PS3 over there. I'd expect something similar from Nintendo too, their unified system would make it easier to just upgrade, and allow them to get out of future "WiiU situations" way smoother.

Beckx

Oooooh man, the complaints will be of an epic maginitude. I think you're right, with the increased horsepower it just means developers will do less optimization to get their games to look decent. The real humor will come if PS4K games look only marginally better than their PS4 counterparts.

until this latest leak about the GPU i had assumed it was really aimed at supporting 4K movies and being an all-in-one solution for VR that didn't need the extra box. but now who knows.

an iphone like upgrade cycle has to be attractive for Sony. they no longer have to worry about "converting" the base to a new gen, just get them to upgrade over time.

Tizoc

If DMC5 is 60FPS on 4.5 and 30 FPS on PS4/XB1 then I think I would actually buy a ticket to Capcom HQ to pop off on them then toss my PS4 in the trash can and buy a new PC.

DMC5 ate up all of the monay Sonty gave Capcpom for SF5.
We just gotta accept that at this point :V

a 3.6TF GPU isn't exactly impressive. DOUBLE doesnt mean much with GPU horsepower. Thats still weaker than a single GPU in my PC, and I run 2.

jett

D-Member
a 3.6TF GPU isn't exactly impressive. DOUBLE doesnt mean much with GPU horsepower. Thats still weaker than a single GPU in my PC, and I run 2.

Just noticed that would actually be less than what my aging 280X got. There is no way this thing ever runs high-powered games at 4K, including SFV.

Renekton

FGW-GAF, thoughts on Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen? I see it's on sale this week.
There's a lot of trudging across basic terrain, some creatures have a fkton of HP, NPCs are robotic, world doesn't feel engaging, checklist questing is dull, big timesink, main plot is not bad, combat system is very fun.

NEO0MJ

Just noticed that would actually be less than what my aging 280X got. There is no way this thing ever runs high-powered games at 4K, including SFV.

Not even a Nvidia GTX 980 TI could get that game running at 60 FPS (varied between 50-55) so whatever Sony puts in it won't be anywhere near enough.

am i really gonna have to grind survival mode? ._.

since you have to do things per costume, does each one get fm or is that only per character?

PS4K and X1.5 seems like the start of the console industry realizing that gradual transition between generations is the way to go. It's basically what happened at the start of this generation with developers refusing to take the risk and drop last gen user base. This also address problems like PS4 slow start in Japan, and devs refusing to drop the PS3 over there. I'd expect something similar from Nintendo too, their unified system would make it easier to just upgrade, and allow them to get out of future "WiiU situations" way smoother.
The "way to go" according to who? These aren't phones. Serial phone upgraders spend only money on their phones and their obligatory cell phone plans. We spend $400 just as an entry gate to be able to purchase swaths of $60 games to play. The $400 is an investment in most people's eyes, and if you destroy the longevity of that investment, you lose people who aren't willing to take a reduced value investment. I count myself among those people. I'm absolutely not willing to spend $400 every year to keep up between Sony and Nintendo doing this every other year.

We'll see.

ShinMaruku

2 times really is nothing when you compare it to what is down the pipe. The only real issue is how developers will handle this, Sony could do it perfectly and devs can cock it up. The real question is does one trust developers on this?

Malice215

KoFXIV now looks better than SFIV, such a time to be alive. ;__;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeB-4s1Cho4

Poor Joe had the worst FG character reveal ever, this is worse than getting leaked by URL, lol.

The game is finally looking good enough for me to jump in.

I think the PS4K will have extra headroom to power VR and play Bluray disks in 4K. We'll probably see some modest gains graphically, but I really doubt that it will have the horsepower for games at 4K resolution when we barely have games able to reach 1080p/60fps on a consistent basis or without some trade offs.

But a new system is inevitable. I just hope that Sony doesn't make me regret my recent PS4 purchase.

Sayad

The "way to go" according to who? These aren't phones. Serial phone upgraders spend only money on their phones and their obligatory cell phone plans. We spend $400 just as an entry gate to be able to purchase swaths of $60 games to play. The $400 is an investment in most people's eyes, and if you destroy the longevity of that investment, you lose people who aren't willing to take a reduced value investment. I count myself among those people. I'm absolutely not willing to spend $400 every year to keep up between Sony and Nintendo doing this every other year.
The way to go from an industry perspective(for devs and console makers), this takes a lot of the risk associated with new consoles releases as it avoid the "no user base no games" vortex and satisfy people who want better graphic without waiting 7 years. Of course, like everything, this can be done wrong, ideally, you won't be dropping the old iteration until it lived a long enough console cycle.

The way to go from an industry perspective(for devs and console makers), this takes a lot of the risk associated with new consoles releases as it avoid the "no user base no games" vortex and satisfy people who want better graphic without waiting 7 years. Of course, like everything, this can be done wrong, ideally, you won't be dropping the old iteration until it lived a long enough console cycle.
Companies have tried this so many times before. Sega CD, N64HDD, etc. Why would it be any different now?

I bet it won't play out like this.

Market confusion alone is costly - look at the Wii U.
but the wii u is a new system. Sega CD was an addon that needed supported specifically. PS4K is still just going to use the same discs as the PS4, just execute them with a few more bells and whistles enabled. This doesn't need massive developer buyin to be successful since developers wont have to do much to support it, and so it wont even need a large install base.

Sayad

Companies have tried this so many times before. Sega CD, N64HDD, etc. Why would it be any different now?
Different market, different upgrade model, etc... There are also successful upgrade models(though awful from consumer perspective) like what Nintendo did with DSi/n3DS, but even those aren't exactly comparable to PS4K/X1.5 based on the rumors. What they're doing is more Mobile phones upgrades at a slower pace, something that make the transition into more powerful consoles less painful.

but the wii u is a new system. Sega CD was an addon that needed supported specifically. PS4K is still just going to use the same discs as the PS4, just execute them with a few more bells and whistles enabled. This doesn't need massive developer buyin to be successful since developers wont have to do much to support it, and so it wont even need a large install base.
The question is: how will consumers receive news of the PS4K? My hunch is "not well".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom