• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

Noooooo don't leave meeeeeeeeeeeee. I can' t be Slash's lackey and your replacement for Chris and such, lol.

You don't have to be if you don't want to. =P

I don't think I was publicly acknowledged fwiw - just a lot of thanks on Sunday from Deniz and Dugg. But that's something I am hoping to fix if I decide to get involved more.

That's kind of the problem, no? It looks like you did a ton of shit this weekend, more so than the average person, but you didn't get acknowledged for it to everyone. Even if you don't want to get mentioned on say stream, to the attendees is pretty important if you're part of the core crew getting things done weeks in advance.

Prices went up because we're already capped on people at the venue. :/ I'm not sure having people come from casuals would have been a good thing (venue had someone on site frequently checking to make sure we didn't go past the limit from what I can tell). I am gonna ask how many casual badges we sold though; I don't think there were many.

That's a nonsensical reason though. If max occupancy is an issue, then spectating being free and casual badges being a thing at all are not good ideas. To be frank, the setups are all sourced from the community anyway. So there's no good basis to go to those prices especially when the cost the venue fee was low. I'm not saying you shouldn't seek to make a profit but 30 bucks for basically what amounts to 1 day of casuals is steep as heck.

I mean, if not many casual badges were sold as is, then that should tell you something. =P

phone coaching is absurd, but I always like coaching at tournies. Ive had friends say random shit in my ear, and it adds a layer that I just find interesting when watching streams

Was Champ actually getting coached on the phone? I was looking away so I couldn't tell, heh.

if they knew you had never beaten chrono trigger, they would block you outright

Wait, FACE hasn't finished Chrono Trigger!?

whatiswrongwithyou.gif

Kumubou

is this the first confirmation of KOF14 PC version?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ETA9WPU/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Here's my pet theory (that's almost certainly wrong in at least one major way) on this: remember how the XIV roster leak (which is now shown to be 100% confirmed) said that the China team was the main team story-wise and that the main market for the game was China? Releasing the game as a PS4 exclusive makes no sense if that is the case. Hell, even making it target PS4-level graphics makes no sense if that is the case, as a lot of PC cafe hardware is rather old. Most games in China are played on PC, either at LAN cafes or on self-owned PCs (which is happening more frequently now, as the hardware required for a box to play LoL or Dota 2 has gotten really cheap over the last few years). So they're making the game as a PS4 and PC game to get maximum exposure internationally (PC ver. for China, Southeast Asia and Latin America, PS4 version for US and European markets) and they also made the game very lightweight in terms of graphical demand so that it can run on a potato so people can play it at PC cafes. This also allows them to lower the budget per character so they can actually get a 50+ character roster without completely blowing out the budget.

So they're basically trying to do what Capcom wanted to do regarding international reach, except they're handling it much better in that regard. (Hopefully the size of China also causes them to take a serious look at the netcode....) So the next person that complains about KOF XIV's graphics (especially after the Epic/Microsoft Polygon story and thread from earlier today) can go screw off.

Sayad

is there any fighting game franchise where the first game is the best one

bushido blade maybe
There was this tuned down anime game(as in less combos and mobility than usual), which name I can't remember, some people like the first one but all I heard about the second is how shitty it was.

Kumubou

bushido blade maybe
The Touhou fighters that Twilight Frontier made. Immaterial and Missing Power >>> Scarlet Weather Rhapsody >>>>>>>>> Hopeless Masquerade (quite the fitting title, that).

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
You don't have to be if you don't want to. =P

The warm fuzzies I get from helping out are pretty nice though. :D

That's kind of the problem, no? It looks like you did a ton of shit this weekend, more so than the average person, but you didn't get acknowledged for it to everyone. Even if you don't want to get mentioned on say stream, to the attendees is pretty important if you're part of the core crew getting things done weeks in advance.

I don't think anyone gets a specific shoutout outside of casters giving shoutouts to each other as a game is transitioning to the next one. Also, at least this year, there was a pretty hardcore time constraint and there wasn't even more than a 2 minute "thank you for coming, making this an amazing place, now head to the after-party"

That's a nonsensical reason though. If max occupancy is an issue, then spectating being free and casual badges being a thing at all are not good ideas. To be frank, the setups are all sourced from the community anyway. So there's no good basis to go to those prices especially when the cost the venue fee was low. I'm not saying you shouldn't seek to make a profit but 30 bucks for basically what amounts to 1 day of casuals is steep as heck.

I mean, if not many casual badges were sold as is, then that should tell you something. =P

I can't imagine that many casual badges were sold, lol. I'd prefer to sell casual badges for either $10 for a given day (Friday or Sunday only), or $15 for all three days. I don't even know if we have casual setups on Saturdays, lol. We do but they tend to happen later in the evening.

Was Champ actually getting coached on the phone? I was looking away so I couldn't tell, heh.

I think he was trolling the stream. I thought I heard him jokingly yelling at his family for calling him right before a match.

Shouta

I can't imagine that many casual badges were sold, lol. I'd prefer to sell casual badges for either $10 for a given day (Friday or Sunday only), or $15 for all three days. I don't even know if we have casual setups on Saturdays, lol. We do but they tend to happen later in the evening.

That's what I would do. Maybe 20 if I were to push it a bit.

bushido blade maybe

Soulcalibur (discounting Soul Edge)

I'd agree with Bushido Blade and Soul Calibur. I enjoy SC2 a ton but SC1 is easily the best overall package.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
That's what I would do. Maybe 20 if I were to push it a bit.

Depends on the ticket sales - I'll get those numbers from them. If we sold a bunch, then, hell, keep the same all weekend price and make some day badges from 'em for a bit cheaper. :D

People who can only come for one day or what not. But I think a lot of that comes down to extra setups and such. I don't think we have that many on Saturday. But I'd love it to be a place where folks can come and play, and if we ever had the ability to move to a bigger venue like Highline, a place to even have newbie setups and panels and such.

jbug617

Banned
ChcKdnnU0AAm0m8.jpg

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
does XvSF count as a "first entry"? it has all the stupid of marvel 2 with better stages and a better roster.

Yep, lack of arcade release will allow the US on the map for an SF game.

The regular Japanese players who travel are still owning the US players tho.

I think Japan is yet to truly figure out its best players in SFV because of the lack of tournaments. Everyone is just assuming the traveling players are the absolute best because of sf4. The US doesn't have to deal with that uncertainty because there have already been 5 cpt events, winterbrawl, etc...

Nuu

Banned
I'm with Shadow Soldier. I benefit from having the proven transcription, verified by myriad eyes. Sometimes, there's details you just can't garner from a video that are vital to the execution of something. Guilty Gear is notorious for this. That's what made the forum culture of the FG community so fruitful in the 00's - in this way, every game was treated like a science. Now, it's just a bunch of figure heads ejecting into a social media miasma, as Kumubou described.

Maybe I'm just old school, but when discussion was consolidated into one or two websites, it made learning things much easier.

I don't even understand just how to navigate through twitter and face book chat. Even Reddit confuses me. I like stuff like GAF, SomethingAwful, and SRK. Shame that one of them is dead, the other is declining, and the other is turning into a news posting site.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Can't wait to see some Guile goodness this week. The Guile masters have been labbing it with him. Hopefully Die shows up to NLBC.

Dahbomb

Guile in SFV should be renamed to Guyelle.

This is not your daddy's Guile. Expect flash and swag. Even his zoning is flashy.

CC Forward + HP (manly back fist), dash up, st.HP (manly gut punch), cr.MP (manly crotch punch), Flash Kick cancel into Sonic Hurricane (manly buff muscles to show power).

I can't do this stuff but man when someone does this in a clutch situation it's going to be hype as hell. And that's just scratching the surface.

pixelish

Guile in SFV should be renamed to Guyelle.

This is not your daddy's Guile. Expect flash and swag. Even his zoning is flashy.

CC Forward + HP (manly back fist), dash up, st.HP (manly gut punch), cr.MP (manly crotch punch), Flash Kick cancel into Sonic Hurricane (manly buff muscles to show power).

I can't do this stuff but man when someone does this in a clutch situation it's going to be hype as hell. And that's just scratching the surface.

if you haven't watched it yet, chris g landed the flashy marvel-esque guile corner combo in a ranked match
http://oddshot.tv/shot/nychrisg-201605022366541

s10satsu

Banned
As a bit of a lab monster, discovering stuff on your own and optimizing it is a lot of fun personally. Figuring out how to do legit damage with BBCS Tsubaki or optimized Relius corner combos and the character specific stuff was great. Biscuits even had some cool streams with the Relius community back then where we'd throw shit out and collaborate. I can understand why some people just want to xcopy what works for jp players and get going competitively asap though.

I agree with how annoying it is to find info now. Used to have at least 1 or 2 guys per character who would keep up to date with stuff, and Japan had a nice consolidated BBS+Wiki for everything up until just recently with BBCF. Now you basically just follow twitter and hope somebody posts something from their Evernote or you happen to understand what looks like something that pertains to your character and google translate it.

Zissou

I think the fragmentation of information sources and splintering of fighting game talk amongst a million different hard-to-find social media avenues is a huge problem, and I don't know of any way to really address it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom