• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikirin

In case you weren't in Discord or missed it, I'm winding down my work for SRK and probably won't be popping up there anymore. I appreciate the opportunities I had there, but time to move on for me.

It'll be sad to see you go. Dat anime representation on SRK. :(

That said, hope that you'll still be writing somewhere. Liked your articles!

In case you weren't in Discord or missed it, I'm winding down my work for SRK and probably won't be popping up there anymore. I appreciate the opportunities I had there, but time to move on for me.

Who's still left there? The main guy left a couple of weeks ago, right?

Anne

First Ian and now you, I take it something is going down behind the scenes there?

Nothing happened behind the scenes, we both individually left for our own reasons.

It'll be sad to see you go. Dat anime representation on SRK. :(

That said, hope that you'll still be writing somewhere. Liked your articles!

I'll still be writing. My type of articles might fit better elsewhere.

Who's still left there? The main guy left a couple of weeks ago, right?

Yeah, Ian left last week or so. Lance is still there and he does a lot of work, and I've seen d3v's name more often. They are hiring at the moment if anybody is interested, the deadline for apps is tomorrow.

good luck with your future endeavors, Anne

Thank yous.

Shouta

Forget I asked. Might as well have ask a random kids at Gamestop with that level of response. Waste of time, sorry.

You could ask us why we think it's fun and explain why you're bored with it.

That might not save you from the other's sarcastic responses though.

Shun

Es from XBlaze is officially confirmed for BlazBlue CentralFiction in the latest issue of Famitsu on the 14th for console for PS3/PS4 this fall.

shaowebb

Es from XBlaze is officially confirmed for BlazBlue CentralFiction in the latest issue of Famitsu on the 14th for console for PS3/PS4 this fall.

Really? Huh...maybe we'll see some more cast from the Remix Heart Manga next. It has some good potential roster as well. Ninja poisoner seems like the most obvious choice.

Nothing happened behind the scenes, we both individually left for our own reasons.

I'll still be writing. My type of articles might fit better elsewhere.

Yeah, Ian left last week or so. Lance is still there and he does a lot of work, and I've seen d3v's name more often. They are hiring at the moment if anybody is interested, the deadline for apps is tomorrow.

Thank yous.

shouldve moved into illuminati status like I said

Tripon

The facts about SFV is that the actual gameplay of SFV is really fun, but everything around it is kinda broken and shows that it needs at least another 6 months in the can in order to work out all the kinks. But that's sorta everyone opinion from who I talk to, so I'm not sure what ZtS is looking for differently.

The facts about SFV is that the actual gameplay of SFV is really fun, but everything around it is kinda broken and shows that it needs at least another 6 months in the can in order to work out all the kinks. But that's sorta everyone opinion from who I talk to, so I'm not sure what ZtS is looking for differently.

I think he wants an essay on the minutia that provides a sense of satisfaction while playing sf5

El Sloth

Banned
Most people don't feel the need to justify why things they enjoy are fun. They just are.

I really love Street Fighter V's speed. Everyone hits hard, well except Fang, and the movement itself, dashes & walk speed, is quick. I like that each player's "turns" are shorter and more fluid. The game just has a nice flow to it during matches. I appreciate how simple the game is to play. Systemic things like the input buffer, but also competing against another person just feels simpler. As in I don't have as many things to worry about compared to some other games. I personally don't feel like I have to fight both the game along with the other person every round. I really like the characters and how none of them feel useless. Gief is a struggle, but even then I still think he's viable. Every character feels like they can win. Also, I'm just glad its more Street Fighter.

Good luck with whatever you plan on doing, Anne. Personally hoping to see a sudden increase in afgc related long reads on ESPN...

I like SFV's feeling of play. I have grown fond of the "stubby" normals. I love its more simplified flow. Less worrying about silly things like focus attacks, and while v reversals are a thing, I find them more mechanically interesting due to their risk reward nature. By that I mean It's really easy for a v reversal to whiff or even get blocked, on top of the fact you're sacrificing meter away from your v trigger. I like that the game has less viable normal AA options making people jump happy. Before it annoyed me but the more I play the more it's making me a better player that's got their eyes on the sky and on the ground. I like that its combos are easier to do because I had a lot of trouble with the 1 frame links in SFIV. I can't do the SFV combos with complete ease but they're easier for me grasp and learn. I'm a player who feels that combos should be terribly hard to do. I like its sense of speed without feeling like it sacrifices a slower, methodical feel compared to other fighters by comparison. I just really enjoy the game and even after release I cannot understand the backlash to the actual gameplay, which I find to be amazing.

shaowebb

Most people don't feel the need to justify why things they enjoy are fun. They just are.

I like this statement a lot. Even if its not my cup of tea I dig that people play games to have fun more than to be a part of something popular sometimes.

People denying merits of games that they dont play sucks and is the flipside to this coin though. People like what they like, but when they dont click with a game thats still good then its the same story...folks are just not gonna like what they dont. I figured that out when I started playing anime and kept repeatedly trying to point out the merits of games. Eventually, the response was "okay thats cool, but its just not clicking for me because anime." I can accept that.

Sucks when I can't get folks to try other stuff, but honestly I just like the idea that folks are doing different things with fighters and telling people about it more than having a scene develop for things. I like seeing folks play games for fun and just remembering why they ever picked up the hobby after I see too many threads of game complaints on various forums. If folks are having fun, then thats the point. If they play to be part of the new flavor in spite of not enjoying it then it'd be different, but if its fun for em then good on em.

Keep having fun SFV folk. You do you.

A lot of people who shit on SFV, in my experience, haven't played it or haven't played enough of it.

It's not that their complaints don't have merit, but they throw the game under the bus completely despite a great game being there and they're completely uninterested in seeing it. I can understand not liking it if you're about arcade mode though.

shaowebb

A lot of people who shit on SFV, in my experience, haven't played it or haven't played enough of it.

It's not that their complaints don't have merit, but they throw the game under the bus completely despite a great game being there and they're completely uninterested in seeing it. I can understand not liking it if you're about arcade mode though.

Eh...acknowledge the good and the bad both with any game and then voice whether there was enough there for you or not. I mean Arcana Heart had a large story mode, side stories and an additional aftermath story, but I wouldn't say it'd be something folks should tick off on a list making it appeal to them. Arcade mode is either a feature that's something you are for or not and its either a story you enjoy or not. Its not really a matter as simple of it just being there IMO. Arcana Heart's arcade mode story is huge but is likely not one I'd see most people touting as a reason the game was better than another for unless they were super anime fans so its just a quality of life thing that its there IMO.

Either the single player is there AND its the kind you enjoy or you'd probably see the player lose interest or complain even if its there. Its not necessarily a "being about them arcade modes "thing is how I see it I guess.

I'm someone who just likes a lot to achieve per character. Unlocking story snippets, art, and colors is something I dig. Its a reason to try various stuff and discover new things when otherwise I'd just streamline a character or two. Having Arcade mode for me is something I enjoy for that reason and I know its a big deal for casuals too whose main content is stuff like that over getting better. The money is with casuals and failing to cater to them is showing clear sales impact and a reason for strong criticism to be viable for SFV. Its not so much about being super into arcade mode as just the game having very little to do outside of just grinding for FGC stuff which most casuals hate. Just needed more time in the oven.
I have been watching some Koihime, I kinda want to try it.

Do it. Its very very low execution and its very tight with footsies. If you're a SF fan you'd probably dig what Koihime Enbu brings to the gameplay. Just remember that when you crumple someone you also gain new move properties and stuff to certain things. Its how you gain access to your Ultra as well meaning you can just raw Ultra someone. Have to confirm it.

Capcom has to be considering releasing a Super Street Fighter 5 or some sort of equivalent (can't really call it GOTY) after the season 1 stuff is all out, even though they promised they wouldn't do that. This game need some sort of relaunch really badly.

I'm still enjoying it but there really isn't much there if you aren't already invested in Street Fighter.

Eh...acknowledge the good and the bad both with any game and then voice whether there was enough there for you or not. I mean Arcana Heart had a large story mode, side stories and an additional aftermath story, but I wouldn't say it'd be something folks should tick off on a list making it appeal to them. Arcade mode is either a feature that's something you are for or not and its either a story you enjoy or not. Its not really a matter as simple of it just being there IMO. Arcana Heart's arcade mode story is huge but is likely not one I'd see most people touting as a reason the game was better than another for unless they were super anime fans so its just a quality of life thing that its there IMO.

Either the single player is there AND its the kind you enjoy or you'd probably see the player lose interest or complain even if its there. Its not necessarily a "being about them arcade modes "thing is how I see it I guess.

I'm someone who just likes a lot to achieve per character. Unlocking story snippets, art, and colors is something I dig. Its a reason to try various stuff and discover new things when otherwise I'd just streamline a character or two. Having Arcade mode for me is something I enjoy for that reason and I know its a big deal for casuals too whose main content is stuff like that over getting better. The money is with casuals and failing to cater to them is showing clear sales impact and a reason for strong criticism to be viable for SFV. Its not so much about being super into arcade mode as just the game having very little to do outside of just grinding for FGC stuff which most casuals hate. Just needed more time in the oven.

I understand that completely.

We all like different things about the same games.

But no one who likes playing SFV claims it's perfect. I certainly haven't. The game deserved to bomb like it did. I'm talking about people who act like it has nothing to offer, or are shocked people like playing it like the aforementioned ZTS posts.

shaowebb

But no one who likes playing SFV claims it's perfect. I certainly haven't. The game deserved to bomb like it did. I'm talking about people who act like it has nothing to offer, or are shocked people like playing it like the aforementioned ZTS posts.

I dig that. I mean I can see it didn't have enough to win me back into Street Fighter, but I wont deny the things it had I liked. I really digged Dhalsim's new stuff FANG's poison stuff, Rashid's cool wind properties, anyone having a teleport dash (Bison doing that is cool. I played Karas for that single ability) and what they did and just seeing Alex and Urien coming back.

There's good and bad.

You know what this brings up something fun...what is some some stuff you feel is BAD about a fighting game you love?

For me...

TVC-Giants go against the meta of the game and I dont dig them being playable roster. I also don't dig how Megacrash makes people almost never use supers unless it kills. I feel it costs us a lot of offense because its so good. I also dont believe any combo breaker mechanic should convert to combo like Megacrash can. All bad.

Arcana Heart-Side bars. You constantly have anime folks dancing around on the screen and you cant remove them. I believe they tried once in another title and as it turns out doing so affected things like screen size and I think possibly frame rate causing real changes to game play. Also I hate that so many mechanics have zero explanation and you HAVE to look shit up constantly to play. They dont even teach players what any arcanas do or anything about your Extend Force (xfactor) abilities being different depending on what you selected. It doesn't talk about attacks clashing, or bursts or anything. You go in blind and get lost.

Injustice Gods Among Us- The side mode missions are really really bad minigames. Just not interesting. They feel like bad cel phone games sometimes. Also the Wager system is boring and damned near worthless. It doesn't achieve what it set out to create at all.

Zissou

I land on the day it's happening so and I'm not gonna be in the city :/. I would really like to go though.

Definitely gonna check out the E-sports bar for SFV tho

Sucks about the timing :(

You're talking about Kyamei's bar (Cross-up), yeah?

Say what? It's very similar

Both games have oki but I don't think you can quite equate the two. The more oki-focused characters in xrd have stuff more difficult than any oki in SFV by a country mile.

MrDaravon

aw yiss

Mike Ross ‏@ThatMikeRossGuy 5m5 minutes ago
Ssssssup. I have things to talk about, plus an event to announce at 7pm PST http://Twitch.tv/capcomfighter . See you soon.
Cf4iE1YUYAAMk5i.jpg

He's not shocked haha

He just...doesn't think the praise is deserved I guess.

MrDaravon

If every week is gonna degenerate into them playing 3+ games against the same person they really need to make the show longer.

They should make the show longer anyway, but still.

Edit: The xvideos invites lol. I do really wish you could turn that off, it's pretty annoying every week with the constant pop-ups.

YOOOOOOOOOOOO the guy left LOL. That's fantastic.

If every week is gonna degenerate into them playing 3+ games against the same person they really need to make the show longer.

They should make the show longer anyway, but still.

Edit: The xvideos invites lol. I do really wish you could turn that off, it's pretty annoying every week with the constant pop-ups.

I thought you could turn off those notifications in options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom