• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

.la1n

Popularity of a NeoGAF OT for a game is not the barometer by which I'd choose to estimate a game's popularity or lasting appeal.

Wiseblade

It's a shame that the online narrative for Pokkén seems to be so negative though. Nintendo/Pokémon fans spend all their time criticising the roster for not having enough Fighting types or Gen 1 Pokémon and pointing at the inclusion of unconventional choices like Chandelure as wasted slots.

Meanwhile, much of the FGC is writing the game off as too different due to the phase shifting nature or just outright ignoring it.

Tripon

CgIEWOAUUAAj9YK.jpg

https://twitter.com/ScrubQuotesX/status/721143670964035585

shaowebb

Popularity of a NeoGAF OT for a game is not the barometer by which I'd choose to estimate a game's popularity or lasting appeal.
This. There is a reason the FGC is known as a vocal minority. We talk loud and a lot about stuff, but we really arent any representation on what's gonna be successful or on what games are not good. There are plenty of fighters no one here talks about constantly that are damned good and competitive. Pretty much all the anime side, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, DOA, MK...these are all pretty competitive and tournament worthy but they dont get near the attention capcom stuff does here. Less Neogaf attention doesn't mean less quality.
It's a shame that the online narrative for Pokkén seems to be so negative though. Nintendo/Pokémon fans spend all their time criticising the roster for not having enough Fighting types or Gen 1 Pokémon and pointing at the inclusion of unconventional choices like Chandelure as wasted slots.

Meanwhile, much of the FGC is writing the game off as too different due to the phase shifting nature or just outright ignoring it.

Meh. With the numbers it sold it should have a solid player base just by the law of large numbers averaging out to more players. Game seems competitive and fresh. I see it doin fine for now. Will it have its own circuit of tournaments? Who knows. Wouldn't matter if it didn't with those kind of sales. It'll be around. Nintendo would likely make sure of it if no one else bothered.

EDIT:
Yeah...this looks solid enough to stay.

NEO0MJ

If Pokken's doing okay then it's looking more likely Melee will get the boot to make room for KOF at EVO.

Who says anyone wants KOF at EVO?

I'm just kidding. But it's a tough question. As we saw from last EVO the people who play Smash 4 and Melee only share a quarter of their players and dropping any one of them will cause an uproar as each one of them had almost 2k players participating in the tournament. And except for Melee and UMvC3 all games this year are still being heavily supported by their sponsors.

Maybe expand the venue even more? But even if they could there's not enough time I feel to give each game enough spotlight. They're barely doing that as it is.

shaowebb

I dont see melee being dropped. Honestly its hard to say what will be around a year from now. I'd have thought Blaz Blue should've been there this year, but we saw how that went. I hate to say it,but there are just too many major titles now to run a tournament this size for all of them in so few days. Problem is its super hard to get folks enough time off to go to these tournaments and enough funds to afford it as is...extending EVO may hurt it. Theres no real solution to this. We want tournies and we all want our superbowl big event at the end of each season. We just got too many titles now for a single event. Last year we had a LOT of overlapping pool stuff and running around and its not the first time. This year we got split venues requiring travel on the last day as well. Its gonna be a lot for the players to work with if they play multiple games.

shaowebb

Who says anyone wants KOF at EVO?

Damn right

:(

Real talk though, I really wanna try some of that new cast. Right now I REALLY wanna play an all new flavor team of Kukri/Banderas/MuiMui in that order. Teleports, low immune moves and what I think is an OTG super and shit with Kukri look great and Mui Mui looks like she has rekkas, a command grab and that crazy loop de loop looks like I can use it for interesting shenanigans. Plus Banderas looks both cool in his moves and is pretty much Roger Sasuke. I am IN on trying to learn him.

Team New hotness meets Slides, counters, and grabs

I am super eager to get my hands on this game. I am largely buying a PS4 for it. Banderas will be a fucking nightmare in the corner with that mashable into counter and also having a command grab. Wake up hit buttons get countered. Wakeup blocking get grabbed. Pressure with hands to bait into counter. They try to run and you use slide to go under projectiles. Dude is so my man.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
GAF is life. If there isn't a huge community on GAF or gaming forums in general for a game it doesn't mean much to me personally. Pokken is starting to pick up mainstream popularity but it's barely a game for the hardcore. Like I said usually anything Pokemon related attracts huge amounts of people. Even though it's not developed by Nintendo I'd expected way more people to talk and play it on GAF. The amount of people yapping in the SFV OT is what I expected from that game at least. What is a game if you can't really share thoughts and feelings about it with other people? I don't care if a game sells billions but if there isn't anybody talking or doing all the little things with it the game is dead to me. That's one thing SFV has going for it. It may not have sales of like every other fighter but way more people are talking and playing it than any other.

Nightii

Banned
What's the NPD thread equivalent for ranking how much a game gets talk and feelings sharing? I need to see SFV top at least one kind list.

Nuu

Banned
I dont see melee being dropped. Honestly its hard to say what will be around a year from now. I'd have thought Blaz Blue should've been there this year, but we saw how that went. I hate to say it,but there are just too many major titles now to run a tournament this size for all of them in so few days. Problem is its super hard to get folks enough time off to go to these tournaments and enough funds to afford it as is...extending EVO may hurt it. Theres no real solution to this. We want tournies and we all want our superbowl big event at the end of each season. We just got too many titles now for a single event. Last year we had a LOT of overlapping pool stuff and running around and its not the first time. This year we got split venues requiring travel on the last day as well. Its gonna be a lot for the players to work with if they play multiple games.

I feel it would be best to have separate "Super Bowl" events for each type titles.

• EVO which covers the most mainstream (and Capcom) focused fighting games.
  • An Anime fighter tournament (seperate from EVO) that focuses on anime and doujin fighters.
  • A Brawler/Arena tournament that revolves around titles such as Smash Bros., Pokken, and Rivals of Aether.
  • A miscellaneous fighting game tournament that covers mostly "side games" such as Blazblue, King of Fighters XIII, and Skullgirls.
  • A retro tournament that focuses on classic games such as Third Strike, Marvel vs Capcom 2, King of Fighters '98, and Vampire Savior.
However, this will screw over people who play multiple games at once. Though one could argue this is already starting to happen.

The game is on a Nintendo system. Most of the FGC don't own a Nintendo system. Therefore they hate it.

.la1n

GAF is life. If there isn't a huge community on GAF or gaming forums in general for a game it doesn't mean much to me personally. Pokken is starting to pick up mainstream popularity but it's barely a game for the hardcore. Like I said usually anything Pokemon related attracts huge amounts of people. Even though it's not developed by Nintendo I'd expected way more people to talk and play it on GAF. The amount of people yapping in the SFV OT is what I expected from that game at least. What is a game if you can't really share thoughts and feelings about it with other people? I don't care if a game sells billions but if there isn't anybody talking or doing all the little things with it the game is dead to me. That's one thing SFV has going for it. It may not have sales of like every other fighter but way more people are talking and playing it than any other.

I can respect that. My personal view though is this: if my only option was to sit around and theory fight with gaffers and other randoms all day I would go mad. That probably has to do with growing up during the late 80s and early 90s arcade boom. I need to have opponents next to me, and no amount of skyping or party chatting is going to fix that.

Wiseblade

I feel it would be best to have separate "Super Bowl" events for each type titles.

• An Anime fighter tournament (seperate from EVO) that focuses on anime and doujin fighters.
  • A Brawler/Arena tournament that revolves around titles such as Smash Bros., Pokken, and Rivals of Aether.
  • A miscellaneous fighting game tournament that covers mostly "side games" such as Blazblue, King of Fighters XIII, and Skullgirls.
  • A retro tournament that focuses on classic games such as Third Strike, Marvel vs Capcom 2, King of Fighters '98, and Vampire Savior.
However, this will screw over people who play multiple games at once. Though one could argue this is already starting to happen.
I don't like the way that divides the community. The best thing about the FGC is that you get events with a variety of games under one roof, unlike other competitive events which are largely focused on a single game or developer. Pokkén is poised to have a long and healthy life as part of the Pokémon world Championship circuit, but I want to see such a unique game to reach the biggest audience possible.

shaowebb

The game is on a Nintendo system. Most of the FGC don't own a Nintendo system. Therefore they hate it.
KOF is no side game. Its got an enormous world presence.
All semantics aside though I see what you're going for. Find a way to distinguish titles to their demographic crowds like how brawler or arena stuff with Pokken and Smash or Gundam vs or whatever tend to have a seperate following from the more traditional 2.5d crowd. Likewise how airdash fighters, anime fans and more string based fighters have seperate crowds most times.

I get this...it'd just need a lot more than one event honestly to pull this off. They'd each need their own seasons with a chain of publicized events with just those titles. The issue is we want to grow and for that tournaments pop up constantly to grow scenes in areas and due to this we can not really have the structured events that a league format tends to allow for. We get whatever scenes are in the area and those will be what are at the tourney most times and we still want our superbowl in the midst of this "throw it all at the wall and see what sticks" year of tournament formatting.

There's no real way to change it. Only thing to do is just build up more events with particular crowd format structure like CEOtaku and APEX in how they specialize towards certain games and crowds.

Soooooo...I guess I just feel we really need to build up more events that structure their formats to target crowds rather than clusters and try to grow these sort of events to see what ends up the big ones for each title each year and accept EVO will just always be EVO...the everything event where you will just have to observe some restraint lest you spread yourself too thin. Rough for those that money compete multiple games, but theres no changing EVO itself. We just need other events to help out that aren't on the same weekend that grow to its status amongst their demographic.

Nuu

Banned
All semantics aside though I see what you're going for.
I really thank you for this. This is unfortunately very rare to see on the internet.

Find a way to distinguish titles to their demographic crowds like how brawler or arena stuff with Pokken and Smash or Gundam vs or whatever tend to have a seperate following from the more traditional 2.5d crowd. Likewise how airdash fighters, anime fans and more string based fighters have seperate crowds most times.

I get this...it'd just need a lot more than one event honestly to pull this off. They'd each need their own seasons with a chain of publicized events with just those titles. The issue is we want to grow and for that tournaments pop up constantly to grow scenes in areas and due to this we can not really have the structured events that a league format tends to allow for. We get whatever scenes are in the area and those will be what are at the tourney most times and we still want our superbowl in the midst of this "throw it all at the wall and see what sticks" year of tournament formatting.

There's no real way to change it. Only thing to do is just build up more events with particular crowd format structure like CEOtaku and APEX in how they specialize towards certain games and crowds.

Soooooo...I guess I just feel we really need to build up more events that structure their formats to target crowds rather than clusters and try to grow these sort of events to see what ends up the big ones for each title each year and accept EVO will just always be EVO...the everything event where you will just have to observe some restraint lest you spread yourself too thin. Rough for those that money compete multiple games, but theres no changing EVO itself. We just need other events to help out that aren't on the same weekend that grow to its status amongst their demographic.

I agree with all of this. However, these events growing is certainly happening slowly but surely. Skullgirls major event this year is Combobreaker, and was on track to long before not having a presence in AniEvo this year. Smash has been having a rocky relationship with Evo for years and Apex has grown like crazy. Etc.

Nuu

Banned
So the top piece of my fightstick box that connects slides into the bottom got unstuck from the back.

What is the best way to stick it back together? I assume super glue, but am worried that might get too messy.
gHlGcrl.jpg

Bigger image.

shaowebb

For those that missed it Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is on sale right now on the playstation store for $14.79

Its a great fighting game, though a bit colorful. It has a LOT of system mechanics to it and its pretty deep and juicy to dig into with lots of content. For just under $15 its worth getting and enjoying if you haven't given it a shot yet.

Rhapsody

Banned
That was a really good set from Fumi's Nine.

Edit: Fumi's Nine vs Dora's Bang. Just ended.

Now it'll be Ryo's Litchi vs Shima's Izanami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom