• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
Hey guys! Anyone in the OC area in SoCal familiar with eSports Arena in Santa Ana? I've been staring at their building across the street from the building where I work for like 6 months now and I only just found out they do a Wednesday Night Fight open tournament thing. I checked out their live stream on Twitch for the first time last night and found out it's hosted by Alex Valle and watched several players I recognized from West Coast Warzone last week beating up on a bunch of scrubs.

I was thinking of just waltzing in there during one of my lunch breaks to check it out, but I am such a fighting game noob and self-professed scrub that I wouldn't know what I'd be getting myself into. I'm a terrible rookie in SFV by the way, but I've wondered how casual-friendly that place is.

Oh, and if anyone wants to play a scrubby Karin player online, my CFN is ohdrahcir.
I'm from the EC and can't help you, but I remember commentary mentioning one time that drinks get discounted for those that lose in tournament, so there's that at least!

You might as well check it out for yourself, it can't hurt. I'm sure Valle is all about running an event that welcomes all types.

Edit: You should check their Facebook and event page out: https://www.facebook.com/wedsnightfights/timeline

https://smash.gg/tournament/weds-night-fights-2016-off-season-1-2

Bring Your Own Console (BYOC)

BYOC is back! One of the core features of Weds Night Fights is having dedicated BYOC sections throughout eSports Arena. We feel having a BYOC at all times increases the amount of play time for tournament players and to introduce new players to the scene. We have 2 levels of BYOC space throughout the venue so first come, first serve to set up shop with your favorite titles! (Please Note: We have limited supplies of consoles since many are used for WNF tournaments.)

Drahcir

I'm from the EC and can't help you, but I remember commentary mentioning one time that drinks get discounted for those that lose in tournament, so there's that at least!

You might as well check it out for yourself, it can't hurt. I'm sure Valle is all about running an event that welcomes all types.

Edit: You should check their Facebook and event page out: https://www.facebook.com/wedsnightfights/timeline

https://smash.gg/tournament/weds-night-fights-2016-off-season-1-2

Thanks for the links! I wish they had teaching sessions, but I suppose getting a first-rate beatdown is just as useful. It seems like a pretty cool place to get introduced to the FGC in the area.

mbpm1

Thanks for the links! I wish they had teaching sessions, but I suppose getting a first-rate beatdown is just as useful. It seems like a pretty cool place to get introduced to the FGC in the area.

Valle's place is supposed to be fairly welcoming, so I'm sure you'll find people willing to help out and chat a bit if you look.

CurlyW

Hey guys! Anyone in the OC area in SoCal familiar with eSports Arena in Santa Ana? I've been staring at their building across the street from the building where I work for like 6 months now and I only just found out they do a Wednesday Night Fight open tournament thing. I checked out their live stream on Twitch for the first time last night and found out it's hosted by Alex Valle and watched several players I recognized from West Coast Warzone last week beating up on a bunch of scrubs.

I was thinking of just waltzing in there during one of my lunch breaks to check it out, but I am such a fighting game noob and self-professed scrub that I wouldn't know what I'd be getting myself into. I'm a terrible rookie in SFV by the way, but I've wondered how casual-friendly that place is.

Oh, and if anyone wants to play a scrubby Karin player online, my CFN is ohdrahcir.

I don't think that the Esports Arena would have much going on during your lunch break (assuming you work traditional work hours). Based on the info I'm finding on their website, it doesn't even seem to be a LAN Center, much less an arcade (or a Next Level-type venue). It seems that its name is its literal purpose, i.e. hosting gaming competitions.

If you want to drop in, I would suggest doing it in the evening. Their events page seems to show something happening there on most nights (though it's not entirely clear because the calendar is irritatingly formatted). However, if you're only interested in fighting games, the nights to attend are Wednesdays for Wednesday Night Fights and Saturdays for Rushdown, which is just for casual play. For more info on the actual events, here are the facebook event pages for WNF and Rushdown.

Also, if you're interested in Super Smash Bros. Melee, I believe that the Esports Arena occasionally plays host to Super Smash Sundays. SSS usually has Smash 4 as well as Melee, but its Smash 4 competition is on the smaller side, while its Melee events draw close to 100 entrants and feature some of the best players in the country. SSS isn't held every week though, and it's sometimes on an irregular schedule. The next date hasn't even been officially confirmed yet, but when it is, it will appear on the facebook page of the organizers, Team Oxy.

Oh what, Showdown is this weekend?

Fuuuck...

Line_HTX

Nuu

Banned
Yeah the truth is that all fighting games are dying

Ehh, I still wouldn't say that. I believe the future of the genre is going to be much like adventure games. Active but dominated by independent developers. Which is fine by me. It isn't the fact that the games in the genre don't sell, it's the fact that they don't sell well enough in an age of "six million units or go home."

There are still many great fighting games coming out:

TRAF
Them Fighting Herds
Cerebrawl
to name a few.

Not to mention Rare will keep making Killer Instinct in the future, Netherrealm will keep making Mortal Kombat, Arc System Works will keep doing their things, and Examu and French Bread will still exist.

The genre will likely not go back to the Poverty Age that was 2002 - 2008 for some time.

Namco is a small company? o_O

I said SNK is a small company. I said Namco doesn't count because they never made 2D fighters to begin with.

I think its fair to say that 2d graphics are dying out when almost none of the big releases use them (Blazblue and Persona being the notable exceptions, though I'd hazard a lot of that is sunk cost at this point)

There are only two fighting game developers that aren't small which are Capcom and Arc System Works. The later still makes new sprite based games as we saw with Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden last year.

Onemic

Ehh, I still wouldn't say that. I believe the future of the genre is going to be much like adventure games. Active but dominated by independent developers. Which is fine by me. It isn't the fact that the games in the genre don't sell, it's the fact that they don't sell well enough in an age of "six million units or go home."

TRAF
Them Fighting Herds
Cerebrawl
to name a few.

Not to mention Rare will keep making Killer Instinct in the future, Neversoft will keep making Mortal Kombat, Arc System Works will keep doing their things, and Examu and French Bread will still exist.

The genre will likely not go back to the Poverty Age that was 2002 - 2008 for some time.

I said SNK is a small company. I said Namco doesn't count because they never made 2D fighters to begin with.

There are only two fighting game developers that aren't small which are Capcom and Arc System Works. The later still makes new sprite based games as we saw with Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden last year.

If eSports remain a lucrative venture for FG's then all FG's will continue to do well imo. Even SFV.

El Sloth

Banned
I don't think that the Esports Arena would have much going on during your lunch break (assuming you work traditional work hours). Based on the info I'm finding on their website, it doesn't even seem to be a LAN Center, much less an arcade (or a Next Level-type venue). It seems that its name is its literal purpose, i.e. hosting gaming competitions.

If you want to drop in, I would suggest doing it in the evening. Their events page seems to show something happening there on most nights (though it's not entirely clear because the calendar is irritatingly formatted). However, if you're only interested in fighting games, the nights to attend are Wednesdays for Wednesday Night Fights and Saturdays for Rushdown, which is just for casual play. For more info on the actual events, here are the facebook event pages for WNF and Rushdown.
The smash.gg page says there is some sort of dedicated fighting game corner to play in on most days as long as you're a Esports Arena member:

Dedicated Fighting Game Community Section provided by Level Up

If you are coming to practice on multiple days or meet up with friends for casuals, you can utilize the facility any day of the week with your membership or daily pass! As long as the facility isn’t fully booked by a private event, we are providing games to rushdown the competition!

Can prob just ask more about it there if he decides to go.

Drahcir

Also, if you're interested in Super Smash Bros. Melee, I believe that the Esports Arena occasionally plays host to Super Smash Sundays. SSS usually has Smash 4 as well as Melee, but its Smash 4 competition is on the smaller side, while its Melee events draw close to 100 entrants and feature some of the best players in the country. SSS isn't held every week though, and it's sometimes on an irregular schedule. The next date hasn't even been officially confirmed yet, but when it is, it will appear on the facebook page of the organizers, Team Oxy.

Oh, wait, you're right. I don't know why I thought it'd be like an arcade venue as well. Looks like it's membership only for those practicing to play in tournaments? I'm definitely not quite there yet. I see the times for casual play you pointed out. That's the info I was looking to find. Thanks! Wednesday nights look good. And I see spectating is free. Might just hang around one of their tournaments to take in the experience firsthand!

TRAF
Them Fighting Herds
Cerebrawl
to name a few.

Not to mention Rare will keep making Killer Instinct in the future, Neversoft will keep making Mortal Kombat, Arc System Works will keep doing their things, and Examu and French Bread will still exist.

You are listing, in effect, a lineup not dissimilar to that of the "dark age". Even the recent entries for Blazblue and Guilty Gear showed decline over their previous entries saleswise - if the trend continues with Revelator and CF, so you can't make the excuse of generational transition / extend release, what then?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
texas showdown and frogbyte @ Italy for cpt events
redbull kumite, sfv crash and smash summit for eeeeee-sports

There's the PAX East Arena thing as well.

32zI3it.jpg

shaowebb

Yeah the truth is that all fighting games are dying

For what its worth I'm paid for by a pretty good outside the indie career. I could make jack shit and still produce stuff. I promise not to quit working on fighting games no matter what the industry looks like for the genre. No clue how many iterations it'll take before I get it right, but I will be doin this and I aint the only guy out there with a passion project in the genre. Indie dudes will make certain there is something to play even if the major publishers back off.

Anyone going to TX Showdown this weekend? I figure I might do dinner up in that area Saturday night and then try and pop in for a couple of hours. Maybe check out the exhibition matches or something.

Would be nice to say hello to anyone going.

Anne

not illuminatti but grats.

Where the source of this 1% stats anne? Gotta cite that shit. Also wouldnt it be better to put links of the ppl's twitter or youtube/twitch of Jazz's stuff in the article as well?

As far as twitter stuff goes, what I did was make sure to tag and shout them out on twitter. Keep twitter on twitter if I can. I did embed a video of one the exhibitions which leads to Jazz and lets people see some stuff.

Edit: their twitter tags are all included in the RB tweet as well.

Sayad

Bandai-Namco does make 2D fighters every now and then though, last one I know of being a DBZ game on the 3DS which came out less than a year ago.

Not to mention Rare will keep making Killer Instinct in the future, Neversoft will keep making Mortal Kombat...
This made me smile.

Nuu

Banned
You are listing, in effect, a lineup not dissimilar to that of the "dark age". Even the recent entries for Blazblue and Guilty Gear showed decline over their previous entries saleswise - if the trend continues with Revelator and CF, so you can't make the excuse of generational transition / extend release, what then?

The "Dark Age" only had relatively few titles released in a span of a few years. The entire period was dominated by shoe-string budget games, Guilty Gear, and Melty Blood. There is much more diversity now and developers creating games.

Blazblue will obviously show a decline being that the game series is almost ten years old. On the other side Killer Instinct is doing great as is Mortal Kombat. Rivals of Aether is selling solid as well. The only game that bombed was Street Fighter V which is due to a huge amount of reasons. As for Xrd I know it opened mediocrely in Japan but its Western sales seem to be reasonable.

Bandai-Namco does make 2D fighters every now and then though, last one I know of being a DBZ game on the 3DS which came out less than a year ago.

That was developed by Arc System Works. It was only published by Namco.

This made me smile.

They have to do something to revive the series.

There's going to be an 8 man tournament on Japanese television new program "Ii Spo." It's on Fuji Tv one. It will simultaneously be streamed on twitch. I'll update you guys when the stream channel is known.

The matchups:
Nemo vs Marco (eu 3s player)
Haitani vs Fuudo
Matsuri vs Haku
Eita vs Mago

April 23rd, 6 pm jpn, 2 am pst, 5 am est, 10 am UK

Red Bull also put up the kumite trailer.
https://youtu.be/GyKhrxMj2J4

This weekend's thread should have a lot of activity.

Update:

Twitch channel is twitch.tv/iispo_official

Anyone going to TX Showdown this weekend? I figure I might do dinner up in that area Saturday night and then try and pop in for a couple of hours. Maybe check out the exhibition matches or something.

Would be nice to say hello to anyone going.

I was thinking about it but decided not too since I would need to use a vacation day or 2 for the return trip because events usually end pretty late. I'm going to Dreamhack Austin which is 2 weeks after that though, so if you are going to check that out I'll be there. I sadly didn't get BYOC tickets though because those damn things got sold out, but maybe we can get some casuals in somehow over there.

I also just remembered, but wasn't Wizard going to put up new deals for hotels for EVO? Anyone know an estimate? I want to get a room before things get swiped up and didn't get a plane ticket yet, even though I bought a decent ticket for finals day already.

shaowebb

What is "rollback integration"?

Madscientist made CCCaster for Melty Blood which gave the game Rollback Netcode back before steam. I read up on it over the past few days and the shit was apparently amazingly good. Now it looks like the dude is getting to slap it into Melty Blood's steam edition too.

On day 1 after reading up trying to get a handle on things I felt a bit let down that this incredible mod wouldn't be apart of this official thing and now it looks like it actually will!

I was thinking about it but decided not too since I would need to use a vacation day or 2 for the return trip because events usually end pretty late. I'm going to Dreamhack Austin which is 2 weeks after that though, so if you are going to check that out I'll be there. I sadly didn't get BYOC tickets though because those damn things got sold out, but maybe we can get some casuals in somehow over there.
Ah bummer. It would have been cool to kick it prior to Evo. I won't be at Dreamhack. It looked awesome but I couldn't budget it with the rest of my vacas this year.

Not sure yet if I can make it.

Would be cool to meet up and say hello! PM me or something if you do wind up going. I probably won't check this thread that often.

Nuu

Banned
Madscientist made CCCaster for Melty Blood which gave the game Rollback Netcode back before steam. I read up on it over the past few days and the shit was apparently amazingly good. Now it looks like the dude is getting to slap it into Melty Blood's steam edition too.

On day 1 after reading up trying to get a handle on things I felt a bit let down that this incredible mod wouldn't be apart of this official thing and now it looks like it actually will!

I looked it up. It looks similar to what Skullgirls does with its online.

So the game is essentially using GGPO in a way?

shaowebb

I looked it up. It looks similar to what Skullgirls does with its online.

So the game is essentially using GGPO in a way?

That'd be the gist of them getting CCCaster integrated into the Steam version of Melty. Its a rollback netcode just like how GGPO is a rollback netcode. It'd be huge.

s10satsu

Banned

Do we have Xrd sales compared to Accent Core? I know Blazblue has been winding down sales-wise in a sort of weird inverse relationship with its seeming popularity, but I have a hard time believing the same of Xrd compared to the XX games. Not that a 'Dark Age' would matter much to airdash players anyway since we got regular updates even back then.

OT: Hello, long time lurker new poster since /asg/, dustloop, and /fgg/ have slowed down to a crawl. Blackule and Cindi might remember me from leaving paragraphs on their Xrd youtube videos lol. Not sure how active I'll be since I'm playing DS3 and BNS at the moment, but nice meeting you guys. Mostly a GG/BB player from NorCal playing in tournies for about 14yrs now.

Lemstar

Do we have Xrd sales compared to Accent Core? I know Blazblue has been winding down sales-wise in a sort of weird inverse relationship with its seeming popularity, but I have a hard time believing the same of Xrd compared to the XX games.
https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/

I put together the sales data in the least readable format I could think of; have fun with it.

I don't think CPEX selling like shit is indicative of all that much, fwiw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom