• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's only if you care about forums to begin with, and I'd almost be willing to bet money that there aren't nearly as many people who care about forums for info as you think.
it doesnt even necessarily have to be forums, Wikis work too, and there are definitely a large amount of people that care about them and use them for information in all genres.

Its sad when dengeki bunko fighting climax has one of the best english wikis for information

FACE

Banned
*mashes on advancing attack*

Rumblefish 2 is a huge improvement over the original... and it's still not that good. That should say something about the original game.

From my experience, LINE works about 100x better on mobile than Discord does. About half of my experience with Discord on mobile is "waiting to connect". That and LINE has 84736253837363 waifu stickers to spam people with.

Bolded the actual reason why Kumu likes Line.

ShinMaruku

king-of-fighters-cosplay-mai-shiranui-by-chinese-cosplayer-mei-wai-6.jpg

Izuna drops

Anne

Line is great, I'm on it like all the time :v add me.

Forums are not great btw, lots of reasons why the high end users don't use them. All we really need is archiving tbh, we have a bunch of evernotes and resources they all just get lost in time. Having a place to just put all those around would be p nice.

Personally though, I'd prefer there to be a bit better documentation on some things and for the low-mid level players to be better learners. The best thing I ever did to get better at fighting games was to learn how to learn. That's kind of a huge recurring problem in the smaller scenes in North America.

NEO0MJ

Forums are not great btw, lots of reasons why the high end users don't use them. All we really need is archiving tbh, we have a bunch of evernotes and resources they all just get lost in time. Having a place to just put all those around would be p nice.

I think that's why most want pros back in forums. It was really easy in the past to find what you want regarding your character. Nowadays it's pretty difficult to find info, doubly so if you just started.

Rhapsody

Banned
I like Line a lot. Really easy to just communicate with friends on my phone. Never used Line as a method to discuss fighting games though.
I don't think I'd like to use it for one either.

As for the archiving talk, that's my biggest problem. In forums, a lot of stuff don't get maintained after long periods of time. At best you'll get video threads staying updated, but everything else not so much. There's some neat tech and setups that I would just randomly come across by clicking on an old page that would never be mentioned again a lot of the time (like Dizzy's subtle fish laser delay in +R).

I learned a lot from Twitter, but that's extra terrible in terms of preserving info to where people can easily see it. Sometimes you'll have to dig through mentions just to find what you're looking for.

Edit: Evernotes are good but the problem is they don't really promote a place for discussion for some of the opinion pieces. A lot of it I just usually see people take top player's word for it and move on.

A while back I thought wikis would be a good place to organize resources moving forward, but somehow that hasn't really panned out. SRK wikis are incredibly inconsistent in quality, for example. I guess there just isn't a reward structure for contributing or moderating?

Anne

I think that's why most want pros back in forums. It was really easy in the past to find what you want regarding your character. Nowadays it's pretty difficult to find info, doubly so if you just started.

Kind of. T B H having as many match videos available as we do atm is actually something we take for granted which gives out books worth of info. We don't have good enough teachers to get stuff up to help people interpret that though, don't start teaching theory early enough, etc.

There is a lot more out there than people know but they just don't know what to do with it.

naw

does anyone have links to old Tekken competitive footage

like TTT1 or tekken 3. basically anything before T4

A while back I thought wikis would be a good place to organize resources moving forward, but somehow that hasn't really panned out. SRK wikis are incredibly inconsistent in quality, for example. I guess there just isn't a reward structure for contributing or moderating?

Not unless you count a pat on the back as a reward.

there isnt of course, its just interesting to me how other genres can have such in depth wikis whereas the fighting games just dont

FFXI, a near dead MMO still has well maintained wikis (mostly bg-wiki.com) with massive amount of information on all the complex shit that game is still throwing out.

That's only if you care about forums to begin with, and I'd almost be willing to bet money that there aren't nearly as many people who care about forums for info as you think.

Uh, yeah, that's a premise of mine: that people don't value the form and function of forums enough. I think people need convincing that there's nothing archaic or anachronistic about forums n relation to what's essentially replaced them.

I don't like wikis nearly as much, because they're not open to as much scrutiny and often fail to be promptly updated, if at all.

AAK

does anyone have links to old Tekken competitive footage

like TTT1 or tekken 3. basically anything before T4

Tekken 3

GamesMaster Tournament feat. a 19 Year Old Ryan Hart

This guy's channel has some of the reigning T3 champion Jackler's matches (who now works for Namco)

Others

TTT1 - There's a ton of these

Here's a trailer to Electric Cancel 5, back in the heyday of Tekken in the west. (You see a Teenage Aris during the SC2 sections)

Here is one of the most entertaining fights from EVO2k3 (with commentary)

But if you want the ultimate, here's a playlist of Jang Iksu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJfNEBVSJNQ&list=PL02DC523F94487700

This guys is historically the most dominant Tekken player of all time. He would travel all accross Japan (he's from Korea) and challenge every arcade he'd come across and leave undefeated.

There are loads of matches of TTT1, I can post more if you want.

naw

Tekken 3

GamesMaster Tournament feat. a 19 Year Old Ryan Hart

This guy's channel has some of the reigning T3 champion Jackler's matches (who now works for Namco)

Others

TTT1 - There's a ton of these

Here's a trailer to Electric Cancel 5, back in the heyday of Tekken in the west. (You see a Teenage Aris during the SC2 sections)

Here is one of the most entertaining fights from EVO2k3 (with commentary)

But if you want the ultimate, here's a playlist of Jang Iksu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJfNEBVSJNQ&list=PL02DC523F94487700

This guys is historically the most dominant Tekken player of all time. He would travel all accross Japan (he's from Korea) and challenge every arcade he'd come across and leave undefeated.

There are loads of matches of TTT1, I can post more if you want.
!!!! was hoping you'd answer. exactly the stuff I wanted, thanks man. i'll hit you up later for more tag 1 vids

Uh, yeah, that's a premise of mine: that people don't value the form and function of forums enough. I think people need convincing that there's nothing archaic or anachronistic about forums n relation to what's essentially replaced them.

I don't like wikis nearly as much, because they're not open to as much scrutiny and often fail to be promptly updated, if at all.

you would have better luck convincing people that Mega Man Legends 3 would make a profit than convince people to go back to forums, especially after SRK did everything they could to drive people away

Only problem with forums is that you have to dig for information in a thread. At least that was my experience on tym.
well this is why forums like the old SRK and Dustloop are good. Character specific forums, stickies with important information, and then discussion threads.

Its slightly better than a wiki in that regard, however the OPs need to be maintained by one person

A forum like GAF doesnt work, since this place is basically like longer lasting chatroom than a dedicated forum

Ads, top and bottom banners, very ugly layout, etc etc

I'm convinced that someone tricked Wizard into thinking all of that was a good idea so they could cash out.

CurlyW

I don't suppose some esportsy person could lobby Team Liquid to add a general FGC section to Liquipedia? They sponsor Nuckledu for crissake

Personally though, I'd prefer there to be a bit better documentation on some things and for the low-mid level players to be better learners. The best thing I ever did to get better at fighting games was to learn how to learn. That's kind of a huge recurring problem in the smaller scenes in North America.

Im all for a wiki style documentation on characters, but sadly for some reason nobody wants to keep that stuff updated for different games. The srk and DL ones have like no information for some characters which is pretty dumb

When a forum is busy, keeping an OP updated isn't even much of an issue. If a mod's unavailable, someone is typically capable of answering a question or helping with something within minutes.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
vulva, AAK, count, essay, will i see any of you at NB on saturday? my second to last toronto tournament... sniff...

Zissou

Only problem with forums is that you have to dig for information in a thread. At least that was my experience on tym.

At least you have the option of reading through past posts to find information. Stuff on twitter or in chat rooms just becomes impossible to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom