• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

Been meaning to try this and several other recently released fighters on PS4. Guess I could just hit the gamecenter instead of commuting to a disc purchase... but so lazy.... (will commit to trying them tormorrow).

Nitro+
Blade Arcus
Dengeki Bunko

are the three I need to sample at somepoint.

Between Nitro+ and Dengeki Ignition its a tossup as to which is the most fun. They have very very similar burst systems but hoo man does Nitroplus turn the "Go Ham" factor up to 11 as is EXAMU's standard. Blade Arcus I don't own yet so I can't fully comment. I will say that if you play Dengeki try out Shana and Minato Tomoka (the basketball loli). Those two are just ridiculously wild to rip into people with. Tomoka with her setups and Shana with that sword using ego abusing body intruding rushdown.

With Dengeki though remember....your goal is to use Trump card to gain access to longer combos, cancels and more move properties and before it runs out to find a moment to burst either in Neutral or during a combo to refill the Trump bar to extend this period plus double down on perks because Bursting is like using X Factor. Do that and you should with no knowledge notice an extreme difference in gameplay and in how crazy it gets.

Nitroplus...go ham. Abuse short hops and rolls and double assist calls. So many tools to extend combos and set folks up.

Great couple of games.

Seyavesh

7 years for this ..... lol.

What a disgrace.

i seem to remember reading somewhere that sf5 and sfxt started development close to the same time or something like that? or that sfxt was meant to be the buffer for sf5 development

and sfxt was in development for a lot, lot longer than it looked- like at least a year before the reveal with the gameplay and stuff?

my guess is that when sfxt bombed like hell development on sf5 just straight up froze and it ended up as one of the 'canceled' projects alongside darkstalkers because capcom hates making fighting games.
and once they got sony funding they just started busting ass and made the game from scratch there, hence the char trailers straight up being actual 'in development' stuff of barely finished characters

even alex has that vibe in his trailer- he does a combo with dive->st.hp that like, really obviously does not work in his release form

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Meanwhile you have people shitting on ASW and XRD :lol

Can't believe some people actually think sf5 models took more work and effort

And some argue that GG uses sprites xD

Seyavesh

looks like sprites to me amigo
check & mate
CkkcUpV.jpg

Slaythe

The people that think Xrd has anything to be ashamed of technically compared to SFV are blind.

The Stages are gorgeous, the characters are perfect. Banana Ken wishes he looked half has good as Ky.

Also, that DBZ game is made by ASW too ! That's why the animations are so cool.

Pompadour

GGXrd is unquestionably the best looking fighting game out there right now.

Eh, I agree but I think it has competition with the updated Tekken 7. That said, I don't agree with all of GGXrd's stylistic choices. I think SFV has better animation than GGXrd, for instance. I understand the limited animation was a stylistic choice to make the game look 2D but my dream was for the janky animation of the old GG games to be replaced with something akin to 3S or SG's great animation. They essentially just mirrored the animation of the old games but increased the resolution.

Line_HTX

The people that think Xrd has anything to be ashamed of technically compared to SFV are blind.

Also, that DBZ game is made by ASW too ! That's why the animations are so cool.

The HUD almost looks like CVS2 so wasn't sure until I saw how smooth the animation looked, haha

vulva

Mobile devs Wutface

Ehhhh, I think there's something to be said for going to a mobile dev for something like netcode. With the amount of always online, server dependent nature of mobile devices while also having to deal with extremely high variables in terms of mobile data access and device types there are definitely some great reasons to look and learn from how mobile development studios approach resolving these issues. Obviously, SFV's netcode had a whole ton of issues, but conceptually this actually makes a lot of sense. Fresh eyes on the approach to implementing the code while having experience with less than optimal conditions to maximize the output. I think a better mix would be to have brought in 2-3 senior console network engineers for advice but to leave the actual development to the mobile studio.

Slaythe

What are you trying to say ?

SFV ps4 looks like crap, if you want perfect shadows go on PC. And Xrd PC destroys anything that exists.

So heh.

Also I don't think it's fair to say the animation is the same as the old GG games, because it's not true. It's limited animation but it's still much smoother because it uses more key frames.
XB2Mqpa.gif

Line_HTX

Xrd and even Xrd R's shadows(the ones casted on the ground, not on characters) are low res mess tbh.
c662f1291beed514c40cde45cf910b2d.jpg

effea0f5a48141887aa62b4e13add570.jpg

Oof, the shadows messed me up a little. The overall lighting is way better here than in Sign though. The stages aren't so goddamn bright all the time for once.

Pompadour

What are you trying to say ?

SFV ps4 looks like crap, if you want perfect shadows go on PC. And Xrd PC destroys anything that exists.

So heh.

Also I don't think it's fair to say the animation is the same as the old GG games, because it's not true. It's limited animation but it's still much smoother because it uses more key frames.
XB2Mqpa.gif

I think they could have achieved their goal of smoother animation while still retaining that hi-res, 2D sprite look. It looks better than the old, very janky GG games, yes but that's a pretty low bar.

Slaythe

And yes the shadows in GG look like shit.

But they look like shit on every console game.

GG made the choice to have perfect shadows on their character and crappy "low shadows".

Honestly those low shadows are not very noticeable when you're playing because it only is noticeable if you decide to look at them, and that's when you're standing still, which doesn't happen much when you're fighting.

I have played REV 15 hours already and I hadn't noticed how bad they were until you guys pointed it out.

pizzacat

Banned
People think SFV is better looking than Xrd? How
They're are people who talk about the models of SFV like if they're good.

S0GgGtZh.jpg

Look at Nash's cuts and how low detailed they are, his ears look like a RE2 model. Not even going to comment on the hairline.

I may have been a bit harsh but lol I truly do believe that guy who said everyone's models but Necalli are done

Slaythe

That Nash model is one of the coolest in the game, not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I've been burnt by banana ken man. That face, that hair :/ ...

pizzacat

Banned
That Nash model is one of the coolest in the game, not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I've been burnt by banana ken man. That face, that hair :/ ...
It's only cool if you squint hard enough and maybe see d dark

The armor looks cool and actually looks good, the body suit underneath makes him look like a tmnt

Dahbomb

7 years in development?

God damn son. Though I don't think the game went into full scale development until right around USF4.

vulva

Sometimes I think I'm not pedantic enough to post on a gaming forum.

Then I realize I have enough snark to balance it.

Sayad

And yes the shadows in GG look like shit.

But they look like shit on every console game.

GG made the choice to have perfect shadows on their character and crappy "low shadows".

Honestly those low shadows are not very noticeable when you're playing because it only is noticeable if you decide to look at them, and that's when you're standing still, which doesn't happen much when you're fighting.

I have played REV 15 hours already and I hadn't noticed how bad they were until you guys pointed it out.
Both those pictures you used shows higher res shadows than Xrd's. And yea, most of the time I miss critical UI information while playing Xrd, I wont be noticing low res shadows during a match. Though like SFV's awful shaders shimmering, you'll notice them during downtime.

What's more annoying, is that the two on screen characters are the only things casting real shadows, every other shadow on screen is pre-backed or just painted on textures(and they look great). Seems like it's just a matter of someone noticing how bad characters shadows look and fixing it, it's not like the game is stressing the PS4!

New KoF trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2996PVu5Z4

"Burn to Fight" is such a 90s slogan. :)

What's more annoying, is that the two on screen characters are the only things casting real shadows, every other shadow on screen is pre-backed or just painted on textures. Seems like it's just a matter of someone noticing how bad they look and fixing it, it's not like the game is stressing the PS4!
That's because the light sources only apply to the two characters on screen. I doubt they would change that.

Edit:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022031/GuiltyGearXrd-s-Art-Style-The 18 minutes in. Each character has their own light source and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom