• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CO_Andy

Guile's third special will just be a command to take off his shades

Of course it's not like he needs a third special when his V-Trigger turns him into Rainbow Edition Guile

shaowebb

With that stationary boom my mind jumped to Ash's stationary flames, that dude was not fun to deal with for grapplers.

Let's see how things go with Mika against Guile, can't say I'm looking forward to the match up.

Or in the corner. Locked the fuck down. Ash's slow fireball super made him able to corner too. Loved watching Mr KoF play Ash. He'd juggle you so long you'd think you were watching Tekken.

EDIT: Rewatched KOF 13 some...Man if KOF 14 is as good as 13 its gonna shit all over SFV sales.

Numb

Guile's third special will just be a command to take off his shades

Of course it's not like he needs a third special when his V-Trigger turns him into Rainbow Edition Guile

He has the shades to hide the eyebrows they gave him so he won't take them off
Grapplers in trouble

Warxard

Banned
EDIT: Rewatched KOF 13 some...Man if KOF 14 is as good as 13 its gonna shit all over SFV sales.

I would be genuinely surprised if KOF gets half of what Street Fighter V sold in terms of sales.

I expect KOFXIV to be a flop in sales, like every other KOF console game before it.

Sure wish all of those 'No Mai No Buy' assholes actually like, bought XIII so we wouldn't have had to wait FIVE YEARS for a KOF Sequel

Tizoc

I would be genuinely surprised if KOF gets half of what Street Fighter V sold in terms of sales.

I expect KOFXIV to be a flop in sales, like every other KOF console game before it.

Sure wish all of those 'No Mai No Buy' assholes actually like, bought XIII so we wouldn't have had to wait FIVE YEARS for a KOF Sequel
Funnily enough didnt kof 13 do well on console release?

who called guile having bulleta's dark arts? I did. That's right

and lmao at the rq policy. It seems like they still won't lose the points.

Slaythe

Wow that KOF 13 match was unbelievable ! It's a lot of fun to watch KOF fights.

But I feel it's a horrid game for newcomers.

That's why I think GGxrd is a fantastic alternative, as in, you need to fuck up several times to actually lose a fight. It's not as punishing on one mistake (outside of a few characters that can ruin you) so you get to learn faster what you can and can't do.

shaowebb

Wow that KOF 13 match was unbelievable ! It's a lot of fun to watch KOF fights.

But I feel it's a horrid game for newcomers.

That's why I think GGxrd is a fantastic alternative, as in, you need to fuck up several times to actually lose a fight. It's not as punishing on one mistake (outside of a few characters that can ruin you) so you get to learn faster what you can and can't do.

13 was extremely execution heavy and incredible in spite of that flaw. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut I got some good news for you...

Oda said in an interview with 4Gamer that the main goal for this title is to make it "the easiest to play" of the series

And its got a roster upwards of 50. Plus KOF 13 sold somewhere around 305,000 to 310,000 (reports vary). I'd say it'll have pretty respectable sales. I wanted KOF 13 to be my main when I dumped marvel but I couldn't keep up due to college and work. I can play more now and KOF 14 is easier to keep up with in execution. KOF 14 is probably gonna be my first new serious main game in a long time. When MKX flopped for PC I was left without a title way back with Jason and I've been floating and playing everything else ever since.

Unless KOF14 has a ton of features and ridiculously godlike online I don't see how it can sell more than SFV. If good mechanics and solid gameplay were all a game needed then SFV wouldn't have bombed.

shaowebb

Thats not a flaw, just an aspect of the game.

Eh...I feel if the entry barrier to a game isn't a steady slope but a sudden vertical shot its a flaw. I'm a pretty big follower of the Mike Z approach to execution barriers. In other words, make as few as possible so more people can pick up your game and start having fun with it. Mileage may vary per who you main of course in KOF. Still didn't feel some of those inputs were necessary even if there are shortcuts.

Tripon

I can see KOF selling half a million in two or so months worldwide. But that would be its global numbers.

Do we know if KoF 14 will have an arcade release?

Eh...I feel if the entry barrier to a game isn't a steady slope but a sudden vertical shot its a flaw. I'm a pretty big follower of the Mike Z approach to execution barriers. In other words, make as few as possible so more people can pick up your game and start having fun with it. Mileage may vary per who you main of course in KOF. Still didn't feel some of those inputs were necessary even if there are shortcuts.
I am once again reminded of an old Kotaku article, in which command moves with high dexterity requirements are defended (sort of).

I'm a pretty big follower of the Mike Z approach to execution barriers. In other words, make as few as possible so more people can pick up your game and start having fun with it.
This gets even more complicated with how varied the characters get and the things you learn with one don't necessarily transfer to another. Which is even worse if you accidentally pick a character that is apparently not intended for beginners.

The Light

Did the.move from arcade to consoles become a factor in long combo and low damage focused games? I assume damage was high in older arcade games to get the loser to spend more money.
Unless KOF14 has a ton of features and ridiculously godlike online I don't see how it can sell more than SFV. If good mechanics and solid gameplay were all a game needed then SFV wouldn't have bombed.
Well did sfv really bomb? Maybe the series isn't as big anymore as everyone thought.

Nuu

Banned
13 was extremely execution heavy and incredible in spite of that flaw. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut I got some good news for you...

And its got a roster upwards of 50. Plus KOF 13 sold somewhere around 305,000 to 310,000 (reports vary). I'd say it'll have pretty respectable sales. I wanted KOF 13 to be my main when I dumped marvel but I couldn't keep up due to college and work. I can play more now and KOF 14 is easier to keep up with in execution. KOF 14 is probably gonna be my first new serious main game in a long time. When MKX flopped for PC I was left without a title way back with Jason and I've been floating and playing everything else ever since.

It sold more than 600,000 if you include PC sales.

This gets even more complicated with how varied the characters get and the things you learn with one don't necessarily transfer to another. Which is even worse if you accidentally pick a character that is apparently not intended for beginners.

Skullgirls doesn't have that problem and has an extremely diverse cast. Things may only get complicated if you REALLY play the game, but by then you are no longer a beginner.

yay more exaggeration of KOF XIII's execution requirements

The game has basic stuff execution-wise that you can play with and form a basic gameplan for the larger part of the cast, and offers room for growth starting from there. If you're trying to run before you can walk it's not the game's fault.

Well did sfv really bomb? Maybe the series isn't as big anymore as everyone thought.

Street Fighter IV success was based soley on the fact it was billed as a true succesor to Street Fighter II and there wasn't a Street Fighter game for 10 years.

Then Capcom milked the cow too hard with the constant upgraded versions that Street Fighter V didn't feel like something special.

That's the real reason it has failed, combined with all the other stuff. That is the BIG reason though. Remember MK9 dropped in 2011 & MKX dropped in 2015. That's 4 years. That's enough time to create demand. Super was a year after Vanilla, which was a year before AE which was a year before 2012 which was a year before SFxT which was a year before Ultra.

Overstaturation.

Pompadour

Street Fighter IV success was based soley on the fact it was billed as a true succesor to Street Fighter II and there wasn't a Street Fighter game for 10 years.

Then Capcom milked the cow too hard with the constant upgraded versions that Street Fighter V didn't feel like something special.

That's the real reason it has failed, combined with all the other stuff. That is the BIG reason though. Remember MK9 dropped in 2011 & MKX dropped in 2015. That's 4 years. That's enough time to create demand. Super was a year after Vanilla, which was a year before AE which was a year before 2012 which was a year before SFxT which was a year before Ultra.

Overstaturation.

Yeah, I agree that this was probably the reason why SFV didn't put up SFIV numbers (with the caveat that Capcom made things way worse with such an abysmal launch). What's really unfortunate is that there seems to be a direct conflict between what hardcore fighting game fans want (continued updates and revisions) vs. what casual fans what (the occasional fighting game treated as a big event). It bugs me that games like Super Street Fighter IV or Ultra Street Fighter IV won't be played by casual fans but their existence will decrease the likelihood of them picking up Street Fighter V.

Plus, I think too much innovation is generally a bad thing for fighting games. If you look at the genre most of the games are fundamentally similar, probably way similar then games in other genres. If you count 2D fighter as a subgenre, essentially every game follows the mold that Street Fighter built except Mortal Kombat (which is slightly different) and Smash Bros. (which is so different some people (stupidly) don't consider it a fighting game. So even if there's a lot of changes that really excite fighting game fans the casual fans see Street Fighter V and see SF4.5. Things like soft knockdowns, SFxT's charge cancel into counterhit, and Crush Counters are the things that excite fighting game fans but are absolutely boring to casual fans. Those fans look at a game like Mortal Kombat and see that you can grab shit that's sitting the background and beat your opponent with it and that clicks with them that something new is happening. However, that's the kind of innovation I consider a negative for fighting games.

I think the balance is to essentially refine what fighting game fans like while tricking casual fans into thinking they're getting something new. SFV was sort of doing that with the interactable elements in the China stage but that went out the window with the game's rushed development.

My boy Daigo is going to main Guile. Be scared Infil. I know you will bop the shit out of his Ryu right now fo free, but you haven't faced his guile.

Perro

That Ash video makes me sad, such a frustrating character to play with. He needs those crazy Kain charge moves. That SDM antiair is a giant "fuck u git gud bitch".
Saiki tho, braindead as hell, my kind of character.

Nuu

Banned
Yeah, I agree that this was probably the reason why SFV didn't put up SFIV numbers (with the caveat that Capcom made things way worse with such an abysmal launch). What's really unfortunate is that there seems to be a direct conflict between what hardcore fighting game fans want (continued updates and revisions) vs. what casual fans what (the occasional fighting game treated as a big event). It bugs me that games like Super Street Fighter IV or Ultra Street Fighter IV won't be played by casual fans but their existence will decrease the likelihood of them picking up Street Fighter V.

Plus, I think too much innovation is generally a bad thing for fighting games. If you look at the genre most of the games are fundamentally similar, probably way similar then games in other genres. If you count 2D fighter as a subgenre, essentially every game follows the mold that Street Fighter built except Mortal Kombat (which is slightly different) and Smash Bros. (which is so different some people (stupidly) don't consider it a fighting game. So even if there's a lot of changes that really excite fighting game fans the casual fans see Street Fighter V and see SF4.5. Things like soft knockdowns, SFxT's charge cancel into counterhit, and Crush Counters are the things that excite fighting game fans but are absolutely boring to casual fans. Those fans look at a game like Mortal Kombat and see that you can grab shit that's sitting the background and beat your opponent with it and that clicks with them that something new is happening. However, that's the kind of innovation I consider a negative for fighting games.

I think the balance is to essentially refine what fighting game fans like while tricking casual fans into thinking they're getting something new. SFV was sort of doing that with the interactable elements in the China stage but that went out the window with the game's rushed development.
I still don't know why Capcom just doesn't make one new game as retail and have all the updates via DLC packages like Killer Instinct or Skullgirls.

Shouta

I still don't know why Capcom just doesn't make one new game as retail and have all the updates via DLC packages like Killer Instinct or Skullgirls.

That's the plan with SFV going forward. Before, they were still stuck on the disc releases.

Nuu

Banned
That's the plan with SFV going forward. Before, they were still stuck on the disc releases.

I also assume that the botched launch didn't help. They have to pull a Final Fantasy XIV and offer "Super Street Fighter V" as a free update to existing users and to replace Street Fighter V boxed copies.

Pompadour

I also assume that the botched launch didn't help. They have to pull a Final Fantasy XIV and offer "Super Street Fighter V" as a free update to existing users and to replace Street Fighter V boxed copies.

That is the issue. Their hope to capture a bigger base could be through rebranding but the idea of Capcom releasing revisions is poison. They can't call it Super or Ultra because people won't read far enough to discover that the update is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom