• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

@CEOGaming
Simply THANK YOU to everyone signing up for #ceo2016. You are annihilating our previous and expected numbers already.

nice

who will be the first of the "should've kept it private" crowd to snark about "better be ready", though

Sayad

I'd say they need to save room for a death pool, but after NCR's, I doubt we'd ever see one with as much killers again.

Is there a CPT event this weekend, or is the FGC dodging WrestleMania's slot?

mbpm1

1875593311.jpg

:O

Owensboro

but the wii u is a new system. Sega CD was an addon that needed supported specifically. PS4K is still just going to use the same discs as the PS4, just execute them with a few more bells and whistles enabled. This doesn't need massive developer buyin to be successful since developers wont have to do much to support it, and so it wont even need a large install base.
That's my thoughts on the matter. The great error with past attempts at "fragmenting the market" was that it was an entirely new system (Sega CD, 32x, New 3DS) that needed specific games made just for it that wouldn't run on the old version. This approach is going to try and circumvent that by making the games be required to run on the old hardware but just get potential boosts from the new hardware. Will the old hardware drag the "updated" hardware down? Probably, but I'd also hope they have some kind of cutoff date on the old hardware. The back part of the last 8 year console cycle only drug everyone down because there was no reason to make a super-high-spec PC only game that couldn't hit the massive console market as well. People complained about the Hard Drive-less 360 dragging games down for years (which it did, until Microsoft let developers required hard drives). If they can guarantee me that whatever system I buy (PS4, PS4.5, PS4.X, XBOne, XBOne.5) will last for at least 5 or 6 years (SNES, N64, Gamecube, PS1, and PS2 life spans) before support is "dropped" then I'm totally okay with it. Keep in mind, this doesn't mean they'd just stop making games for the old models. Hell, they made a FIFA game for the PS2 in 2013!

The question is: how will consumers receive news of the PS4K? My hunch is "not well".
As long as the point is hammered home that you will still be able to play all the games released on both systems I don't think anyone that isn't super obsessed with playing the "best" version of a game will care. The instant they say something like "Game X is only playable on the new hardware" they'll have a problem, especially if it's a big name game (Halo, Uncharted, etc...). I realize I can only speak from my own experience with my own opinion, but I've been playing computer games on the same PC I built 5 or 6 years ago and haven't had a problem knowing I'm playing on medium or low settings. At least, not yet. It's going to hurt when I have to upgrade for VR :(

Oh crap....this is the FG HQ thread.....sorry for the digression everyone...

Alex looks fun! Can't freaking wait for Evo!

Tripon

I'd say they need to save room for a death pool, but after NCR's, I doubt we'd ever see one with as much killers again.

Hypespotting V in Scotland. Will make a thread tonight when I get home. Doubt it will be busy just because of the time difference.

CurlyW

Hypespotting V in Scotland. Will make a thread tonight when I get home. Doubt it will be busy just because of the time difference.

There's also Pound 2016 (obviously not CPT, but still an event that is happening).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
This PS4K business has me suspicious of consoles. If I have to re-buy consoles every few years, I'm going full PC gaming.

I feel pretty vindicated in skipping this generation of consoles now, tbh. (Barring Nintendo, for the ~10 games per system they put out that are worth owning.)

Between physical media that's worthless (what good is being able to pull a disc off the shelf to play in 20 years if the DLC and day 1 patches are gone), unneeded feature and price bloat (already have a capture card; don't need whatever tacked-on streaming features they're providing), and now a hardware refresh cycle that just devalues the purchase that much more quickly, I don't really see the point in adding another box to my entertainment center.

Malice215

Should be a fun weekend. Looking forward to SFV/MKX at Hypespotting, Spring Fighter on Saturday, and Melee at Pound 2016.

tinyurl.com/fgcevnts

shaowebb

sigh...I keep looking online to see if there is any hope for the Blade Arcus DLC cast to be available but I've seen no listings on any of the foreign playstation stores. Unless sega just stealth made it update the game for free with the cast those characters are gone. Its not a stellar fighter but its still shouldn't be a thing where any fighting game loses cast permanently in that manner. I feel much the same about the Marvel DLC.

The digital age has its pitfalls. DLC disappearing over the years is a biggie.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
KoF XIV still looks really, really, cheap. I think that's a combination of everything from hit effects to backgrounds, but it might primarily be the models and their textures. It's actually kind of interesting if you think of it as sort of a throwback to early last gen games.

Nowhere near as good as SFIV, but that's also because the art is pretty forgettable. But also SFIV's characters are relatively larger on screen, so that makes appreciating the models a bit easier than in KoF.

Ferrio

Banned
KoF XIV still looks really, really, cheap. I think that's a combination of everything from hit effects to backgrounds, but it might primarily be the models and their textures. It's actually kind of interesting if you think of it as sort of a throwback to early last gen games.

Nowhere near as good as SFIV, but that's also because the art is pretty forgettable. But also SFIV's characters are relatively larger on screen, so that makes appreciating the models a bit easier than in KoF.

I'm finding it hard to hate on the graphics due to the initial roster size which is kinda unheard of for a brand new fighting game.

mbpm1

I'm finding it hard to hate on the graphics due to the initial roster size which is kinda unheard of for a brand new fighting game.

that's the reason we can't dismiss it completely. Looking forward to how they handle the balance. I know KOF has a lot of universal systems to alleviate dumb stuff though so it can't be too bad

that's the reason we can't dismiss it completely. Looking forward to how they handle the balance. I know KOF has a lot of universal systems to alleviate dumb stuff though so it can't be too bad

Eh, KOF is pretty much 50/50 on being broken. People usually joke that every other year you get a good KOF.

Plus it's KOF, expect something batshit to insane to eventually pop up. I remember someone bet a cookie on SRK when 13 was released on when the first infinite was found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom